Sugarland Neglected
Gini

Oneonta, AL

#1 Mar 12, 2009
A tornado hit our area a year ago this month. The power was restored quite fast, the downed trees have long been cut up and mostly removed. BUT street signs are not back up. We live on a corner and the we carefully moved the cross street sign behind our shed. We called (again and again)to have it put back in place. Still a year later it remains there. Sure, we have some areas in Sugarland that are not kept up as well as others. However many of us take pride in our homes and should not be written off by our County Commisioner. If you are a proud homeowner here, please add your voice.
watchful

United States

#2 Mar 15, 2009
You don't know the half of it. The lake is being polluted with chemicals, the dam is in danger of collapse, and the lake is filling up with sludge at such a high rate soon there won't be a lake, yet no one will step up to fix the problem.
ditto

Oneonta, AL

#3 Mar 16, 2009
what kind of chemicals are being put in the lake, there is sludge in the lake where did it come from? sounds like the lake is really getting bad, yelk'
bewildered

United States

#4 Mar 17, 2009
The chem's are coming from farmers in the area. The toxin's are running off the soil into creeks that dump into the lake.

Then the toxin's go from sugarland to highland then to inland which is then used by the Birmingham water works. Drink up everyone!!
bewildered

United States

#5 Mar 17, 2009
Oh, by the way Sugarland Lake is listed in the National Dam Registry as a critical dam. If the dam breaks there is a high chance of loss of life and significant property damage.
ditto

Oneonta, AL

#6 Mar 18, 2009
the birmingham water works people , they keep a good check for any toxins in inland lake ,
bewildered

United States

#7 Mar 18, 2009
Birmingham water didn't even know that the toxins were being dumped into the water system, but Blount County knows and will not do anything about it. They also know about the condition of the dam and are not concerned.
bewildered

United States

#8 Mar 18, 2009
When the BWW was contacted about the toxins they were very concerned. When they attempted to go to Sugarland to test the water they were told to leave. A news crew from Birmingham attempted to come to an association meeting to ask questions about the problems at the lake and were told to leave because it was a closed meeting on private property.
bewildered

United States

#9 Apr 21, 2009
I don't understand why Blount County refuses to help the Sugarland Lake Community. The Sheriff's office will not respond to calls at the lake, the county will not help repair the dam or help clean up the lake from the sludge, and the roads are terrible.
Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#10 Apr 30, 2009
I understand that there is a scientist doing studies on highland lake, maybe he can take a look at our lake as well.
Raven

Oneonta, AL

#11 Jun 17, 2009
If what everyone is saying about Sugarland Lakes is true, what are the residents doing about it? Seems to me everyone has something to say but talk is cheap. Who's stepping up to do something to fix the problems? Are you waiting on other people to do it for you????????
bewildered

United States

#12 Jun 22, 2009
As far as the people that live in the community, most are at poverty level and do not have the financial means to fix the problems at the lake or they are renters to absentee landlords. The Federal, State, and County governments have been notified of the problem but they will not provide any help.
Raven

Oneonta, AL

#13 Jul 21, 2009
I agree that SOME of the residents are at the poverty level but that is not an excuse for not keeping the community clean. There are junk cars everywhere, yards with all kinds of garbage in them, ditches with so much trash in them it is unbelievable, yards that are overgrown, etc. How do you expect to get anyone to pay any attention to our community if the residents don't care. Whatever happen to neighbors helping each other????? If your not willing to try and better your community, don't expect others to care.
leslie

Oneonta, AL

#14 Jul 21, 2009
Raven, I agree. When I was looking to buy a home a few yrs back, my realtor took me up there to show me a very nice house, but the way some of the places looked, I told him I would never want to live in that area. Frankly, it looked BELOW poverty level, I am talking white trash meth trailers and such! I would fear for the safety of myself and my home in that area, it had a criminal element to it.
leslie

Oneonta, AL

#15 Jul 21, 2009
I want to add to my above comment that it is a shame that it has been allowed to become what it is...I know at one time it was a beautiful place and in some parts it still is.

I realized that I may have sounded a little mean and that was not my purpose.
bewildered

United States

#16 Jul 23, 2009
There are some trailers that are in bad shape and even some houses. I have talked to some of these people and they are elderly and in some cases unable to get out and do work. One individual that lives in the area is in bad shape. The roof of his house has collapsed and water is coming into the home. He is elderly and on SSI so he does not have the financial means to fix the roof. But some people expect individuals like this to find $300,000.00 to fix a dam. And lets not forget if the dam breaks everything below the dam floods and other people will die! So this isn't about the trashy neighborhood it is about a community and the people that live in the area. When it does break I can hear the people on TV, "Why didn't somebody do something to prevent this!"
bewildered

United States

#17 Aug 12, 2009
The Senate Appropriations Committee refused to fund the repairs for the dam. However they did send $500,000.00 to Hoover to plant some grass and shrubs. This is insane!! Anyone that lives in this area should be furious! Send a letter to your representative and tell them that this needs to be fixed before someone dies!!
PATTY

United States

#18 Mar 29, 2012
I LIVE ON SUGARLAND LAKE, AND I HAVE A HOUSE THERE BUT i FEEL LIKE i LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK AND YES THESE TRAILER ARE IN BAD SHAPE, IS THERE NOT ANY RULES TO LIVE THERE, IT DON'T MATTER WHAT INCOME YOU HAVE YOU CAN GET OUT AND WORK IN YOUR YARD AND FIX IT UP IT DOSENT HAVE TO LOOK LIKE WHITE TRASH,IM SURE THERE ARE CRACK HEADS EVERY WHERE. BUT COME ON GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE LETS WORK TOGETHER AND FIX IT UP. IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME HELP JUST ASK I WILL HELP WHERE I CAN.
Brian

Oneonta, AL

#19 Tuesday May 12
I have lived on Sugarland Lake since 1980 or so. I have seen vast improvements throughout that time. When I was discharged from the Navy in 1990, I CHOSE to come back here. I have raised 3 daughters and now have 4 grandchildren, all on the lake. What we have may not be much but it is ours. Yes, there are quite a few run down places on both lakes but there are also people who take pride in what they have. I was recently elected to the Association board and my eyes were open to many things. First, of the 200+ residents on both lakes, there are only 10 that are members who have joined the association. At only $35 per year, that is a total of $350 for the entire year. That is supposed to pay for upkeep of the spillway road, two boat launches and a building. The building was rented once last year for $150 which doesn't even pay for the utilities. The attitude of many residents is that problems with the association board many years ago are the same as now. Once again, people living in the past. Many things could happen on and near the lake if people would just have a vision and idea. A $30,000 grant was given a couple years back to repair the spillway at the little lake but due to the abuse by people (donuts on the road, overweight vehicles, etc) the work was done in vain. Neither of the boat launches can be repaired until money is available. As for the comment about all residents living BELOW poverty level, that is a joke. I for one (and MANY others who live here) am NOT below poverty level but rather, as I said, choose to live here. Drugs, drug dealers, addicts, etc. are present and the reason is that people have allowed it to happen. Too many people choose to turn their head to a problem rather than do something about it and expect others to fix it. In the mean time, nothing is done. As for chemicals dumped into the lake, where is the proof from that? Please cite where that information comes from, otherwise, it is just a rumor. As for the "sludge", that is due to erosion and run off into the lake. That could be fixed, again, if there were money and there is no money because people choose to stay away from the association and they stay away from the association because of years past issues. In a sense, things are broke because the residents are allowing it to be broken and they allow it to be that way because they expect someone else to fix it. ONLY the residents of the lakes are responsible for the problems and ONLY the residents can fix it.
Finally, if someone has an issue, contact the association members and/or board with questions rather than following rumors or hearsay. That's the only way to get to the truth. I am on FB and a private message will always be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneonta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
please help me with question (Dec '06) Tue Ex-citizen 7
so what really happened to Candace Guajardo (May '12) May 22 Reaper 99
All investigations against Blount/Oneonta Courts May 15 Curiouser 2
News The curious tales of 4 oddly named Alabama town... May 15 Tighthole 1
All the CORRUPTION in BLOUNT COUNTY, ALABAMA (Feb '11) May 12 scaredtouserealname 68
jessica nicole nolen Apr '15 jessies new marri... 1
Judge Steven King (Jun '11) Apr '15 aquafox2015 46
More from around the web

Oneonta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]