Swann & Easley Covered Bridges, Blount County, Alabama

There are 13 comments on the Alabama Live story from Aug 9, 2007, titled Swann & Easley Covered Bridges, Blount County, Alabama. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Posted by J Goforth July 31, 2007 12:24 AM A Goforth When I posted about the Horton Mill covered bridge , I mentioned that we had been unable to find these two bridges. via Alabama Live

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

William Glenn

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2007
When I went to Blount County High School in 1944 , we hung out at the covered bridges. It was great. Who built the covered bridges , when ??
becky

Oneonta, AL

#2 Oct 19, 2007
William Glenn wrote:
When I went to Blount County High School in 1944 , we hung out at the covered bridges. It was great. Who built the covered bridges , when ??
easley bridge was built in 1927 horton bridge in 1935
becky

Oneonta, AL

#3 Oct 19, 2007
you can go to yahoo.com and type in blount county alabama covered bridges and search and you will find a lot of imformation i did
William Glenn

United States

#4 Oct 22, 2007
Thank you becky, I went to yahoo .com & typed in blount county Covered Bridges & asked who built Blount County coveres bridges...... The Tidwell families built them.
becky

Oneonta, AL

#5 Oct 22, 2007
you are welcome come back to blount county again . glad to help you
Tammy

United States

#6 Jul 18, 2009
does anyone know why there is a sign on swan bridge road that reads "bridge out 1 mile"
John D

United States

#7 Aug 30, 2009
Tammy wrote:
does anyone know why there is a sign on swan bridge road that reads "bridge out 1 mile"
I visited the Horton Mill and Easley bridges this weekend. Both are closed. Relatives who live near the bridges told me the Horton Mill Bridge was recently damaged by vandalism. It hasn't been determined whether the bridge is safe, so it's been closed. The other covered bridges may be closed because they could have suffered similar abuse. It may take a long time and a lot of money to determine the extent of damage and make repairs, if indeed the bridges can be repaired. At least they're still there, and can be visited even if they can't be used. I'm reminded of the historic L&N Cane Creek Branch railroad trestle in north Jefferson County, which was totally destroyed by arson about three years ago (google 'l&n cane creek railroad trestle' for information on that historic structure).
Lindsey

Cuba, AL

#8 Sep 25, 2009
Are you still able to drive up to the bridges? i remember my taking us all around to see all the covered bridges when i was little and have seriously been considering taking my own trip now. I want to get pictures too. Does anyone know??
Charlie

Sylacauga, AL

#9 Mar 30, 2010
I went to Swann Covered Bridge last week (March 24) and parked at the bridge. You just can not drive across the bridge.
whistlin_dixie

Oneonta, AL

#10 May 22, 2012
Blount County is known as the Covered Bridge Capital of Alabama because it is the only county with three historic covered bridges still standing.

In Spring of 2011 a group of concerned citizens came together to our damaged covered bridges fixed. Within a few short months these citizens were able to push the issue forward with the State of Alabama and the Blount County Commission.

In October/November 2011, repairs began on the Easley covered bridge (c1927). The Swann bridge (c1933) has had the decking removed and is awaiting replacement. This Summer the Horton Mill (c1934) bridge will get it's restoration also.

It has been a long time coming but action by a few citizens, assistance from the media and cooperation with local and state officials, our bridges are set to reopen to take weight-limited vehicles; i.e. cars, small trucks and the like.

The Covered Bridge Festival is held in October. There is a website to the group to formed a non-profit and got the ball rolling. There is a lot of history about the bridges, with photos, too.

Hope this helps.
whistlin_dixie

Oneonta, AL

#11 May 22, 2012
Diane

Overland Park, KS

#12 Sep 4, 2012
Swann, Horton and Easley Bridges are all closed due to them not passing inspection is what I was told.
Mitt Sucks

Ashburn, VA

#13 Sep 20, 2012
yup

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneonta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
so what really happened to Candace Guajardo (May '12) May 22 Reaper 99
All investigations against Blount/Oneonta Courts May 15 Curiouser 2
News The curious tales of 4 oddly named Alabama town... May 15 Tighthole 1
All the CORRUPTION in BLOUNT COUNTY, ALABAMA (Feb '11) May 12 scaredtouserealname 68
Sugarland Neglected (Mar '09) May 12 Brian 19
jessica nicole nolen Apr '15 jessies new marri... 1
Judge Steven King (Jun '11) Apr '15 aquafox2015 46
More from around the web

Oneonta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]