Death investigation underway in Bloun...

Death investigation underway in Blount County

There are 57 comments on the NBC13.com story from Jun 18, 2009, titled Death investigation underway in Blount County. In it, NBC13.com reports that:

An investigation is underway to determine how a Blount County man died. Coroner John Mark Vaughn tells NBC13HD News the body of Michael Shannon Watkins, 37, was found in his home on St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC13.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
josie

Oneonta, AL

#1 Jun 28, 2009
This is terrible news. Limestone Springs is or was the perfect place. I would not be shocked to hear this had happened in certain parts of Oneonta or other Blount towns, but this is truly a shocker.

Crime is certainly increasing in this area, and it seems to be major crimes in many cases. Also, the town is not looking very well in areas. The main street in town and around the courthouse, etc look nice, but when you go over a couple of blocks, it looks rather seedy. Some of the older business buildings are in bad repair, too.

When I drive into town, I feel maybe a sign that reads "Abandon hope all ye who enter" might be appropriate.
Marie

Oneonta, AL

#2 Jun 28, 2009
How could you say anything about Oneonta looking or being bad? You are from Joppa by all places. I guess this describes why you would make a comment such as this.
josie wrote:
This is terrible news. Limestone Springs is or was the perfect place. I would not be shocked to hear this had happened in certain parts of Oneonta or other Blount towns, but this is truly a shocker.
Crime is certainly increasing in this area, and it seems to be major crimes in many cases. Also, the town is not looking very well in areas. The main street in town and around the courthouse, etc look nice, but when you go over a couple of blocks, it looks rather seedy. Some of the older business buildings are in bad repair, too.
When I drive into town, I feel maybe a sign that reads "Abandon hope all ye who enter" might be appropriate.
me too

Oneonta, AL

#3 Jun 29, 2009
Marie wrote:
How could you say anything about Oneonta looking or being bad? You are from Joppa by all places. I guess this describes why you would make a comment such as this.<quoted text>
dearie, Marie...my internet service provider, I am on wireless...has my signal coming out of joppa. I am in Oneonta. I am sick and tired of all you trying to defend what is taking place around here!! You should get angry. Just because Oneonta looks a little better than say, Joppa..you think it's perfectly acceptable?
beth

Covington, LA

#4 Jul 1, 2009
yes the crime is going up i have lived here 25 years by limestone you could be killed by just walking down the road it is on
leslie

Oneonta, AL

#5 Jul 4, 2009
josie wrote:
This is terrible news. Limestone Springs is or was the perfect place. I would not be shocked to hear this had happened in certain parts of Oneonta or other Blount towns, but this is truly a shocker.
Crime is certainly increasing in this area, and it seems to be major crimes in many cases. Also, the town is not looking very well in areas. The main street in town and around the courthouse, etc look nice, but when you go over a couple of blocks, it looks rather seedy. Some of the older business buildings are in bad repair, too.
When I drive into town, I feel maybe a sign that reads "Abandon hope all ye who enter" might be appropriate.
I have to agree.
JT DAWG

Oneonta, AL

#6 Jul 9, 2009
beth wrote:
yes the crime is going up i have lived here 25 years by limestone you could be killed by just walking down the road it is on
Yeah I know, hwy 1 is a death trap too. I have always wondered why limestone is in Oneonta police dist. and not Blount County??
Suzie

Oneonta, AL

#7 Jul 14, 2009
I have been living here for 10 years. I know that the meth epidemic is nation wide but here in blount county, it stuns me to see how many of the people arrested for meth use get right back out with no time spent, including people who have multiple arrest. Drug users are responsible for a lot of our crime. They steal to support their habit. It is a shame that tax payers money is spent to arrest these people just to see them easily back out on the street the next day. If they were just hurting themselves it would be one thing, but a lot of them buy their next fix by helping to sell the stuff, and help make it available to our kids. I feel that these criminals need to be locked up for a year or more and not let out so easily. They also know how to pass the drug test that the probation officers give them, this is a fact.
sick of it

Oneonta, AL

#8 Jul 16, 2009
I agree with Susie 100%. Everytime I go out in Oneonta to stores, etc I see obvious meth addicts, you can spot them...dirty, covered in sores, thin, crazy looking.

Law enforcement in a huge joke here
wondering

Oneonta, AL

#9 Jul 16, 2009
has any one heard how the death investigation came out is it still being investigated, just wondering , have not heard any thing , i agree with susie blount county is bad for drugs now ,did this death do u think have any thing to do with drugs, did any of u click on to edith cheney topix and read it , if so what do u think ,
sick of it

Oneonta, AL

#10 Jul 17, 2009
wondering wrote:
has any one heard how the death investigation came out is it still being investigated, just wondering , have not heard any thing , i agree with susie blount county is bad for drugs now ,did this death do u think have any thing to do with drugs, did any of u click on to edith cheney topix and read it , if so what do u think ,
I have not heard anything else since this article appeared. Who knows what the police are not doing? Yes, I went to see the Edith Cheney thread and I was shocked, confused and troubled. Someone is even saying that police were involved making it look as if the boy hung himself. Trouble is, I do not put it past the opd to do such a thing.
wondering

Oneonta, AL

#11 Jul 17, 2009
i dont know but i dont see where the opd would have any thing to do with it or trying to cover up anything there , it was just so sad that a young man lost his life , that is what the drug world dose and here is another death possiably related to drugs as the rummor gose , but u can hear all kinds of rumors here in the county, these two deaths were within 2 miles of one another , there were two men one who also lived on county 1 who disapeared, a few years ago, not solved yet it to is beleived to be drug related, i guess when it starts it just goes on an on , its just sad our beloved blount county has come to this, but crime allways come with county growth, the more it grows the sadder it the county becomes , all we can do is pray , that the lord will guide and protect us ,
sick of it

Oneonta, AL

#12 Jul 18, 2009
Wondering, in the thread in the other forum, people were saying that the pd were involved due to the cheney's financial influence. Who knows? Lots of people from the boy's family were angry and put pressure on the pd to reopen the case and the were reluctant to do so
wondering

Oneonta, AL

#13 Jul 19, 2009
i dont know if they covered up any thing or not , vics family should of have asked the state, to investigate , if they thought any thing was covered up ,
sick of it

Oneonta, AL

#14 Jul 19, 2009
I agree. The state needs to look into a lot of things going on up here. Just my opinion, of course, but I'm sure there would be much uncovered
durr

Oneonta, AL

#15 Jul 21, 2009
i wonder if drugs were involed in the death of mr watkins at limestone springs, i heard it was, but we may never know , i wonder what is taking the investigation so long ,
sick of it

Oneonta, AL

#16 Jul 21, 2009
durr wrote:
i wonder if drugs were involed in the death of mr watkins at limestone springs, i heard it was, but we may never know , i wonder what is taking the investigation so long ,
Usually when anything happens people automatically assume drugs were to blame, and up here, it usually is the truth, drugs are to blame. Such a shame

Judged:

14

13

2

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
do something to help

Oneonta, AL

#17 Jul 30, 2009
Wakeup

Oneonta, AL

#18 Jul 30, 2009
do something to help wrote:
http://www.blountcountian.com/ news/2009-07-29/News/Oneonta_p olice_seize_potential_meth_lab .html
So in other words, any resident in the county who has a stopped up sink and God forbid, allergies and sinus problems, goes out one day and buys the products needed to fix their problems....whoops! wait!! That sinus troubled resident with plumbing issues now has the makings of a potential meth lab!
who be da sqeak

United States

#19 Aug 5, 2009
Wakeup wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words, any resident in the county who has a stopped up sink and God forbid, allergies and sinus problems, goes out one day and buys the products needed to fix their problems....whoops! wait!! That sinus troubled resident with plumbing issues now has the makings of a potential meth lab!
You know, I thought the same thing when I read the article mentioned above. I do not live far from that street and I do not know of any suspicious activity going on...people seem to be quiet, etc on that street. They responded to a call giving them a tip? It could have been someone nursing a grudge trying to cause trouble for those people. "Potential meth lab" is no reason to invade someone's home, if they have not been cooking the stuff. Lots of potential meth labs exist in many homes, I imagine. We are becoming a police state. Hope these people sue the city.
concerned cuz

Knoxville, TN

#20 Aug 9, 2009
Shannon Watkins is/was my cousin. We haven't heard anything other than they have four avenues they are investigating. I do know a US Marshall and private investigator was brought in to help but it has been almost two months and nothing!!! I would love to know who to contact to have this investigation put on the front burner. It doesn't matter what he was or wasn't doing, he did not deserve to be murdered and he WAS murdered.

Judged:

15

14

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneonta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
so what really happened to Candace Guajardo (May '12) May 13 Unknown 102
Blount County Sheriff's Deputies=JOKE!!! (Sep '10) Apr 24 Cindyann 9
kathy tidmore (Sep '08) Apr '17 Ex-citizen 28
All the CORRUPTION in BLOUNT COUNTY, ALABAMA (Feb '11) Apr '17 ex-citizen 84
News Runoff election today for District 34 House seat (Dec '12) Mar '17 Heavens Blue 2
Sugarland Neglected (Mar '09) Mar '17 breid1966 25
Blount County law enforcement (Nov '14) Feb '17 Judge And Jury 7

Oneonta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oneonta Mortgages