Highland communications

Posted in the Oneida Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wendy

United States

#1 May 12, 2010
Is there an after hours number to call when your highspeed Internet goes out?
I wish

Philadelphia, PA

#2 May 12, 2010
The after hours number they list in the phone book is the same as the regular number. My Internet has been out all afternoon, I'm posting this from my cellphone. So frustrating....
What we need

Lancing, TN

#3 May 13, 2010
What we need is AT&T or someone big to come around here and let highland see what if feels like to get screwed because that is all they do to everyone. We could get a faster DSL for half the price we are paying now.
GARY

Strunk, KY

#4 May 13, 2010
well the internet is owned by highland telephone company.i don't know for sure but i think highland telephone has something in the county laws or something like that to stop any other company to open a telephone company here in scott county.i heard something about this about 20 years ago.it is the same way with the cable company and there internet.i have highland as internet but i have dishnetwork as tv.they are several different ones in knoxville as my brother has comcast ans he told me and i have seen it is better then at&t. it is faster.so unless some body has the way of getting these companies to look into this county with a good lawyer then we might can get something else here. by the way you know we did not get the McDonalds here til 1984 and oak ridge plus others already had one. so scott county is about 25 years behind times.
Hello

Parkers Lake, KY

#5 May 13, 2010
What we need wrote:
What we need is AT&T or someone big to come around here and let highland see what if feels like to get screwed because that is all they do to everyone. We could get a faster DSL for half the price we are paying now.
It wasnt highlands fault their backbone provider had 2 fiber cuts out side of highlands area. Nothing they could do but wait for it to be fixed. Anyone on those providers AT&T, joe blow internet whatever were out as well. Those big backbone cables carry 100's of fiber optic lines that have to each be precision "spliced back together individually.

“\m/”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#6 May 13, 2010
glad i have telepage and mine wasn't down. :)
GARY

Strunk, KY

#7 May 13, 2010
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasnt highlands fault their backbone provider had 2 fiber cuts out side of highlands area. Nothing they could do but wait for it to be fixed. Anyone on those providers AT&T, joe blow internet whatever were out as well. Those big backbone cables carry 100's of fiber optic lines that have to each be precision "spliced back together individually.
my brothers was not down in knoxville as he has comcast.
Hello back at ya

Oneida, TN

#8 May 13, 2010
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
My Access Internet wasnt down in McCreary Co. And YES it was highlands Server that was down in Nashville, they had to reroute thru NC, so dont come spew $hit you know NOTHING about.
friend

Oneida, TN

#9 May 13, 2010
well i think highland charges too much for there service ! And are's is out 2 and 3 times a week.
everytime you get a bill it has new charges on it. i wish a bell south would come in. my daughter had it and it was a lot cheaper and there dial-up work as good are high speed here. i bet they won't let a bell south come in if they did highland would shut down!

“\m/”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 May 14, 2010
bellsouth doesn't exist anymore. i used to work for them. at&t bought them and cingular out years ago.
What about cable

Oneida, TN

#11 May 14, 2010
I heard highland was providing digital cable to some areas. Does anyone have it? and is it any good? I do not have any Tv at all, I get one station using the digital box, sometimes two if we are lucky and the second is a weather channel. Comcast is not available where I live, though my neighbor's but they will not run it on to my house b/c the houses between us have satellite, which I can not afford. I don't know how highland's cable works but I do have phone and Internet service though them, and yes it is expensive and slow (Phone bills went up again this month, some new charge added?) But I guess that's life ! I was just wondering if when they are installing digital cable if they were going to service the ares that comcast is unavailable first, or are some areas going to have both to chose from and some neither or what?
GARY

Strunk, KY

#12 May 14, 2010
What about cable wrote:
I heard highland was providing digital cable to some areas. Does anyone have it? and is it any good? I do not have any Tv at all, I get one station using the digital box, sometimes two if we are lucky and the second is a weather channel. Comcast is not available where I live, though my neighbor's but they will not run it on to my house b/c the houses between us have satellite, which I can not afford. I don't know how highland's cable works but I do have phone and Internet service though them, and yes it is expensive and slow (Phone bills went up again this month, some new charge added?) But I guess that's life ! I was just wondering if when they are installing digital cable if they were going to service the ares that comcast is unavailable first, or are some areas going to have both to chose from and some neither or what?
some areas of the county do have highland media. you just have to call highland telephone co. to find out if it is available in your area.i know how you feel as i had comcast tv and i moved out to coopertown and where i was at they did not have it. so i had to get dish or direct to watch tv.i go tdish and still have it even i though i moved back into town.i have the basic cable so i can watch local 4,5 and have dish for the others.they do have different prices for dish so you might check it out.as far as internet there is another internet provider here called inix or something like that but it still goes thru highland phone lines.we will not get something like comcast high speed internet here in my life time and right now i am 52 years old. some of my friends have that fiber optic where they live at and they tell me that it is not any good.i do know that verizon has one that you plug into your computer. so good luck.
none

Sunbright, TN

#13 May 14, 2010
i haven't had any problems with highland. and i like the cable too. you get digital cable with them for the same price as basic cable from comcast.
Customer

Lancing, TN

#14 May 14, 2010
I don't know about their cable but I do have their DSL. And I work for a company who has comcast in Oak Ridge and they business plays less for comcast than I do for my speed. You have to be crazy not to see that Highland is screwing us. I have family that works for them and even they will tell you that.
GARY

Strunk, KY

#15 May 14, 2010
yep so do i. right now i have the lowest on dsl and i am paying 95.00 for my internet.they increased it 5.00.i have to pay for phone,internet,dsl service,along with equipment rental. when i lived in ga or oak ridge i paid half that for another line and just used dial up.it was faster then.my brother uses comcast and he pays about what i pay but he has internet along with digital cable.i also found out that comcast cable here is filtered thru direct tv.that is why i have dish for tv and highland for internet.but like i also said it be a long time before scott county get something like comcast internet and tv all in one package. highland is trying to do that now but it is highland and nobody else.
none

Sunbright, TN

#16 May 14, 2010
GARY wrote:
yep so do i. right now i have the lowest on dsl and i am paying 95.00 for my internet.they increased it 5.00.i have to pay for phone,internet,dsl service,along with equipment rental. when i lived in ga or oak ridge i paid half that for another line and just used dial up.it was faster then.my brother uses comcast and he pays about what i pay but he has internet along with digital cable.i also found out that comcast cable here is filtered thru direct tv.that is why i have dish for tv and highland for internet.but like i also said it be a long time before scott county get something like comcast internet and tv all in one package. highland is trying to do that now but it is highland and nobody else.
I'm sorry but I dont believe that you're paying 95 for the lowest speed, when i had the second and its only around 55. and now i have the bundle of phone internet and the optic dsl and it only runs around 130 a month after taxes.
Stoopid iz

Robbins, TN

#17 May 14, 2010
I don't care what anyone says good or bad about Highland it is all we have an all we will ever have because they will not allow anyone else in.
My internet and phone stays out alot more than I feel it should. I really feel that I do not get I pay for but I have no alternative as that I am in a cell phone dead zone also.
I think that Highland could give better service but I have been led to believe that they really do not care.
As for this raise in the bill my guess is it is going to pay for the cable service they are trying to install. I wonder how many millions they need to generate annually to stay operative and how much more they need to install a cable system. After all $5.00 per month times the amount of phone numbers in the phone book is a substantial amount of increase in monthly revenues before you count the business increase of $8.00. Things like this really make me wonder who is managing or mis-managing this so called co-operative.
GARY

Strunk, KY

#18 May 14, 2010
none wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry but I dont believe that you're paying 95 for the lowest speed, when i had the second and its only around 55. and now i have the bundle of phone internet and the optic dsl and it only runs around 130 a month after taxes.
give me your email address and i'll scan in my bill and show you. i am paying for the lowest 95.00. it was 90 til they raised up for there services 5.00.one they will not run the optic to where i live unless i go around and get all the neighbors to sign something.i live in the city limits of oneida. better yet here is what i am paying.local service-14.73 equipment charge 3.25 internet 19.95 dsl universal service charge 1.95 dsl 26.00 special features 9.45 e911 .65 federal access 6.50 inside wire maintenance 6.50 hcc universal service charge .39 federal universal service charge .99 federal tax 1.88 state tax 4.63 local tax 1.58 total amount due 94.95. like i said they will not run the optic cable to where i live at unless i go around to neighbors and i live in the city limits. i do know that outside the city limits they ran the same cables for free as when i asked about it i had to pay a fee. so do not tell me i am not paying 95.00 for the lowest.
highland sucks

Oneida, TN

#19 May 14, 2010
GARY wrote:
<quoted text>
give me your email address and i'll scan in my bill and show you. i am paying for the lowest 95.00. it was 90 til they raised up for there services 5.00.one they will not run the optic to where i live unless i go around and get all the neighbors to sign something.i live in the city limits of oneida. better yet here is what i am paying.local service-14.73 equipment charge 3.25 internet 19.95 dsl universal service charge 1.95 dsl 26.00 special features 9.45 e911 .65 federal access 6.50 inside wire maintenance 6.50 hcc universal service charge .39 federal universal service charge .99 federal tax 1.88 state tax 4.63 local tax 1.58 total amount due 94.95. like i said they will not run the optic cable to where i live at unless i go around to neighbors and i live in the city limits. i do know that outside the city limits they ran the same cables for free as when i asked about it i had to pay a fee. so do not tell me i am not paying 95.00 for the lowest.
highland suck there to high for the speed we get and there are rude when you call them
telepage user

Oneida, TN

#20 May 14, 2010
all you people should check with telepage. I pay 39.95 and have had no problems

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scott county Confederate Flag Rally 3 min such an idiot 20
need relationship help 31 min sassy 6
Shot 1 hr over schools 6
Mike's gas station (May '12) 4 hr Pop 11
Has anybody seen Charlie Goad lately (Aug '10) 5 hr Butterfly 12
Brandy Vanover? 9 hr uhoh 8
Robin Wynne 9 hr Wondering 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oneida Mortgages