wake up scott county
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
my opinion

United States

#1 Aug 28, 2012
Its time to wake up scott co. And pass the liquor law so we can spend the money in our town. We have beer sales, drugs, and religion . Advantages of liquor sales would help our community in so many ways with just the liquor tax alone. New police equipment and personnel, ambulances, hwy maintenance, update parks, create NEW JOBS!!!! And bring more business to exiting companies, such as restaurants, hotels, car body shops, insurance companies, hospital if it ever reopens. Stop and look around you see people buying beer, wine coolers all the time going home and enjoying themselves and yes you have the ones who choose to drink and drive and thats just double money, we done collected the tax now our courts collect even more in fines. Come people wake up we are losing money every day without liquor sales tax. Would you rather deal with a drunk or a meth head? Yes both can kill but you can get over a hangover and live a good life, meth or drugs you cant your brain is gone. Apple bee, out back, red lobster, all sell liquor and would be a new place to eat and work!!! MONEY PEOPLE MONEY!!! It will help our community. Another example when huntsville holds the white knuckle event tourist buy liquor in campbell co.but we write the tickets but dont collect the tax from the sale of the products. That money could be used to build a trail just for four wheelers to travel on instead of the hwy. When is the last time we collected tax from drug sales? Wait didn't jesus drink wine? Aaa never mind let our money go to other counties instead of ours let them continue to grow and build while we suffer.
country girl

Wartburg, TN

#2 Aug 28, 2012
I think they should pass the liquor law.I can remember Cookville was not much more than Oneida until after they passed the liquor law. I have had family over there for years and watched it grow after the law passed. I saw restaurants go up and other businesses open up.
I am not a drinker myself but I cannot see any difference in having beer joints and liquor stores.

Scott County is way behind the times.

Restaurants make most of their money from liquor sales and they don't want to locate in places they can't sell it.
Interesting

Helenwood, TN

#3 Aug 28, 2012
How do we get it on the agenda, again? Scott County is behind in the times. No matter what we think or how we feel, change comes everyday in life. But, the people of Scott County hurt themselves because they feel it's not right. Well, liquor by the drink is no worse than selling the legal beer.
OICTO-Tighe

Oakdale, TN

#4 Aug 28, 2012
The Scott County bootlegger/preacher coalition in wet/dry elections manifests behavior to force the real majority to buy OUT of County OR from local bootleggers!
The honest pro taxed spirits voting minorty is bullied by a majority of votes!

The sleepers DO NOT CARE! They won't AWAKEN because they DO NOT give a SH*T!
country girl

Wartburg, TN

#5 Aug 28, 2012
I am not sure how to get it on the agenda but it may have to come up before the County Commissioners.

But I think it is the Southern Baptist that keep it out of Scott County.

And while I am not putting down the Baptist or any other groups that may be against it, that is their preference.

There are Baptist that live in other counties that have the Liquor Law and they cope with it.

It is as simple as this.

They don't have to go in the Liquor stores, they don't have to drink liquor in the restaurants that serve it or even sit near the bar if it offends them.

You know, the mayor himself has said "Do your shopping in Scott County" If Scott County had more choices to shop, eat, places for entertainment and recreation and such I am sure people would not go out of town and spend the extra gas money.

The tax from liquor sales would help provide such places.
Nucking Futs

Oneida, TN

#6 Aug 28, 2012
McCreary co is voting TODAY on the wet/dry issue and I'm sure that it will go in, I see so so so many people from Ky buying beer at Lee's in Windfield,Thats really gonna hurt when McCreary countians start keeping their beer tax money!
voter

Oneida, TN

#7 Aug 28, 2012
OICTO-Tighe wrote:
The Scott County bootlegger/preacher coalition in wet/dry elections manifests behavior to force the real majority to buy OUT of County OR from local bootleggers!
The honest pro taxed spirits voting minorty is bullied by a majority of votes!
The sleepers DO NOT CARE! They won't AWAKEN because they DO NOT give a SH*T!
Once again, someone is upset because someone else doesn't have the same views as them. I will never vote for it. But, its not because I don't give a crap, its because that is how I feel, I don't get mad at people who don't feel the same as me. That said, I do feel that someday it will pass and 20 yrs after it passes we will find out if the taxes from liquer sales saves us. Maybe someday they will have an election were the minorty wins!
uhmm

Oneida, TN

#8 Aug 28, 2012
Every county around us is doing better than us. Our unemployment rate is about 22%; Campbell, Anderson, Roane, etc.(all with liquor sales) have an unemployment rate of about 11-12%. Knoxville 6.5%. I agree with wake up people...you don't have to drink if you don't believe in it, but those who do should have the right to do so as well...WITHOUT spending all their money in other counties. McCreary County votes TODAY! It will put us further in the hole, county and property and school tax wise. We've become a bigggg SINK HOLE and it's gettin deeper every day!

If you're against it, fine, don't drink...but just think of all the souls you can try to save! Of course, you're probably doing drugs instead...not taxed in any way for it. Sin tax has always helped bump up the economy in hard times. I know the Town of Huntsville tried to vote it in and missed by 11 votes both times. I have no idea why 11 people even CARED what everybody else is doing. I also have noooo idea WHY the Town of Winfield has not tried to vote it in, since the whole place/services/school was built on taxes from beer sales to KY and TN. The Irish and Scots Irish have been known for centuries to drink on Fri. and Sat./church on Sunday asking God to forgive their many sins...not all for drinkin. Preacher Sharp in the early 1900's used to put his gun on the pulpit in a tent up at the state line...in case any of his attendees got out of line, but they did show up to be preached AT.

What amazes me the most is how backward we insist on and claim to be, all the while being famous for 150 yrs. of illegal moonshine production and NOW highest (big downfall) drug infested/unemployed county! Perhaps we need a distillery or winery to employee a lot of people, like Jack Daniels in Middle TN does, ship all over the world, instead of all this illegal or under the table stuff. I know we know how to grow corn, potatoes and grapes! Too bad Popcorn Sutton didn't live to see his stuff being sold legally at $30.00 a quart! He'd have been a rich old guy instead of going to jail/dyin...like the Kennedys of Massachusetts! Just sayin...
Nucking Futs

Oneida, TN

#9 Aug 28, 2012
Do NOT go to McCreary Co today whatever you do!!!
I steped across the line to see what the wet/dry vote turnout looked like, OMG the noise will totally deafen you, the polls are swarmed,Sounds worse than locust year with all the false teeth clinking and clattering together.
unoit

Lancing, TN

#10 Aug 28, 2012
you can think the Southern Baptist for what we are today look around we have nothing
Anonymous

Oneida, TN

#11 Aug 28, 2012
I always get a laugh out of people that think just because liquor by the drink passes, the unemployment rate is going to magically drop to 5%.
my opinion

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Aug 28, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
I always get a laugh out of people that think just because liquor by the drink passes, the unemployment rate is going to magically drop to 5%.
liquor by the drink is one step closer. Liquor by the drink will invite more restaurants to open in our dead town which will create jobs.
wondering

Oneida, TN

#13 Aug 28, 2012
Why?? are we going to magically get all these jobs, restaurants, and so forth by voting in liquor by the drink?California,Nevada and the "SIN Cities" have all that and prostitution,gambling-- and are going bankrupt!! Big restaurants are not going to to come here. We have a burger king,krystle, and many factories closed up already.
wondering

Shelby, NC

#14 Aug 28, 2012
We won't get liquor by the drink in scott county, because of the "religious" people. It amazes me how many of you there are that I at one time saw coming out of houses I used to go to, only to hear you spout off Bible verses that Sunday. This county could use new restaurants. New restaurants means more jobs which means jobs which in turn means lower unemployment.
Nucking Futs

Oneida, TN

#15 Aug 28, 2012
wondering wrote:
Why?? are we going to magically get all these jobs, restaurants, and so forth by voting in liquor by the drink?California,Nevada and the "SIN Cities" have all that and prostitution,gambling-- and are going bankrupt!! Big restaurants are not going to to come here. We have a burger king,krystle, and many factories closed up already.
The county would come closer to getting liquor by the drink by combining a liquor/prostitution ticket because their is a lot of preachers around here that won't drink liquor but seem to have a hard time turning down strange poonpoon!
my opinion

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Aug 28, 2012
Money its all about the money. And building this town out if it crunch, but dont worry about it keep waiting on jesus and we all can go to hell right. Would you rather have your kids drink or do meth? Dont answer i already know the answer meth is taking over. Liquor is already in our town its sold by the drink at the v.f.v. and the golf course. And probably in one out of five homes but that's ok let other counties collect our tax money from it and build.
my opinion

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 28, 2012
wondering wrote:
We won't get liquor by the drink in scott county, because of the "religious" people. It amazes me how many of you there are that I at one time saw coming out of houses I used to go to, only to hear you spout off Bible verses that Sunday. This county could use new restaurants. New restaurants means more jobs which means jobs which in turn means lower unemployment.
i dont go to church last time i did go was over 20 yrs or more and i do drink maybe twice a year and spend my money to buy it at the interstate
wondering

Oneida, TN

#18 Aug 28, 2012
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>i dont go to church last time i did go was over 20 yrs or more and i do drink maybe twice a year and spend my money to buy it at the interstate
Ha lol don't sound like that would be enough revenue spent at the interstate to save scott county.
Nan

Oneida, TN

#19 Aug 28, 2012
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Ha lol don't sound like that would be enough revenue spent at the interstate to save scott county.
I agree, we just won't worry about that guy.
OICTO-Tighe

Oakdale, TN

#20 Aug 28, 2012
VOTER - I'm all for people expressing their opinion by voting - YEA or NAY. I'm even FOR people not voting if done so in opposition tovoting. MY only upset is thos who Do Not bote because they are too lazy to CARE; and those who BULLY others with "SUNDAY" laws that dis-regard
the minority who believe the sabbath is not Sunday nor a day of sacredness!
I DO KNOW that local bootleggers and many preachers Work hard to maintain the status quo of untaxed illicit hard spirits!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 Kids Pizza Permanently Closed? 20 min Concerned 1
Oneida Dollar General 40 min Karma 3
Bisexual women or Lesbians 3 hr Tim 9
Fireman's fourth 6 hr Hot to trot 9
Pioneer Hospital (Sep '15) 8 hr Citizen 100
Looking for land 17 hr Mope 3
Last Days 20 hr Psalms 36 1-6 141
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oneida Mortgages