Scott County Sheriffs
Red

Oneida, TN

#131 Jan 5, 2012
rastus wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you are jealous. But I just cannot figure out who you are jealous of. I bet you are one of the past "loser" sheriff candidates. Our sheriff is making more drug bust than big city sheriffs. Jealousy is a green eyed monster. Be proud of your sheriff and his deputies.
They need to stop praying for meth they make us look stupid
OCTO-Tighe

Oneida, TN

#132 Jan 5, 2012
HISTORY: Scott County Sheriff's Department + Memoializes
Sergeant Hubert Dean Yancey
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Friday, November 28, 2003 Cause: Gunfire
Deputy Sheriff Earl C. Koger
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Saturday, January 18, 1964 Cause: Gunfire
Deputy Sheriff Levi Harness
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Sunday, February 11, 1962 Cause: Gunfire
Deputy Sheriff John Wesley West
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Monday, March 7, 1927 Cause: Gunfire
*see Above post*
Sheriff Richard Ellis
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Thursday, August 13, 1925 Cause: Gunfire
Deputy Sheriff John Acres
Scott County Sheriff's Department
EOW: Thursday, January 31, 1924 Cause: Gunfire
Town Marshal Andrew J. Adams
Helenwood Police Department
EOW: Saturday, November 1, 1890 Cause: Gunfire
Deputy Marshal John Riley Newport
Helenwood Police Department
EOW: Saturday, November 1, 1890 Cause: Gunfire
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#133 Jan 5, 2012
older wrote:
Here is what SCN had to say about this:
MILFORD PENNYCUFF KILLED HERE MONDAY—Funeral Services at Oak Grove Wednesday Afternoon—Milford Pennycuff, aged 15, was killed here Monday afternoon near the Burchfield school in West Oneida. Pennycuff was shot through the neck with a rifle. He was found about an hour later where he had fallen into the ditch on the roadside. Howard Burchfield, son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Burchfield, according to information furnished the News surrendered to officers and is being held charged with the shooting. Reports are that they had been previous trouble. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at the Oak Grove Baptist church with Revs. Roy Blevins and Leland Thomas officiating. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Pennycuff of Oneida; two brothers, Bates Pennycuff of New River and Grover Pennycuff of Muncie, Indiana; also a number of relatives and friends. Interment was in the Marcum cemetery with Cooper’s in charge.(Scott County News, 24 Sep 1948, p1)
That is vaguly the way I remember that incident<I was not very old when it happened but do remeber hearing talk about it then and later. One question if you wouldn`t mind sharing the info. Is this off a link, because I have tried to find a link to the Scott County News but can`t seem to find one. Thanks and that is informative info.
older

Oneida, TN

#134 Jan 5, 2012
This was taken from microfilm. There is not a link to Scott County News as I know of.
Roudy wrote:
<quoted text>That is vaguly the way I remember that incident<I was not very old when it happened but do remeber hearing talk about it then and later. One question if you wouldn`t mind sharing the info. Is this off a link, because I have tried to find a link to the Scott County News but can`t seem to find one. Thanks and that is informative info.
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#135 Jan 5, 2012
older wrote:
This was taken from microfilm. There is not a link to Scott County News as I know of.
<quoted text>
Thank yoju. I never could find one.
Ezra Lowboy

Phoenix, AZ

#136 Jan 6, 2012
I would like to know more about that shootout between Sheriff Butler and the Sexton Boys at the state line.Did they got to prison over it?

Frank Butler was said to be a good sheriff but I also hear d he took payoffs from the moonshiners.Maybe this is why this happened they refused to pay him and he went after them and they fought back.
Delmer

UK

#137 Jan 7, 2012
Red wrote:
<quoted text>They need to stop praying for meth they make us look stupid
Our sheriff started this and now we got others follering us. Soon we will have the whole county behind us.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx...

Prayer is ggod for the country
rastus

Columbia, SC

#138 Jan 7, 2012
I sure hope the whole country follows us. Prayer through God can solve anything. Thanks to Sheriff Mike Cross and his staff for standing up for prayer. He has my vote and my entire family's votes. We had more meth bust than all the other counties combined in the "CAUGHT UP in the Knoxville and the plateau" magazine. Has to make the citizens feel safer knowing we have a sheriff's dept. of this caliber.
older

Oneida, TN

#139 Jan 7, 2012
When I found this article I read it to my Dad and he remembered the incident and the comments in brackets [] are notes from him, otherwise typed just as it appeared in the paper.

Jeffers, Leon - Find Body of Slain Deputy Sheriff -(International News Service)- Huntsville, Tenn., June 20.- The body of Deputy Sheriff Leon Jeffers was found today near Huntsville by a 75-man posse with bloodhounds showing the trail.[Leon Jeffers was shot in rear but did not die as the result of this shooting. He was found hiding in the woods the next day. The law had been harassing them and had knocked down the door at the roadhouse several times when no one was there and the owners got tired of it and the next time they just starting shooting per my Dad] Police still sought one man in the Scott county roadhouse shooting of Sheriff Frank Butler, Jeffers, and Deputy William Duncan. Angry mobs of Scott county citizens formed outside the county jail after the arrest of Roadhouse Operator Howard Sexton, Marshall King and George Roarke [did no shooting but would not tell on the others so he went to prison also]. The three, along with Harry Sexton, who is still sought, allegedly opened fire on the sheriff and his men. The police were making a routine check of the Kentucky-Tennessee borderline roadhouse. Tennessee and Kentucky state highway police carried the three to the Wortsburg [Wartburg} jail in an adjoining county. They said they did this to prevent mob violence.(The Times-Picayune, New Orleans, Monday, 30 Jun 1947, 111th Year - No. 157 p14)
Ezra Lowboy wrote:
I would like to know more about that shootout between Sheriff Butler and the Sexton Boys at the state line.Did they got to prison over it?
Frank Butler was said to be a good sheriff but I also hear d he took payoffs from the moonshiners.Maybe this is why this happened they refused to pay him and he went after them and they fought back.
older

Oneida, TN

#140 Jan 7, 2012
Trial of 4 Charged In Shooing Re-Set – (International News Service) – Huntsville, Tenn., Nov. 11. – Trial of four men charged with the ambush shooting of Scott County Sheriff Frank Butler has been reset for March term of circuit court at Huntsville. The defendants allegedly ambushed Sheriff Butler and Deputies Leon Jeffers and Willie Duncan as the officer were leaving a beer tavern near the Kentucky-Tennessee line. The four are George Roark, Howard Sexton, Harry Sexton and Marshall King. The first trial ended in a mistrial. (The Times-Picayune, New Orleans, LA, Wed, 12 Nov 1947, 111th year – No. 290, p13)
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#141 Jan 7, 2012
older wrote:
Trial of 4 Charged In Shooing Re-Set –(International News Service)– Huntsville, Tenn., Nov. 11.– Trial of four men charged with the ambush shooting of Scott County Sheriff Frank Butler has been reset for March term of circuit court at Huntsville. The defendants allegedly ambushed Sheriff Butler and Deputies Leon Jeffers and Willie Duncan as the officer were leaving a beer tavern near the Kentucky-Tennessee line. The four are George Roark, Howard Sexton, Harry Sexton and Marshall King. The first trial ended in a mistrial.(The Times-Picayune, New Orleans, LA, Wed, 12 Nov 1947, 111th year – No. 290, p13)
Thanks that is an interesting story.I was too young when this happened to remember much of it, but later on I heard a lot of stories about it. If I remeber correct and I amy be wrong, they did not spend a lot of time in prison.
older

Oneida, TN

#142 Jan 7, 2012
My Dad thinks it was less than 3 years. Shouldn't have spent any from what he has said. Did you notice there was a mistrial the first time, haven't found anything else.
Roudy wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks that is an interesting story.I was too young when this happened to remember much of it, but later on I heard a lot of stories about it. If I remeber correct and I amy be wrong, they did not spend a lot of time in prison.
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#143 Jan 7, 2012
older wrote:
My Dad thinks it was less than 3 years. Shouldn't have spent any from what he has said. Did you notice there was a mistrial the first time, haven't found anything else.
<quoted text>
I saw that and I remember there was a lot of talk about it . What I understand there was somethings going on that was more than met the eye. I was pretty small then so don`t know what is true or not true ,but I heard stories that there was a disagreement over a payoff to the sheriff`s dept. Lot went on at the state line in those days. One thing was gambling. So it come to a head.
Long time gone

Conyers, GA

#144 Jan 7, 2012
My dad told me that all the men in the mob that killed Jerome Boyatt and the other prisoner died with their shoes on except two and they laid on their death bed for some time before dying.
Died with their shoes on back then meant they were killed.
Lots of unsloved murders in Scott County even since I've been alive. Just for fun what about the Guy that was killed along side the southern railroad just south of the underpass? Maybe best to leave that one alone as the people involved are still alive and living in Scott County.
older

Oneida, TN

#145 Jan 7, 2012
Abandon Quest Of 2 Men Who Shot Officers – Oneida, Tenn. – AP – A sheriff’s posse abandoned Monday a search for two men sought since last Saturday in connection with the wounding of Scott County sheriff Frank Butler and two of his deputies at a road house near the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The sheriff’s office at Huntsville reported that bloodhounds from Brushy Mountain prison at Petros lost the trail of the men and the search was halted. Meanwhile, three men held in the Morgan County jail at Wartburg are scheduled for an examining trial Saturday afternoon before Magistrate C. E. Caldwell here on charges on felonious assault with intent to commit murder growing out of the shooting of the three officers. The men, taken to Wartburg Saturday night for safekeeping, were identified by Oneida police chief, Dorsey Rosser as George Roark, Marshall King and Howard Sexton. Sheriff Butler, with pistol and shotgun wounds in the chest, abdomen, left arm and foot remained in serious condition at a Knoxville Hospital where he was taken shortly after the shooting. The sheriff reported he and deputies Leon Jeffers and Willie Duncan were fired on after they had made a routine investigation of the roadhouse. Jeffers, shot in the hop [hip], was said to be improved at a clinic here, and Duncan shot in the right shoulder, had recovered sufficiently to be removed to his home at Huntsville. (Kingsport News, Kingsport, TN, Tuesday, 1 Jul 1947, p3)
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#146 Jan 7, 2012
Long time gone wrote:
My dad told me that all the men in the mob that killed Jerome Boyatt and the other prisoner died with their shoes on except two and they laid on their death bed for some time before dying.
Died with their shoes on back then meant they were killed.
Lots of unsloved murders in Scott County even since I've been alive. Just for fun what about the Guy that was killed along side the southern railroad just south of the underpass? Maybe best to leave that one alone as the people involved are still alive and living in Scott County.
Never heard about that one ,must have been after I left. Who was the sheriff at the time?
older

Oneida, TN

#147 Jan 7, 2012
Esau Laxton
Roudy wrote:
<quoted text>Never heard about that one ,must have been after I left. Who was the sheriff at the time?
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#148 Jan 7, 2012
older wrote:
Esau Laxton
<quoted text>
I am sorry I was not clear on my post. I was talking about the guy " Long time Gone" mentined on his post. I knew a laxton was the sheriff on Boyatt. He was someplace else when it happened I was told.
OCTO-Tighe

Sunbright, TN

#149 Jan 7, 2012
"Duncan shot in the right shoulder, had recovered sufficiently to be removed to his home at Huntsville.(Kingsport News, Kingsport, TN, Tuesday, 1 Jul 1947, p3)"
I drove Willie Duncan and his then wife for treatment at the V A Hospital in Johnson City (later Willy and that wife divorced and he married Frank's daughter Frankie June Butler) Willy was a wiry small man who was noted for his ability in using a "Slap jack" -- who could and did 'down' many a larger man who (with the aid of the now illegal Slap Jack)'resisted' arrest!
Conversation on the then all day trips to Johnson City; was mainly about the fact that Willie had no medical insurance and no provision for Scott County to assist with the medical costs! Willie was glad that he was a Veteran!
Frank Butler's loss of his big toe plagued him until he died of a massive heart attack (Many years later)!
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#150 Jan 7, 2012
OCTO-Tighe wrote:
"Duncan shot in the right shoulder, had recovered sufficiently to be removed to his home at Huntsville.(Kingsport News, Kingsport, TN, Tuesday, 1 Jul 1947, p3)"
I drove Willie Duncan and his then wife for treatment at the V A Hospital in Johnson City (later Willy and that wife divorced and he married Frank's daughter Frankie June Butler) Willy was a wiry small man who was noted for his ability in using a "Slap jack" -- who could and did 'down' many a larger man who (with the aid of the now illegal Slap Jack)'resisted' arrest!
Conversation on the then all day trips to Johnson City; was mainly about the fact that Willie had no medical insurance and no provision for Scott County to assist with the medical costs! Willie was glad that he was a Veteran!
Frank Butler's loss of his big toe plagued him until he died of a massive heart attack (Many years later)!
Do you know by chance how old Frank Butler was when he died?It is kind of amazing, here you have a deputy sheriff who is shot in the line of duty and the county does not have any kind of medical program to to help him get medical care. Today they would be suing the county.Times have changed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taco Bell 4 hr Carie 3
Last Days (Jan '16) 5 hr Wound Heal 324
2 babies found in car! (May '11) 6 hr Guess Who 46
septic tank 12 hr bigboy 15
houses being broke into 12 hr really 4
Jamie and Amanda Henry snitching 18 hr Just sayin 9
House on Smoky burnt 19 hr Tina Weymouth 16

Oneida Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oneida Mortgages