Comments
1 - 20 of 100 Comments Last updated Jul 28, 2010
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#1 Jul 14, 2010
As time is winding down for the upcoming election, the voters of Scott County need to take a close look at the candidates in all of the upcoming contests. We, as humans, can find character faults in anyone in life, whether it is personality, looks, vocabulary, friends, financial status etc. Have we taken the time to look for the sufficient reasons to select the person for the right choice? Are we taking the time to look at education, experience, character, and qualification points of interest? We can watch a local television program that allows anyone to telephone and make all kinds of accusations for the people to hear. We can read an internet site which allows people to post anything they want to vent of any subject for people to see. We can read brief campaign promises in the newspapers.
If people were serious and concerned for Scott County, why can there not be a debate of all candidates involved in any political contest to name their education, experience, character and qualification points of interest and answer legitimate questions proposed to them? Why do we not call for a debate of this nature? Why can we not have someone qualified to moderate this debate? I personally feel that we the people have the right to make this request. We have debate teams in high school. Why can’t we reinforce their learning to county government? Why can’t we educate ourselves in this approach also? I would think that any candidate, who is taking the position seriously, would want this debate so people can see where they stand and who they are. I think that it would also be an eye-opener for the voters to see. Give the candidates a chance to accept or decline the offer.
People are leaving the large cities for mainly the crime rate to more rural areas. Are we wanting to be on the statistics for high crime? We need to vote for educated people. Let’s remove the “good ole boy” politics. A candidate who can not explain their political platform needs to be looked at very closely. If all this person can do is make negative statement of others, I would think that the qualifications are not present. God fearing people needs to be elected for local, state and federal government positions. This is our only hope for this country.
I have been a voter in Scott County for 50 plus years. It has always been a mud slinging contest as my dad use to call it. Let’s look at what we have presented to us at the present from data we have obtained, beginning with the local television program and the internet site that people uses in the county.
(in alphabetical order)

JIM CARSON - This ex-sheriff received his job after the Captial Hill shootout incident during the Jack Laxton days. Carson lost the re-election after the killing of his deputy, John Yancey, by another deputy (his son), Marty Carson, who was later transferred to Chief of Deputies by Jim Carson (the father). An all points bulletin was placed on an innocent person of the killing incident.

Is this what we want in office to protect and serve us?

MIKE CROSS - Cross states that he is a Proven Leader. It is a proven fact that during his reign, there are three deaths with his connection while on duty. 1. The death of Max Carpenter, a mentally impaired person, from the Capital Hill shoot-out incident.
2. Christ Sexton hung himself in a cell of a 72 hour holding facility of his reign as Chief of Police in Oneida. 3. Nancy Banxton was killed by her husband, after the children called 911 over the husband beating their mother. The police arrived. Cross allowed the husband to return inside. At this time the husband shot the wife, left the scene in his car with a gun in his hand. 3. He has a theft record.

Is this a “proven leader” we want to protect and serve us?
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#2 Jul 14, 2010
BOBBY ELLIS - This is a person who gained a large percentage of his law enforcement skills as Chief of Deputy and is now serving as acting Sheriff to complete the term of Anthony Lay. He was sent to every law enforcement class presented to him. He attended every Sheriff Conference along with Anthony Lay as Chief Deputy. He has the knowledge and work experience about crime to move the profession forward through this training alone, not to mention the computer skills that he has obtained needed to run the Justice Center. With his work ethics and knowledge, he can attribute to the forward movement to assist our senior citizens, children and working people of this county not the backward movement for the thieves to support their drug habits in selling drugs to our children. These drug peddlers gain their money at our expense in different forms.

Is this a person we want to protect and serve us?

DOC HALL - Mr. Hall is a local musician from the past who is very talented in musical instruments. He worked for a short term at the jail. His time was spent being buddies with the prisoners in the jail instead of doing his designated job performance.

BRIAN KEETON - He was a good cop at Scott High while performing his duty in front of the teenagers. After leaving Scott High, he was never happy with his job. He refused to do 14 night shift duties for his fellow deputies who had filled in for him while he was on maternity leave. He has taken bankruptcy. If he can’t run his personal finances, can he run a county office while assisting with the budgeting? He is a known “whinner”. Will he whine or will he be an adult?

BRAD LAY - His political signs state “who cares about the people of Scott County”. He was a deputy when Jim Carson was sheriff. Brad Lay did not recognize his own child until he began his campaign for the sheriff’s position. Now he transports her with him to campaign. Maybe he feels he is portraying a family man.
As a deputy he was involved with a fight at the Big South Fork Raceway. Two Scott County boys were arrested. One of them was an innocent bystander who rode his four-wheeler up to see what was going on. He had no part in the fight but was arrested anyway. No member from the opposite group from another county were arrested. It appears that Brad Lay was out of touch. It has been several years since he has been any part of the legal system. How can he be updated with the new system? He sued Scott County for a wreck that he was involved in while he was a deputy.

Is this the person we want to protect and serve us?

This is how I perceive the candidates at this point. If we have a debate, then any accuracies and/or misquotes can be named and/or corrected. I say,“Just a voter here! Candidates, now do your thing!”
A Voter

Oliver Springs, TN

#3 Jul 14, 2010
Very well said and very accurate. Except for one thing as remembered. RE: Mike Cross- is there not another offical running for commissioner (Alan Reed) that was on the scene when all that came about with the shooting of Ms. Bankston? Yes.

Agree, with what you have said because it is truly fact. The people of this county need to be honest with themselves and vote for a candidate that will uphold the law, enforce the law equally, not go backward. Our future depends upon it.
BullCrap

Wartburg, TN

#4 Jul 14, 2010
It seems that THE FUTURE is a die hard Bobby supporter and thats his choice.Im curious about your statments against Mike..1)He was on duty when the Carpenter shooting happened as were several others.He didn't fire the "kill shot" so whats your point.Atleast he was THERE during this crisis.2)Many other inmates across the state have hung themselves while being housed in a facility.Wake up and read.3)Cross wasn't there when the Bankston shooting happened.He intercepted and gave pursuit of Kim Bankston on Hwy 27 and pursued him until he wrecked.He never was on the scene until after the arrest.4)Does Mike have a theft record??? Prove it!!The old saying goes shut up or put up.Im waiting.

Bobby- hasn't he filed bankrupt? He has and its record and on file at the bank where they repossessed his home.As far as his work ethic, didn't he leave Winfield PD hanging because he thot he could make more money during the Katrina clean-up.Steve Trammel gave him time off to work and instead of Bobby returning, he didn't and didn't even call Steve and tell him. Yea thats a good work ethic.Ask his MANY EX_WIFES what kinda work ethic he has.
for the record

Wartburg, TN

#5 Jul 14, 2010
Didnt Bobby,while under the administration of Jack Laxton take a county owned patrol car to a party in Kentucky where he met a woman and fathered a child that he still to this day does not pay child support on?
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#6 Jul 14, 2010
A Voter wrote:
Very well said and very accurate. Except for one thing as remembered. RE: Mike Cross- is there not another offical running for commissioner (Alan Reed) that was on the scene when all that came about with the shooting of Ms. Bankston? Yes.
Agree, with what you have said because it is truly fact. The people of this county need to be honest with themselves and vote for a candidate that will uphold the law, enforce the law equally, not go backward. Our future depends upon it.
You are correct. I read a copy of the paperwork that was filed on this incident before I made the posting. I did not name the Reed man just for the reason that I was doing a posting on the sheriff's race. Thank you for the input. People need to be informed up front so there will be no surprises.
Lawyer

Wartburg, TN

#7 Jul 14, 2010
I think that the Oneida Police Department won the lawsuit that the Bankston's filed against them, si I find it hard to believe that Mike done any wrongdoing. As for the theft record, I think you have him misstaken for the Mike Cross that works at the jail now.And another point, isn't Mike Cross, who works at the jail involved with a minor right now and has been seen with her in Bobby Ellis's presence? Maybe Bobby has some benefits there too!!!!
We Know

Wartburg, TN

#8 Jul 14, 2010
THE FUTURE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. I read a copy of the paperwork that was filed on this incident before I made the posting. I did not name the Reed man just for the reason that I was doing a posting on the sheriff's race. Thank you for the input. People need to be informed up front so there will be no surprises.
Yes Connie, we all know that you went and got a copy of the warrant :)Hows things going with you and Bobby?
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#9 Jul 14, 2010
BullCrap wrote:
It seems that THE FUTURE is a die hard Bobby supporter and thats his choice.Im curious about your statments against Mike..1)He was on duty when the Carpenter shooting happened as were several others.He didn't fire the "kill shot" so whats your point.Atleast he was THERE during this crisis.2)Many other inmates across the state have hung themselves while being housed in a facility.Wake up and read.3)Cross wasn't there when the Bankston shooting happened.He intercepted and gave pursuit of Kim Bankston on Hwy 27 and pursued him until he wrecked.He never was on the scene until after the arrest.4)Does Mike have a theft record??? Prove it!!The old saying goes shut up or put up.Im waiting.
Bobby- hasn't he filed bankrupt? He has and its record and on file at the bank where they repossessed his home.As far as his work ethic, didn't he leave Winfield PD hanging because he thot he could make more money during the Katrina clean-up.Steve Trammel gave him time off to work and instead of Bobby returning, he didn't and didn't even call Steve and tell him. Yea thats a good work ethic.Ask his MANY EX_WIFES what kinda work ethic he has.
Mr. Bull Crap, I just made a posting for the qualities of knowledge that I have accrued as stated in the posting that I made that has you so alarmed. It is not a matter of who I support but what I would desire to know as other voters of this county. Join in and ask for a debate of the candidates to correct or rebuttal anything that is stated. You need to reread the posting about your friend. I just stated that he was at the Carpenter shooting incident. I wonder if other inmates across the state were in a small facility like the Oneida jail. I understand the record goes that he was involved in a car theft. You might want to read the incident report of the Banxton death. I do not have any knowledge of the items you quoted about Mr. Ellis. But, if we can get a debate, then you can direct your accusations toward him personally. Thank you for your input.
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#10 Jul 14, 2010
for the record wrote:
Didnt Bobby,while under the administration of Jack Laxton take a county owned patrol car to a party in Kentucky where he met a woman and fathered a child that he still to this day does not pay child support on?
I don't know. But, if we get a debate, then you can personally ask legitimate questions. Thanks for the input.
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#11 Jul 14, 2010
Lawyer wrote:
I think that the Oneida Police Department won the lawsuit that the Bankston's filed against them, si I find it hard to believe that Mike done any wrongdoing. As for the theft record, I think you have him misstaken for the Mike Cross that works at the jail now.And another point, isn't Mike Cross, who works at the jail involved with a minor right now and has been seen with her in Bobby Ellis's presence? Maybe Bobby has some benefits there too!!!!
I do not know the answer to your questions. I only posted the knowledge I have gained from this internet site, the local t.v. show, newspaper ads. etc. If we can get a debate for the candidates, then you can directly ask these questions. Thanks for your input.
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#12 Jul 14, 2010
We Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Connie, we all know that you went and got a copy of the warrant :)Hows things going with you and Bobby?
I am THE FUTURE not Connie. I do not have a clue who Connie is. I am concerned for the future of our county and its citizens. Let's get a debate started for legitimate questions to the candidates. Then if you have a practical question to ask, I am sure that the candidates will respond. Thank you for your input.
How Do You Know

Oneida, TN

#13 Jul 14, 2010
"DOC HALL - Mr. Hall is a local musician from the past who is very talented in musical instruments. He worked for a short term at the jail. His time was spent being buddies with the prisoners in the jail instead of doing his designated job performance."

How do you know that he did not do the job he was there to do? I really do not believe this statement at all. He is a dedicated hard worker, and if he is trying to help someone better their life and get straightened up then KUDOS for him for taking that extra step. At least he cares enough to TRY to help others!
edd

Huntsville, TN

#14 Jul 14, 2010
They all suck hell i'm not even going to vote its a damn joke i mean seriously i fill fully protected lol why don't we vote for carla carson smit buttram she such a bitch and she can run a building full of senior citizens yeah right I think we all should vote for RL Gibson he has the answer to everything little fat bastard
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#15 Jul 14, 2010
How Do You Know wrote:
"DOC HALL - Mr. Hall is a local musician from the past who is very talented in musical instruments. He worked for a short term at the jail. His time was spent being buddies with the prisoners in the jail instead of doing his designated job performance."
How do you know that he did not do the job he was there to do? I really do not believe this statement at all. He is a dedicated hard worker, and if he is trying to help someone better their life and get straightened up then KUDOS for him for taking that extra step. At least he cares enough to TRY to help others!
How do you know that he did? I have no problems with Mr. Hall. I am just posting what I have learned. I know so little of Mr. Hall's experience in law enforcement. Can you enlighten us? Look at the sources of our knowledge. It is so limited. As I have posted, We need a local debate to get items like this "ironed out". I am proud for anyone who helps others better their life. We need more people in this world who care enough to help others. KUDOS for them. Thank you for your input.
edd

Huntsville, TN

#16 Jul 14, 2010
No seriously this time We need to get rid of Jamie Cotton he does suck these sheriffs will try and get these duggies off the street and Jamie Cotton gives them a slap on the wrist and there back out doing it again then there arrested again then court see the cycle Depending on who you are and who your family is . is what you get from jamie cotton lets have some other judge run who is honest then the sheriff department can do there job.
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#17 Jul 14, 2010
edd wrote:
They all suck hell i'm not even going to vote its a damn joke i mean seriously i fill fully protected lol why don't we vote for carla carson smit buttram she such a bitch and she can run a building full of senior citizens yeah right I think we all should vote for RL Gibson he has the answer to everything little fat bastard
Mr. Edd, it is your priviledge to not vote but, this is what is happening to our country. People give up and think what good will it do? If everyone thought this way, our country would really be in a worse mess than what it already is. I deeply encourage you and others to vote for all the right reasons. As far as your other comments, I really feel that they have nothing to do with a candidate debate, now do they? Maybe if we talk to Mr. R.L. Gibson is a respectful tone, he might host the debate on his program while getting a qualified person to hold the debate. thank you for your somewhat input.
THE FUTURE

Redmond, WA

#18 Jul 14, 2010
edd wrote:
No seriously this time We need to get rid of Jamie Cotton he does suck these sheriffs will try and get these duggies off the street and Jamie Cotton gives them a slap on the wrist and there back out doing it again then there arrested again then court see the cycle Depending on who you are and who your family is . is what you get from jamie cotton lets have some other judge run who is honest then the sheriff department can do there job.
Mr. Edd, I have seen growing concerns over the cycle of drug offenders, but I do not have the answer for you on your comments. I am just trying to get a debate started for the sheriff candidates. I feel that there definitely is a growing concern for input on this race. This is one of the reasons that we all need to vote for the right reasons. But, we need to be made aware of these reasons. Maybe, if you feel so strong about your issue, you can get a thread started for your concern as you stated. Thanks for your input.
Fred in Huntsville

Redmond, WA

#19 Jul 14, 2010
Everybody needs to read this

http://scottcountyliberals.com/blog/...
How Do You Know

Oneida, TN

#20 Jul 14, 2010
THE FUTURE wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that he did? I have no problems with Mr. Hall. I am just posting what I have learned. I know so little of Mr. Hall's experience in law enforcement. Can you enlighten us? Look at the sources of our knowledge. It is so limited. As I have posted, We need a local debate to get items like this "ironed out". I am proud for anyone who helps others better their life. We need more people in this world who care enough to help others. KUDOS for them. Thank you for your input.
Well, I don't work there, but from the people who have called in everytime he has been on tv they have all said he done his job well, and treated them fairly and with respect. I have yet to hear anyone say that he didn't do the job he was hired for. I will personally ask Mr. Hall about his experience in law enforcement. I know he has stated that he has been around it most of his adult life. When he was on RL's show he even made the statement that he volunteered his time to go on the road with officers. That tells me that he is very interested, and eager to learn all that he can. He didn't get paid to do this, and I commend his efforts. Most people will not do anything if they aren't being paid.

I was just curious as to why and where you "learned" that he didn't do his job. That is a big assumption. I just wonder where you got these facts at.

As far as a debate, I agree with you. We do need to have one. Then, we as voters, can ask our questions and have them answered. Instead of bashing all the candidates we need to look at the facts, and what better place to get the facts than from the candidates themselves? There are alot of citizens in this county who are undecided on which person they are voting for, and I believe a debate would help those that do not know some of the candidates an opportunity to get to know them. I believe then they would have a better chance to figure out who the best candidate represents what they feel and believe in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 31 min turdddd 9,319
The chief of Scott co 2 hr in the know 6
Eagle Memory Today 2 hr andrea 5
Highland Telephone 3 hr HTC User 1
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 6 hr The InfoWar 8,616
Elle Chapman & Seth Carson 7 hr Someone who knows 5
Samantha young 10 hr Wondering 1
Do Not Elect Lori Phillips Jones 11 hr popeye 83
Make Scott County Govt Accountable 20 hr resident 44
•••
•••
Oneida Dating

more search filters