Scott Co. commissioners delay hospital vote

Jul 16, 2012 Full story: WBIR-TV Knoxville 49

County commissioners will meet at 5 p.m. in the Scott County Office building. Many commissioners wanted to delay the vote to learn more about one group that presented its proposal to the county only one week ago.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
get real

United States

#1 Jul 17, 2012
Willie Boyatt, county commissioner, is employed by one of the listed investors. This is conflict and should be addressed.
concerned citizen

Oneida, TN

#2 Jul 17, 2012
I agree with get real, the people of Scott County needs to know this, so tell everyone you know. He should nbot be allowed to vote on this .
doubtful

Wartburg, TN

#4 Jul 17, 2012
According to WBIR: 4 of the 6 local businesses listed as investors are Brewster Builders, J & M Construction, Lumber King, and Potters. Doesn't say who the other two are.
info

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2012
doubtful wrote:
According to WBIR: 4 of the 6 local businesses listed as investors are Brewster Builders, J & M Construction, Lumber King, and Potters. Doesn't say who the other two are.
Its 6 businessmen not companies.
KGC

Black Mountain, NC

#7 Jul 17, 2012
The commissioners are postponing a "decision" because they're trying to figure out how they and their friends can pocket the most money.

For example the "investors" will all get richer from building the new hospital.

It's all about the few rich folks in the county getting richer. It's not about helping the common folk of Scott County TN.

I say that the hospital should be sold to AMERIS Health Systems. If they own the hospital, they will have an investment in the county, and will provide the best medical care possible.
Community supporter

Wartburg, TN

#8 Jul 17, 2012
KGC wrote:
The commissioners are postponing a "decision" because they're trying to figure out how they and their friends can pocket the most money.
For example the "investors" will all get richer from building the new hospital.
It's all about the few rich folks in the county getting richer. It's not about helping the common folk of Scott County TN.
I say that the hospital should be sold to AMERIS Health Systems. If they own the hospital, they will have an investment in the county, and will provide the best medical care possible.
Do I since jeleousy! All those investors have made money by working hard. You might try it sometime, and you might become N investor.
Opinion

Wartburg, TN

#9 Jul 17, 2012
This the problem with this county. Incompent people making the decision that will affect our children. Most of the commissioners do not have any education and have no business sense. If the county had morals in office you would not have to wore about local potics. I believe one should answer questions honestly and fluff the bull for no one. Ethics and morals would resolve a lot of this problems. I cannot support an outside firm when we have locals involved. It is not the best interest at the community at large. A commissioners job is to support community as a whole. If I was the investors I would build a new facility right beside the old one if some is chose from outside the community. Well no I rethink that. I would take my money to another community in need and help them and leave Scott county to drowned
my opinion..

Greenbrier, TN

#10 Jul 17, 2012
The county should go ahead and sell the hospital! They do not need to lease it again! Most of the people in office are way to incompetent to know what they are doing when it comes to decisions like this! Granted when the hospital was originally leased to St. Mary's, the people who are in office now were not there.. I do agree however, that most of the county officials do just want to line their pockets! The county does not need to own the hospital!
JDB

Huntsville, TN

#12 Jul 17, 2012
Community supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I since jeleousy! All those investors have made money by working hard. You might try it sometime, and you might become N investor.
What, that is way funny!
doubtful

Huntsville, TN

#13 Jul 17, 2012
info wrote:
<quoted text>
Its 6 businessmen not companies.
Tell it to WBIR-TV Knoxville. They are the ones that named the investors. You can find it at the top of the page.
Boom Book

Huntsville, TN

#16 Jul 17, 2012
Opinion wrote:
This the problem with this county. Incompent people making the decision that will affect our children. Most of the commissioners do not have any education and have no business sense. If the county had morals in office you would not have to wore about local potics. I believe one should answer questions honestly and fluff the bull for no one. Ethics and morals would resolve a lot of this problems. I cannot support an outside firm when we have locals involved. It is not the best interest at the community at large. A commissioners job is to support community as a whole. If I was the investors I would build a new facility right beside the old one if some is chose from outside the community. Well no I rethink that. I would take my money to another community in need and help them and leave Scott county to drowned
Heh they dont even know how to conduct a commission meeting, the biggest debate was on whether or not they were voting to table the agenda item or if they were actually voting on giving the hospital.
If you dont know voting procedure how can u be considered competent to decide who should run the hospital? Biggest question is these guys have been around for a long time through a alot of possible hospital closures but never once had an interest in taking it over until... OBAMACARE!!!! Which i guarantee they would all decry while stuffing their pockets with the money it would produce.
Opinion

Wartburg, TN

#19 Jul 17, 2012
Totally agree. People do not appreciate anything and want to down people for success because it is not handed to them.
blue wolf

Pine Knot, KY

#20 Jul 17, 2012
The hospital will go to the local investors.It all goes to politics.Big money always rules.

Yeah,by the way,i don`t get a check every month.So sorry.
KGC

Cleveland, TN

#21 Jul 18, 2012
Community supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
No government check and no food stamps here - can you say the same? One thing is certain and that is that your opinion doesn't mean anything to me.

btw I own my own property (paid for) I also earn a good living without, government handouts, insider trading or under-the-table investments. Nor was it handed down to me when a rich family member passed away.
MoneyTrail

Oneida, TN

#23 Jul 18, 2012
What happens to the money made from the sale of the hospital? Does it go towards the county debt or just in someone's pocket?
Football Fan

Sunbright, TN

#25 Jul 18, 2012
State law says that money from selling municipally-owned hospital real estate cannot go towards debt or be used for anything other than something related to health care. It can't go into someone's pocket because all county governments are heavily audited by the state each year and every dollar must be accounted for or else someone faces criminal charges.

But if I understand it correctly there will be no money from the sale of the hospital, because it isn't being sold, it's basically being given to one of these other firms.
Boom Book

Huntsville, TN

#26 Jul 18, 2012
Football Fan wrote:
State law says that money from selling municipally-owned hospital real estate cannot go towards debt or be used for anything other than something related to health care. It can't go into someone's pocket because all county governments are heavily audited by the state each year and every dollar must be accounted for or else someone faces criminal charges.
But if I understand it correctly there will be no money from the sale of the hospital, because it isn't being sold, it's basically being given to one of these other firms.
hrm so the surplus from the county owned ambulance service can go towards the debt or the general fund but sale of assets cannot. Ok makes sense to me.
MoneyTrail

Sunbright, TN

#27 Jul 18, 2012
Football Fan wrote:
Well, if they are going to give it away, sign me up too. Sounds to me like there is some back scratching going on... The wealthy keeps getting wealthier while the poor gets poorer.
Yeah

Oneida, TN

#28 Jul 18, 2012
MoneyTrail wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if they are going to give it away, sign me up too. Sounds to me like there is some back scratching going on... The wealthy keeps getting wealthier while the poor gets poorer.
Because the wealthy get off there ass and look for ways to make money. Apparently your not much of a go getter or you would be up there bailing our hospital out like these hard working big hearted people are doing. What do you think that they are supposed to spend 3 or 4 million dollars of there own money and not get nothing back out of it, that's not good business in case you didnt know that.
Concerned

United States

#29 Jul 18, 2012
Once the hospital is "sold" to either of the out of town companies for $100 then our community hospital is out of our hands. As in it is theirs to do with however they please as in What departments are opened or not etc. If anywhere down the road they decided to close the hospital for whatever reason they can and do with the property as they wish. Demolish it for prime real estate... Anything. HOWEVER if it's leased by said local investors then our community will still own our hospital. We still would have a fighting interest in maintaining healthcare in our community. If its sold I strongly feel that will be it. I have a feeling it will come to bite us in the rear hard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
josh hatfield 3 hr wondering 1
gonna get her 4 hr Fah Q 12
does anyone know josh phillips (Oct '09) 4 hr TN_Angel 10
dakota davis 6 hr amber 1
kimberly daniels 6 hr love or hate me 1
who knows lisa phillips sexton an now married t... (Jan '10) 6 hr haha 10
Scott Co. Commission to Consider Tax; Industria... 8 hr Citizen 15
Oneida Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oneida People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oneida News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oneida

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick