Next Last
Radio Dude

Oakdale, TN

#1 Dec 17, 2009
Anybody got any comments on WBNT radio?
chris

Deer Lodge, TN

#2 Dec 17, 2009
its good station but y they bleep out some words to songs for the old man needs to retire and let paul take it over now
haha

Sunbright, TN

#3 Dec 17, 2009
The bleeping out of naughty words is probably why I feel comfortable listening to WBNT while my children are in the car :)
just my opinion

Helenwood, TN

#4 Dec 17, 2009
They play lame music.
lyn

Livingston, TN

#5 Dec 17, 2009
wbnt is one of the worst radio i ever heard someone need to buy it and run it like it 2010 not 1955 the news is joke the get it out of the paper or when someone bring it to them . the djs they have are a joke they could not a job in radio anywhere else that why hardly no one ever linsten to it when hillard kicks over someone should buy it and then it might be better but till then it sucks
Resident

Oneida, TN

#6 Dec 17, 2009
It's just good, down home radio. It's not updated and it is ran old fashioned, but it's Oneida radio. When I come home for the summers and the holidays, it's nice to hear the same style I grew up with. It's nostalgia for me.

“\m/”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#7 Dec 17, 2009
i wish we had a better radio station. maybe then i would listen. but i have no desire to listen to the music they play.
jermi

Lancing, TN

#8 Dec 17, 2009
I have a few suggestions. No to be mean , but I really don't like the commercials that feature Hillard Mattie's voice. It sounds ancient,perhaps because I've been hearing it since I was a kid. Paul Strunk has a unique voice and would be fresh ( I think we're all tired of Hillard)! I also think they should stick with one genre of music. Country seems to attract a broader audience than any other. Not my personal favorite, but...just saying. I think the only people who actually listen are swap shop listeners and old folks listening to the obituary. I guess Hillard's in charge so I don't imagine anything will change though.
old fashioned

Oakdale, TN

#9 Dec 17, 2009
Resident wrote:
It's just good, down home radio. It's not updated and it is ran old fashioned, but it's Oneida radio. When I come home for the summers and the holidays, it's nice to hear the same style I grew up with. It's nostalgia for me.
i agree with you,,,i still listen because it is old fashioned and i hope it stays that way. my husband loves the oldies day on thursdays and it makes his work day pass quickly. i have always loved the simple life. we live in the best part of the country in my opinion. things are not perfect in this little town but its always been home. go hillard

“This Space For Rent”

Since: Sep 09

Margaritaville

#10 Dec 18, 2009
wickedshoestring wrote:
i wish we had a better radio station. maybe then i would listen. but i have no desire to listen to the music they play.
In the nineties the format was 2 Adult Contemporary, commercial, 2 Country. Not sure if that's still held as "the golden rule" or not. Hillard's daughter was program director and would listen to each song sent by the service where they got their new CD music from. Anything with language would be instantly marked out and banned from play, as would songs not on the above formats.

That said, it's exactly what the above posters said, Hometown Radio. You have plenty of stations in Knoxville and Somerset for that matter that plays like a modern station if that's your thing.

Last I heard Paul Strunk is the general manager now with Hillard mainly cutting back to doing sales I believe but that could be incorrect. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Joy to the world

Wartburg, TN

#11 Dec 18, 2009
jermi wrote:
I have a few suggestions. No to be mean , but I really don't like the commercials that feature Hillard Mattie's voice. It sounds ancient,perhaps because I've been hearing it since I was a kid. Paul Strunk has a unique voice and would be fresh ( I think we're all tired of Hillard)! I also think they should stick with one genre of music. Country seems to attract a broader audience than any other. Not my personal favorite, but...just saying. I think the only people who actually listen are swap shop listeners and old folks listening to the obituary. I guess Hillard's in charge so I don't imagine anything will change though.
There are some very nice speakers right here in the county...some of them are students, some of them are working people, some are retired, etc....if the radio station would hire differnt people to record the commericals..it would be a win win situation...more people would listen (those wanting to hear a loved one or friend's voice and those that are just listening)...Just my thoughts on the subject.
Down Home

Helenwood, TN

#12 Dec 18, 2009
i love wbnt..its down home and simple for everyone to listen to...

The Elderly are probably the main listeners but they have been doin that for years and its nice to have something NOT CHANGE in this county for the worse.
Problem Is

Oakdale, TN

#13 Dec 30, 2009
Paul Strunk has a very fake voice on air. Why do that>? Why not just speak naturally instead of trying to beef up your voice? Also, it is probably the only station, other than AM, that actually goes off the air overnight.

“\m/”

Location hidden

#14 Dec 30, 2009
they make them speak that way.

“\m/”

Location hidden

#15 Dec 30, 2009
or that's what i was told.
WBNT SUCKS

Whitley City, KY

#16 Jan 7, 2010
I know for a fact they report false news, and get everything screwed up. I'm suprised they are still around.
Oneida Fan

United States

#17 Jan 7, 2010
wickedshoestring wrote:
they make them speak that way.
That's what I despise most bout WBNT is how they talk on there. It is sooooo annoying I can't bare to listen to it. I think it is one of the sorriest excuses of a radio station I've ever heard. If they want to keep their down home feel that's fine but they could take some lessons from WECO in Wartburg which is also small town radio but they put WBNT to shame. WBNT why don't u join the rest of us in the 21st century?
fan-

Sunbright, TN

#18 Mar 13, 2010
well i think it is just fine because when that tornado hit last may it saved my life because i didnt even know anythign was going on till he they started saying get in shelter now and everything
sillytwig

Wartburg, TN

#19 Mar 13, 2010
Their music sucks.
laika 666

Orlando, FL

#20 Sep 11, 2010
Radio Dude wrote:
Anybody got any comments on WBNT radio?
Worst radio I've ever heard! Used to work there back in the early 70's while in High School.
The place was run like a dictatorship, by the 'little Hitler" himself..a.k.a. Hillard (brother of Millard) Mattie. lol
Is he still alive?? HIllard
One day I'll buy that hole of a station, & fire Hillard "the tyrant) Mattie.
This piece of worthless humanity actually fired people for taking a vacation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oneida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
proud to be American again. 5 hr Po Po 11
Let Go Of Cotton Eye Joe And Be Parents 6 hr Just wandering 17
R there any young boxers or mma fighters?? 8 hr Shortstack 21
nremt 8 hr hmm 4
Cherry fork road 9 hr anonymous 3
My name is Stephanie and I love to FART !!! (Jan '13) 13 hr Tam4768 66
Body Found 16 hr Wondering 8

Oneida Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance