Online sex offender list blocked

Online sex offender list blocked

There are 22 comments on the Omaha World-Herald story from Jan 2, 2010, titled Online sex offender list blocked. In it, Omaha World-Herald reports that:

Just hours before the names of all Nebraska sex offenders could have been posted on the Internet, a Sarpy County District Court judge blocked the action so the constitutionality of a new law can be further litigated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Omaha World-Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#1 Jan 2, 2010
Finally, a judge doing the right thing, everyone should be judged seperately for their crimes, this whole law is unconsitutional, i know we want our kids safe but this law will only make things worst
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#2 Jan 3, 2010
Whose rights are you trying to protect? The criminal's, the victim's, or the future victim's?

Oh, that's right, the victims have no rights.
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#3 Jan 3, 2010
this is gonna make people register its gonna make more people hide out and not register, meaning theres gonna be more children being kidnapped or assualted.....plus low risk offenders if they do offend its usually for other crimes, if you read the real statitics youd know, murders happen every day and i dont see anyone comin out makin them register... hmm murders happen way more then sexual assualts i think congress has it all wrong its as simple as having required monitoring devices on high risk offenders or offenders who commit additional crimes its as easy as 1 2 3 but congress isnt smart enough to figure things out
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#4 Jan 3, 2010
also since they started having people register crime has gone up and more assualts have taken place, ever seen are you smarter then a 5th grader well congress didnt pass that test
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#5 Jan 3, 2010
Actually, if they don't register that just gives law enforcement one more reason to pick them up and throw them away. So, they won't need to only molest children to get put in jail. What we really need is more reasons to get them off of our streets.
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#6 Jan 3, 2010
can i ask u something so if a 19 year old sleeps with a 16 year old your fine with putting his name all over the internet so people can harass or harm him even though it wasnt forced...Its people like you who have no sense of forgiveness..obviously your a athiest or youd be a little more sensitive to some of these issues
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#7 Jan 3, 2010
The constitution has been thrown out, soon enough will be executing people for these crimes, oklahoma tried but didnt succeed, in the end people like you gotta answer to god to, just like sex offenders do but when u ask for forgivness you will be so think about it
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#8 Jan 3, 2010
Your no better then any sex offender, in the eyes of god a sin is a sin , everyone sins and in the end you will have to answer to god too
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#9 Jan 3, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
can i ask u something so if a 19 year old sleeps with a 16 year old your fine with putting his name all over the internet so people can harass or harm him even though it wasnt forced...Its people like you who have no sense of forgiveness..obviously your a athiest or youd be a little more sensitive to some of these issues
So, were you that 19 year old?

It's called action / consequence. When we know that something is illegal and do it anyway thinking that we can somehow get by with it and then get caught, we need to accept responsibility for that action.

Forgiveness doesn't mean shirking responsibility for one's action. We take responsibility for our actions, accept the consequence, and change our behavior. We don't presume upon the niceness (or gullibility) of others, or of God.
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#10 Jan 3, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
The constitution has been thrown out, soon enough will be executing people for these crimes, oklahoma tried but didnt succeed, in the end people like you gotta answer to god to, just like sex offenders do but when u ask for forgivness you will be so think about it
It's funny how you bring up rights and the Constitution. In your above example the 19 year old takes advantage of the 16 year old's lack of knowledge, or experience in the world and the things in it. So, he violates her and the law, then wants to hide the Constitution and his rights when he denied her Constitutional rights through her lack of experience and his manipulation of her emotions in the name of love.
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#11 Jan 3, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
Your no better then any sex offender, in the eyes of god a sin is a sin , everyone sins and in the end you will have to answer to god too
We're not talking about God. We're talking about the law. But if we were talking about God, I seriously doubt that you have repented of your sin. Otherwise, you would accept the consequences that God sees fit to impose.
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#12 Jan 3, 2010
i hate to say it but when u do your time then its done, if you wanna do double jeopardy, by putting them in a house and pasting their name on a website so people can harass them and redicule them then you got problems, punishing people twice isnt the answer...its all about monitoring your children and keeping them safe, be a parent then you have no worries
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#13 Jan 3, 2010
theres no way anyone can make a argument that the new law is gonna make things any better, if someone can name one reason how it will tell me, tell me how the law gonna make more people register, no its not its gonna make them run then we do have a bigger problem then before...people like john walsh have used scare tactics, i feel bad for him he lost his kid, but his wife did get charged to if u didnt know, with neglect... the real statistics are all been distorted...the public has always been mis informed ....if john walsh would of watched his boy then he would be alive today bottom line
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#14 Jan 3, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
i hate to say it but when u do your time then its done, if you wanna do double jeopardy, by putting them in a house and pasting their name on a website so people can harass them and redicule them then you got problems, punishing people twice isnt the answer...its all about monitoring your children and keeping them safe, be a parent then you have no worries
So, when is it done for the person that got violated? Do you think that it just disappears for the victim when you go to jail? When you've served your time, does time just revert back to before it happened for the victim, as if it never did happen? At least, with murder, the person isn't walking dead the rest of their life.

Don't blame the parent for your actions. We're attempting to keep our children safe by letting every parent know who's out there and where their at, so we can keep our children safe. You want to make it as unsafe for them as possible so they can get preyed upon from the shadows.
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#15 Jan 3, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
theres no way anyone can make a argument that the new law is gonna make things any better, if someone can name one reason how it will tell me, tell me how the law gonna make more people register, no its not its gonna make them run then we do have a bigger problem then before...people like john walsh have used scare tactics, i feel bad for him he lost his kid, but his wife did get charged to if u didnt know, with neglect... the real statistics are all been distorted...the public has always been mis informed ....if john walsh would of watched his boy then he would be alive today bottom line
It's hard enough watching out kids as it is. What we don't need is someone ready to prey on them at every turn when we blink our eyes. Sure, we can chain and lock our children up, but who would be the prisoners, then? I think the prisoners should be the one committing the crimes, not the victims. After they become the victims, you put them into a prison for the rest of their lives. Even though you think your crime is over. Their's still exists.
Jeremy

Omaha, NE

#16 Jan 4, 2010
victim is a bad word to use, most are victims, it should be evaluateed on a case by case basis
ROBERT

Wichita, KS

#17 Jan 4, 2010
WAS NELSON ON THE LIST>.........
Second Thoughts

Apple Valley, CA

#18 Jan 4, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
victim is a bad word to use, most are victims, it should be evaluateed on a case by case basis
No, that is what the law designates. You keep attempting to lessen the significance. It is a crime, regardless of how you feel about it. There is a victim, regardless how you feel about it. There is a victim regardless if the underage partner consented, or not. There is a reason that minors cannot enter into contracts. It's, because they are not mentally and emotionally capable of entering into one. They don't have the foresight to know all the details and consequences of contracts. Not to mention, they are easily duped and manipulated by one of more experience. The 16 year old is a victim of the 19 year old. Doing time does not erase the emotional scar of and to the minor.

It's not about if I feel something is, or should, be a crime. It is!
It's not about if a minor consented. It's not recognized by the law.
It's not about doing time, or that the criminal feels that his debt is paid. The victim will carry this the rest of her life.
It's about selfishness. The criminal only cared about himself, not the girl. He knew it was illegal. He thought the law didn't apply to him.

He was wrong.
Brittany

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jan 5, 2010
"i hate to say it but when u do your time then its done"

Sex offender registries are necessary because it is a proven and well documented fact that offenders are highly likely to be repeat offenders. You want a case in point? How about the Cleveland serial murderer/rapist? He went on to rape and strangle at LEAST 11 women after he was released from prison for his sex crimes. Why don't you go tell the families of these victims that he had "done his time and it was done with?" You want some examples involving children? Sarah H. Foxwell age 11, Christopher Stephensen age 11, Jessica Lunsford age 9, Alicia Nipp age 13, Megan Kanka age 7, all murdered by sex offenders. Seventy four percent of children murdered in the U.S. are murdered by sex offenders. And as far as your argument about murderers, most of them that are convicted aren't released into the public again, so most don't get the chance to re-offend!
I TOLD YOU SO

Wichita, KS

#20 Jan 7, 2010
nelson was probably on the list, because there were small people involved, when hescrewed all of you in neb.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Omaha Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Omaha Emergency Dental Service Thu JPitman 3
News Shareholders Excited To See The Oracle Of Omaha Aug 27 just-us 6
News Arrest Made In Robbery Of Woman In Omaha Church Aug 23 Walkin Boss 2
horny Aug 20 Jnight 2
Review: I Love Kickboxing Aug 20 Margaret Nolan 8
The 4 best attractions of Omaha (Apr '14) Aug 15 SexSusie 8
News Omaha Priest Guilty of Stealing Reassigned (Jan '09) Aug 10 Dr Mal Practice 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Omaha Mortgages