State Awards $4.2 Million To Reclaim ...

State Awards $4.2 Million To Reclaim Abandoned Mines In Lackawa...

There are 1 comment on the The Bud Angst Report story from Aug 31, 2006, titled State Awards $4.2 Million To Reclaim Abandoned Mines In Lackawa.... In it, The Bud Angst Report reports that:

OLYPHANT, Lackawanna County - Pennsylvania is investing nearly $4.2 million to seal abandoned mine openings, grade and backfill highwalls and open pits, and control erosion on 178.2 acres of abandoned mine ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Bud Angst Report.

Joe K

Tully, NY

#1 Aug 31, 2006
I grew up in Olyphant. I remember finding a mine near the Underwood Road back in 1982. The entrance was at about a 45-degree angle, so we were able to walk down into the mine. Stupid as we were we took photographs not even thinking about the flash ignighting mine gas. We were lucky!

I remember my grandfather warning me about the airshafts. If you aren't careful, you can fall down a hole in the ground. There was one right near the spot we used to pick huckleberries (between Grassy and Fernhill.

I don't know of any recent trageties, except for the mine fires. It is good that this backfilling and what not will be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olyphant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Detractors, growing debt dog local builder (Jun '07) Jul 24 Dlfalls the real ... 3,657
News , License: N/A, Created: 2017:07:21 09:25:58 Jul 22 JustDe 1
Pills,opiates and others Jun '17 Pillz 1
Skyliners Drum & Bugle Corps Hosting DCA Show o... Jun '17 SkylinersDBCorps 1
News Highway Construction Workers Nervous About High... (Jul '14) May '17 Al Busillo 4
News Why won't IHOP open a restaurant in Wilkes-Barr... (Feb '15) May '17 Hehehehe 10
If you go to Wal-Mart in Tunkhannock, There is... (Jan '16) Jul '16 monkey hater 3

Olyphant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Olyphant Mortgages