The energy companies are desperate!

Posted in the Olney Forum

Liza Jane

Bridgeport, IL

#1 Jul 6, 2012
They've already started leasing ground for this travesty!

http://truth-out.org/news/item/10169-fossil-f...
Liza Jane

Bridgeport, IL

#2 Jul 6, 2012
pusscat9
Thursday, Jul 5, 2012 12:49 PM CDT

Climate "skeptics" are not skeptics. They're denialists. Skeptics are open to information. Denialists refuse to consider evidence no matter how overwhelming it is. Creationists aren't skeptics, they're denialists. Birthers are denialists. Truthers, ditto. Let's stop implying that denialists are rational by calling them skeptics.

While we're at it, let's stop pretending Mormonism isn't a home cooked American cult.

sticks
Thursday, Jul 5, 2012 02:51 PM CDT

It's worse than that. Many denialists get the science, and know they are lying, all to make a buck for themselves and their patrons/clients. At a point, denialism is criminal fraud.
Brian G Biehl

Olney, IL

#3 Jul 6, 2012

“Mind over Matter”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 6, 2012
Energy companies are desperate with this heat wave ??
Liza Jane

Bridgeport, IL

#5 Jul 6, 2012
Read my link and you will understand:
http://truth-out.org/news/item/10169-fossil-f...

“Mind over Matter”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#6 Jul 7, 2012
Uh-Huh ,,, Suuuure..... Riiight...... I think you have sniffed too much anhydrous ammonia in your life-time..........
Liza Jane

Bridgeport, IL

#7 Jul 8, 2012
Déjà Vu All Over Again?

Unfortunately, the CCS plan seems like déjà vu all over again.

In recent decades, the US industry has pumped roughly 120 billion tons of liquid toxic waste into the ground, hoping it will stay put forever. This is called "deep well injection" and it's perfectly legal.

Recent investigative reports by Abrahm LustGarten of ProPublica, for example, have revealed, "Records from disparate corners of the United States show that wells drilled to bury this waste deep in the ground have repeatedly leaked, sending dangerous chemicals and waste gurgling to the surface or, on occasion, seeping into shallow aquifers that store a significant portion of the nation's drinking water."

Oversight and regulation are lax or nonexistent. LustGarten found that 150,000 wells are presently shooting industrial fluids thousands of feet below ground, but "scientists and regulators acknowledge they do not know how many of the sites are leaking."

Would CCS be any different?

According to Harvard Professor Daniel Schrag, the fossil fuel industry's CCS plan may bury one to two trillion tons of liquid carbon dioxide below ground this century. That's eight to 16 times more liquid CO2 than the 120 billion tons of toxic waste already injected underground in the US.

During his investigation, LustGarten interviewed Mario Salazar, who worked for 25 years as a technical expert with the US Environmental Protection Agency's underground injection program. "In 10 to 100 years we are going to find out that most of our groundwater is polluted" by toxic waste, Salazar said.

The fossil industry's CCS plan, using CSG as the "Trojan Horse," seems certain to make such a dire prediction ever more likely to come true.
This article is a Truthout original.
Rastous

Olney, IL

#8 Jul 8, 2012
Had a dream last night I was building a northbound tow down in the New Orleans harbor. We had 49 barges in tow when we departed Baton Rouge northbound.

Actually that was a nightmare!! I remember that trip clearly. It was June of 1993 during the big flood. The river was shut down on the "Upper" from St. Louis to St. Paul so I was called upon to deck on the 10,500 hp. Co-op Spirit. She was a beautiful girl.

http://www.towboatgallery.com/Cooperative_Spi...
jack mahoffer

Mount Carmel, IL

#9 Jul 8, 2012
not too many "he's" out there in the boat world.
why are boats always a "she"
Rastous

Olney, IL

#10 Jul 8, 2012
A ship is called a "she" because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about, she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hides her bottom and when coming into port, always heads for the buoys."

That, my friend, is why a ship is a she.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Used Clothes For Sale! CASH ONLY! 1 hr Duame 1
Old "Butt Hurt" Paris, Harrisburg Forums! Nothi... Fri Duame 3
Mayor Ray Vaughn Now Will Be Responsible For Th... Jan 18 OlneysFinest 2
Smitty Jan 16 Angel 1
Karl (Aug '12) Jan 14 Sumanure Stinks 6
Taylor Family of Noble, IL (Aug '07) Jan 12 Marlene 7
Earthquake! Tremors felt in West Michigan (Apr '08) Jan 10 Red351 223
Olney Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Olney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:35PM
Who Benefits Most from Hiring of Gase?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet