Beer "sting" leaves nine businesses i...

Beer "sting" leaves nine businesses in hot water

There are 25 comments on the WVLT-TV Knoxville story from Sep 20, 2011, titled Beer "sting" leaves nine businesses in hot water. In it, WVLT-TV Knoxville reports that:

In an investigation conducted by the sheriff's special opeartions unit of businesses who sell beer, nine of the Anderson County vendors sold to minors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVLT-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
penny

Blacksburg, SC

#1 Sep 22, 2011
CLINTON, Tenn.(WVLT)-- In an investigation conducted by the sheriff's special opeartions unit of businesses who sell beer, nine of the Anderson County vendors sold to minors.

Anderson County Sheriff's Department, Lake City Police Department and the Oliver City Police Department teamed up with Allies for Substance Abuse Prevention of Anderson County (ASAP) to investigate which vendors were selling to minors.

Of the 9 that did, six actually checked the identification showing the person to be under 21 and still sold beer. Those include Downtown Marathon on Main Street in Oliver Springs, Food City on E. Tri-County Blvd. in Oliver Springs, Ginger's Deli & Grocery on Briceville Hwy. in Briceville, La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant on N. Main St. in Lake City, Norwood Marathon on E. Tri-County Blvd. in Oliver Springs, and Smokes & Boats on Clinton Hwy. in Powell.

The other 3 did not ask for identification at all. Those include Citgo (Big John's Market) on Main Street in Lake City, Picante Mexican Grill on Winter Gap Rd. in Oliver Springs, and Raceway on E. Tri-County Blvd. in Oliver Springs.

These businesses have been cited and will be asked to appear in front of their respective courts to discuss their punishment.
penny

Blacksburg, SC

#2 Sep 22, 2011
4 businesses in Oliver Springs. I hope they throw the book at them.
teetotaler

Santa Barbara, CA

#3 Sep 22, 2011
It doesn't surprise me the Marathons, Raceway, and Picante got busted. Towelheads and Mexicans never ID. l don't patronize any of those businesses. FC surprises me. But FC is understaffed and always shorthanded so l understand.
peanuts

Cumberland Furnace, TN

#4 Sep 22, 2011
You are so right, foreigners NEVER ID for booze or cigarettes. How did Picante's get busted by the Andeson County cops? They are in Morgan County. But I hope they make it stick, anyway. I ate there a couple of times and the food sucks and the staff is rude. Too bad Choices went out of business.
peanuts

Cumberland Furnace, TN

#5 Sep 22, 2011
Oh, I just noticed the OS Police Dept was part of this also. So that explains the Marathon downtown (Roane) and Picante's (Morgan) got busted. Picante's lets the drunks sit outside and get plastered, great job cops!
Gilly

United States

#6 Sep 22, 2011
How many more establishments sell beer? Rite Aid, Dollar General and Pizza Hut? So over half of the beer vendors in OS are selling to minors? Just great!! Does Uncle Tom's bbq sell beer? Their never opeen anyway.
teetotaler

Santa Barbara, CA

#7 Sep 22, 2011
Shell/Picadilly's sells beer also. There won't be anything done to these businesses except a minimum fine. OLIVER $PRING$ WANT$ THE REVENUE TOO MUCH TO PULL THEIR BEER LICEN$E.
Rayburn Joe

Thomasville, NC

#8 Sep 22, 2011
olver springs needs ligger stores so i dont need to drive to hilltope.
Hey

United States

#9 Sep 22, 2011
Joe, you might want to lay off the liquor until you learn how to spell correctly. For that matter, even Hilltop - no E. Picante's is still Roane County, you have to pass there and start around the curve to be in Morgan County. I doubt they will do anything to the person that sold the beer, like a smack on the wrist but will fine the stores pretty good so they can reep the benefits!
Lambert

United States

#10 Sep 22, 2011
Hey Hey! You need to learn to spell yourself. Reap isn't spelled "reep."

Rayburn got his point across even though he might be drunk today. One or two "ligger" stores would benefit the town. Folks will drive from Morgan and Roane County and parts of Anderson to buy liquor in OS instead of driving to Hilltop in Harriman over halfway to Rockwood. This sting is a good thing. Now do you think these foreigners will start carding people? If they don't, they will probably lose their beer permits the second time or face even stiffer fines.
teetotaler

Santa Barbara, CA

#11 Sep 22, 2011
When does the next court session take place? Were any of the Picante staff cited for green card violations? No telling what else is being sold down there besides beer to minors.
Kane

Inman, SC

#12 Sep 22, 2011
I think it's entrapment! The cops probably got some 20 year old meth head who looks 50 years old to pull off their sting. When I was growing up, legal drinking age was 18 years old and we didn't have a problem with it. Anderson County is eaten up with meth labs, thefts, pills, prostitution and many other things worse than a beer buzz the cops should pursue. Sure, they get some publicity and a pat on the back. I hope the judge throws the whole thing out of court.$#@!&* F#@!&^@# m(*!$+* feegrabbers.
teetotaler

Santa Barbara, CA

#13 Sep 22, 2011
No, it's really a good thing. Maybe it will teach these foreigners like those at Picante or Raceway that they can't enter this country without respect for the law.
hockenup loogeese

Winnsboro, SC

#14 Sep 22, 2011
I'm sure there will be no probation of license suspensions. As a couple of people stated already, all the courts want is some fine money and revenue from beer sales. Has there ever been a sweep run through Oliver Springs targeting beer sales to minors. Whose idea was this? Probably not anyone in OS, no one at city hall or the police force has enough sense to plan this. It has to be someone at the Anderson County Courthouse who planned this one.
no big surprise

Brentwood, TN

#15 Sep 22, 2011
I am not surprised about these businesses. I have been to both Marathons and Raceway and I have witnessed the cashiers selling beer/cigarettes to people who look like kids and not even asking for ID. Big no-no! They deserve to have the beer removed from their stores, but you know that WON'T happen.
the facts

Fort Campbell, TN

#16 Sep 22, 2011
no big surprise wrote:
I am not surprised about these businesses. I have been to both Marathons and Raceway and I have witnessed the cashiers selling beer/cigarettes to people who look like kids and not even asking for ID. Big no-no! They deserve to have the beer removed from their stores, but you know that WON'T happen.
Hello!!! Most 18-21 yr olds look like kids if you are over 30!!! The next time why dont u call the cashier on it?? Bet u will be sooo wrong. I know plenty of 25 yr olds who look 19 or 20. Ive been in these stores too and i have seen them ID people and have even witnessed them refuse to sell without it.So next time call them on it.
msk

United States

#17 Sep 22, 2011
First of all half of you are so racist wen you all go in these stores your talkng about and i know for a fact that marathon ids because i always get asked for id! Second of all when the cashiers do id you bitch about it so why dont you oliver springers talking crap go do something with yourselves besides gossip about stuff you know nothing about its pretty pathetic
not a pillbilly

Fort Campbell, TN

#18 Sep 22, 2011
So a 20 ... Almost 21 yr old buys beer its a crime? Yes, it is against the law. How bout the police focus on ALL the pill selling in all of the stores parking lots listed here?????????? EVERY STORE in OS has that problem. I have saw numerous drug transactions at the majority of these establishments. I know store owners=$$$ Pillheads=no$
I would rather see a 20 yr old buy beer than buy a pill. What is our social downfall at this moment??? Prescription drug abuse. Not alcohol abuse, that was the 80's. Wake up OS!!! We all know the ppl will pay the fine and the counties will get the "much" needed funds, but really??? The TAX paying citizens will not reap the reward. We will let the pillbillys take over and cater to them. I work hard for my paycheck and am drug free, its about time the citizens of OS wake up and DEMAND the police take the druggies to JAIL!!!
take back os

Fort Campbell, TN

#19 Sep 22, 2011
not a pillbilly wrote:
So a 20 ... Almost 21 yr old buys beer its a crime? Yes, it is against the law. How bout the police focus on ALL the pill selling in all of the stores parking lots listed here?????????? EVERY STORE in OS has that problem. I have saw numerous drug transactions at the majority of these establishments. I know store owners=$$$ Pillheads=no$
I would rather see a 20 yr old buy beer than buy a pill. What is our social downfall at this moment??? Prescription drug abuse. Not alcohol abuse, that was the 80's. Wake up OS!!! We all know the ppl will pay the fine and the counties will get the "much" needed funds, but really??? The TAX paying citizens will not reap the reward. We will let the pillbillys take over and cater to them. I work hard for my paycheck and am drug free, its about time the citizens of OS wake up and DEMAND the police take the druggies to JAIL!!!
true true true!!!!!!!!!! lets take back our town.!!!!! im almost ashamed to tell people where i live. Its drug central.
Janssen

Winnsboro, SC

#20 Sep 23, 2011
Lower drinking age back to 18 and use the revenuer to fight drugs. And Oliver Springs is no worst than Clinton, Oak Ridge, Harriman, Knoxville, Lake City or any of these other towns when it comes to drugs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oliver Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer lane an Bobby Moran 10 hr R-a-h 30
Stevie Copeland back where he belongs! (Nov '12) Thu justabadboy 24
Courtney bridges Apr 28 Yup 16
What's going on in The Cove Apr 28 JohnBoy 52
Becca Martin Apr 27 jesse 4
splittin up (Jul '15) Apr 27 Sick 33
Pat Kelley goes to jail Apr 26 Robin 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oliver Springs Mortgages