US 60 in Carter County becomes memori...

US 60 in Carter County becomes memorial highway for six fallen offi...

There are 4 comments on the Grayson Journal-Enquirer story from Oct 8, 2010, titled US 60 in Carter County becomes memorial highway for six fallen offi.... In it, Grayson Journal-Enquirer reports that:

Family members of the late Carter County Constable Elmer Kiser participated in the unveiling of the highway sign that will dedicate a portion of U.S. Rt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Grayson Journal-Enquirer.

Very thoughtful

Cleveland, GA

#1 Oct 10, 2010
October 8, 2010

US 60 in Carter County becomes memorial highway for six fallen officers and firefighter
Anonymous Journal-Times The Journal-Times Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:46 AM EDT

Oct. 8, 2010 — Five law enforcement officers and a firefighter, all of whom died in the line of duty, were memorialized Tuesday, Oct. 28, as “fallen heroes of Carter County” with the unveiling of highway signs dedicating stretches of U.S. 60 in their honor.

The 2010 General Assembly directed the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to erect memorial highway signs on six distinct sections of the roadway in Carter County and within the cities of Grayson and Olive Hill.

“An overdue and lasting tribute to the fallen heroes of Carter County is evidenced in these signs,” said State Sen. Robin L. Webb, of Grayson.“The people of Carter County – the people of our entire Commonwealth – can never fully repay the debt of gratitude that we owe to the firefighters and law enforcement officers – men and women – who serve us in the face of danger every day.”

Sen. Webb first proposed the memorial highway signs while serving as a state representative. She reintroduced her proposal this year in the Senate, as Senate Joint Resolution 155. It was enacted as part of a larger piece of legislation, House Joint Resolution 67.

“I deeply appreciate the work of all of our emergency responders and their commitment to protecting our lives and property. I proudly supported the joint resolution, and I believe that these highway signs will honor our heroes for generations,” said state Rep. Jill York, of Grayson.

Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock said placement of memorial highway signs is a responsibility the cabinet takes seriously.“It is important to pay tribute to people who have given of themselves at great personal sacrifice. This is a tribute that will stand the tests of time,” Hancock said.

The six responders being honored, and the sections of roadway dedicated to their memory, are:

• Randy Utley, a Grayson firefighter killed June 16, 2003. U.S. 60 running west from Carol Malone Boulevard to the Grayson city limits is now Firefighter Randy Utley Memorial Highway.

• Jack Claywell, a Grayson police officer who died June 16, 1983. U.S. 60 running east from Carol Malone Boulevard to the Grayson city limits is now Officer Jack Claywell Memorial Highway.

• Elmer Kiser, a Carter County constable killed Sept. 27, 2006. U.S. 60 from mile point 8.8 to mile point 12.8 is now the Constable Elmer Kiser Memorial Highway.

• Coleman Binion, Carter County sheriff, killed Sept. 5, 1997. U.S. 60 from mile point 12.8 to mile point 16.8 is now the Sheriff Coleman Binion Memorial Highway.

• Gus Hall, an Olive Hill deputy marshal killed June 25, 1903. U.S. 60 from mile point 16.8 to mile point 20.8 is now the Deputy Marshal Gus Hall Memorial Highway.

• Glen A. Stephens, an Olive Hill police officer killed Sept. 3, 1965. U.S. 60 from mile point 24.8 to mile point 28.8 is now the Officer Glen A. Stephens Memorial Highway.
Dawg

Wagoner, OK

#2 Oct 11, 2010
Well if they are so thoughtful why didn't they include Gary White...Grahn Vol. Fireman killed responding to a call in 1994 I believe , In the line of duty !
NoT

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2010
Not a city department. I guess
Dawg

Greenup, KY

#4 Nov 7, 2010
City dept or not he gave his life responding to save others !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olive Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cassie Workman Katie Price 6 hr Bigred 1
olive hill fire rescue vehicles 8 hr Curious one 6
Looking for SD 11 hr Mind blown 6
There's gotta be at least one! 12 hr Flirty 5
Dwayne duncan Tue Huh 2
Olive Hill Music Thread (Apr '12) Mon Musikologist 28
Bonnie Barber/Dorena Barber Mon blah blah 5

Olive Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance