Tom T. Hall

There are 47 comments on the Hilobrow story from May 25, 2010, titled Tom T. Hall. In it, Hilobrow reports that:

When the story of post-war Southern Literature is fully told, at least one songwriter will stand among the best and his name is TOM T. HALL .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hilobrow.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anomymous

Grayson, KY

#1 May 26, 2010
You have to be joking!
Olive Hill

Morehead, KY

#2 May 27, 2010
Olive Hill wasn't good enough for him years ago. He always said he was from Morehead. Didn't even return for one of his parents funeral. why would anyone say he is the best of anything?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 May 27, 2010
I am from Olive Hill and to be honest I am ashamed to say that Tom T Hall is from here. I always say that Darvin Sturgill is from here. He had done more for O.H. than Tom T Hall.
John

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 May 27, 2010
Years ago Tom T. Hall came home every 4th of July to perform. He brought other country music stars with him. He would get so drunk, he would pass out in his trailer and not even make an appearance. The others had to carry the show. People got tired of paying then not seeing him, so they quit going. One year he did a free outdoors show and hardly anybody went so he got mad and started claiming Ashland as his hometown. He took all his stuff(junk) out of the caboose then to. His brother still lives in Olive Hill.
Ginger

AOL

#5 May 27, 2010
Wrong! He left because all of the proceeds from his 4th of July shows was supposed to go to help with ball teams and other organizations but he found out that the powers that be in Olive Hill had not done what he asked. Get your facts straight please!
John

Broken Arrow, OK

#6 May 27, 2010
Like a Ginger would know! I was here, I remember it well.
Bambi

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 May 27, 2010
I would like to know wrote:
I am from Olive Hill and to be honest I am ashamed to say that Tom T Hall is from here. I always say that Darvin Sturgill is from here. He had done more for O.H. than Tom T Hall.
Why do you think you have to stand up for Darvin Sturgill?
Darvin and Tom T were the best of friends.

What is it to you any way? They would be ashamed of you.
Tom T and Darvin are in their seventies. What have YOU
Done for this town.
I don't see how anyone would be proud to be from Olive
Hill, Especially now!!! Read the headlines. 2757
Right

Waterloo, Canada

#8 May 28, 2010
Tom T Hall had a free show at the WC high school gym. It was very well attended. He may have been drinking but he was not drunk. After the concert my friend and I went onto his bus because she wanted his autograph. He was very nice. Yes he did come to Olive Hill for the fourth every year and yes he usually got very intoxicated. It was always my opinion he gave the free show to make up for previous times. Btw. I dislike country music but enjoyed the free concert.
FYI

Belcher, KY

#9 May 28, 2010
Bambi, you need to catch up. According to your post, you don't even know that Darvin Sturgill passed away a while back.
bambi

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 May 28, 2010
FYI wrote:
Bambi, you need to catch up. According to your post, you don't even know that Darvin Sturgill passed away a while back.
I know very well that Darvin has died, will soon be
three years. He would still be in his seventies.
Nit pick all you want~you got the message
Ginger

AOL

#11 May 29, 2010
Hey John, you need to meet Jack because you obviously don't know JACK!
William Flack

Austin, TX

#12 May 31, 2010
Tom T. Hall's catalogue of albums through the 70's is an amazing body of work. I am very proud that we both hail from Olive Hill. The complexities of his political and social thought (as evidenced in his music) is truly an anomaly in country music for the period. Any serious student of classic country music acknowledges his contribution.

Darvin Sturgil's "...Sings County Classics" is also an exceptional album worth seeking out. It was produced by Scotty Moore, Elvis's guitar player during his Sun years (and beyond). That's quite a pedigre.

Why anyone would want to judge the art by the artist is beyond me....by this measure one would not be able to enjoy all but a pittance of the movies, books, and music available. If Da Vinci were an arse, should it make you any less enamored of the Mona Lisa smile?

A lot of people from Olive Hill are still holding on to old grudges, rumors, and vague notions concerning who Tom T. may or may not be. Most of the negativity seems to be based on some kind of feeling of rejection; that he didn't properly pay hommage and acknowledge Olive Hill as home. I hope his recent free concert to raise money for the OHHS restoration says something about his character to those in doubt.
Toby

West Liberty, KY

#13 May 31, 2010
William Flack wrote:
Tom T. Hall's catalogue of albums through the 70's is an amazing body of work. I am very proud that we both hail from Olive Hill. The complexities of his political and social thought (as evidenced in his music) is truly an anomaly in country music for the period. Any serious student of classic country music acknowledges his contribution.
Darvin Sturgil's "...Sings County Classics" is also an exceptional album worth seeking out. It was produced by Scotty Moore, Elvis's guitar player during his Sun years (and beyond). That's quite a pedigre.
Why anyone would want to judge the art by the artist is beyond me....by this measure one would not be able to enjoy all but a pittance of the movies, books, and music available. If Da Vinci were an arse, should it make you any less enamored of the Mona Lisa smile?
A lot of people from Olive Hill are still holding on to old grudges, rumors, and vague notions concerning who Tom T. may or may not be. Most of the negativity seems to be based on some kind of feeling of rejection; that he didn't properly pay hommage and acknowledge Olive Hill as home. I hope his recent free concert to raise money for the OHHS restoration says something about his character to those in doubt.
Thank you. Very well said!
Tammy

Whitney, TX

#14 Jun 1, 2010
William Flack wrote:
Yeah, it says nobody will pay to see, or not see, him.
related

Ashland, KY

#15 Jun 1, 2010
I am related to Tom T Hall and I for one can say he thinks he is to good to come home and recognize where he came from.. He had family pass and never acknowledged them.. But I can say his brother Jack is nothing like him.. I wish Tom well but he needs to come down off his high horse.
gone but not forgotten

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 1, 2010
William Flack wrote:
Well said! not ALL of us are ignorant..The reason He dosen't return often is evident on topix daily....
William Flack

San Antonio, TX

#17 Jun 1, 2010
Tammy wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, it says nobody will pay to see, or not see, him.
He performed for free. The show sold out. Big winfall for restoration project.
Outof Cntrl

AOL

#18 Jun 1, 2010
The man has retired from the active music business. What more do you want of him? Lots of people have moved away from Olive Hill, never to return. Some come back to visit old friends and family, should we hold that against them. Back in the 70's and early 80's when Tom T was at the height of his career, he did give back to the community. I enjoyed the concerts that he and his friends did at that time. He no longer has the "star" power to pull off those types of concerts. Waiting for a handout is not going to happen, he's paid his dues. Let him enjoy his retirement.
Joe Bob

Englewood, CO

#19 Jun 4, 2010
related wrote:
I am related to Tom T Hall and I for one can say he thinks he is to good to come home and recognize where he came from.. He had family pass and never acknowledged them.. But I can say his brother Jack is nothing like him.. I wish Tom well but he needs to come down off his high horse.
An artist is an artist is an artist. I try to keep the art separate from the artist if possible. I like his music. Those who know him as a person are in better position to judge character if they choose. I too, am aquainted with Gene Jack; and he is a QUALITY person that I'm proud to say is a friend.
This story sounds a lot like Duane Allen of the Oaks; who "deserted" his hometown and the first gospel group he sang with in Texas. Gene Watson, on the otherhand is totally unashamed of his Paris,TX roots and makes mention of it numerous times in a concert.
Larry

Morehead, KY

#20 Oct 6, 2010
Maybe some people dont know that Tom T Hall has another brother that lives in Olive Hill Alot of people need to do their homewok before they talk out their ASS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olive Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bums 14 hr Sam 2
Andy Bradley 16 hr Duh 7
Harold Easterling od (Nov '10) Thu robin Lee gilbert 99
Duvall & Moore Wed Info 5
Melvin stevens (Sep '14) Wed Wondering 3
J.T. Raybourn (Sep '09) Wed LLL 37
City Pool Closed Again this year Wed DrKnow 21

Olive Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance