Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2009

We are looking for any information on the old Driscoll House at Upper Tygart. We would like to know anything about the original owner like
1) Name - We belive it is Paul Driscoll
2) What happened to them, where they went
3) What they did for a living - We have distillery
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Caney_Queen

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2009

My information comes from who used to be bartender (now long gone)at the Driscoll House.

The Driscoll House located on US60 was the "Big Easy" of Olive Hill. Provided entertainment, rooms, and drink to some of the upper class in the area. Even the road patrol, now called the state police, frequented the establishment.

Once a woman came in one night. She was shot in the head in one of the chairs sitting against the wall, no one knew her name, and to his knowledge nothing was done about it. Her blood was all over the walls he said.

Paul Driscoll had a son by his first wife, around 8 yrs old. In front of the home he was made to walk under the culvert to get water. One day he decided to cross the road instead and was ran over by a car. He was supposed to have been buried under the house, but later I believe this was a myth. Driscoll married a second time, and had two daughters currently living in Olive Hill.

As for your questions:
1) Paul Driscoll
2) not sure, you could locate his daughters
3) best my memory, olive oil?, virgin oil. whatever it was that he had learned from his country.

It has been so long since this man told me all these stories this is all I can seem to remember at this time. Hope this helps!
Caney_Queen

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2009

Here is another story that this man told me.

There were 3 men going from county to county tearing up establishments like the Driscoll House. Sandy Hook, KY and Rowan Co., KY were some of their prior stops. The workers were expecting them to come, and were prepared with gunfire. When they arrived they left not in the same shape as they came.
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Thank you so much! We know one daughter was Nikola, do you know the others name and who they married? Any stories or any info is greatly appreciated! Does anyone have a picture of the original house? I heard there was a book sold at the Post Office that had old info and pictures, if anyone has one of those we would love to be able to copy the info from it.
Kewl

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

what year was this?? this is the first i have heard about it. im like you i would love to learn more.. Is the house still there ???
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

This house was built around 1930, according to the 1930 Census, the Driscoll's lived there with their 2 children, a servant and a brother-in-law. Does anyone know who Paul Driscoll sold it to? I know Ben Parker owned it at some point and time and had it as a brothel and bar. It had 9 bedrooms and every bedroom had a sink, we have changed that into 4 suites. I would really like to turn it into a B&B (not decided for sure yet) but would like as much info on the house as possible.
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

According to my family lore, long ago, my cousins and uncles frequented the place... I'd love to know more about it. Does anyone know anything about a red-headed woman (probably a prostitute) who was murdered there? Apparently one of my uncles was in love with her and was devestated when she died. Legend in the family is that my uncle found the man who did it, and no one ever saw him again. Where exactly is the house located? What does it look like?
who knows

Whitesburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Tip wrote:
This house was built around 1930, according to the 1930 Census, the Driscoll's lived there with their 2 children, a servant and a brother-in-law. Does anyone know who Paul Driscoll sold it to? I know Ben Parker owned it at some point and time and had it as a brothel and bar. It had 9 bedrooms and every bedroom had a sink, we have changed that into 4 suites. I would really like to turn it into a B&B (not decided for sure yet) but would like as much info on the house as possible.
Ask Paul Steagall or anyone of his family members. His mom was a Parker and stayed there when it was a brothel.....Their mom just passed away a few months ago.
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

It's located at the corner of Fleming Fork Rd and US 60. The Blankenships used to own it. We are currently in the process of building a website for it but it's not up and running yet. We have pics as it was before we bought it and now as we are remodeling, I would be glad to share, just email me at vickie@thedriscollhouse.com and I will forward pics.
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

who knows wrote:
<quoted text>Ask Paul Steagall or anyone of his family members. His mom was a Parker and stayed there when it was a brothel.....Their mom just passed away a few months ago.
Paul is suppose to get me a copy of the book sold at the post office but I know everyone is busy and this is definitely not the top of other peoples list so I wanted to ask for public help.
whatever

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

I live down the road from it and I also have many old pictures of it as once upon a time, my Grandfather was looking to purchase it. I will be more than happy to find those and send them to you.
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

whatever wrote:
I live down the road from it and I also have many old pictures of it as once upon a time, my Grandfather was looking to purchase it. I will be more than happy to find those and send them to you.
I would love that!!! I will be happy to bring in a scanner and meet you at the house or if you have the ability to scan them and send them to the vickie@thedriscollhouse.com address I would so appreciate it. I intend to have any photos framed and displayed in the house. Also any stories are appreciated!

Does anyone know where the baby grand piano came from, if the Blankenships put it in or if they bought the house with it in it. It's a Wurlitzer and they sold out to Baldwin in the 1950's so it has some age on it as well.
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Caney_Queen wrote:
My information comes from who used to be bartender (now long gone)at the Driscoll House.
The Driscoll House located on US60 was the "Big Easy" of Olive Hill. Provided entertainment, rooms, and drink to some of the upper class in the area. Even the road patrol, now called the state police, frequented the establishment.
Once a woman came in one night. She was shot in the head in one of the chairs sitting against the wall, no one knew her name, and to his knowledge nothing was done about it. Her blood was all over the walls he said.
Paul Driscoll had a son by his first wife, around 8 yrs old. In front of the home he was made to walk under the culvert to get water. One day he decided to cross the road instead and was ran over by a car. He was supposed to have been buried under the house, but later I believe this was a myth. Driscoll married a second time, and had two daughters currently living in Olive Hill.
As for your questions:
1) Paul Driscoll
2) not sure, you could locate his daughters
3) best my memory, olive oil?, virgin oil. whatever it was that he had learned from his country.
It has been so long since this man told me all these stories this is all I can seem to remember at this time. Hope this helps!
I will include your story in our book, if you would like for me to use you name please email it to me, and the same for anyone else.
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

This is great! I have always been fascinated by that house! Thanks for preserving it... Will you guys be offering tours or anything like that? I'd love to see where my old family members used to hang out :)
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Mommacita wrote:
This is great! I have always been fascinated by that house! Thanks for preserving it... Will you guys be offering tours or anything like that? I'd love to see where my old family members used to hang out :)
As soon as we are finished we will have an open house or just stop by anytime and walk through. You would be surpirsed who has already come by. I started telling them I would let them tour for 1 hr of labor! LOL We are in the process of turning the 9 bedrooms into 4 suites, the rooms were just so small you could only get a full bed in them but I guess they didn't need much more than that then. Everything else we are trying to just update and preserve, we did have to put a new kitchen in as the one there was so small and just a galley kitchen. We are hoping to host weddings, parties, reunions and anything else we can accommondate. Its a work in progress but we're hoping to be open for business in a few months so eveyone can enjoy the place.
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

That's awesome! I'd love to stop by and I'd be happy to help :)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

I would love to help as well. I live within walking distance and if you need any help I would love to volunteer my time. Just let me know!
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

I was just joking about the hour of labor but you guys are more than welcome to come see it. Doesn't look like much right now because of the construction but that should be clearing up soon.
Rita Rite

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

My grandpa said when the women got shot she was playing cards she went to put the gun in the pot,it went off hitting her ih the head,she didnt even know what happen,she raked the money up put it in her purse and fell over dead,it was told they buried her purse in the basement,in the middle of a big hole of water. where they use to wash there clothes, the lady is buried on 60 just past church around the corner from house, the lady had family portsmouth ohio who came to the wake which was set up in the house, the family was upset because of the way she was living, she had a doctor degree and worked as a doctor for 6 years, in ohio ....
Tip

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Rita Rite wrote:
My grandpa said when the women got shot she was playing cards she went to put the gun in the pot,it went off hitting her ih the head,she didnt even know what happen,she raked the money up put it in her purse and fell over dead,it was told they buried her purse in the basement,in the middle of a big hole of water. where they use to wash there clothes, the lady is buried on 60 just past church around the corner from house, the lady had family portsmouth ohio who came to the wake which was set up in the house, the family was upset because of the way she was living, she had a doctor degree and worked as a doctor for 6 years, in ohio ....
OMG that is so interesting. There is a well in the basement! Do you have a name? Anything else! I love it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of253
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Olive Hill Forum right now

Search the Olive Hill Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Chris Smith 20 min confused 5
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 42 min Poles 26,176
Pioneer life will take center stage at Carter C... 12 hr cost 2
would Sherrif Casey pack up and move out of off... 19 hr Blue Eyes 4
please carter co. Don't re-elect 19 hr Blue Eyes 2
10 year reunion Sat WCHS Class of 06 reunion 1
Wonder who sign the list to let Danny Sparks ou... Sat caveman 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Olive Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000