False sexual harrassment claim

Posted in the Olive Branch Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Please help

Olive Branch, MS

#1 Nov 7, 2008
My husband worked for a well known Memphis based company where a co-worker accused him of sexual harrassment. Instead of being fired he was relocated to another store in the area where the management proceeded to cut his hours, not to mention he was the only white person in the store as well as probably in the area of town they moved him to. He quit due to the lack of hours as well as safety concerns due to the part of town he was working in.
The lady who accused him later admitted she was lying about it all. She was not punished, written up or fired for doing so.
My husband wants his job back at the previous location but the company is dragging their feet and won't answer him about it.

Does he have any legal recourse in either suing the lady who falsely accused him or with the company who did nothing about it when she admitted to lying?
My suggestion

West Memphis, AR

#2 Nov 7, 2008
see an attorney, PRONTO!!!

He does have legal recourse. Topix, however, isn't the place you want to go to for advice. Contact an attorney, asap, today!
Please help

Olive Branch, MS

#3 Nov 7, 2008
My suggestion wrote:
see an attorney, PRONTO!!!
He does have legal recourse. Topix, however, isn't the place you want to go to for advice. Contact an attorney, asap, today!
Do you have any suggestions of someone who make take the case without us having to pay anything up front?
Not sure

West Memphis, AR

#4 Nov 7, 2008
Please help wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any suggestions of someone who make take the case without us having to pay anything up front?
I wish I did, but I don't know of anyone that would do it without anything up front. That doesn't mean there aren't attorney's out there who wouldn't though. Grab the yellow pages and start calling around, the worse thing they can tell you is "no". Good luck!
Spunky 57

Kennett, MO

#5 Nov 20, 2008
Please help wrote:
My husband worked for a well known Memphis based company where a co-worker accused him of sexual harrassment. Instead of being fired he was relocated to another store in the area where the management proceeded to cut his hours, not to mention he was the only white person in the store as well as probably in the area of town they moved him to. He quit due to the lack of hours as well as safety concerns
The lady who accused him later admitted she was lying about it all. She was not punished, written up or fired for doing so.
My husband wants his job back at the previous location but the company is dragging their feet and won't answer him about it.
Does he have any legal recourse in either suing the lady who falsely accused him or with the company who did nothing about it when she admitted to lying?
Yes, he needs to obtain an attorney, & try to find as many witnesses as possible that this woman admitted she lied. The company can be forced to pay him back pay for the hours they cut, humiliation, slander, unfair practices, etc., a settlement, & his job back. The woman can be sued for slander, defamation of character etc. Some attorneys will take this case on a percentage of the settlement. Should this woman own a home, car, any properties, she can be forced to sell them to pay him. Ira's, savings accounts etc. I certainly think he has a case. I have a case against an individual at this time so I know it can be done. Your husband needs to do this as soon as possible.
HUH

Olive Branch, MS

#6 Nov 20, 2008
Spunky 57 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, he needs to obtain an attorney, & try to find as many witnesses as possible that this woman admitted she lied. The company can be forced to pay him back pay for the hours they cut, humiliation, slander, unfair practices, etc., a settlement, & his job back. The woman can be sued for slander, defamation of character etc. Some attorneys will take this case on a percentage of the settlement. Should this woman own a home, car, any properties, she can be forced to sell them to pay him. Ira's, savings accounts etc. I certainly think he has a case. I have a case against an individual at this time so I know it can be done. Your husband needs to do this as soon as possible.
We actually live in Arkansas and I see your IP address is out of Blytheville. Can you recommend an attorney who might could help us? Any information would be very helpful.
Thank you!
V to the Q

Skokie, IL

#7 Nov 26, 2008
I have been told that a coworker has accused me of sexual harassment. I have been told that a letter will be placed in my file. This action has not yet occurred. I was not told what the letter will state or if it will go in my official file or my supervisor's file. However, my accuser has participated in our friendly banter for quite some time. My accuser has never said this banter is offensive or uncomfortable, but has given me the impression that it was just friendly banter. My accuser has never said to stop this form of play or anything closely related. I feel that I have been wrongly accused. What do you suggest?
Resident

West Memphis, AR

#8 Nov 26, 2008
It's always been my understanding that you can't be written up or have any disciplinary action placed in your file without your knowledge and normally you have to sign such documents. Most of the time if you sign it it's an admission of guilt and if you don't, it's automatic termination.

However, considering the two of you flirted back and forth, it's hard to prove your case of innocence. I'd suggest persuing it further with your company, because you do have a right to know what the letter states, if they refuse, contact an attorney and take it from there.
V to the Q

Skokie, IL

#9 Nov 30, 2008
I appreciate your response. However, the two alternatives were both somewhat negative - one of course terribly worse. I'll bite my tongue an settle for the less of two evils.
beanie

Pasco, WA

#10 Jan 9, 2009
I have a friend who is also my co-worker. At a work function she was not feeling well. I went over and aked her if she was OK, hugged her and gave her a peck on the lips. Evidently this offended her and she went to managment about sexual harrasment. I am mortified, my husband and I are totally baffled. Am I in trouble. I do this with all my friends and other girls at work also do this, it is a sisterly thing. What can happen to me? They have made me stay home from work while the INVESTIGATE me for crying out loud? Please help!
olive

Quezon, Philippines

#11 Jan 17, 2009
i recommend what is recommendation
impeachsamrikard

Olive Branch, MS

#12 Jan 26, 2009
Take it from a white male. I wasted my time talking to a very well known attorney in Shaven. Bottom line-if your a white male, you have no rights. Waste of time.
mom

Memphis, TN

#13 Jan 26, 2009
awww..violins..poor white men..schucks.
From the beginning you took all the power - controlled the free world and now you don't anymore because you let it happen.
Future generations, commit this to memory: Evil Prevails When Good Men Do NOTHING.
So keep sitting back on your fat white @$$ and whining about it while other races and genders take action.
U talkin bout

West Memphis, AR

#14 Jan 26, 2009
the thugs who take matters into their own hands? or the hookers who take your money for a quick trick. Oh wait, You mean the ghetto queens who sit around on their fat asses and draw welfare for all "they babay's"?

That's right....I said it! Screw you.
mom

Memphis, TN

#15 Jan 26, 2009
nope. talkin bout lazy white men who don't even mow their own yards or know how to change a tire.
The ones who PAY those hookers behind wife's back and keep em hookin.
The ones who enable thugs to keep on by being scared of them and looking away.
If I were a ghetto queen, you damn right I'd just keep havin babies if it PAID me too....duuuh! White men made all these rules and have been taken advantage of for many years
but white man just lets it go on...and on
U talkin bout

West Memphis, AR

#16 Jan 26, 2009
lol, you have seriously got your head screwed on wrong. Your posts are all about "white man this and white man that"

Really?

You must be one of the people who think that the new black president is gonna work for you. Just the THOUGHT of that makes me laugh outloud.
mom

Memphis, TN

#17 Jan 26, 2009
again nope. i am a white woman who voted for mccain but i have to keep watching the world go down the toilet now matter who was elected because of my fellow white man always backing down to people using racial and gender scare tactics. i am so sick of it all really i just hated to hear one whining and responded to impeachsamrikard's post turning this whole thing into a RACIAL thing as always. i wish more white men had balls these days. so what in the hell is YOUR problem?
U talkin bout

West Memphis, AR

#18 Jan 27, 2009
I don't care what color you are or WHO you voted for. Your lopsided view of how things work is amazing, to say the least.

Judging from your posts, you have the same mentality as alot of lazy, welfare sucking trash.
You mentioned that you'd have babies, if it paid you. That's just ignorant. Just goes to show that trash will always be trash, regardless of color.

My only "problem" is that far too many people want to place the blame on "the white man" or "the black man", instead of taking a long hard look in the mirror at themselves. Everyone has a play in it, period. There's something that we ALL do on a daily basis that affects the world in general.

History is the past. A way to keep it from repeating itself, is for ignorance like yours, to grow up, smell the food stamps and get a grip. Life is what you make of it, however, I dont make my life for the financial support of others.

Now, if I'm wrong on my view of you, then please by all means, enlighten me. However, just based on what you've posted so far, it goes one of two ways for me: A. you're out to purposely get a rise out of someone or B. you really ARE that stupid.
mom

Memphis, TN

#19 Jan 28, 2009
your statement:"You must be one of the people who think that the new black president is gonna work for you. Just the THOUGHT of that makes me laugh outloud."
SO I ANSWERED.
"I don't care what color you are or WHO you voted for."
OKAY THEN WHY DID YOU MENTION IT?
"You have the same mentality as alot of lazy, welfare sucking trash."
NO, I AM THE OPPOSITE, IF YOU READ you would see that I am going off about whiney baby white guys.
"Now, if I'm wrong on my view of you, then please by all means, enlighten me."
YOU COULD NOT BE MORE INCORRECT I dont even know what a food stamp looks like....it appears I got a rise outta YOU though. lol
mom

Memphis, TN

#20 Jan 28, 2009
"Life is what you make of it, however, I dont make my life for the financial support of others."

Are you saying you dont pay taxes? what's your secret?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olive Branch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Murley Memphis topix says Thu Guest 1
Review: Malenda H Meacham Law Offices (Jul '09) Jun 18 Tony 28
deceased woman in Horn Lake Jun 8 kaitlynharris17 1
flea market Jun 6 betty 1
Military Verteran Comes Home Jun 5 KingMe17 1
Fred's Jun 5 Sydni 2
What's being built at Tulane and Goodman rd Jun 5 theytoldus 2

Olive Branch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance