First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

Local Guy

#1 Feb 6, 2013
I've spoken to several people who have expressed an interest in starting a business in Olive Branch. But like anyone with any sense, they know that the risks involved are many, specially in Alexander County. None the less, this is their home and they are just a hair from pulling the trigger on investing their savings to try just the same.

They've kicked around opening a bait & tackle, little league ball park, miniature golf, pizza parlor, drive in theater, indoor shooting range, driving range, paintball city, etc. Myself, my advice was to keep their

money in the bank!

What would you like to see open in Olive Branch (can't wait for this)?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#2 Feb 6, 2013
An education center for adults.

Or a school for adults.

Yes, I would keep your money in the bank. May have to go to their heirs. If they have any.

Local Guy

#3 Feb 6, 2013
Obvious6 wrote:
An education center for adults.
Or a school for adults.
Yes, I would keep your money in the bank. May have to go to their heirs. If they have any.
Do you mean as in G.E.D. education or higher education?
Cactus pete

United States

#4 Feb 6, 2013
How about a drug addiction clinic to treat those who have destroyed a large part of their brains?
just sayimn

Murphysboro, IL

#5 Feb 7, 2013
i think there should be a after school activity center opened for kids after school with soccer and stuff the school dont offer and so younger kids that isnt old enough to play sports in school that wants to could have the option
stretch

Eastaboga, AL

#6 Feb 7, 2013
Although the Horseshoe Lake area doesn't belong to the people of Olive Branch, it is still a local resource with high potential for lucrative businesses. The Lake belongs to the people of the state of Illinois but it's up to the locals to expand on it's business potential.
First of all, the majority of Illinoisans have no knowledge of the Lake's very existence and if they did, so what?
Second, the only people who could really profit from the Lake are the locals so naturally, it is the locals' responsibility to create businesses related to their most viable resource.
You people either have no idea or no appreciation for the treasure sitting right under your nose.
It's sad to say but even though I do not reside in Olive Branch, I believe that I have a greater appreciation for Horseshoe than you locals.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 7, 2013
Not a GED. or high school diploma but a school where adults can learn some parenting skills. Money management common sense. skills for a better job etc

Local Guy

#8 Feb 7, 2013
Cactus pete wrote:
How about a drug addiction clinic to treat those who have destroyed a large part of their brains?
That was actually in the works and part of the election last November. Mr. Mark Minor promised his support for such a clinic in Cairo after several citizens mention of the need. However, Minor never got elected and those who did

have shown no interest.

Local Guy

#9 Feb 7, 2013
just sayimn wrote:
i think there should be a after school activity center opened for kids after school with soccer and stuff the school dont offer and so younger kids that isnt old enough to play sports in school that wants to could have the option
To create a "center" for all ages would be very difficult and a monster to staff and insure. I agree, a local Boy's & Girl's Club would go a long way around here. Again, a candidate last November expressed interest in an athletic center here that featured USA Amateur Boxing and would serve those from 8 yoa and up. He ran a large one down south and was extremely successful. But again, he wasn't elected and I have heard nothing since.

Local Guy

#10 Feb 7, 2013
stretch wrote:
Although the Horseshoe Lake area doesn't belong to the people of Olive Branch, it is still a local resource with high potential for lucrative businesses. The Lake belongs to the people of the state of Illinois but it's up to the locals to expand on it's business potential.
First of all, the majority of Illinoisans have no knowledge of the Lake's very existence and if they did, so what?
Second, the only people who could really profit from the Lake are the locals so naturally, it is the locals' responsibility to create businesses related to their most viable resource.
You people either have no idea or no appreciation for the treasure sitting right under your nose.
It's sad to say but even though I do not reside in Olive Branch, I believe that I have a greater appreciation for Horseshoe than you locals.
You hit the nail squarely on the head! In a few years, the lake will be reduced to nothing but a mud hole due to the silt and goose crap. And the few who still manage to ink out a living by it will also move on to greener pastures.

The lake isn't much but it can be a life preserver to those locally if the locals would just show an interest and a sliver of intelligence. And once it's gone, it's gone!

Local Guy

#11 Feb 7, 2013
I think we've gotten a little off tract. A local person is wanting to start a business locally. What kind of business would you suggest?

I've found that the businesses that have started up and failed have done so for two main reasons.

First;
Once the business has established itself, those who started it now feel comfortable and soon fail to keep regular business hours and days open etc. In short, if they feel like sleeping in or taking a day or two off, they do it and those who once patronized it don't want to waste their time and gas to see if its open.

Second;
In order to cut corners, family/friends are hired and the owners soon find themselves in the "red" due to theft and inventory going out the back door.

In short, the briefly successful business is no longer treated as a business, i.e. Bad Management!
stretch

Lithonia, GA

#12 Feb 7, 2013
Hair Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail squarely on the head! In a few years, the lake will be reduced to nothing but a mud hole due to the silt and goose crap. And the few who still manage to ink out a living by it will also move on to greener pastures.
The lake isn't much but it can be a life preserver to those locally if the locals would just show an interest and a sliver of intelligence. And once it's gone, it's gone!

Has anybody seen the "Melton's Bait Shop"? Holy Crap! Is that place open for business or do they have meth heads living there?
I see the rental boats still laying around. I don't think I would want to get one of them out on the water though. I wonder why the meth heads haven't scrapped them by now.
Why doesn't somebody buy that place, renovate and reopen it? Does anybody fish any more?
Crstl

United States

#13 Feb 7, 2013
I think a recreational building would be nice, kinda like Osage in Cape. Have different activities for different age groups on different days & times.
drphil

United States

#14 Feb 8, 2013
very true,hairball.
seriously

United States

#15 Feb 8, 2013
Crstl wrote:
I think a recreational building would be nice, kinda like Osage in Cape. Have different activities for different age groups on different days & times.
What kind of business would that be? A simple playground would be just as profitable.
John

United States

#16 Feb 8, 2013
Hair Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
To create a "center" for all ages would be very difficult and a monster to staff and insure. I agree, a local Boy's & Girl's Club would go a long way around here. Again, a candidate last November expressed interest in an athletic center here that featured USA Amateur Boxing and would serve those from 8 yoa and up. He ran a large one down south and was extremely successful. But again, he wasn't elected and I have heard nothing since.
Shouldn't matter whether he was elected, if interested, try to do.

Location hidden

#17 Feb 8, 2013
It should be a center for all ages because it is needed for all ages.

A "playground" would not have a well rounded offering of activities and would not work in the rain, snow, etc.

Many things could be done in a central system.

The issue would be money to fund such a place.
seriously

Whitewater, WI

#18 Feb 9, 2013
Obvious6 wrote:
It should be a center for all ages because it is needed for all ages.
A "playground" would not have a well rounded offering of activities and would not work in the rain, snow, etc.
Many things could be done in a central system.
The issue would be money to fund such a place.
I guess I misunderstood the topic to be about new businesses instead of a new publicly funded, community recreation center.

Location hidden

#19 Feb 9, 2013
Grants might be an option.

Donated materials might be an option.

Donated work from individuals might be an option.

Build on later, if needed might be an option.

There might be people needed to run and operate such a place, which could be looked at as a form of business.
seriously

Woodstock, IL

#20 Feb 9, 2013
A lemonade stand could be looked at as a form of business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olive-Branch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanting info on Roger H. Thu Damn 2noZ 5
el patio mcclure (Jan '17) Wed Taken my turn 12
Why are people so rude and nosey in East Cape? (Mar '17) Wed Just say no 9
Casey C (Mar '12) Wed Rap it twice 14
darla (Jul '12) Tue HeresYourSign 13
News Trapped in Tamms: Inmates in Illinois' only sup... (Sep '09) Sep 19 Ernest T bass 48
Angie jones (Nov '16) Sep 19 Red Bone 16

Olive-Branch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Olive-Branch Mortgages