ski resort double murder-1978
amigobirdy

United States

#2413 Jan 3, 2011
Janey wrote:
Buffalo news article from Feb 7th, 1996
(sorry I can't provide a link for it)
A man who distributed more than 100 pounds of marijuana each month in the Southern Tier has been sentenced to 61/2 years in federal prison.
Robert L. Stephens, 44, of Eldred, Pa., was called one of the Southern Tier's busiest marijuana traffickers from 1988 through 1993, Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas S. Duszkiewicz said Tuesday.
Under a plea deal last year, Stephens admitted to conspiracy to distribute more than 220 pounds of marijuana. More than $70,000 was seized from him during an investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
I wonder why the 1978 felony conviction(s) weren't mentioned.
amigobirdy

United States

#2414 Jan 3, 2011
I think this article and site are both interesting:
http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/fa...
Paul

Eden, NY

#2415 Jan 4, 2011
OHS74 wrote:
On to another problem. Look here:
http://nighttraits.net/groups/gallery/id_3/im...
Here it says the safe was 2 feet square. Earlier in this thread I've read it was 15" square. Which is it?
Here it says water was 2 1/2 feet (or 30"). Earlier in thread it was claimed to be 18". Can we come to an agreement as to which it was?
It's been nearly 40 years since I was last on the bridge, but if I remember the laws of physics correctly, any safe dropped off of it would fall directly downwards and imbed itself. If we accept the larger safe dimensions and river's height, the safe would be under water. Unless you walked across the bridge, it could not be seen from a car. So, the officer must have been alerted to it's possible presense by someone -- perhaps the alleged witness to the light colored Pennsylvania vehicle. Or, maybe someone else?
The safe was seen from the bridge by an area resident, who was walking his dog. He then notified the state police.
Lars Nady

South Weymouth, MA

#2416 Jan 4, 2011
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
The safe was seen from the bridge by an area resident, who was walking his dog. He then notified the state police.
Paul, where did you get this information as it was not publicized? According to the media, Trooper Adams spotted the safe while on routine patrol.
OHS74

United States

#2417 Jan 4, 2011
Lars Nady wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul, where did you get this information as it was not publicized? According to the media, Trooper Adams spotted the safe while on routine patrol.
Yes -- see attached link:
Seems strange that it was found on what was described as a routine patrol. Unless walking the bridge and looking down into the river was a routine investigative act.
Lars Nady

South Weymouth, MA

#2418 Jan 4, 2011
LE did say that the bridge was "swept" to no avail a number of times after the crime because it was known as a dumping ground for stolen items. Then one day the safe just showed up in the water.

I continue to wonder, was the safe tossed in there because the perp(s) wanted it to be found?
OHS74

United States

#2419 Jan 5, 2011
Lars Nady wrote:
LE did say that the bridge was "swept" to no avail a number of times after the crime because it was known as a dumping ground for stolen items. Then one day the safe just showed up in the water.
I continue to wonder, was the safe tossed in there because the perp(s) wanted it to be found?
This area being a known dumping ground makes little sense to me. Do you mean that crooks, as a collective, used it routinely? Or, did crooks independently come to this conclusion when wanting to get rid of contraband? If this area was commonly known by underworld types, then wouldn't they know that LE knew this as well since they routinely paroled the area? Dumping the safe in shallow water under these circumstances looks increasingly amateurish -- or increasingly brilliant if you follow Lars Nady's thinking.
Paul

Niagara Falls, NY

#2420 Jan 5, 2011
OHS74 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes -- see attached link:
Seems strange that it was found on what was described as a routine patrol. Unless walking the bridge and looking down into the river was a routine investigative act.
Trooper Adams was the officer who responded to the call, The newspaper said it was routine patrol.
Paul

Niagara Falls, NY

#2421 Jan 5, 2011
Lars Nady wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I can't reveal my source.
Lars Nady

South Weymouth, MA

#2422 Jan 5, 2011
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you were informed by either LE or the person who spotted the safe?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2423 Jan 5, 2011
First off I hope everyone here had a wonderful Holiday. Paul I have heard from a couple different sources that the man walking the dog and the routine patrol is a cover. That the troopers son is the one who told him the safe was there. Adams son at that time I was told was involved with some shady people and was told the safe was going to be dumped over the rail of the bridge on a certain date. From what I understand that when LE wanted to talk to his son Adams lawyered up and LE didn't take it any farther. I asked one of my LE friends about it and he said there wasn't any thing there that was that.
OHS74

United States

#2424 Jan 5, 2011
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul, you comfortable with your source? Is he/she still available for consultation, or is your info from years ago?
OHS74

United States

#2425 Jan 5, 2011
VT, if this is true, then LE and the media have purposefully had us running in circles chasing our tails. Do we have any idea as to the age of Trooper Adams' son and who he was hanging with at the time?

Location hidden

#2426 Jan 5, 2011
I believe he was in his teens at the time, but I will try to find out more about his age. It was mostly punks from Allegany and Olean but I was also told he had some friends in Bradford to. I will also try to find out what I can about names but so far thats been hard to get. Two names though was little M and J.S. from Rock City.

Location hidden

#2427 Jan 5, 2011
Also media writes what LE gives them to write. I don't believe media is trying to cover or misslead anyone it's just what LE gave them.They can't write on rumors or what the locals are saying.

Location hidden

#2428 Jan 5, 2011
stupid puter !!
OHS74

United States

#2429 Jan 6, 2011
vt41607hokies wrote:
Also media writes what LE gives them to write. I don't believe media is trying to cover or misslead anyone it's just what LE gave them.They can't write on rumors or what the locals are saying.
This is certainly discouraging, if not disgusting. What happened with the press being the fourth estate? If the press is just regurgitating what LE tells them, without taking some effort to confirm it independently, then the media is complicit with their half truths and mistruths. If members of the press are out there reading here, we challenge you to step up and do your jobs!
Lars Nady

Needham, MA

#2430 Jan 6, 2011
vt41607hokies wrote:
Two names though was little M and J.S. from Rock City.
Do you mean Little Lou M or someone else?
amigobirdy

Tucson, AZ

#2431 Jan 6, 2011
OHS74 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is certainly discouraging, if not disgusting. What happened with the press being the fourth estate? If the press is just regurgitating what LE tells them, without taking some effort to confirm it independently, then the media is complicit with their half truths and mistruths. If members of the press are out there reading here, we challenge you to step up and do your jobs!
I think what you have described is very true.

Location hidden

#2432 Jan 6, 2011
First Lars yes to little lou M. Second please everyone try to understand that the media around here is just recapping news stories on other networks or local obits and births. The Times is run on a shoe string budget and is now just a step up from the penny saver. The radio stations here do the best they can but there is no money for investigating reporters. They are lucky to have DJ'S. And alot of people around here feel this is a old story never to be resolved so move on and don't waste money or time on it ( I don't feel this way). I know it's sad but thats the way it is here. This area is one step from a ghost town there is no money here for anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toby Limburg is a voyeur 2 hr red147 2
Best lawyer for custody/visitation 9 hr Nothingshocksmean... 6
Scumbag attorney at it again (Feb '16) Mar 23 Winnie Cooper 7
William Wilson giving his kids up Mar 21 missy 2
Politics Mar 21 Hillary for prison 2
Middaugh's trash (Apr '16) Mar 21 Buzzy 25
Amanda Holt (Oct '15) Mar 18 Amy Ann 37

Olean Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance