High And Mighty: Mansion Rises Atop Avon Mountain -- Courant.com

Full story: Hartford Courant

There are big houses. And then there's the enormous mansion being built in West Hartford on top of Avon Mountain.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
John B

Greenfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Chase is a good man and has worked hard for his money ... much of which he gives to charities, My concern with this extravagance is to the environment. Avon Mountain and the surrounding reservoirs should always have been off-limits to devekopment, especially like this home, which is far beyond what one family needs to reside in.

Brings thoughts of that Tennesseean Al Gore and his houses which are no help to any environment.
Duke

Harwinton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Appalling.
Heating oil is not cheap

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Wow,the West Hartford Hum_Vee.
Shoreliner

Guilford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Global warming implications?
Milt Friedman

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Had they built I-291 thorugh there in the 1970's, would it had done less damage to nature?
Chunky

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Most of it will be designated to supply temporary living quarters for the homeless. Connecticut has an enviroment? Clue me in, where is it? Oh, the dinosaur park?
human being

Avon, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Disgusting.
CT RESIDENT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Their 8800 Sq Ft house wasn't large enough? How much space does one need. Just plain arrogant!!!

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Yea, damn those successful people. What the hell does he think he's doing, spending money like it was his, and then he has the gall to give to charities as well.

Global warming implications? Only if he leaves the door open in the winter time.
A Have Knot

Stonington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

OKAY
Reevee

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Give these people a break. If the town of West Hartford was concerned then they would have said no to the building. The Chases clearly didn't wish to speak about their new home and yet the Courant saw fit to print virtual blue prints of it anyway. I think it's intrusive and I feel bad for these people. The article reeks of envy and spite. If people are so worried about the environment, stop wasting electricity to make judgemental posts and go clean up the Connecticut River.
Frank

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

If they can afford it and worked hard for it, GOD BLESS THEM.

PS do they want to adopt me?
Yes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Bigger is always better... way to go.
Rakim

West Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

CT RESIDENT wrote:
Their 8800 Sq Ft house wasn't large enough? How much space does one need. Just plain arrogant!!!
He needs as much space as he can afford. If it was your money, you sure wouldn't want me to tell you how to spend it.

Excessive? Absolutely. But is this new or newsworthy?
just some guy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

wow that is a lot of toilet paper to buy.
aggrivated

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Reevee wrote:
Give these people a break. If the town of West Hartford was concerned then they would have said no to the building. The Chases clearly didn't wish to speak about their new home and yet the Courant saw fit to print virtual blue prints of it anyway. I think it's intrusive and I feel bad for these people. The article reeks of envy and spite. If people are so worried about the environment, stop wasting electricity to make judgemental posts and go clean up the Connecticut River.
not just electricity but there are more and more things being built. Where are the wildlife supposed to go? If it's just the two of them, why build such a big home....the land is getting smaller and smaller. no wonder why more and more people are seeing bears, and wild cats. it's because these animal have nowhere to go.
CT RESIDENT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

Rakim wrote:
<quoted text>He needs as much space as he can afford. If it was your money, you sure wouldn't want me to tell you how to spend it.
Excessive? Absolutely. But is this new or newsworthy?
You're right. I was hesitant to comment on this article. It is his business how he wants to spend his money, but I still feel it's arrogant. Best to keep a low profile about your wealth.
eat the rich

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

what a couple of ostentatious pigs.
and of course, proof that money cannot buy class.
great lesson for their children, too, about being responsible members of the global community.
but hey, i'm sure they're fine, upstanding people.
not.
Dwight Slocum Jr

Manchester, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

The excess today is sickening.
concerned local resident

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2007

The Courant has missed all the key research here. First, the house has been under construction so long that for years the site was operating a commercial business, selling and hauling off gravel resulting from essentially demolishing part of the mountain(with the wilful blindness of the relevant towns). Second, and most obscene, the town and the state DEP let themselves look the other way based while the 89 acre pond on Deercliff road was drained months ago, destroying a large wetland and doing untold damage to local wildlife and waterfowl. They did this based on the typical facile assurances and excuses provided by those determined to have their own way at the expense of the environment and community -- e.g. the pond would be dredged, it would provide additional firefighting resources on the mountain, there have been problems with it, etc. Where was the Courant's research on this instead of focusing merely on the ostentation of the house?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Middlesex County was issued at April 17 at 7:29AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Old Saybrook Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Old Saybrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE