State Lawmakers Pushing For Smoke Det...

State Lawmakers Pushing For Smoke Detector Bill - NewsChannel 5...

There are 6 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Feb 4, 2010, titled State Lawmakers Pushing For Smoke Detector Bill - NewsChannel 5.... In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

Less than two weeks after a duplex fire killed five people, state lawmakers have been pushing a bill that they hope will prevent the same sort of tragedy from happening again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

for-it

Nashville, TN

#1 Feb 4, 2010
The Pleasant View Fire Chief just contradicted himself: "By all rights it shouldn't have even worked." Well, that's the main reason representative Turner wants the most reliable photo-electric detectors installed. It only makes sense. These people need to quit putting a dollar value on other people's lives.

Since: Mar 08

Smyrna TN

#2 Feb 4, 2010
Smoke detectors are not that expensive, and if you cannot afford one the Fire Dept gives them away. It was this family's fault that there was not a working smoke detector.

Since: Jan 10

Clarksville, TN

#3 Feb 4, 2010
I hope they will help others pay for the good smoke detectiors, like when you had to buy an HD reciever. I would love a nice, reliable smoke detector, but some times it is hard enough to put food on the table. I have one, but it was one of the cheaper ones. I know it is not that great. When we have food that has burnt and the whole house is full of smoke it does not go off for a LONG time.
Scott

Lebanon, TN

#4 Feb 4, 2010
Is another BILL really necessary? Sounds like more wasteful spending. Where does the responsibility of people come into play? Where is the common sense? And who's going to be responsible for inforcing it. It shold be the parents responsibility to CHECK THEM so there family is safe. The next thing will be to retrofit ALL GOVERMENT buildings with the latest technology! Do law makers really think they can control this? MORE TAXES PEOPLE are comming our way. They will push a bill and use this family as a platform but none has donated to the family!!!!!!!!!
Detectors save

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2010
You can't make anything idiot proof. Photo-ionic smoke detectors are the best for residential use. Carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are purely life safety devices, just like exit signs and emergency lights. The origins are in saving people.They can be fairly easy to retrofit even in older homes. Fire departments will even give them away free in many cases.

There is no other system that has saved more lives than detectors. Here in this tragic case people died. In the same week, smoke detectors notified a family to get out during a residential fire. Just like airplanes, we don't hear much about the sucesses.

Rep Turner's (D) bill should be supported as well as a similer CO detector bill by Ketron (R). Together, these two bills can provide all the protection Tennessee needs in 1 and 2 family homes and rental residential property statewide.
dkb

Clarksville, TN

#6 Feb 4, 2010
this will never happen. it will be shutdown by the powers of the home builders assoc, thats why one of the most important codes was deleted from the 2008 code when it was finally enforced here in tenn. arc fault breakers. pressure from the big lobbyist kill anything that could help because of cost. mobile homes are the most dangerous for fire and have less codes enforced on them. a stick built home falls under several more codes than mobile homes. the very powerful manufactered home lobbyist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Old Hickory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arvin Minsaas (Oct '13) 4 hr exroman 4
News Dolly Parton's family life subject of TV movie 6 hr Elsie Layton 1
Kirk Comiskey dba Nashville Music Productions (Jan '09) 6 hr Maria Elena Gordon 29
My maserati does 185 6 hr Fink Ployd 1
Quality Control is Out the Door in Immigration ... 9 hr Culture Auditor 1
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 10 hr Chowder 2,455
News President Obama joins great guacamole debate 14 hr Toofargone 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Old Hickory Mortgages