Ex swim coach pleads no contest to pr...

Ex swim coach pleads no contest to prohibited act

There are 30 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Mar 10, 2010, titled Ex swim coach pleads no contest to prohibited act. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

A former volunteer swim coach pleaded no contest Wednesday in Bennington District Court to a charge that he blew a "raspberry" on the back of a female student's neck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nana says

Grand Isle, VT

#1 Mar 11, 2010
WOW - I wouldn't want Silver as my lawyer - Are you serious - 2 years we have to pay someone to watch a guy who blew on a kids neck??????????
Rainvill - PLEASE STOP BEING OUR DA Your killing our finances!
If the kid is that upset over a blow on her neck - she needs some serious counseling. Her issues go far beyond what this guy did.
But - the DA will take anything and make it into a mountain to ruin someone's life here in the area esp MEN. Why don't these MEN all get together and have her investigated.
Kevin Hoyt

Lincolnville, ME

#3 Mar 11, 2010
nana says wrote:
WOW - I wouldn't want Silver as my lawyer - Are you serious - 2 years we have to pay someone to watch a guy who blew on a kids neck??????????
Rainvill - PLEASE STOP BEING OUR DA Your killing our finances!
If the kid is that upset over a blow on her neck - she needs some serious counseling. Her issues go far beyond what this guy did.
But - the DA will take anything and make it into a mountain to ruin someone's life here in the area esp MEN. Why don't these MEN all get together and have her investigated.
Mr. Silver is one of the best (if not the best) lawyer around. This is just another set up and conviction notch for the prosecutor. Sounds like this guy was goofin around (and he did go over the line), but as a result, the State had him looking at 25+ years! When you are scared and up against the wall, the plea deal sounds awefull apealing. Too bad that is just another set up by the State - that's what they do and we will be reading more about this guy as the State continued to destroy him. Erica is becoming famous for this plea deal stuff only to hound these guys until she can get them with a violation of conditions. I personally was trying to have our beloved prosecutors investigated, but the cost for questioning authority might be more than even I can handle. These are "big fish" with alot of power and friends - tough battle for sure.
Kevin Hoyt

Lincolnville, ME

#4 Mar 11, 2010
aunt wrote:
Nana and anyone else that wants to know what REALLY happened..
..
Agreed, he crossed a line, and obviously everyone would be upset if this was their child. Having said that, should this man receive the same penalty as the 70 something year old with 80+ admitted accounts of sexual assult? It sounds almost like the punishment was pretty fair for the crime in this case. That is, if it were to stop here and any additional jail time would be on the perpatrator and his behavior. Looking at the passed policies and performance of these prosecutors, my guess is that you will get your wish anyway and the man haters club at the courthouse will find or make up something to violate this guy anyway. My sincere sympathy and condolences for your relative, I am sorry she was faced with this situation, but I can't help but to feel sorry for the guy in this case too because I know his life has been forever changed and affected as well.
GDog

Miami, FL

#5 Mar 11, 2010
If people didn't put themselves in compromising positions, stuff like this wouldn't happen. Grown men wanting to coach teenage girls in swimsuits seems a little pervy to me, anyway. Are there no women coaches to supervise the girls?
To tell the truth

Barre, VT

#9 Mar 11, 2010
Oh please, a slap through the face is what this guy needed if anything. Now I can't sleep. Give me a break. Rainville is a man hater and a nut case.

The girl who can't sleep any more is just looking for a little bump in her college tuition fund.
kim

Burlington, VT

#10 Mar 11, 2010
nana says wrote:
WOW - I wouldn't want Silver as my lawyer - Are you serious - 2 years we have to pay someone to watch a guy who blew on a kids neck??????????
Rainvill - PLEASE STOP BEING OUR DA Your killing our finances!
If the kid is that upset over a blow on her neck - she needs some serious counseling. Her issues go far beyond what this guy did.
But - the DA will take anything and make it into a mountain to ruin someone's life here in the area esp MEN. Why don't these MEN all get together and have her investigated.
Get your facts straight before comment..
cindy

Bennington, VT

#11 Mar 11, 2010
Tina Rainville is just doing her job! She has seen alot of abused children come through her doors.(Abused by Men & Woman) The States Attorneys Office is there to give the abused a voice without the need to be in the court room. Keep up the good work girls!!
Joe

Burlington, VT

#12 Mar 11, 2010
To tell the truth wrote:
Oh please, a slap through the face is what this guy needed if anything. Now I can't sleep. Give me a break. Rainville is a man hater and a nut case.
The girl who can't sleep any more is just looking for a little bump in her college tuition fund.
You sound like the nut case. Just another person that wants to talk when they haven't a clue..
Matt

Bennington, VT

#13 Mar 11, 2010
You people who think the States Attorney In Bennington County are man haters have serious issues. They are just doing there job and A good job at that! There should be no tolerance on sexual acts towards a minor. It doesn't matter if consencual or not. These are grown men or women taking advantage of a minor. They should be prosecuted to the fullest. And, for this guy he got off easy. HE IS A PREDATOR AND I BET HE'S DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFOPRE! I think he should monitored closely.
A oK

Bennington, VT

#14 Mar 11, 2010
Matt wrote:
You people who think the States Attorney In Bennington County are man haters have serious issues. They are just doing there job and A good job at that! There should be no tolerance on sexual acts towards a minor. It doesn't matter if consencual or not. These are grown men or women taking advantage of a minor. They should be prosecuted to the fullest. And, for this guy he got off easy. HE IS A PREDATOR AND I BET HE'S DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFOPRE! I think he should monitored closely.
Nana and friends are just mad that they were too dumb to keep from being caught. Their best bet is to run a Topix campaign so a new DA that's soft on sex predators will get in and turn a blind eye.
Lucy

Palm Harbor, FL

#15 Mar 11, 2010
Maybe we should be looking at ALL of the facts since some of us are interested in calling out others. Why are we not hearing about the fact that this troubled child has accused her own father, her Spanish teacher, and a substitute teacher of inappropriate conduct. A teacher committed suicide because her accusations ruined his life! She should be freaked out all the time. She is playing with people's entire lives! Witnesses saw the man blow a raspberry near her. He has a son on the boy's swim team, and they were all in a good mood and playing around. He only agreed to be an asst coach with the FEMALE coach because no one else would. Her own best friend who was sitting beside her refused to say that anything inappropriate happened. My best friend would have clawed his eyes out! This man has a family and a job. What about what he has suffered? What about his son? He has to watch his innocent father go through all of this knowing that he was only there to be with him. It's frightening to think that someone might have to accept a plea just to make the nightmare end for their loved ones, even when literally fifty people have come forward to say it was nothing like what she said.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#16 Mar 11, 2010
If people didn't put themselves in compromising positions as you say who would educate, coach sports, provide childcare, provide medical attention, and mentor your children? He was actually the assistant coach to the FEMALE head Coach who was present at all times. He also primarily worked with the boys one of whom was his son. He volunteered to help because no one else would. He wasn't just some random person off the street and he was screened by school with NO RECORD. Can the girl or her family honestly say this is the first man she's accused? No, they can't. Public opinion nonwithstanding, the girl's family should be looking into what makes this child feel the incessant need to accuse the men in her life of sexual misconduct. Her mother should explain how her daughter continues to be placed in situations where her daughter can be exposed to so many deviants. There is a victim, and he's a child's father. I am sure as the girl claims to no longer trust adults, he probably feels the same about the kids with whom he has future contact. It's easy to see perversion when you are looking for it. Are you saying that a woman should not be allowed to coach boys who wear swimsuits equivalent to spandex bike shorts or less? While we're at it let's string up all the little league coaches who pat the kids on the back or behind as they come into the dug out. After all, the DA now has one less case on her desk and Baseball season is about to start.
Kevin Hoyt

Brookfield, VT

#17 Mar 12, 2010
A oK wrote:
<quoted text>
Nana and friends are just mad that they were too dumb to keep from being caught. Their best bet is to run a Topix campaign so a new DA that's soft on sex predators will get in and turn a blind eye.
Come on, get real. I feel no sympathy for sex offenders and believe they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. BUT, lets make sure we are after real offenders before we destroy their lives. The State's attorney has done some great work and removed several criminals from our streets, but I also think this is a numbers game for them and they are after anyone and everyone that comes across their desk. Erica Marthage abuses her power and uses her inflence to destroy innocent men just for the game and she is wasting our tax dollars doing it. This isn't about right or wrong, guilt or innocents most of the time - it's about being right and getting the numbers up for a power hungry contol freak on a mission for governor or other position she doesn't deserve. They watch us, but who is watching them? It is healthy and nessisary to question authority every now and then, I think Nanna and friends have the right and the timing couldn't be better. I am assuming ALL of you read the banner.
Kevin Hoyt

Brookfield, VT

#18 Mar 12, 2010
Matt wrote:
You people who think the States Attorney In Bennington County are man haters have serious issues. They are just doing there job and A good job at that!
Have you been paying attension to the banner over this prosecutors reign? The problem was grant money. We are all for increased protection for our kids and against sex offenders, but the State has to SHOW how they use the money for progress. It has gotten slightly better, but at first there was a new sex offence in the paper everyday, at least 3-4 per week... in a town of what, 20,000 people? Come on, do you think sex offenders are getting dumber and more careless in their crimes? Or maybe the real child victoms are getting braver and come forward with their stories easier. Maybe Erica Marthage is the super cop she thinks she is... or maybe, just maybe, we have an overzealous prosecutor on our hands. I know of at least one innocent man who was destroyed by false accusations and is still fighting Erica for his livelyhood and future - even after the case against me was dismissed by the State.
And I only had to give up my home, my kids, my career, my future and my wages for the rest of my life to do it. After my attorney actually did an investigation, caught the non-reliable child witness lying 5 or 6 times and got her to admit she was "coached" by the State, they had no choice - but why should they be allowed to opoerate this way and how many more people will have to go thru the same thing? They are still punishing me today - after the fact, Is that justis?
progressive

South Portland, ME

#19 Mar 12, 2010
Lucy wrote:
Maybe we should be looking at ALL of the facts since some of us are interested in calling out others. Why are we not hearing about the fact that this troubled child has accused her own father, her Spanish teacher, and a substitute teacher of inappropriate conduct. A teacher committed suicide because her accusations ruined his life! She should be freaked out all the time. She is playing with people's entire lives! Witnesses saw the man blow a raspberry near her.
If what you are saying is true, I wonder if that was brought up in court, and if it wasn't, why not. Multiple accusations like that are either a cry for attention, or a cry for help. I seriously hope that this girl gets some counseling, whether her accusation was true or not. It's a serious accusation to lob against someone, and it can ruin and devastate communities and families, even if the accusation ends up being false. Oftentimes, there is irreparable damage.

In any event, it seems like there are parts of this story missing, whether by intentional omission in the courtroom, or omission in reporting. If the girl's friend, who witnessed the scene, did not testify and refused to, I wonder why that wasn't pressed more in court, as well.
K rock

New Britain, CT

#20 Mar 12, 2010
Sounds like the Klarc brothers again, Walter and Willyam! 345 SOUTH STREET apt 3
wow

Bennington, VT

#22 Mar 12, 2010
huh
wow

Bennington, VT

#23 Mar 12, 2010
non buudy ur a complete and utter jerk. you dont know the guy yet ur callin him a freak.

i think that if this girl has accused others of stuff like this before, and caused one of them to commit suicdie then dont you think it's time for this girl to get looked at??? i mean really? most likley in all of the cases, the accused people are innocent. shes just out to ruin others people's lives. this girl really bugs me!
i think the lawyer did his job right and got the coach the least amount of punishment possible, givrn the fact tht the coach didnt really do anything.
the girl is "losing sleep and having bouts of nause" a the poor stupid baby.

GO RANDY!!!!!!!!!!

“Make your word impeccable.”

Since: Jul 09

East Bumble

#24 Mar 13, 2010
Is he over seven feet tall?
Not important

Brookline, MA

#25 Mar 13, 2010
Yes he is seven feet tall and I know this for a fact because I was one of the members of the swim team. The fact is that this girl has changed her story plenty of times for some of us to figure out that it cannot be true. I dont even understand why she was on the team or even there because she "broke her nose" at practice about a month before this happenened but didnt tell us until two days later. You would think that she would have told us on the spot. Also, 40 some-odd people where in the pool area but didn't see him do this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Old Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Act 39 Study Jan 17 Markey P Fife 13
News Police: Woman had sex with 14-year-old boy Jan 10 Markey fife 3
News AG files lawsuit against local landlord Cross (Mar '09) Jan 4 markey fife 80
News Former NSK plant manager gets jail for embezzle... Jan 1 Markey fife 2
21 Countries (Dec '15) Dec 30 markey fife 42
News For some, double yellow lines on Monument Avenu... (Sep '13) Oct '13 mom 8
News Did you notice? (Sep '13) Oct '13 mom 6

Old Bennington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Old Bennington Mortgages