No title

There are 25 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 2, 2009, titled No title. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Laws mandating stores only sell cigarettes that are slow-burning and fire-safe went into effect in five states on New Year's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Middle Village, NY

#1 Jan 2, 2009
I think this is a good idea. Cigarettes aren't cheap. I would think most smokers would be glad not to waste an extra puff or two by having the thing go out if left idle....

“SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A JOKE ”

Since: Dec 08

tobacco road

#2 Jan 2, 2009
fire safe cigs are not fire safe,the lit coal falls off more often than regular cigs.Thats a fact. those lit coals can casue many many fires alone.
Christine

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Jan 2, 2009
The fire safe cigarettes are very very bad. They cause smokers to inhale more deeply and they taste disgusting. I've been buying all of my cigs out of state to escape the over taxation without representation and these horrible cigarettes. I'm really sick of the nanny state that my country, my state and the worst of all - my city has become.

We would have been MUCH better off without the smoking ban and the crooked, thieveing governor who signed it into effect. While he was stealing from me and you, he was telling private business owners what they could do on their own property.

These fire safe cigs and all of the overtaxation is justified by the public witch hunt of tobacco users and public health hysteria about the misconception of health concerns. The majority of lung cancer occurs in nonsmokers. It's called pollution but they won't tax that because our politicians are in bed with the industries they are supposed to regulate.

Nanny laws thrive on public ignorance and NIMBY minds. They are destroying our freedom that is protected by the constitution of the United States.
Nichibei

Yokosuka, Japan

#4 Jan 2, 2009
According to the coalition, states that already had implemented fire-safe cigarette laws are New York, Vermont, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Utah, Alaska, Rhode Island and Minnesota, as well as the District of Columbia.

Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, Washington, Louisiana, Hawaii and Wisconsin have laws that take effect this year, according to the coalition's Web site. Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina have laws that will take effect in 2010.
Some states such as Texas are giving retailers a grace period to sell off their old inventory.

I count 33 states. I'm not a smoker. Do smokers have rights? "They cause smokers to inhale more deeply and they taste disgusting." More disgusting is eating dinner in a restaurant while choking on cigarette smoke. It seems that all of these states certainly discussed the pros and cons of legislation. Where is Pennsylvania?
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Jan 2, 2009
If it were not for the tax revenue and settlement payments that cigarettes provide to the states, I would say stop making and selling these things.

Since smokers are propping up my state, I say that we raise the taxes on cigarettes and take advantage of the addictive qualities that cigarettes offer.
Confused

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Jan 2, 2009
I never could never understand why, if cigarettes are so bad for the individual and all those around that individual, that it is not banned entirely.-- Oh wait! It is a great source of taxes. Who, but those filthy smokers pay for the tax? No one could possibly complain about cigarette taxes. And, what would politicians do without the campaign contributions of tobacco farmers (still subsidized?) and cigarette makers...

Cigarettes are those things people love to hate and smokers are even worse - the pariahs of everything.
Public Outrage

La Grange, IL

#8 Jan 2, 2009
Wow, 800 die from smoking related fires while roughly 400,000 die from smoking. What's wrong with this picture?
John

Barrington, IL

#10 Jan 2, 2009
THESE SMOKES ARE GOOD TO BE SAFE, BUT SMOKING THESE REALLY SUCK!
mr stretch

United States

#11 Jan 2, 2009
Any idiot who gets into bed while smoking a cigarette deserves to burn. Leave the cigarettes alone & educate these morons. I am reminded of a line from the movie "Cool Hand Luke". Upon arriving at the prison, Luke is told by the guards "any man caught smoking in the supine (on your back) position spends a night in the hot box!".
Yul Brynner

Barrington, IL

#12 Jan 2, 2009
Nichibei wrote:
According to the coalition, states that already had implemented fire-safe cigarette laws are New York, Vermont, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Utah, Alaska, Rhode Island and Minnesota, as well as the District of Columbia.
Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, Washington, Louisiana, Hawaii and Wisconsin have laws that take effect this year, according to the coalition's Web site. Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina have laws that will take effect in 2010.
Some states such as Texas are giving retailers a grace period to sell off their old inventory.
I count 33 states. I'm not a smoker. Do smokers have rights? "They cause smokers to inhale more deeply and they taste disgusting." More disgusting is eating dinner in a restaurant while choking on cigarette smoke. It seems that all of these states certainly discussed the pros and cons of legislation. Where is Pennsylvania?
So, these "safe" cigarettes aren't really safe because smokers inhale more deeply and that kills them sooner? Maybe smokers shouldn't inhale at all?
CDC

La Grange, IL

#13 Jan 2, 2009
Public Outrage wrote:
Wow, 800 die from smoking related fires while roughly 400,000 die from smoking. What's wrong with this picture?
The Center for Disease Control's estimate is closer to 440,000 per year in the US.

tobacco road

#14 Jan 2, 2009
CDC wrote:
<quoted text>
The Center for Disease Control's estimate is closer to 440,000 per year in the US.
just like the supposed 63,000 that die every year from shs/ets exposure.........you guys are a laugh.

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#15 Jan 2, 2009
CDC wrote:
<quoted text>
Please show us the 440,000 death certificates or STFU.
Salsa Shark

Bartlett, IL

#16 Jan 2, 2009
Christine wrote:
The majority of lung cancer occurs in nonsmokers.
Prove that statement or put a cork in it.
pvr

San Diego, CA

#17 Jan 2, 2009
Hmmm, cigarettes that taste bad and don't stay lit. We may be on to something here!
pvr

San Diego, CA

#18 Jan 2, 2009
mr stretch wrote:
"any man caught smoking in the supine (on your back) position spends a night in the hot box!".
"Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box."

"Luke, Luke, don't mess with the man with no eyes!"
Realist in USA

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Jan 2, 2009
pvr wrote:
<quoted text>
"Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box."
"Luke, Luke, don't mess with the man with no eyes!"
That was one fine movie!

tobacco road

#20 Jan 2, 2009
pvr wrote:
Hmmm, cigarettes that taste bad and don't stay lit. We may be on to something here!
Ya its called bootleg cigarettes...

Since: Feb 07

Middle Village, NY

#22 Jan 2, 2009
teh lulz wrote:
<quoted text>
lit coal? lol. it's called a cherry, you noob.
What's a noob?
-DO something about it

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#26 Jan 5, 2009
The "Topix" forum does not seem to allow me to post this link, but, please help to REPEAL THE SO CALLED "FIRE-SAFE" CIGARETTE LAWS -

Simply google: thepetitionsite

Once there, type in:

repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-law s

PLEASE SPREAD THE ACTUAL LINK ON BOARDS OTHER THAN THIS ONE. SO FAR, JUST UNDER A THOUSAND SIGNATURES!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... Jul '16 The Proclaimer 92
Your next President will be TRUMP vote here (Sep '11) Jul '16 Mo Reese 3
Chad Thompson Jun '16 Wondered 1
Vandergrift Music Thread (Apr '15) Jun '16 Musikologist 3
News Donations replace New Kensington toddler's stol... (Jul '09) Apr '16 Richard 2
News Vandergrift resident complains about police (Aug '07) Mar '16 iknowall 7
News Community saddened by officers' actions (Jan '06) Jan '16 Papi 7

Oklahoma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oklahoma Mortgages