We fell for it

There are 23 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from Jun 8, 2009, titled We fell for it. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

We routinely warn individuals not to trust material that flies into their e-mail in-boxes as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
not again

United States

#1 Jun 9, 2009
Here is another one you missed, Obama not for killing our 2nd amendment rights. You missed that one too!
SAY IT AINT SO

United States

#2 Jun 9, 2009
[QUOTE who="in this case, we chose to believe something that we read because it reinforced beliefs that we already possessed [/QUOTE]

Wow, there is an understatement. Maybe some of your reporters can learn from this. Because something is in print, on the internet or otherwise, does not make it a fact. Because someone forms an opinion and says it on a blog, or social networking site, doesn't make it a fact. Go back to the old school of journalism and ethics, where the reporter, editor or publisher verified the facts before printing the story.
Daily Snooze

Langhorne, PA

#3 Jun 10, 2009
With Boscovs filing chapter 11 they need soemthing to fill up that space. Besides we don't care about the truth, we want to be entertained.
Cynic-all

Rainbow City, AL

#4 Jun 10, 2009
Daily Snooze wrote:
With Boscovs filing chapter 11 they need soemthing to fill up that space. Besides we don't care about the truth, we want to be entertained.
Surely you're not suggesting that if it weren't for the Sheriff's sale full-page ads and the Boscov's advertising, the Lebanon Daily News would go under?
think about this

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#5 Jun 10, 2009
Gee, wouldn't it be nice if the Lebanon Daily News folded? Be careful what you wish for. Do you people have any clue what that would do to this community if it lost its only source of local news???

And you clowns wouldn't have a forum like this to complain on.
Don S

AOL

#6 Jun 10, 2009
Congratulations on your mea culpa. At age 66, I cannot recall such a thorough admission of error by any editor. Well done Sir or Madam.

By the way, have you vetted the IPCC and others' claims about global warming? I haven't read your paper before, but if you've been publishing the news releases without checking you have probably mis-led your readers. Do the right thing one more time.

Since: Jun 08

Lebanon, PA

#7 Jun 10, 2009
SAY IT AINT SO wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, there is an understatement. Maybe some of your reporters can learn from this. Because something is in print, on the internet or otherwise, does not make it a fact. Because someone forms an opinion and says it on a blog, or social networking site, doesn't make it a fact. Go back to the old school of journalism and ethics, where the reporter, editor or publisher verified the facts before printing the story.
Too bad the writer of that editorial didn't pay attention to my Guest Opinion piece, "Just the facts? Don't you believe it," published in their paper on 2/10/09.

But what do I know? I've only been publishing magazine and newspaper articles since 1960. Back then we didn't have the Inter-net -- just butterfly nets to snag those crazy enough (or stupid enough) to believe an outrageous story without checking out the facts.
your forgiven

Perkasie, PA

#8 Jun 10, 2009
quite frankly i just wish the new york times would foolow your lead and appologize for there self
your forgiven

Perkasie, PA

#9 Jun 10, 2009
follow sorry
think about THAT

United States

#10 Jun 10, 2009
think about this wrote:
Gee, wouldn't it be nice if the Lebanon Daily News folded? Be careful what you wish for. Do you people have any clue what that would do to this community if it lost its only source of local news???
And you clowns wouldn't have a forum like this to complain on.
How come you can post your opinions all over threads on this forum, but everyone else (part of the group known as "you people") is a "clown", an "idiot", "whiner", "complainer", etc.? You complain and whine an awful lot, too. I'm assuming you live in Lebanon County, since you "know" so much about local issues. If the people of this area are so repugnant to you, you can leave at any time. LOL
think about this

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#11 Jun 11, 2009
I'm sick of all the negative attitudes around here. Lebanon County has a massive inferiority complex for no good reason.

We have wonderful natural resources, impressive history and plenty of potential. We don't have many of the problems that afflict other areas.

The problem is too many people don't want anything to change. If you don't change, you can't improve. Not all change is painless. We could use more development, i.e. jobs.

I'm not a negative person, but I will criticize those who are and those who impede progress.

So much of the complaints/whining on these forums is nonsense, such as people saying they prefer the old market to the new market. That's like saying Connie Mack Stadium was nicer than Citizens Bank Ballpark.
Captain Stealth

United States

#12 Jun 11, 2009
Ha ha, dumba$$e$. All their readers should remember this for the next time this site gets the proverbial 'panties in a bunch'. Couldn't even take 10 minutes to verify an email they were forwarded. What a bunch of clowns!

Since: Oct 08

Lebanon, PA

#13 Jun 11, 2009
I hope LDN stay's around for a long time because as of right now we have no other alternative for local news.
if not mistaken

Rossville, GA

#14 Jun 11, 2009
meyerstown herald! just as trustworthy if not more.

you complain on one hand about boro council, but then praise the same LDN that basically has uncovered NOTHING about the proposal you have jumped at hating!

rational? hardly.

Lebanon, PA

#15 Jun 11, 2009
If it wasn't for LDN no one would have heard about H&K's development plans. Get real.

Lebanon, PA

#16 Jun 11, 2009
By the way they reported they were not allowed to cover the proposal on multiple occasions. Media was not allowed to attend the meetings. I guess you missed that article. So much for the Myerstown Herald covery everything.

Lebanon, PA

#17 Jun 11, 2009
*covering
think about THAT

Roxbury, PA

#18 Jun 11, 2009
think about this wrote:
I'm sick of all the negative attitudes around here. Lebanon County has a massive inferiority complex for no good reason.
We have wonderful natural resources, impressive history and plenty of potential. We don't have many of the problems that afflict other areas.
The problem is too many people don't want anything to change. If you don't change, you can't improve. Not all change is painless. We could use more development, i.e. jobs.
I'm not a negative person, but I will criticize those who are and those who impede progress.
So much of the complaints/whining on these forums is nonsense, such as people saying they prefer the old market to the new market. That's like saying Connie Mack Stadium was nicer than Citizens Bank Ballpark.
FYI: Name-calling doesn't further your arguments or show your intelligence.
think about THAT

Roxbury, PA

#19 Jun 11, 2009
think about this wrote:
One more thing- if we allow all of these changes, the area will all know and love will cease to exist. It will become something else.
think about this

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#20 Jun 11, 2009
something else could be something better

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... Jul '16 The Proclaimer 92
Your next President will be TRUMP vote here (Sep '11) Jul '16 Mo Reese 3
Chad Thompson Jun '16 Wondered 1
Vandergrift Music Thread (Apr '15) Jun '16 Musikologist 3
News Donations replace New Kensington toddler's stol... (Jul '09) Apr '16 Richard 2
News Vandergrift resident complains about police (Aug '07) Mar '16 iknowall 7
News Community saddened by officers' actions (Jan '06) Jan '16 Papi 7

Oklahoma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oklahoma Mortgages