New laws in 5 states call for fire-sa...

New laws in 5 states call for fire-safe cigarettes

There are 34 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jan 2, 2009, titled New laws in 5 states call for fire-safe cigarettes. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Laws mandating stores only sell cigarettes that are slow-burning and fire-safe went into effect in five states on New Year's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wally

New Milford, CT

#1 Jan 2, 2009
Does this mean that the problem of burning to death is greater than that of dying from lung cancer or COPD? It is probably cheaper in the long run.
Living in Margaritaville

Philippines

#2 Jan 2, 2009
Another law to bilk the companies for billions. It's not the maker's stupid.......... it's the stupid's stupid!
Nemesys

Danbury, CT

#4 Jan 2, 2009
According to the CDC, smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths. More people died each year from fires caused by tobacco products than US soldiers killed in Iraq, even during the height of the fighting. Smokers usually kill innocent people in the same house, of course, and smoking is the #1 cause of fires in hospitals, even though it's outlawed.

The laws make sense. Let tobacco addicts pay more to fund it.
one who bikes

New York, NY

#6 Jan 2, 2009
Cigarettes have additives that continue allow the device to burn until the "tobacco" is consumed.

This produces the fire potential of the discarded butt.

Many home & construction fires are caused by this deadly combination.

While helping the sales of the self consuming, habit forming devices, cigarettes can kill smokers, non-smokers & responders.

Smokers have provided profits & taxes for a long time with many benefits to the manufactures and States despite the cost passed on to the people.
chapmantown pimp

Rancho Cordova, CA

#7 Jan 2, 2009
hahhaha how stupid!!!!
YOUCANDOSOMETHIN G

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#8 Jan 5, 2009
"Topix" won't allow the link, but google: thepetitionsite -once you're there, simply type in: repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-law s

It's a petition to repeal the (so called) "Fire-Safe" cigarette laws. Put the real link on other boards.
alfa wolf

San Rafael, CA

#9 Jan 6, 2009
What the heII is a "fire safe cigarette?"
simply

Manchester, MD

#10 Jan 6, 2009
...and now they should make alcohol free alcohol mandatory so I don't have to worry about being killed by a drunk driver. This is crap.
Friend of a Friend

Middlefield, CT

#11 Jan 6, 2009
Well, let's see.
Natural tobacco doesn't burn very well.
(It's kinda 'damp'.)
So we'll add chemicals to it so that it burns faster... stays lit even when you aren't drawing on it. Of course, those incendiary chemicals are probably not good for you but... we sell more cigarettes, that way.
Pinch your butt

Homosassa, FL

#12 Jan 6, 2009
But Alexander said customers' response hasn't been positive.
"Our customers say they are harder to smoke and the taste isn't the same," Alexander said.

A new study has been published that states additives in FOOD have greatly increased lung cancer. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. When someone passes me while I am smoking, and coughs, I'll giggle and send them to the nearest hamburger joint. Love it!!!
a little wisdom please

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#13 Jan 7, 2009
Please google: the petition site repeal fire safe cigarette laws

It's a petition that can help with this. Please sign it, and spread it. Thanks.
sam

Brunswick, ME

#14 Jan 7, 2009
A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer
sam

Brunswick, ME

#15 Jan 7, 2009
Apologists for the profession contend that lawyers are as honest as other men, but that is not very encouraging
Living in Margaritaville

Philippines

#16 Jan 9, 2009
alfa wolf wrote:
What the heII is a "fire safe cigarette?"
An all new "lawsuit" to hit the courts right after they make em'.........
H-D RIDER

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Jan 11, 2009
Fire safe cigarettes...They still kill you!
Rocky The Squirell

Watsonville, CA

#18 Jan 11, 2009
What? My joint never goes out.
Gary

Burlington, VT

#19 Jan 11, 2009
Rocky The Squirell wrote:
What? My joint never goes out.
Agreed! Legalize it, no-one ever leaves a joint burning un-attended.
Huh

York, PA

#20 Jan 11, 2009
a little wisdom please wrote:
Please google: the petition site repeal fire safe cigarette laws
It's a petition that can help with this. Please sign it, and spread it. Thanks.
So glad I quit many years ago. These are probably more expensive than the others. Maybe it will save you money because you will save your cigs they will last longer. On the other hand the Government is still getting into citizens private business. I hate the smell of smoke and hate that it blows in my face from a smoker but I think it is a shame the government does not acknowledge that smoking is someone else's right in a smoking area. These fire-safe cigs are just another governmental control.
Huh

York, PA

#21 Jan 11, 2009
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! Legalize it, no-one ever leaves a joint burning un-attended.
Now these smokes are good for ya. Legalize is right.
Ca mu na t Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

#22 Jan 11, 2009
Whats next flameless matches?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Retired priest accused of forcing boy to perfor... Aug '17 Truther 3
News Lyle Hall DeVilling (Dec '07) Jun '17 D Johnson 2
News Vandergrift man charged with snapping shower ph... (Sep '09) Jun '17 Sharon McKnight 12
Clean up in North Apollo Apr '17 Nieghbor14 1
Vandergrift Music Thread (Apr '15) Mar '17 Musikologist 4
House fire on Sugar Hollow Road in Apollo (Feb '17) Feb '17 Amy Renee 1
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... (Jun '16) Jul '16 The Proclaimer 91

Oklahoma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oklahoma Mortgages