Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Live...

Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time

There are 723 comments on the PRWeb story from May 23, 2008, titled Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time . In it, PRWeb reports that:

The trend of crime lab mistakes, judicial errors, and incorrect eyewitness accounts is spreading nationwide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

First Prev
of 37
Next Last
Deborah

United States

#1 Jun 25, 2008
I am personally offended by the one-sided article posted here. Ms. Smith had full access too and support of the legal system during her extended trial. She was convicted based on the sheer amount of evidence showing she knowingly allowed or participated in the continued abuse of her birth-daughter. I find it disconcerning Raye Dawn Smith's case is referenced in any article concerning wrongful convictions.

Please do understand the majority of the folks within the State of Oklahoma who are familiar with this terrible case of child abuse believe justice was served. Please also note that many find it hard that neither adults who where the ONLY adults around Kelsey at the time of her death were not convicted of murder. Raye Dawn Smith was convicted by a jury of her peers, her appeal was summarily turned down, and she is incarcerated in an Oklahoma prison.

When I think of this case I always go back to the pre-sentencing report which specifically stated two points which honestly made my blood turn cold:

1: Raye Dawn Smith accepts no responsibility for her action or for the abuse Kelsey suffered, and
2. Raye Dawn Smith is and would continue to be a threat to any child in her care.
Frustrated with judicial

United States

#2 Jun 27, 2008
i hear what you are saying about raye dawn smith, i agree, but i do belive that the courts make mistakes, especially lawyers. How does one get justice when one was convicteded without proving a crime, and going by false past record, which can be proven and your state appointed attorney is on cocaine, and still no onw will listen, they think retarted...lock em up

Since: Jun 08

United States

#3 Jun 30, 2008
Deborah wrote:
I am personally offended by the one-sided article posted here. Ms. Smith had full access too and support of the legal system during her extended trial. She was convicted based on the sheer amount of evidence showing she knowingly allowed or participated in the continued abuse of her birth-daughter. I find it disconcerning Raye Dawn Smith's case is referenced in any article concerning wrongful convictions.
Please do understand the majority of the folks within the State of Oklahoma who are familiar with this terrible case of child abuse believe justice was served. Please also note that many find it hard that neither adults who where the ONLY adults around Kelsey at the time of her death were not convicted of murder. Raye Dawn Smith was convicted by a jury of her peers, her appeal was summarily turned down, and she is incarcerated in an Oklahoma prison.
When I think of this case I always go back to the pre-sentencing report which specifically stated two points which honestly made my blood turn cold:
1: Raye Dawn Smith accepts no responsibility for her action or for the abuse Kelsey suffered, and
2. Raye Dawn Smith is and would continue to be a threat to any child in her care.
There is no way you can speak for the "majority of the people". How lame is that???? She deserves a fair trial just like everyone else.
RayeIsGuilty

Tahlequah, OK

#4 Jul 1, 2008
She recieved a fair trial and I believe she will not be granted another trial. Although, I hope she is. If you think her 1st trial wasn't fair, let her have another and let them bring out ALL the evidence that Smothermon didnt use the 1st time. Let the jury hear about the OCCY report and the OSBI transcripts and all the incriminating statements Raye Dawn made during her interview then she will get a FAIR trial and she will be sentenced to LIFE In prison like she almost was last time!
RestInPeaceKelse y

United States

#5 Jul 5, 2008
What I would like to see is someone convicted of Kelsey's murder! I do not believe that Raye murdered this child, but I do believe she did not act appropriately when her child was being hurt by the "unknown" perpetrator. I believe she is guilty of enabling the abuse to a degree. How about convicting someone with Kelsey's murder, after all she was murdered and sexually abused according to the autopsy report performed by the doctor who was hired by the DA!!
RayeIsNotGuilty

United States

#6 Jul 5, 2008
Raye Dawn DID NOT recieve a fair trial in my opinion. Would you call sleeping jurors, supressed evidence, media overload (before the trial), gag orders being ignored, and down right LIES fair? UH, no. Everyone knows there were a few select meekerites that pushed these false and disturbing inaccuracies against her!

Raye, I hope you keep faith and stay strong!
Kelsey Is The Only Victim

United States

#7 Aug 13, 2008
I think Raye got a fair trial. Raye and her mother admitted they were watching Mike Porter around Kelsey. I would have left right then. Raye had her chance to protect Kelsey and she failed. Rd supporters act like she has never done anything wrong. I have two daughters and you know where the bruises come from.

Raye or her supporters should have the pleasure of paying for another trial, IF she gets one. All the expenses. I still think she would be found guilty no matter where the trial is but if RD supporters are so convinced that RD is innocent they should pay the cost (not taxpayers.)

RD supporters are so busy stating all their so called facts and threatening people on the web that don't have their opinion, let them pay for the new trial.

I wonder how many RD supporters would honestly leave their children with RD if she was not in prison. Of course they will get on here and say they would but how many people really would. I really find it strange that some RD supporters say they fight for child abuse awareness yet they find time so much time to defend RD, who is convicted of enabling child abuse.
Angel

United States

#8 Apr 5, 2009
How was she to know when no one else knew? she trusted a man-everyone trusted him.there wasnt any reason not to.kelsey was abused in the care of her grandmother kathie-she deteriorated and lost hair.look at the photos and the way kelsey was with her mom& vice versa. i dont believe everything i read-either should u-go with your gut.at first i thot she was guilty..ive spent almost a week reading articles and watching the videos.my heart and the hearts of alot of people are acheing for kelsey loss and could you imagine what raye is going thru??put yourself in her shoes.there is NO way she knew that he was the one who was doin this-she probably thot it was grandma kathie.but didnt point fingers bcuz she wasnt certain-no one was-not even the professionals knew. Mikes own child said he(mike) had to him it was a secret bcuz he saw mike physically abuse her. Reguarless R.I.P Kelsey-I believe your momma i can see it in your eyes the way you two looked at each other.the joy-pride-and the genuine love! <3
travestyofjustic e

Bethany, OK

#9 Jun 7, 2009
I think Mike Porter had absolutely nothing to do with the abuse and death of Kelsy. RD loved herself only, her actions and words prove that. If anyone was wrongfully prosecuted, it was Michael. Of course we all know that Smotherman really didn't even want to charge RD, and was very sympathetic. He didn't try too hard, got a conviction anyway. Surprise, Surprise!!! I'm sure RD would have received life or the death penalty had all the evidence been brought out!
AMO

Portland, OR

#10 Sep 21, 2009
MP took a plea for 30 years! He did not do this for no reason unless he is insane.

RDS was tried by a jury and convicted. The retrial is nothing but a waste of tax payers money. It is bad enough that we have to pay to fed shelter and cloth her.

I guess "all the usual" bloggers" will be taking over this thread as soon as the sun rises but I thought I would get my two cents in first.

I do not thin it is possible that RDS could not have know of the abuse assumming she is not retarded or blind and was changing diapers and bathing her baby regularly. She knew there was abuse it just did not occur to her that her loser husband would manage to actually kill the baby.

From the bigger picture, it seems that no one in either family is competent enough to care for a gold fish much less a baby. They all spend lots of time blogging,finger pointing and also litigating. Sweet U Tube productions aside, to bad none of them where so diligent when the baby was still alive.

Since: Jun 09

Bethany, OK

#11 Sep 21, 2009
AMO wrote:
MP took a plea for 30 years! He did not do this for no reason unless he is insane.
RDS was tried by a jury and convicted. The retrial is nothing but a waste of tax payers money. It is bad enough that we have to pay to fed shelter and cloth her.
I guess "all the usual" bloggers" will be taking over this thread as soon as the sun rises but I thought I would get my two cents in first.
I do not thin it is possible that RDS could not have know of the abuse assumming she is not retarded or blind and was changing diapers and bathing her baby regularly. She knew there was abuse it just did not occur to her that her loser husband would manage to actually kill the baby.
From the bigger picture, it seems that no one in either family is competent enough to care for a gold fish much less a baby. They all spend lots of time blogging,finger pointing and also litigating. Sweet U Tube productions aside, to bad none of them where so diligent when the baby was still alive.
Michael Porter was probably being threatened with the death penalty if HE took it to trial. Smothermon just wanted a conviction....a plea of guilty with 30 years sure sounded better than the death penalty. Unfortunately, Smothermon had No Choice but to prosecute Raye Dawn after the whole community came down on him. He certainly didn't want too, and Raye Dawn Was found Guilty by a group of her peers! Too bad she didn't get the death penalty!

Since: Jun 09

Bethany, OK

#12 Sep 21, 2009
AMO wrote:
MP took a plea for 30 years! He did not do this for no reason unless he is insane.
RDS was tried by a jury and convicted. The retrial is nothing but a waste of tax payers money. It is bad enough that we have to pay to fed shelter and cloth her.
I guess "all the usual" bloggers" will be taking over this thread as soon as the sun rises but I thought I would get my two cents in first.
I do not thin it is possible that RDS could not have know of the abuse assumming she is not retarded or blind and was changing diapers and bathing her baby regularly. She knew there was abuse it just did not occur to her that her loser husband would manage to actually kill the baby.
From the bigger picture, it seems that no one in either family is competent enough to care for a gold fish much less a baby. They all spend lots of time blogging,finger pointing and also litigating. Sweet U Tube productions aside, to bad none of them where so diligent when the baby was still alive.
By the way......Did you happen to notice that nobody has posted since 6/9/09? I don't think this site is visited much anymore.
Shonya Kay

Fort Worth, TX

#14 Sep 21, 2009
annie58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Porter was probably being threatened with the death penalty if HE took it to trial. Smothermon just wanted a conviction....a plea of guilty with 30 years sure sounded better than the death penalty. Unfortunately, Smothermon had No Choice but to prosecute Raye Dawn after the whole community came down on him. He certainly didn't want too, and Raye Dawn Was found Guilty by a group of her peers! Too bad she didn't get the death penalty!
Regardless if Smothermon wanted to charge her or not, he HAD to.

I'll explain....

After Kelsey's murder, and after Porter was charged, the OSBI gave Richard Smothermon an arrest affidavit for Raye Dawn Smith.

This proves that OSBI thought there was plenty of evidence against Raye to warrant her arrest.

That arrest affidavit sat on Smothermon's desk for MONTHS.

Then, a multi-county grand Jury hearing was held in the beginning of 2006, which brought out damning evidence against Raye and that is when Richard Smothermon filed two charges against Raye Dawn Smith, "Enabling Child Abuse", and "Child Neglect."

Since: Jun 09

Bethany, OK

#15 Sep 21, 2009
Shonya Kay wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless if Smothermon wanted to charge her or not, he HAD to.
I'll explain....
After Kelsey's murder, and after Porter was charged, the OSBI gave Richard Smothermon an arrest affidavit for Raye Dawn Smith.
This proves that OSBI thought there was plenty of evidence against Raye to warrant her arrest.
That arrest affidavit sat on Smothermon's desk for MONTHS.
Then, a multi-county grand Jury hearing was held in the beginning of 2006, which brought out damning evidence against Raye and that is when Richard Smothermon filed two charges against Raye Dawn Smith, "Enabling Child Abuse", and "Child Neglect."
That is the Shame of it..Smothermon was basically forced into filing charges against Raye Dawn. Makes me wonder what kind of prosecutor he is. He sounds more like a defense attorney to me. Oh Yea, that's what he was before he became D.A. of Pott. County.
AMO

Portland, OR

#16 Sep 21, 2009
The reason I said his pleas indicates GUILT is because the post directly above mine said MP was basically framed! I think he is completly guilty as her RDS.

...and I chose this very old thread to prove my point...like I said as soon as one negative comment appears all the defenders are ready to blog in RDS defense almost as soon as they do not like what they read. The truth hurts and though I do not know RDS I would bet actual money that a mental health work up would show she is a narssistic sociopath. I would suggest that those who know her Google the disorder and see if you recognize the behaviors. But I have read some crazy ass explainations for everything including the medical examiners report.

This is a big mess and RDS should stay in Prison for her whole term as she richly deserves it. As for the baby killer, his fellow inmates have 30 years and will any luck they take care of him. Justice comes in many forms.

Since: Jun 09

Bethany, OK

#17 Sep 21, 2009
I most certainly am not defending Raye Dawn! I personally think she should have been charged with murder! You are not alone in your thinking that RD is a narcissistic sociopath. Kelsey was right at the age to start really needing attention, and RD was too involved with herself to mess with her. When I heard that RD threw Kelsey into the backseat, it told the story. Raye Dawn did not want to be bothered by her daughter.
Where I disagree is about MP, I don't think he did anything to hurt Kelsey, he is more than likely guilty of failure to protect, as I am sure he saw how RD was with Kelsey. You see it, but you don't want to believe it!
I was, and am pretty disgusted with the DA in Shawnee for how he handled the case. It was obvious he didn't want to prosecute RD for anything. I wonder if they went to same school or something???
KelseysVoice

Fair Lawn, NJ

#18 Sep 21, 2009
Angel wrote:
How was she to know when no one else knew? she trusted a man-everyone trusted him.there wasnt any reason not to.kelsey was abused in the care of her grandmother kathie-she deteriorated and lost hair.look at the photos and the way kelsey was with her mom& vice versa. i dont believe everything i read-either should u-go with your gut.at first i thot she was guilty..ive spent almost a week reading articles and watching the videos.my heart and the hearts of alot of people are acheing for kelsey loss and could you imagine what raye is going thru??put yourself in her shoes.there is NO way she knew that he was the one who was doin this-she probably thot it was grandma kathie.but didnt point fingers bcuz she wasnt certain-no one was-not even the professionals knew. Mikes own child said he(mike) had to him it was a secret bcuz he saw mike physically abuse her. Reguarless R.I.P Kelsey-I believe your momma i can see it in your eyes the way you two looked at each other.the joy-pride-and the genuine love! <3
Kelsey's first reactions to Porter were negative. What did Raye do? She got angry. The first injury occured in January of 2005, and custody was transferred to Kathie Briggs. The DHS ordered that Kelsey was to be kept from Porter, if Raye wanted unsupervised visits. What did Raye do? She violated the order repeatedly, and married him. Kelsey told her mother that Mike hurt her head. What did Raye do? She laughed. The baby's body had twenty-nine bruises on it, when she died. What did Raye say? "I didn't see them." How do you miss TWENTY-NINE bruises. Guess what? RAYE KNEW.
KelseysVoice

Fair Lawn, NJ

#19 Sep 21, 2009
Frustrated with judicial wrote:
i hear what you are saying about raye dawn smith, i agree, but i do belive that the courts make mistakes, especially lawyers. How does one get justice when one was convicteded without proving a crime, and going by false past record, which can be proven and your state appointed attorney is on cocaine, and still no onw will listen, they think retarted...lock em up
I can give you an avalanche of proof. Will that help?
interesting

United States

#20 Sep 22, 2009
This story was originally posted by Truthseeker of FKM. Did anyone else notice that the story on this thread has been changed, the link doesn't work, and the majority of the previous posts are gone?
AMO

Ridgefield, WA

#21 Sep 22, 2009
google RDS and TOPIX for a newer thread. Same old crap just a different thread.

On the "official" RDS website you can only say "nice" things about this convicted POS. The UTUBE sited does not allow comments at all. So much for the whole story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 37
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Pers... (Jul '08) 17 hr Laura Banedetti 8,979
News City says no parking in the yard (Aug '08) 19 hr Nickfuckthecopsdi... 28
News TV episode that questions guilt of fired OKC po... 23 hr twohebrewchildren 1
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! 23 hr Ok delivery 1
News Nearly $10 million to be spent 'rehabilitating ... Wed bridgeovernowater 3
News Police Investigating Murder-Suicide In SW Okc Wed janiesgotagun 1
Ksi Bickerstaff: Stuck Up Prude Wed Jamie Dundee 25

Oklahoma City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oklahoma City Mortgages