'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2395 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
hmmmmm seems like most every Christian I know celebrates halloween. I can't say the same for atheists when it comes to Christmas. Actually thats the time of year they start crying the most.
Every Athiest I know except for two celebrate christmas...there is nothing wrong with that right?

Location hidden

#2396 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
angel you are a typical atheist. You will never accept anything that you don't agree with. Every Christian I've ever known celebrates halloween. Churches even host festivities for the kids in an effort to keep everyone safe from walking the streets, etc. Do atheists go out of their way to have things for the kids on halloween? I've never heard of it.
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity? You must be out of your mind. Its called "christ" mas for a reason. The whole idea of Christmas is to celebrate Christ' birth. You can live in lalaland if you like but the the rest of the country lives in reality.
Christmas was not considered a Christian holiday until the 9 century.

Location hidden

#2397 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I'm not talking bout you decorating your house angel. I'm talking about atheists groups having something for the kids. I've personally never heard of it happening.

And I've heard all the bs before about how Christmas is a pagan holiday. Not only do you distort the bible but holidays as well. Everyone knows Christ wasn't born on December 25, its simply a day set aside to celebrate his birth. You can turn your own personal holiday into anything you want, but most of America will be celebrating the birth of Christ.
They are called normal non-believers...most people don't advertise what they do for kids on Halloween because for most people it's common sense. Churches have trick or trunks or other activities, but I really see no reason why. Families can dress their children up an take them to a Halloween party anywhere. Do you think the churches are special in this aspect as well lol.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2398 Oct 9, 2013
churches just actually do more for people, including kids, than atheists do. I've never heard of an atheist group doing anything.

so you are still living in the 8th century?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2399 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
churches just actually do more for people, including kids, than atheists do. I've never heard of an atheist group doing anything.
I have. A local group has weekly meetings just for atheist families with kids.

Just because **you** live in a secluded basement, doesn't mean everyone else does.

As for what churches do? Well... I could point out that child abuse is rampant among churches, but that'd be .... redundant?

Location hidden

#2400 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:

so you are still living in the 8th century?
Lol omg...you are impossible.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#2401 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
like I said terry the moron........celebrate however you like. Better yet, don't. You honestly don't even deserve it. The rest of us, the sane people, will celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior. You, on the other hand, will probably spend it crying over 10 commandment displays and manger scenes.
And you have the nerve to call yourself a Christian. Are all the Christians in your congregation like you, or does the crowd part when you walk thru them?

It is people like you that give Christians a bad name. I hope I'm not in line behind you on Judgment Day, because I'm afraid it is going to be a long wait.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2402 Oct 10, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>And you have the nerve to call yourself a Christian. Are all the Christians in your congregation like you, or does the crowd part when you walk thru them?
It is people like you that give Christians a bad name. I hope I'm not in line behind you on Judgment Day, because I'm afraid it is going to be a long wait.
They already have bad name, that's what happens when you openly lie about god being real and build buildings to collect the liars and amplify their lies to the wider community.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2403 Oct 10, 2013
so what quit being a little baby. Atheists a taste of their own hateful medicine.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#2404 Oct 10, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>And you have the nerve to call yourself a Christian. Are all the Christians in your congregation like you, or does the crowd part when you walk thru them?
I have to admit, Anti really doesn't appear to be a Christian. He knows very little of the teachings of Jesus. He has admitted that his hobbies include trying to make fun of and degrading people with a different view as he. He spends most of his time on an atheist forum.He wont admit to being any particular denomination. Also, I dont see how he is bright eyed and bushy tailed on Sunday morning for church when most of his late Saturday nights are spent on here.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2405 Oct 10, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas was not considered a Christian holiday until the 9 century.
In 17th Century New England, it was a criminal offense to celebrate christmas from 1659 to 1680. Even after that, christmas was not widely celebrated until it was made a federal holiday in 1870. Until then, Boston public schools were open on the day, as were almost all shops and offices.

In puritan England, after the execution of Charles I in 1647, celebration of christmas was outlawed as well, and remained so until the restoration.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2406 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
so what quit being a little baby. Atheists a taste of their own hateful medicine.
What?

You don't like the taste of reality?

Is that it?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2407 Oct 10, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
In 17th Century New England, it was a criminal offense to celebrate christmas from 1659 to 1680. Even after that, christmas was not widely celebrated until it was made a federal holiday in 1870. Until then, Boston public schools were open on the day, as were almost all shops and offices.

In puritan England, after the execution of Charles I in 1647, celebration of christmas was outlawed as well, and remained so until the restoration.
Once again, near-total ignorance of actual history bites a True Believerô on his overstuffed backside.

:)
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2408 Oct 10, 2013
angel it makes me laugh when I give you a dose of your own hateful medicine. Its okay for atheists to be mean and hateful? Apparently in your eyes

Dallas, TX

#2409 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
angel it makes me laugh when I give you a dose of your own hateful medicine. Its okay for atheists to be mean and hateful? Apparently in your eyes
What did I say that wasnt true?

One example.

Just one.

Come on if I was just being hateful instead of speaking fact it should be easy to call me out.

Dallas, TX

#2410 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Hateful would be:

You have refused to tell us whether you live in your mom's basement or your mom's attic.

I vote basement.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2411 Oct 10, 2013
angel shouldn't you be having another atheist meeting soon? With the Christmas season coming up you have to start planning all your protests and latest, catchy billboards.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2412 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
angel shouldn't you be having another atheist meeting soon? With the Christmas season coming up you have to start planning all your protests and latest, catchy billboards.
If you hadent lied about god in he first place, you would not be so bitter towards atheists who exposed your religious lies so easily with facts.

Garland, TX

#2413 Oct 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Yeah its tomorrow, were cleaning up another park. What did you do at church?

As I have said before I like Christmas. I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday but its a great time of the year.

Keep government and religion separate is all I ask.

Was I right about the basement?

Location hidden

#2414 Oct 10, 2013
Anti--shouldn't you be going to church soon so that you can talk about god instead of argue about god?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latest on severe weather: Airport terminal evac... 4 hr Okla USA electric... 1
News Emergency Crews Respond To Flooding and Damage ... 4 hr Okla USA electric... 1
News Latest on severe weather: Dozens of Oklahoma ho... 4 hr Okla USA electric... 1
News Latest on severe weather: Tornado hits zoo in O... 4 hr electric storm too 1
News Oklahoma City to host Republican presidential c... 12 hr meme 1
Do men wear women's panties (Jan '12) Tue jrb25 81
Timothy McVeigh was in Stuart, Florida. (May '14) May 4 breakawayrepublic 15
More from around the web

Oklahoma City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]