Should The Legislature Be Exempt From...

Should The Legislature Be Exempt From Open Records, Meeting Acts?

There are 9 comments on the Oklahoma Impact Team story from Feb 5, 2013, titled Should The Legislature Be Exempt From Open Records, Meeting Acts?. In it, Oklahoma Impact Team reports that:

When the Legislature passed the Open Records Act, it exempted itself. The law only requires the Legislature to release records involving how it spends money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oklahoma Impact Team.

Gary

Tulsa, OK

#1 Feb 25, 2013
Compare Nebraska's 49 Member legislature with Oklahoma's 149 member legislature. Are conditions in Nebraska better, worse, or about the same.? Do we really need 149 and all their EAs to abuse their work hours and pay?
Your investigators have just scratched the service of Legislative corruption.. We have one of the most expensive and inefficient legislatures in the country and your EZ investigation hopefully is just the beginning to eliminating a bunch of dead legislative weight.
hermit

Tulsa, OK

#3 Feb 26, 2013
Former state Sen. Jim E. Lane must face trial on allegations that he fraudulently collected $210,287 in state pay and travel expenses as a "ghost" employee of the Oklahoma Health Department.

http://newsok.com/ex-state-senator-faces-ghos...

http://prowlingowl.com/comments/okscandals.cf...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 27, 2013
Records of what our legislators are doing on our dime has to be open to the public.
Packing Heat

Vinita, OK

#5 Feb 27, 2013
hermit wrote:
Former state Sen. Jim E. Lane must face trial on allegations that he fraudulently collected $210,287 in state pay and travel expenses as a "ghost" employee of the Oklahoma Health Department.
http://newsok.com/ex-state-senator-faces-ghos...
http://prowlingowl.com/comments/okscandals.cf...


Former state Senate Majority Leader Jim E. Lane, a typical Democrat, pleaded guilty to conspiring to defraud the state while employed by the Oklahoma Health Department.
Under the negotiated plea agreement, Lane was sentenced to five years in prison and pay the state $105,000 in restitution and spend five more years on probation after leaving prison.

He forfeited his state pension, including the portion of his pension earned while he was a legislator. Lane was among 14 employees indicted by a state grand jury that investigated "ghost" employment at the state agency. "Ghost" was described as employee who was on the payroll but did no actual work. His wife, Rebecca Lane, 47, was still awaiting trial on a separate charge accusing her of collecting state pay for work she didn't do. Lane admitted in his guilty plea to a felony charge he submitted false travel claims.

"I filed travel claims with the state of Oklahoma between 1997 and 2000," The claims were all false. I knew claims should be accurate and truthful" Lane wrote the judge.
In addition to the $105,000 in restitution, the state saved much more than that by not having to pay his pension, the attorney general said. Lane declined comment as he left the courtroom.

The plea agreement eliminated the need for what was expected to be a costly trial. Among the prosecution witnesses was a mistress, who said she took trips with Lane. A trial would have been a political embarrassment because Lane had close relationships with Democrat lawmakers. Edmondson said none of the lawmakers on Lane's witness list bothered to call him in an attempt to intervene on Lane's behalf.
Packing Heat

Vinita, OK

#6 Feb 27, 2013
WMCOL wrote:
Records of what our legislators are doing on our dime has to be open to the public.


You sir are a liar. Either you cannot read or comprehend or very well both!
You can go to nearly any board, commission, city, county, school district, and nearly all governmental bodies to inspect almost every record, including documents, emails, notes, videos, calendars and receipts. But, not the Oklahoma Legislature.

"It's really frustrating for people," said Joey Senat, Associate Professor, OSU School of Journalism.

When the Legislature passed the Open Records Act, it exempted itself. The law only requires the Legislature to release records involving how it spends money.

http://www.newson6.com/story/12794489/should-...

Corruption and criminal acts are very well hidden in most cases and especially Democrats such as the Purple Lip Kenyan president in the White House.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Feb 27, 2013
You sir are a liar. Either you cannot read or comprehend or very well both!

It states right there in article which you quoted in plain words: "But, not the Oklahoma Legislature." They exempted themselves.

I'll say it again. Pay attention. Records of what our Legislators are doing on our dime must be open to the public.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Packing Heat wrote:
<quoted text>
Former state Senate Majority Leader Jim E. Lane, a typical Democrat, pleaded guilty to conspiring to defraud the state while employed by the Oklahoma Health Department.
Under the negotiated plea agreement, Lane was sentenced to five years in prison and pay the state $105,000 in restitution and spend five more years on probation after leaving prison.
He forfeited his state pension, including the portion of his pension earned while he was a legislator. Lane was among 14 employees indicted by a state grand jury that investigated "ghost" employment at the state agency. "Ghost" was described as employee who was on the payroll but did no actual work. His wife, Rebecca Lane, 47, was still awaiting trial on a separate charge accusing her of collecting state pay for work she didn't do. Lane admitted in his guilty plea to a felony charge he submitted false travel claims.
"I filed travel claims with the state of Oklahoma between 1997 and 2000," The claims were all false. I knew claims should be accurate and truthful" Lane wrote the judge.
In addition to the $105,000 in restitution, the state saved much more than that by not having to pay his pension, the attorney general said. Lane declined comment as he left the courtroom.
The plea agreement eliminated the need for what was expected to be a costly trial. Among the prosecution witnesses was a mistress, who said she took trips with Lane. A trial would have been a political embarrassment because Lane had close relationships with Democrat lawmakers. Edmondson said none of the lawmakers on Lane's witness list bothered to call him in an attempt to intervene on Lane's behalf.
==========
LOL, Democrats trying to catch up with Oklahoma crooks like Terill and Leftwich. Terill is also a hypocrite. Of course Dems have a long way to go to catch up to the cons indiscretions.

But keep it up. Your kind of right-wing nonsense always helps get Democrats elected and what makes it so good is you folks never get a clue.
pappy

Plano, TX

#9 Mar 3, 2013
what are the legislatures afraid of an what have they to hide from. After all they are working for the citizens of Oklahoma that pay their salary
pappy

Plano, TX

#10 Mar 3, 2013
Just take a look at the prowlingowl.com thread and see why you folks need an oversight committee to keep track of your tax money and where it is spend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drugs Sat ThisGirl 2
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Sat Troward 587
is it just me Sep 22 is it just me 1
Pain Help Needed ?? Get Medications without Scr... Sep 21 Valdez1 1
Do men wear women's panties (Jan '12) Sep 21 Pantie man 101
Too many blacks in OKC (Jan '12) Sep 21 Anne 196
Good-smelling laundry techniques! Sep 20 checktherhime 1

Oklahoma City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oklahoma City Mortgages