Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time

There are 8978 comments on the www.prweb.com story from Jul 9, 2008, titled Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time. In it, www.prweb.com reports that:

Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma City, OK (PRWEB) May 23, 2008 -- The recent release of wrongfully convicted Cynthia Sommer has brought awareness to the imprisonment of the innocent. The trend of crime lab mistakes, judicial errors, and incorrect eyewitness accounts is spreading nationwide. These contribute to years being stripped away from those who are mistakenly confined in a system that promises "Justice for all." Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma's own "Innocent Man" Dennis Fritz and Tabitha Pollock who was exonerated in an Illinois Supreme Court after six years in prison are among scheduled guest speakers. Ultimately, we want to educate the public of this very real epidemic of wrongful convictions.

To quote Sommer's website, "Putting an innocent person in jail is the legal equivalent of a plane crash." Unfortunately, these "plane crashes" are part of a trend that is being seen across the country. With high profile cases such as Sommer's making the nightly news, the public is now opening its eyes to the reality that wrongful imprisonment can happen to anyone. In Oklahoma, awareness of our "injustice" system has gone virtual with the websites www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com. These sites are in support of a woman named Raye Dawn Smith. Free Kelsey's Mom members believe Smith has been wrongfully convicted by a one-sided media blitz that altered public opinion and led to an unfair trial. During the trial, Richard Smothermon, District Attorney for Lincoln County, Oklahoma, stated that he believed Smith's daughter, Kelsey Smith-Briggs, was sexually assaulted and murdered by Mike Porter, Smith's ex-husband and Kelsey's step-father. According to Smothermon, Smith "should have known" Porter abused Kelsey. (Oklahoma Case(s) CF-06-00033 & CF-07-00134)Smith now sits in an Oklahoma prison waiting for her appeal to the 27-year sentence she received for "should have known." Evidence in support of allegations of perjury, jury tainting, juror misconduct, timelines, the conspiratorial emails, and other documentation can be found on Smith's sites at www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.prweb.com.

anon

Piedmont, OK

#9840 Aug 10, 2012
Well, not justifying her or anything like that, since I know little about this particular case, or her as a person, but people downplay the bondage an abuser can have over a spouse. No one would think twice about calling her a victim if she were found with physical chains around her, yet no one seems to take the mental and psychological chains seriously. The mental chains can hold us every bit as captive as anything physical, sometimes even more. Don't know if she was or not, just speaking in general.

Also I've noticed that folks who blast women like her are usually (not always) the ones who have NEVER been in such a predicament and just like to talk tough about what THEY would do.

In general, I think too much is expected of women nowadays. They are expected to be and act MUCH stronger then what they are. Too much hollywood has saturated our brains. Simple fact is that most women couldn't/wouldn't be able to handle someone like Porter.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#9841 Aug 14, 2012
notsofast wrote:
<quoted text>
The question I've always had is why is the phenomena of arresting women for not protecting their children against an abuser husband/boyfriend so recent? Why are women only within the last few decades or so being arrested for this?
I've seen killers and psychopaths many times in the system. When I looked at Raye dawns photo, she rather stuck out. What I mean is is that she simply doesn't have the "look" or the intense, hollow eyes of a sadistic, and psychotic piece of sh!t killer you normally see. Maybe the old saying about the eyes being a window into the soul aren't altogether true.
Another thing that I found disturbing: Why is it when the inmates have their photos taken years after beginning their sentence, they are smiling, and actually look fresher and YOUNGER then when they had their county and initial prison mugshot taken? Prison is supposed to be a punishment, which means it should take a toll on a persons appearance.
Look at Raye dawns recent photo. It's a perfect example. She looks good; happy and content. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.
There is no "look". Killers do not have a look just as pedophiles do not have a look.
tiredofbs

Norman, OK

#9842 Aug 14, 2012
I am me-deal with it wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "look". Killers do not have a look just as pedophiles do not have a look.
And you know that because.......

Since: Jul 12

Oklahoma City, OK

#9843 Aug 15, 2012
<quoted text>
Whatever an asshat is.....You are so infatuated with Raye that you cannot see the truth. I keep asking the same question and cannot get an answer. If Raye did not know what was going on then why is it SHE is the one who had an excuse for EACH AND EVERY injury Kelsey had. Not the Briggs that you and your bandwagon are trying to accuse. The Briggs are the ones who were fighting for Kelsey. NOT RAYE. Why did she not question Mike when child services stepped in and took Kelsey? She knew she wasn't abusing Kelsey so that left Mike. It's not that hard to figure out! She stayed because her love for Mike was stronger than her love for Kelsey. And that is why she deserves to be where she is. May Raye and Mike rot in hell.
How do you expect me to answer loaded questions? You're trying to prove a point like everyone else, have an open mind to debate.

Oklahoma City, OK

#9844 Aug 15, 2012
tiredofbs wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know that because.......
A buddy of mine hitched with and regularly boned a 14 year-old. We don't talk much anymore. He was 26.
beentencourt

Crescent City, CA

#9845 Aug 15, 2012
notsofast wrote:
<quoted text>
The question I've always had is why is the phenomena of arresting women for not protecting their children against an abuser husband/boyfriend so recent? Why are women only within the last few decades or so being arrested for this?
I've seen killers and psychopaths many times in the system. When I looked at Raye dawns photo, she rather stuck out. What I mean is is that she simply doesn't have the "look" or the intense, hollow eyes of a sadistic, and psychotic piece of sh!t killer you normally see. Maybe the old saying about the eyes being a window into the soul aren't altogether true.
Another thing that I found disturbing: Why is it when the inmates have their photos taken years after beginning their sentence, they are smiling, and actually look fresher and YOUNGER then when they had their county and initial prison mugshot taken? Prison is supposed to be a punishment, which means it should take a toll on a persons appearance.
Look at Raye dawns recent photo. It's a perfect example. She looks good; happy and content. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.
jail feeds them pretty good, and she was pregnant and stressing over her child when she went in,,,she now has a clean conscience and has settled down to making the best of a situation, I certainly would not let the sadistic beat me down and ruin my day, the day is hard enough as it is, i try to make the best of it, for her and those around her,
jail is about detention keeping us law-abiding safe from harm by those who shoot and kill and steal, not sadistic torture not punishment and 'the walls of the prison are not too high to keep out their constitutional rights,' says Sandra Day O'Conner, federal judge.
beentencourth

Crescent City, CA

#9846 Aug 15, 2012
<quoted text>
that's right, raye dawn's killer pedophile husband did not have the look, and that is why she 'did not know' nor did the experts who examined this family for the last 11 months of sweet tormented baby kelsey's life. they all should have known, that was their job, but they did not, now torturing those who never knew is only torture upon torture,What We Need To Be Doing Is Finding out how to protect these women and children..

women fail to protect their children from abusive men, and they also fail to even protect themselves from abusive men...should we torture them for failing? and thus enabling abuse,

should a woman go to jail for not knowing her husband was committing adultery.
for not knowing her husband was being mean to the child when no one was around, when he was being very nice to her in front of others,

it just looks like people like to blow their righteous horn while entertaining themselves torturing the defenseless and that is what killed Kelsey in the first place.
Don't be misled.
Raye dawn would have left porter in a hot minute and that is what looks like ignited the jealous rage over this much loved child,

don't be misled,
She put that child above anything, even her new husband and his kids.
beentencourth

Crescent City, CA

#9847 Aug 15, 2012
she put her baby above, her abusive ex lance briggs aka Raymond Robinson,her long time childhood sweetheart...she blatantly put her baby above her new husband too, that baby came first,dont be misled by the abusive husband's mob that he created to win 7 million dollar settlement
I am mom-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9848 Aug 15, 2012
the truth is Kelsey would not agree with the malicious prosecution against her family and her mother, the one who worked at a job all the while going to school so she don't have to depend on her abusive ex-husband. she worked hard to provide a home for her precious baby girl [and kelsey was precious, very precious] she worked day and night while helping her own mother take care of her father who was dying of cancer.

she would want her mother to not have a tainted jury who was poisoned by the media... when we see the rules of jury selection we are reminded of the basic civil rights that Kelsey mother did not receive
I am mom-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9849 Aug 15, 2012
when we see the rules of jury selection we are reminded of the basic civil rights that Kelsey's mother Raye dawn [ the late Ray smith's beloved daughter] ..................did not receive

Location hidden

#9850 Aug 16, 2012
Really?? She put Kelsey first? WHEN????? When Kelsey said Daddy Mike hurt me? NOT!!!!!!!
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9851 Aug 16, 2012
she put kelsey first in everything she did, from the time she was conceived to the marriage, the job, the house, she put kelsey first when she picked a man who had kids and was real loving to his kids,

she did not know mike was that way.
they are many who still believe the lies of mike porter.
and mike let raye dawn watch his kids, because he knew she loved put kelsey first
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9852 Aug 16, 2012
mike knew raye dawn loved Kelsey and put kelsey first before even him.

anyone who believes otherwise is believing the lies of mike porter.

a man who was facing the death penalty and life in prison as a child molester and a child murderer, so he gave them what the briggs wanted, to get raye dawn charged with something.
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9853 Aug 16, 2012
there are still people who would let mike porter watch their kids, one friend said so at the trial

Location hidden

#9854 Aug 21, 2012
First of all, I would not believe a thing that came out of Mike Porter's mouth! He is a monster! He deserves to rot in hell.

Second, I never said Raye did not love Kelsey. Everything pre-Mike shows that she did.

What I AM saying is that there is no way she could not have known Mike was hitting her child. How do you not question so many injuries? When child services stepped in, that should have been her clue. She knew she wasn't hurting Kelsey. She should have started questioning Mike then.
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

#9855 Aug 21, 2012
have you been in that situation? it is that faultfinding mentality that killed kelsey.

Location hidden

#9856 Aug 22, 2012
I am glad to say that no I haven't. BUT anytime I see a bruise on any of my children I question them on how it happened.

Faultfinding mentality did not kill Kelsey. Mike Porter did. If Raye had used that mentality, Kelsey would still be here today.

Come on, get real!! She married Mike when all of this was going on. I will say it again. She knew she was not harming Kelsey.....That left Mike.
tiredofbs

Norman, OK

#9857 Aug 23, 2012
Has anyone heard from Raye Dawn lately? Hope she is doing okay.

Oklahoma City, OK

#9858 Aug 23, 2012
tiredofbs wrote:
Has anyone heard from Raye Dawn lately? Hope she is doing okay.
I tightened the muzzle, you probably won't hear much.
eifaa

Brookings, OR

#9859 Aug 23, 2012
The abuse of Kelsey has not stopped, people have no shame

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) 13 hr hannah 344
Zoo 16 hr Visitor 1
News Downtown Oklahoma City music venue and restaura... Sun Ben Hurr 1
News Oklahoma City to host Republican presidential c... Sun BFD 5
Eyebrow Threading (May '12) Sat Shan 16
Review: Labor Finders OKC South OKC South (Jan '13) May 21 lf mgmt 2
Need new connect May 20 Coco6879 3
More from around the web

Oklahoma City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE