Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time

Jul 9, 2008 Full story: www.prweb.com 8,978

Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma City, OK (PRWEB) May 23, 2008 -- The recent release of wrongfully convicted Cynthia Sommer has brought awareness to the imprisonment of the innocent. The trend of crime lab mistakes, judicial errors, and incorrect eyewitness accounts is spreading nationwide. These contribute to years being stripped away from those who are mistakenly confined in a system that promises "Justice for all." Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma's own "Innocent Man" Dennis Fritz and Tabitha Pollock who was exonerated in an Illinois Supreme Court after six years in prison are among scheduled guest speakers. Ultimately, we want to educate the public of this very real epidemic of wrongful convictions.

To quote Sommer's website, "Putting an innocent person in jail is the legal equivalent of a plane crash." Unfortunately, these "plane crashes" are part of a trend that is being seen across the country. With high profile cases such as Sommer's making the nightly news, the public is now opening its eyes to the reality that wrongful imprisonment can happen to anyone. In Oklahoma, awareness of our "injustice" system has gone virtual with the websites www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com. These sites are in support of a woman named Raye Dawn Smith. Free Kelsey's Mom members believe Smith has been wrongfully convicted by a one-sided media blitz that altered public opinion and led to an unfair trial. During the trial, Richard Smothermon, District Attorney for Lincoln County, Oklahoma, stated that he believed Smith's daughter, Kelsey Smith-Briggs, was sexually assaulted and murdered by Mike Porter, Smith's ex-husband and Kelsey's step-father. According to Smothermon, Smith "should have known" Porter abused Kelsey. (Oklahoma Case(s) CF-06-00033 & CF-07-00134)Smith now sits in an Oklahoma prison waiting for her appeal to the 27-year sentence she received for "should have known." Evidence in support of allegations of perjury, jury tainting, juror misconduct, timelines, the conspiratorial emails, and other documentation can be found on Smith's sites at www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com.

Full Story

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#9646 Apr 12, 2012
AGAIN!!!!!! This is NOT about RAYE!!!!! IT IS ABOUT KELSEY!!!!!!!! Raye is where she belongs.
a deal for killer

Crescent City, CA

#9647 Apr 12, 2012
Yes, This is NOT about Raye!!!! It is about Kelsey!!!!!!!
Raye is where yOU put her with your disrespect for Kelsey.!!!!!!!!!
with your Hate Crimes !!!!!!!!!!
Imparial tainted Jury!!!!!!!!!!
Media run trial!!!!!!!!!!
tried by the Media is illegal,
Kelsey's killer got a deal he could not refuse.
Kelsey loved her mother and would not agree to the excessive mob media lies and violence.

The trial for her death was not impartial nor was it moderated legally.
a deal for killer

Crescent City, CA

#9648 Apr 12, 2012
"Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts.

When someone tried to maliciously attack my mother it hurt me. any one who loved their mother is hurt by someone hurting your loved ones,
and admit it. Kelsey's home was stalked before, during and after her birth and death.
birds nests are given more protection.

Kelsey would not agree to this
media child-kidnapping
/.
nor to the excessive force and tainted trial given to her dearly beloved mommy.
a deal for killer

Crescent City, CA

#9649 Apr 12, 2012
I am me-deal with it wrote:
AGAIN!!!!!! This is NOT about RAYE!!!!! IT IS ABOUT KELSEY!!!!!!!! Raye is where she belongs.
you may deal with abuse, but I don't.

I don't stay in an abusive relationship.

and yes, I have been stalked. but I am now free in a peaceful life.
I'm sorry that you are not.
researcher

Crescent City, CA

#9650 Apr 12, 2012
Wake Up! they are being nice, real nice when people are watching but turn to monsters when alone with children...

people need to know that abusers can hide their abuse, and the abused will not tell on them,,, this is so sad, please spread the word

Location hidden

#9651 Apr 12, 2012
a deal for killer wrote:
<quoted text>
you may deal with abuse, but I don't.
I don't stay in an abusive relationship.
and yes, I have been stalked. but I am now free in a peaceful life.
I'm sorry that you are not.
YOu are sooooooooo clueless
researcher

Crescent City, CA

#9652 Apr 14, 2012
Dear YOU,[I am me-deal with it], you want me to deal with your abusive ways....you may deal with abuse, but I don't.

neither did Raye dawn, she worked hard to stop the abuse she got from her ex-husband,
it is a lie to say she enabled abuse, nobody enabled abuse of Kelsey except those who happened to walk in on his monsterous deeds, the only one who did that was a child of 8 years old.....and she was the only witness besides Kelsey herself.

Location hidden

#9653 Apr 16, 2012
Then why did she have an excuse for EVERY bruise that baby had??????????
tell me

Crescent City, CA

#9655 Apr 16, 2012
Separation Anxiety in Moms
How to cope with being away from your baby
We know separation anxiety is a natural part of development for babies and kids, but they aren’t the only ones who feel uncomfortable when mom or dad leaves; most parents feel some anxiety about saying goodbye, too. It can be especially intense in the first year, when we worry so much about safety, feeding, sleeping and so on, and sometimes even more so for a stay-at-home parent (for whom breaks are the exception). But it’s also a fixture in some form or another for most parents, even as the years go on.

If you find yourself struggling with separation, here are some tips you might want to consider:

How to handle your
baby's separation anxiety

Allow yourself to feel anxious. Separation anxiety is the other side of the attachment coin; a healthy bond with your child means a certain degree of discomfort when she’s not there. The goal isn’t to get rid of worry or doubt — in fact, nerves are part of our parenting instinct and they help us make good decisions.

Know that other caregivers do things differently. You’ve spent months or years getting to know your little one and fine-tuning your approach. One of the tough parts about leaving your child is the fear that no one else knows the secrets. And that’s true, but kids are surprisingly adaptive. Even as tiny babies, they know the game is different when someone else is in charge. Dad, grandma, or a babysitter — those people will find their own way and might surprise you with the tricks they invent.

Separation is an important part of attachment. It’s healthy for your baby to be taken care of by multiple caregivers. As humans evolved, we parented in communities, passing our kids around and sharing the responsibilities. Allowing kids to trust and be cared for by other people only boosts their feeling of community and sense that the world is a safe place.

Taking time for yourself isn’t just for fun, it’s for your health. In the early months, if leaving your baby makes you miserable, don’t force it. But as she grows, it’s natural and healthy to start putting pieces of your own life back in the equation. That means lunch with a friend, exercise class, date night — these aren’t just frills. Taking care of yourself is important to you and your child too.

Look behind the guilt. Guilt is a common go-to emotion for parents, but it’s not a very useful one. In fact, feeling guilt over being away from your child can be a way of not dealing with other things, like your own independence, working on your partner relationship, engaging in career or important hobbies, and so on. Acknowledge your guilt but don’t let it become your emotional hideout.

When you have a baby, one of the reasons separation causes anxiety is that it’s new, but that unfamiliarity will dissipate over time. Just know that attachment doesn’t mean always physically being there (that’s why research shows kids in quality daycare are just as securely attached). You’ll feel more confident the more times you leave and come back to find that things went just fine. And your child’s bond to you will grow in part through the consistent message that you always come back.
tell me

Crescent City, CA

#9656 Apr 16, 2012
Separation Anxiety in Moms
How to cope with being away from your baby

Crescent City, CA

#9657 Apr 16, 2012
people stealing babies is one of the reasons women get separation anxiety.

like my husband, whom i left because he talked of killing people,

He then talked of having me killed so he could get custody of the child i was pregnant with,

I left town in march and he was put in jail for murder in august. he murdered some other woman.

I had bad dreams for years.
and no one babysat my child, not even my mother,
only when i got my wisdom teeth pulled when he was two did i leave him all day with someone..
stealing babies

Crescent City, CA

#9658 Apr 16, 2012
Remember the social workers who were working with raye and kelsey told her to leave kelsey with mike and her mother for shot periods to help kelsey get over her separation anxiety. but little did they know that kelsey had other reasons for her anxiety. reasons she did not tell.
stealing babies

Crescent City, CA

#9659 Apr 16, 2012
for short periods of time to help kelsey get over her separation anxiety. but little did they know...
stealing babies

Crescent City, CA

#9660 Apr 16, 2012
I think this should be a lesson to all young girls, you can't have a perfect marriage in a imperfect world,

the number one killer of girls are there boyfriends.
the number one killer of toddlers are their mom's boyfriends.

yet we look down on these single mothers.

that is why we have 3,000 babies killed everyday through their doctors, because of trying to please society.
roe vs wade was the government idea, and they asked this girl if she wanted an abortion, not the other way around.
well why is sex with out a license legal,
driving without a license if illegal.
It is so legal that boys get mad on a date when girls say no to sex like she had just denied him to access to the public park?

and then these same pushy boys do not wear a condom.
get a life sue

Brookings, OR

#9661 Apr 16, 2012
why do you ramble to yourself?
a deal for the killer

Crescent City, CA

#9662 Apr 16, 2012
why do you give a deal to a killer

get a life? lol, what ever i have that is decent people want to steal
get real

Crescent City, CA

#9663 Apr 16, 2012
Samuel R. Gross’s “Convicting the Innocent” quotes:

• Innocent teenagers accused of murder are more likely to falsely confess than innocent adults

• In the last three decades, over 200 innocent American defendants have been exonerated and freed by DNA tests

• Through 2007, there were 210 DNA exonerations; all but a handful of the defendants were convicted of crimes that included rape, although a substantial number were also convicted of other crimes against the same victims ~ for example, murder

• Death sentences represent less than 1/10 of 1% of prison sentences but they account for about 22% of known exonerations from 1979 through 2003, a disproportion of more than 250 to 1 (Gross & O’Brien 2008)

• We know of 600 to 700 exonerations of all types, from across the country over a period of 35 years

• The truth is that once we move beyond murder and rape cases, we know very little about any aspect of false convictions. Over 95% of the individual exonerations that we know about are in murder or rape cases, which together account for about 2% of all felony convictions, and a smaller proportion of all criminal convictions (Durose & Langan 2003).

More Statistics:

• Oklahoma imprisons more women than any other state in the nation

• There were a record 112,498 women in state and federal prison in 2006 ( www.sentencingproject.org )

• The number of women in prison has increased by 812% from the total of 12,331 in 1980, more than double the 380% increase for men during this period ( www.sentencingproject.org ).

Crescent City, CA

#9664 Apr 16, 2012
excessive sentences, are just another part of wrongfully convicted....

when you think about the 106,000 who die from properly prescribed drugs each year and no one gets even a ticket or a fine....

Patricia Spottedcrow sold $31 in marijuana to an informant and received 12 years in prison.

She was one of women profiled in the series that investigated why Oklahoma is ranked No. 1 in the nation in the number of women in prison.

The state incarcerates 134 women per capita, compared to the national average of 69, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. While the number of women entering Oklahoma’s prisons each year has remained somewhat stable in recent years – 1,284 in 2009 – the number of women in the system has grown to a high for the decade as tougher sentencing laws have passed.

The cost to taxpayers is high, up to $43 per inmate per day at one facility. Meanwhile, experts say the children of female prisoners are at risk to continue the cycle.

In 2011, the Tulsa World partnered with Oklahoma Watch -- an independent, non-profit investigative reporting team -- to explore the issue of female incarceration.
mad dash for the cash

Eureka, CA

#9666 Apr 25, 2012
The trend of crime lab mistakes,
judicial errors,
and incorrect eyewitness accounts is spreading nationwide.
hermit

United States

#9667 Apr 25, 2012
What a joke, Spottedcrow got 12yrs. while taxpayer funds,(Women in recovery program) were used to help keep the Tulsa "Sonic carhop stabber" and the "Wal-Mart meth maker" out of jail so they could endanger the public again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There are 17 QUEERS and 9 Lesbians in Oklahoma ... 13 hr Nancy Polinski 1
Move from Miami(Florida) to OKC(Oklahoma). Wed Tony Kfdbgs 4
Obama's followers are either COMMUNIST or QUEERS Wed Calling it like I... 41
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Wed Hhhh 193
looking for someone Oct 20 queenslove22 2
we can stop Ebola! Oct 20 barbosa 1
can you still buy herbal incense in oklahoma ci... (Nov '13) Oct 19 derik 9
Oklahoma City Dating
Find my Match

Oklahoma City Jobs