Muscatine County considers smoking ban for new employees

Oct 4, 2011 Read more: WQAD

The Muscatine County Board of Supervisors has recently considered the shift from a smoke-free to a smoker-free workplace.

Read more
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#1 Oct 5, 2011
There are many public sector employers who already do not employ smokers. Adding this one to the list is still news, but not so much so as it would have been a decade ago.

I notice that the writer (who closes by soft-pedaling the "slippery slope" plank of the tobacco industry's position) hits continually on the "smoking/tobacco is legal" premise. This is a clear case of biased reporting, however subtle the manipulation involved may be.

While mentioning that there are many state laws that can be construed as against refusing to hire smokers, the writer fails to touch on the fact that firing employees who show up for work smelling like tobacco is not so widely frowned on.

Denying an employer the right to use smoking as a hiring criteria when smelling like smoke is an acceptable firing criteria simply means that the employer is required to go to the expense and trouble of hiring people for half a shift in order to apply their true criteria for hiring.

Those state laws will probably change over time to make it clear that they should NOT be interpreted as including smoking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Okemos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Households Would Pay $474 More In Taxes Under R... Apr 13 Kevin 3
News New Poll has Voters Against Roads Proposal 3 to 1 Apr 13 Kevin 1
News Michigan roads proposal: Opponents knock 'speci... Apr 8 ray 4
I farted Mar 31 To you 1
News Uber is 'out of control,' says Michigan senator... Mar 27 SueG 1
Review: Bd's Mongolian Grill Nov '14 Amanda 1
Debate: Ferguson - Okemos, MI (Aug '14) Aug '14 Impose martial law 1
More from around the web

Okemos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE