Chevy Ends SSR Pickup Production

Chevy Ends SSR Pickup Production

There are 46 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Jan 18, 2006, titled Chevy Ends SSR Pickup Production. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

LANSING, MI -- Chevrolet will shut down its Lansing, Michigan, plant for good March 17 ending production of the SSR pickup, the Associated Press reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MRO

Bridgewater, NJ

#1 Feb 25, 2006
I am very upset to see that Chevy is ending production of the SSR pickup. Being too young an age to actually purchase one myself, I was really hoping they would remain in production long enough for me to be able to purchase one of my own ):
I geuss that I will have to hope to find a used one some time in a couple of years ):
Ivan Tuttle

United States

#2 Feb 27, 2006
Now that Chevy is no longer making the SSR does that mean the value of the SSR's will go up? I own a 2003 SSR and I have been told by dealers that it's only worth about $30,000, but with production being stopped, doesn't it make it much more rare? I love my SSR and don't want to part with it, just thought they would be worth more. You can visit my site, 2003chevyssr.com if you would like. There were only 3,495 SSR's made in 2003 and of that only 748 were made in Sling Shot Yellow.
housewife

Moore, SC

#3 Mar 3, 2006
Ah, you mean they finally realized it was overpriced and useless and no one cared to enough to buy them? GM as a whole has a lot of work to do if they are EVER going to top the market again. From design to advertisement.
Bow-tie true

San Antonio, TX

#4 Mar 8, 2006
I do agree that GM has them over priced. I am wondering if the are doing this because they are bringing back the F-body line up.

Too bad I really had my eye on one after they brought out the 6 speed manual, however, it would have to used as I would not pay that price for it.

I just hope they , GM, are smart enough to realize that getting rid of the convertible on the Camaro should allow them to price less and draw more, but that might be too little too late.

I do miss my LS1!
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#5 Mar 15, 2006
Housewife, you never drove one did you?? Don't know what you're missing!!
Sharon Higman

Kernersville, NC

#6 Mar 16, 2006
I have an 05 SSR with onnly 7600 miles on it and I was told by several dealers that it is only worth $27,500 tops. I have the slingshot yellow and it is loaded. I would love to sell it. If anyone knows of someone in S. Calif looking for one they can reach me at [email protected] The SSR is now the Chevy's "Edsel"
housewife

Moore, SC

#7 Mar 16, 2006
Janet Wrestler wrote:
Housewife, you never drove one did you?? Don't know what you're missing!!
Nope, never drove it, just looked at them sitting on the showroom floor. It was a flop from the beginning even if it did get some of the best advertising GM ever did. Their advertising abilities peaked with that truck. It was sorely overpriced and around here was treated like an ancient relic which I found amusing. One customer that wanted it walked away mad because it wasn't allowed to be test drove. RIP
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#8 Mar 18, 2006
To each his own I guess. I test drove mine twice. When they first came out Dealers were very "Snotty" about test drives and prices, but by '05 they realized if they wanted to sell them, they needed to "sweeten the deal". Just had to find someone willing to negoiate and I made my deal. I guess approximately 25,000 of us "cared enough to but them". There are still some on the lots but not for long. I intend to enjoy mine for a long time to come.
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#9 Mar 18, 2006
Sharon Higman wrote:
I have an 05 SSR with onnly 7600 miles on it and I was told by several dealers that it is only worth $27,500 tops. I have the slingshot yellow and it is loaded. I would love to sell it. If anyone knows of someone in S. Calif looking for one they can reach me at [email protected] The SSR is now the Chevy's "Edsel"
You can sell it on Ebay for more than that. Check it out. Also go to www.ssrfantic.com . You can get alot of info on what it's worth and how they are selling.
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#10 Mar 18, 2006
Bow-tie true wrote:
I do agree that GM has them over priced. I am wondering if the are doing this because they are bringing back the F-body line up.

Too bad I really had my eye on one after they brought out the 6 speed manual, however, it would have to used as I would not pay that price for it.

I just hope they , GM, are smart enough to realize that getting rid of the convertible on the Camaro should allow them to price less and draw more, but that might be too little too late.

I do miss my LS1!
The LS2 engine in the 05s and 06s are great. I love leaving the rice burners in the dust at stop signs.!!
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#11 Mar 18, 2006
Ivan Tuttle wrote:
Now that Chevy is no longer making the SSR does that mean the value of the SSR's will go up? I own a 2003 SSR and I have been told by dealers that it's only worth about $30,000, but with production being stopped, doesn't it make it much more rare? I love my SSR and don't want to part with it, just thought they would be worth more. You can visit my site, 2003chevyssr.com if you would like. There were only 3,495 SSR's made in 2003 and of that only 748 were made in Sling Shot Yellow.
Don't think the value will go up much. DRIVE it and ENJOY it. That's how you'll get your money's worth!!
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#12 Mar 18, 2006
MRO wrote:
I am very upset to see that Chevy is ending production of the SSR pickup. Being too young an age to actually purchase one myself, I was really hoping they would remain in production long enough for me to be able to purchase one of my own ):
I geuss that I will have to hope to find a used one some time in a couple of years ):
Don't give up. It's well worth the wait. When you're ready to buy check auto trader and ebay. You'll find one. Good luck.
steve mauro

Somerdale, NJ

#13 Apr 9, 2006
just got an ''05 SSR, it is the best heavy chevy until the new camaro debuts in '07, BABYCAKES!"
Janet Wrestler

Kansas City, MO

#14 Apr 12, 2006
steve mauro wrote:
just got an ''05 SSR, it is the best heavy chevy until the new camaro debuts in '07, BABYCAKES!"
Congratulations, now if you want to learn about your truck and have some fun too, go to WWW.ssrfanatic.com there are over 3,000 ssr owners on this site.
Brian Cross Jericho VT

United States

#15 May 20, 2006
As far as the overprice issue goes, I think that aplies to the sticker price.I bought my 05 LS2 for $30,000 (new), and for me there was nothing even close for the money. I dont know about the 03 and 04 models but I have a great car and some day it will be very colletable with only 25,000 made. I always wonder about comments made by folks who have never even been a part of something, but have all the answers.
Robert Ferry

Haledon, NJ

#16 Jun 14, 2006
I loved the concept when it came out but the SSR was only offered in a pickup! Was this an ElCamino version of the HHR which was hinted at in spy photos?? Then I heard it had a retractable roof. Sounds like trouble to me. Where was the demand for such a convertible pickup? Didnt Dodge try this? I was hoping the SSR would have a sedan look like a 1951 Chevy fastback! That would be some retro look. But the pricey hardware of that roof and stickershock killed the SSR.
Doug Bryan

Glendale Springs, NC

#17 Jun 29, 2006
I remember looking at the SSR when it first came out, then learning later that the next year got the new corvette engine.
I would like to hear from owner's of the SSR, how comfortable this vehicle is on a daily basis....It is a awesome looking vehicle..sorry to see it go.
capt al ssr owner

AOL

#18 Jul 5, 2006
sold 05 ssr yellow 7/3/06 people will stand up to the plate. now I got 06 ssr yellow [last production run ] I am so happy and pleased with my ssr
Sharon Higman

Kernersville, NC

#19 Jul 6, 2006
I still own my 05 SSR in slingshot yellow. I just got a new 07 Tahoe so I wouldn't put so many miles on my SSR. It is now my week end car. I have decided to keep my SSR because of the unique design (retro 50s)and enjoy it. It has so much power and is fun to drive. Love the days when I can have the top down. My husband has an 05 Vet and wishes the top came down as easy as the SSR. I heard there were only about 4000 SSRs made each year so I now think they will be a real collector's item. The HHR is no competition. No power and no looks.
Dave J

United States

#20 Jul 6, 2006
I have an 05 LS2 in Redline Red. I drive 100 miles a day in my SSR as my full time ride. There is nothing like it. Vet performance with looks that break necks. I'm telling you, while on the tollways of Chicago 1 out of 10 cars in either direction give looks, wave, take pictures, etc. you can't believe what attention this car gets. And you see very few others on the road. My 14 year old daughter, thinks it's a blast when I pick her up at school with the top down and her girlfriends just smile and wave. Too bad for everyone else their gone (smile)DJ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Okemos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Leaving a dog in a hot car in Michigan could se... Fri Squach 704
CATA wants BRT, do you? Aug 23 Perplexed 1
Trump will win, wait and see just watch Aug 23 sgt Witold Kowal 1
News Gov. Rick Snyder requests MISO to study benefit... Aug 17 Ogoki Headwaters 1
Who should I vote for? Aug 16 Daniel Boone 1
Maybe Aug 7 Wife 1
News Winner of $57M Mega Millions has criminal record (Jun '08) Aug 5 TreforG 153

Okemos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Okemos Mortgages