WZZM13 - House considers bills to limit reasons someone could b...

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

A boss might find his workers' habits objectionable, like smoking or speaking at political rallies, but he can't fire workers for those activities under a package of bills under consideration in the state House ...
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jun 19, 2007
Ex Shaper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

I wonder what Shape Corporation in Grand Haven thinks about this... I don't kow how they get away with it, but they won't hire someone who smokes - you must pass a smoke screen to get hired. Additionally, they charge their existing employees who smoke $800 more a year for insurance.
They also have rules about your weight and will charge you more if you're over weight and do not attend their Fitness Factory.
I don't understand how this is not discrimination.
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

This all started with that WEYCO -WACKO getting all that positive publicity about firing people who smoke--he went a step further and fired people whose SPOUSES smoked. And everyone applauded and thought what a wonderful thing this was. Now it is my understanding that if you want to work for Wacko your weight had better be within his idea of good. What a great communist he is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Okemos Discussions

Search the Okemos Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
904 Bensch Street Jul 24 Yea 2
MSU Gets Anonymous $1 Million Gift For Gay Center Jul 24 Marcavage s Emission 25
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
Ebay Has Highest Incidence Rate of Customer Ser... (Jun '13) Jul 19 EcommerceBlogger 16
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
Review: Nowak 222 Tax Jun '14 Anonymous 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Okemos Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Okemos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE