Guard packs for Iraq

Guard packs for Iraq

There are 65 comments on the GoErie.com story from Sep 23, 2008, titled Guard packs for Iraq. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Sgt. Travis Bruno, of Syracuse, NY, packs for his deployment to Iraq with the 112th Infantry at the Pennsylvania National Guard Readiness Center in Cambridge Springs on Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Youngstown, OH

#1 Sep 23, 2008
Good luck to them all...
wrednekk

AOL

#3 Sep 23, 2008
If you wish them well then you would fight to keep them home from an illegal and immoral war started by lies for oil and war profiteering. This is not patriotic to be willing to send our brave soldiers to a war that should never have been fought for reasons that are criminal. That is a cop out to just wave the flag, pray to God and send them off to die when the real enemies are in the Whitehouse. Dowsn't anything sink in? All the lies have been exposed ans still many just go along as zombies and stay with the so called patriotic line and follow along like lost sheep. You have a mind of your own. You don't have to listen to preacher Bob or Bush or Cheney. Read and become aware don't just stumbl;e along in the dark with your flag and look ignorant!
MrsF

Erie, PA

#5 Sep 23, 2008
leave it to a couple ***holes to start preaching about how wrong the war is when they should be saying we wish you well. These people are just doing their jobs. They didn't make the decision to go to Iraq, they probably don't even want to, but they dont have a choice. You dont have to support the war, but my God at least support the men and women that HAVE to go fight it!
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#6 Sep 23, 2008
MrsF wrote:
These people are just doing their jobs.
MrsF, I know it's a lot to ask someone to watch a 38 minute video,(about as long as a TV sitcom) but I think you might have a better understanding of why this is in an illegal war and why some soldiers are following their conscience and refusing to partake in it.

I send this soldier money to help him fight his legal battle. Nobody explains it more articulately than he does.

wrednekk

AOL

#8 Sep 23, 2008
Support the troops by sending them to a war that should not have been fought? Are you people crazy or just plain stupid? Stop with the God stuff! No God would be sending anyone to a war for oil and war profiteering. Start reading and something other than the Bible and field and stream. You are making yourselves look dumber than BUSH AND THAT'S PRETTY BAD!
Roll on 112th

United States

#10 Sep 23, 2008
TWTL wrote:
<quoted text>
MrsF, I know it's a lot to ask someone to watch a 38 minute video,(about as long as a TV sitcom) but I think you might have a better understanding of why this is in an illegal war and why some soldiers are following their conscience and refusing to partake in it.
I send this soldier money to help him fight his legal battle. Nobody explains it more articulately than he does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =J3Y-jZdeL70XX
I can understand the strong emotions people have against the war in Iraq. People blame our government, big oil, and the list goes on. There are many that say this war is illegal. We live in a free society that allows our citizens freedoms unheard in various places on this planet. You are free to support the troops that out of their personal ideology decide not to participate in the war. You can write editorials denouncing the President, slamming political decisions, and express your opinion on most any topic. These freedoms were won by soldiers. We are sending off our neighbors, friends, and love ones into harmís way. Explain to me why people should wish death and heart break on their families because they made a choice to go to Iraq. Itís a sad commentary on our culture when our people victimize our soldiers like the enemy that will soon face.
MrsF

Erie, PA

#11 Sep 23, 2008
TWTL wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =J3Y-jZdeL70XX
Dont they get into some kind of trouble for not going? I dont agree with the war either but dont take it out on the troops.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#12 Sep 23, 2008
Roll on 112th wrote:
<quoted text>I can understand the strong emotions people have against the war in Iraq. People blame our government, big oil, and the list goes on. There are many that say this war is illegal. We live in a free society that allows our citizens freedoms unheard in various places on this planet. You are free to support the troops that out of their personal ideology decide not to participate in the war. You can write editorials denouncing the President, slamming political decisions, and express your opinion on most any topic. These freedoms were won by soldiers. We are sending off our neighbors, friends, and love ones into harmís way. Explain to me why people should wish death and heart break on their families because they made a choice to go to Iraq. Itís a sad commentary on our culture when our people victimize our soldiers like the enemy that will soon face.
Freedom? Not for long. Germany was a working Democracy while the Fascist shift was in full swing. Like you, people still saw many freedoms in place and never paid any attention to the ones that were being lost until it was too late. Every Democracy that has been dismantled has followed the same blueprint. If you read Naomi Wolf's "The End of America As We Know It" you can see for yourself that the same exact blueprint that worked for Hitler and Stalin and Mussolini has been followed step-by-step to a T in our own country. We are in the twilight (where it's still light, but not quite dark) of the Fascist shift that descended upon Germany, Italy and Russia. Don't think democracies don't crumble. They do! We are!

Smedley is a lot smarter than you give him credit for. He KNOWS how to get your attention. He'd rather you understand what a racket war is than have you like him.

Soldiers are sworn to defend the Constitution of the United States. When they refuse to fight in a war that is illegal according to our Constitution, then THEY are the most patriotic citizens this country could ever hope to have. THEY are the soldiers we should be supporting.

Ninety nine percent of the young men and women don't understand this. They have been brainwashed to fight (what they don't understand is an illegal war) because "We're Americans and we're special."

They all too simply believe "they hate our freedom."

They don't hate our freedom. They envy our freedom. We foolishly take it for granted and expect it to be there when we wake up in the morning while we are throwing it away in the name of defending it.

We are not free without our Constitution and it is being dismantled bit by bit by bit.

The best way to support those soldier being called to "duty" is to say a prayer: Please forgive them, for they know not what they do. Because most of them are there because they don't have anywhere else to go. War is one country's poor people killing another country's poor people.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#13 Sep 23, 2008
MrsF wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont they get into some kind of trouble for not going?
They face court martial. That's why we send him money to help pay his legal fees. Many other soldiers need this kind of support, too. Any little bit helps and gives them encouragement to keep on fighting to uphold our Constitution.

We're not free without our Constitution. Please help these soldiers defend it in any way you can.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#14 Sep 23, 2008
Naomi Wolf's "The End of America."

andy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Sep 23, 2008
What's with all the god damn hippies up in Erie? Sounds like it's turning into San Francisco. "If you don't love it leave it. M.H." Go get 'em boys!
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#16 Sep 23, 2008
Is the Iraq war legal or illegal?

Roll on 112th

United States

#17 Sep 23, 2008
TWTL wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom? Not for long. Germany was a working Democracy while the Fascist shift was in full swing. Like you, people still saw many freedoms in place and never paid any attention to the ones that were being lost until it was too late. Every Democracy that has been dismantled has followed the same blueprint. If you read Naomi Wolf's "The End of America As We Know It" you can see for yourself that the same exact blueprint that worked for Hitler and Stalin and Mussolini has been followed step-by-step to a T in our own country. We are in the twilight (where it's still light, but not quite dark) of the Fascist shift that descended upon Germany, Italy and Russia. Don't think democracies don't crumble. They do! We are!
Smedley is a lot smarter than you give him credit for. He KNOWS how to get your attention. He'd rather you understand what a racket war is than have you like him.
Soldiers are sworn to defend the Constitution of the United States. When they refuse to fight in a war that is illegal according to our Constitution, then THEY are the most patriotic citizens this country could ever hope to have. THEY are the soldiers we should be supporting.
Ninety nine percent of the young men and women don't understand this. They have been brainwashed to fight (what they don't understand is an illegal war) because "We're Americans and we're special."
They all too simply believe "they hate our freedom."
They don't hate our freedom. They envy our freedom. We foolishly take it for granted and expect it to be there when we wake up in the morning while we are throwing it away in the name of defending it.
We are not free without our Constitution and it is being dismantled bit by bit by bit.
The best way to support those soldier being called to "duty" is to say a prayer: Please forgive them, for they know not what they do. Because most of them are there because they don't have anywhere else to go. War is one country's poor people killing another country's poor people.
Itís great to have intellectual dialog with a person who has deeper understanding of the complex historical paths of democracy. Everything has a being and an end and we are not the same little nation that was founded over 200 years ago. Societies evolve and those forces that cause change are beyond the understanding of most Americans. Most Americans only care about themselves and give little thought to the world around them. I caution you defending Smedley. Yes, he is abrasive, rude, and crude and demeans most people that stand up to him. He attacks people and not the issues diluting any message he is trying to convey. People like this remove the critical middle ground where real discussions can occur. This reduces these forms to the bottom rung of communication and not worth the effort to really explore points of view.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#18 Sep 23, 2008
Roll on 112th wrote:
I caution you defending Smedley. Yes, he is abrasive, rude, and crude and demeans most people that stand up to him. He attacks people and not the issues diluting any message he is trying to convey. People like this remove the critical middle ground where real discussions can occur. This reduces these forms to the bottom rung of communication and not worth the effort to really explore points of view.
I've been reading Smedley for a while now. I think I understand him enough by now to know that he really is a highly intelligent person with a huge chip on his shoulder for being asked to kill for a lie.

Imagine what it must be like to live with the image of war in your head, to see what it was like and to know what you did, and to come to the realization that it was all for a lie.

You can't read General Butler's book (so small you can read it in 2 hours or less) and ever see war the same again.

Most of the young men who make it back alive are going to have nothing to do but sit on a bar stool, disillusioned with a huge chip on their shoulder, trying hard to drown the memories and nightmares.

I think Smedley's experience might be similar. I don't know for sure, but it helps me to understand his anger and OUTRAGE-ous comments.

Smedley needs your support, too, as he's supporting the troops the best way he knows how.

He does know how to get your attention and I think what he has to say IS worth exploring.

Liz

Erie, PA

#19 Sep 23, 2008
Just for the record my brothers dog's name is Tyson not Hank! lol
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Sep 23, 2008
TWTL wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been reading Smedley for a while now. I think I understand him enough by now to know that he really is a highly intelligent person with a huge chip on his shoulder for being asked to kill for a lie.
Imagine what it must be like to live with the image of war in your head, to see what it was like and to know what you did, and to come to the realization that it was all for a lie.
You can't read General Butler's book (so small you can read it in 2 hours or less) and ever see war the same again.
Most of the young men who make it back alive are going to have nothing to do but sit on a bar stool, disillusioned with a huge chip on their shoulder, trying hard to drown the memories and nightmares.
I think Smedley's experience might be similar. I don't know for sure, but it helps me to understand his anger and OUTRAGE-ous comments.
Smedley needs your support, too, as he's supporting the troops the best way he knows how.
He does know how to get your attention and I think what he has to say IS worth exploring.
You're hitching your cart to a pretty messed-up horse there. Smedley has taken it upon himself to demean and degrade women and minorities at every turn, to debase people who are serving this country, and to convict people before they go to trial. I thought those were all things that go against rational thought, and against the "liberal" mindset.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#21 Sep 23, 2008
Quotes from the story:

"This is our job," he says. "This is what we were trained to do."

"Getting shot at, that's going to be scary the first time," he says. "But we'll get used to it."

"You can't be scared," he says. "That will only make it worse."

"Leaving your loved ones ... that's the hard part."

"The hardest part is missing your family," says Minnick, of Pittsburgh. "There's no way to train for that." He's leaving a wife with two children.

"I don't want to leave them," he says. "Not for a minute. But how many times in life do you get to do something honorable and for the public good?"

This is tragic that our guard is being asked to go fight an illegal war. For what? They hate us for our freedom?!?!?!?

Besides, I always thought the 'National' Guard was trained to help guard our 'nation' on our own soil and help restore order during times of natural disasters or 'national' crises. The are the 'National' guard. New Orleans sure found out quick what a disaster it was to have so many of their 'National' Guard soldiers in Iraq when they needed them the most.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#22 Sep 23, 2008
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're hitching your cart to a pretty messed-up horse there. Smedley has taken it upon himself to demean and degrade women and minorities at every turn, to debase people who are serving this country, and to convict people before they go to trial. I thought those were all things that go against rational thought, and against the "liberal" mindset.
I'm not here to explain Smedley or defend him or anything else. He deosnt need it, and there's a good chance he probably resents what I've said already. I don't presume to understand him, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

Watch the movie 'Hearts and Minds' or 'Faces of the Enemy.' I'm certain you will see Smedley in a different light.

You and I and everyone else who judges Smedley have no idea what his story is. All we know is that he is a "combat veteran" and it wasn't until AFTER he saw what he saw and did what he did and began paying attention to more than the spoon fed propaganda from the "inbedded reporters" and came to the horrifying realization that he was sent off to do what he did FOR A LIE that you've come to know anything about him.

And that's ALL you know.

Quit judging and just try to understand him because there's going to be hundreds of thousands of more like him.
Supporter

Akron, OH

#23 Sep 23, 2008
My brother is one of the soldiers going to Iraq. Not many people want our soldiers over there but it is what it is. All we can do on our end is pray that they make it back safely and if they don't, then they are walking with God.

Those of you with so much hate in your hearts, I will pray for you as well.
TWTL

Cambridge Springs, PA

#24 Sep 23, 2008
Supporter wrote:
My brother is one of the soldiers going to Iraq. Not many people want our soldiers over there but it is what it is. All we can do on our end is pray that they make it back safely and if they don't, then they are walking with God.
Those of you with so much hate in your hearts, I will pray for you as well.
My heart is filled with sadness for your brother and you and the rest of your family. I don't know if my prayers are worth much, but I'll say a prayer for his safe return. Just keep in mind, even if he looks the same on the outside when he returns...on the inside, he'll never be the same again.

War does that to people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oil City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Howe murder case not over (Jan '07) Nov '17 Shagger89 48
Who was that easy girl Oct '17 Pmart 1
News Five Franklin residents charged with running co... (Oct '10) Aug '17 Jesus 4
Train Wreck (May '16) Jun '17 ksiemb 2
Heroin is in turning point (Jun '17) Jun '17 No dope 1
Rob sabousky (Apr '17) Apr '17 Babies momma 1
Daisey (Jan '17) Jan '17 NYx 1

Oil City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oil City Mortgages