Dad takes stand against Rogers over t...

Dad takes stand against Rogers over texting charges

There are 3 comments on the CBC News story from Apr 16, 2012, titled Dad takes stand against Rogers over texting charges. In it, CBC News reports that:

Kamloops, B.C., father Alex Dunsmore is refusing to pay for long distance text charges on his Rogers account.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Andrew Cox

Courtice, Canada

#1 Apr 16, 2012
Mr. Dunsmore,

All these big carriers care about is profits not customers. I have battled against them (here in Ontario) on behalf of myself and others in the past and it is ridiculous what they think they can get away with.

The fact that they expect a teenager to recognize an area code as being U.S. when new area codes have been added to the system by the hundreds is incomprehensible.

Further, they have the gall to charge you the early cancellation fee when it is not you that cancelled the contract can be seen as abusive on their part.

As I mentioned at the start all they care about is profits so hit them where it hurts. If you, or your friends or relatives have any services with Rogers (Phone, Cable, Internet, Wireless) cancel everything. There is enough good deals from competitors out there right now that they will usually provide hardware and cover the cancellation charges. For everyone who cancels their Rogers products on your behalf have them send an e-mail to the President at [email protected] and let him know why they are leaving the company's custom.

Good luck.
Ephraim Rogers

Campbell River, Canada

#2 May 1, 2012
Despite my last name, I actually despise Rogers.
Their lack of care for the customer, greedy actions and annoying commercials that depict happy families that switch to Rogers disgust me.
Emily Gardner

Regina, Canada

#3 Jul 1, 2012
An email I recently sent to the local newspaper:

I'm not sure it's worth doing a story on, but media usually steps up to bat when corporations are not assuming responsibility for their actions and I think the LeaderPost would be doing a great service to its readers if it reported on the legality of the charges rogers is slapping their consumers with for replying to messages. I think most Canadians have heard about this man: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbi... who refuses to pay the charges for his son's texting. When I heard this story, I thought that it was a lack of foresight on the part of the parent, but recently I was hit with my own unexpected charges.

After a very frustrating experience speaking to call centre representatives about why I was being charged for sending 390 messages to Oregon, I finally got through to someone who informed me that I was likely replying to messages sent by a friend who was using a third party application that routes messages through numbers in the US. There is no way of knowing that you are texting an american number, by the way, and rogers is taking a general stand and refusing to credit the accounts of those who were unaware, and whose charges amount to the hundreds of dollars.

My story isn't particularly important, but what is important is that people in Regina are aware of a potential expense and can be proactive about it, and that a company can be made more accountable to consumers through the scrutiny of media.

Thank you,
Emily Gardner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Amboy teacher arrested for rape, home invasion (May '11) Aug 9 Anonymous 43
flash Aug 7 fast freddy 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Ohio, IL (Aug '10) May '15 The_Box 22
looking for subs May '15 capnpp 1
Still Hot at 66 Apr '15 Hornyaf 2
connie olivero (Nov '14) Mar '15 eeeeeewwwww 3
dante donati plz contact me (Feb '15) Feb '15 SantiSeven 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ohio Mortgages