Seven prison guards arrested on charges of beating inmate

Feb 21, 2011 Full story: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 37

Seven Georgia prison guards were arrested Monday on charges of beating an inmate, inflicting injuries so severe that the prisoner was in the hospital for "an extended period of time," according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sister

Douglasville, GA

#21 Jan 22, 2012
yall are wrong wrote:
and one more thing! What about the people that were hurt or killed by the inmates that you all are talking so highly about? Do you think they believe the inmate did nothing wrong? Do you think their families are worried about how they are being treated after the crimes they committed to their loved ones? Ask yourselve if your were the victum of the crime that put them in prison and would you care if they did something wrong behind bars and were punished for it?
Not everyone in prison hurt or killed ANYONE! Yes, they all broke the law but you act as if everyone in prison is there due to violence...get real. Anyone who would want to work in prison has to be there for the power trip, otherwise it's just like being in prison yourself...locked up all day with "criminals"....murde rers as you so kindly refer to them...the pay is low so what else could it be but assholes who want a power trip
sister

Douglasville, GA

#22 Jan 22, 2012
goodoldays wrote:
It amazes me. I do not think anyone should be beaten.
However, prison should be like it was back in the day. Maybe if people really feared the prison, they might make an effort to follow the rules of society.
Do I care about the care of a child molester, killer? Do I care about a serial rapist or killer? No, I do not. I think IF they are caught red handed and there is no doubt that the person did it...get the firing squad.
It amazes me how people like you think the only people in prison are rapist, child molesters and murderers....you must lead a charmed life....and with little gratitude it seems.
sister

Douglasville, GA

#23 Jan 22, 2012
tired co wrote:
I can't help but marvel at these idiots that are on the inmates side. Like others have said we are correctional officers, not guards. I don't guard anything. I make sure there is order and the institution and dorms are secure. We aren't given a stick and a set of keys and told "get to it". I bet you idiots didn't know they had big flat panel TVs and X-boxes in the dorms did you? They all get fed. They all have hot water. They live better than some of you do. Wake the fuck up. You feel sorry for murderers and child molesters? If you don't like the way its being done you come do it.
You are so typical...everyone is a murderer and a child molester and you guards, correctional officers, power seekers, whatever you are treat them ALL as if they are. They feed your fat asses pretty well too....I've not seen a guard yet that wasn't at least 100 pounds over weight...yea, your suffering all right.
sister

Douglasville, GA

#24 Jan 22, 2012
yall are wrong wrote:
I worked at Macon State for years. I was not an officers. I saw things from both sides that was not right! I know these officers and their families. They didnt do anything they shouldnt have. The inmates are telling you all things to make life in prison look horrible. They dont get feed old food, they do get hot water, and they my not get a check for their work but they are not paying the bills for the roof over their heads and food in their bodies. They are rewarded for the jobs they do several times a year while the staff is under paid and over worked. You all need to learn the "Inmate Game" before you go around and say things about people you dont know! Inmates at Macon State get treated better then the staff does!
Clearly they hire idiots at Macon State Prison...can't even spell!
wayne

Jefferson, GA

#25 Jan 27, 2012
One of the main problems, and has been for decades, is the "good ol' boy" system that has operated in this state. I am a Georgia Corrections Officer that sort of "happened" into this job, simply because nothing else was available at the time. In the Ga. Dept of Corrections things are still basically run by a bunch of rednecks (even though we have a former commissioner who is black- I am white, by the way). Nepotism is rampant. Many of the higher in rank people are freemasons. Basically idiots are promoted because those at the top don't view them as a threat to their jobs. Officers are given "comp time" instead of overtime. Many are ex-military or Guard or Reserve people that have that government stamp on them, and they do what they are told. I am a citizen FIRST and a CO, SECOND. After all, we are supposed to be government of the people, by the people, for the people, are we not? I could not and would not abuse anyone.
a courageous CO

Milledgeville, GA

#27 Jul 19, 2012
First off, it's not a Correctional Officers job to guard inmates but rather serve the public by effectivly housing offenders, and giving the effective opportunnites to promote change.Everyone seems to be making comments about the prison system but has no idea what goes on behind the gates. All this talk about how bad Georgia's prisons are is sicking. If you don't work behind the gates don't assume. Inmates are in prison for a reason and we all must remember that. Over 65% of all inmates that leave Georgia prisons will return within 2 years, and 90% of inmates have violent crimes or either are sex offenders. If you only knew what 80% of them were really like you might have a different perspective. I see on a daily basis female CO's get disrespected and sexually harrassed, and male CO's as well. If there all so innocent then how'd they get incarcerated in the first place, and if you have some much love for them, then you invite a murder or rapiest into your home,with your kids, and tell me how comforting it is to know their there. Being a Correctional Officer(not a guard) takes a lot of self-discipline, professionalism, HEROISM, and COURAGE. Theres not a lot of people in this world that sacrfice as much as we do on a daily basis. Prisons are like Funeral Homes-Nobody wants to hear nothing from them but every body needs them. I respect all branches of service and law enforcement, BUT when you have a gun on your side that demands respect and builds courage, when you think you have what it takes to step out on a fenced-in yard with 350 inmates and nothing but the hands the good Lord gave you to defend yourself and still correct them THEN COME TALK TO ME ABOUT COURAGE! O and Another point is you always hear the bad, but never the good. What about the violent inmates the DOC has housed and prevented from escaping. Any time you hear about an escape everyone's always anxious for them to be recaptured. If you are on the inmates side so much, then the next time one escapes go argue your case on how horrible prison life is and see where that gets you.
a courageous CO

Milledgeville, GA

#28 Jul 19, 2012
sister wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone in prison hurt or killed ANYONE! Yes, they all broke the law but you act as if everyone in prison is there due to violence...get real. Anyone who would want to work in prison has to be there for the power trip, otherwise it's just like being in prison yourself...locked up all day with "criminals"....murde rers as you so kindly refer to them...the pay is low so what else could it be but assholes who want a power trip
Honestly,Do you really think Prison is a place where people go that broke the law once, sorry thats what jail is for. Going to Prison is earned and theres only one way out, the same way you came in EARNED.Do the crime, do the time. Prisoners are people that have either commited hanous crimes or are habital violaters. People that just can't seem to mend with society. The next time time you see robbery or theft in progress, you lown them money if their so innocent. We perform our duties because we are professionals who set ourselves as authority figures. Hell, If we didn't inmates would be trying to molest and take our lunch money.
sense

Crown Point, IN

#29 Jul 22, 2012
yall are wrong wrote:
I worked at Macon State for years. I was not an officers. I saw things from both sides that was not right! I know these officers and their families. They didnt do anything they shouldnt have. The inmates are telling you all things to make life in prison look horrible. They dont get feed old food, they do get hot water, and they my not get a check for their work but they are not paying the bills for the roof over their heads and food in their bodies. They are rewarded for the jobs they do several times a year while the staff is under paid and over worked. You all need to learn the "Inmate Game" before you go around and say things about people you dont know! Inmates at Macon State get treated better then the staff does!
I find it amazing that you bring up that they are not paying the bills. You are right; but their families pay everyday for their upkeep. Families go broke because the food is so horrid. My state pays $0.18 a meal and then charges outragous prices for commisary. I am a law abiding disabled citizen that has never even had a ticket. The CO'S treat me like %#&*. I can't imagine them treating the inmates any better. And how about the contraband that the CO'S bring in? Drugs, cell phones, coffee, weapons, etc... There is your extra money. And before you say ,"They are prisoners, beat them." remember, 1in99 Americans have been in doc sometime and 1 in 33 Americanshave some dealing with the criminal justice system. So be careful what you wish for.
sense

Crown Point, IN

#30 Jul 22, 2012
sister wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so typical...everyone is a murderer and a child molester and you guards, correctional officers, power seekers, whatever you are treat them ALL as if they are. They feed your fat asses pretty well too....I've not seen a guard yet that wasn't at least 100 pounds over weight...yea, your suffering all right.
I dont know what prison you work at, but I do know that even in this heat, a certain prison i know has no ac and the vistors room celling is falling and windows broken and no water as we speak. I know this because I was there. I have sent books that were never recieved and put money on books that was never given to inmates. Again you prove my point; calling us idiots and telling us to shut the #%&* up only proves you are on a power trip. So Mr. CO from hell, descibe what just how you are "correcting" so that inmates are a productive member of society? And before you call me some inmate's hoe, don't forget about the female CO'S making a lil on the side in the broom closets. You are vile, guard!
sense

Crown Point, IN

#31 Jul 22, 2012
a courageous CO wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly,Do you really think Prison is a place where people go that broke the law once, sorry thats what jail is for. Going to Prison is earned and theres only one way out, the same way you came in EARNED.Do the crime, do the time. Prisoners are people that have either commited hanous crimes or are habital violaters. People that just can't seem to mend with society. The next time time you see robbery or theft in progress, you lown them money if their so innocent. We perform our duties because we are professionals who set ourselves as authority figures. Hell, If we didn't inmates would be trying to molest and take our lunch money.
You do NOT know what you are talking about! Jail is for those who are waiting to go to trial. Even the first offense can land you in prison. Get your facts straight!!
People believe anything

Mcdonough, GA

#32 Sep 22, 2012
You said it yourself. The place is nasty and the food is cold. And who do you think should be responsible for cleaning it. Officers? I think not! They do not live there. Families want to complain about how nasty a prison is and how poor the food is. Guess what. Inmates are the ones cleaning and cooking. So tell your lazy ass relatives in prison to get off their ass and take care of themselves like they are suppose to.
ex_ga_guard

Milledgeville, GA

#33 Oct 15, 2012
some inmates deserve to get beat to a pulp and i was more than willing to oblidge them with a "motorola tattoo" when the situation arose..if a inmate came at me or got in my personal space he would get popped right in the forehead with a motorola walkie talkie..you could actually see big m of the logo imprinted in their head.
Ex Correctional Officer

United States

#34 Apr 30, 2013
To all the ones who believe these are angels behind bars...Try to be a correctional officer one day...99% wouldn't come back to do that job. Ya'll are just clueless and ignorant to the fact that when those officers go through that gate they go in to do a job and that is protect the public from the offenders as well as themselves, coworkers, and other inmates. You pray that everything goes well everyday, but you never know what may happen in a level 5 prison. When one of your fellow officers has been hurt your emotions are everywhere. Its not right to beat on people no but Correctional officers have a bond to look out for one another too. I say put yourself in the C.O.'s shoes one day I guarantee your view will change.
billie long

Nashville, GA

#35 Dec 7, 2014
Ex Correctional Officer wrote:
To all the ones who believe these are angels behind bars...Try to be a correctional officer one day...99% wouldn't come back to do that job. Ya'll are just clueless and ignorant to the fact that when those officers go through that gate they go in to do a job and that is protect the public from the offenders as well as themselves, coworkers, and other inmates. You pray that everything goes well everyday, but you never know what may happen in a level 5 prison. When one of your fellow officers has been hurt your emotions are everywhere. Its not right to beat on people no but Correctional officers have a bond to look out for one another too. I say put yourself in the C.O.'s shoes one day I guarantee your view will change.
You are so right. I put in almost 15 yrs. in Corrections--10 + at a level 5 prison. There are some COs who let it go to heir heads, and they are weeded out or, as has happened at Macon State Prison in Ga., They cross the line, get caught, and pay for it. Now they'll see how it feels to be on the "Other side of the fence"
Elbert

Douglasville, GA

#36 Dec 8, 2014
Hopefully these "guards" will be held accountable and serve time in the same prison.
Our entire system is out of control. "Corectional institutes are reminiscent of war prison camps.
Illinois peace officer

Chicago, IL

#37 Jan 11, 2015
Before you are so quick to throw the officers under the bus make sure that you know the fact and the history of inmate (alleged victim) if the inmate has a history of battery to staff then guess what,

Officers don't have to wait to get hit!!!!
Which means exercise resistance to force with extreme prejudice!!!!

Sick of all the arm chair quarterback journalist, who can't wait to pursue and damn law enforcement agencies

Everyone wants law and order but only if it's sanitized.....please!!!!!
robbie

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#38 Jan 12, 2015
interesting

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oglethorpe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Racist Walmart Employees Unpunished after... (Jul '13) Mar 2 amberrose 33
interesting Mar 1 not there yet 1
The Devil Fled Down to GA (Dec '09) Mar 1 meca 426
Talent scout now charged with scamming six clients (Aug '08) Mar 1 Friendly fire 454
Andres Felipe Blackburn Cardona Feb 28 Colombiana 1
interesting Feb 28 ahimsa 1
Interracial Dating (Feb '13) Feb 27 jtr304 19

Flood Warning for Macon County was issued at March 05 at 9:45AM EST

Oglethorpe Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oglethorpe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News