Massena mayor: It's time to reform so...

Massena mayor: It's time to reform social services benefits

There are 8 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Sep 23, 2012, titled Massena mayor: It's time to reform social services benefits. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

Massena Mayor James F. Hidy said he thinks St. Lawrence County could cut some of its costs by providing social services benefits only to the people who need it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

Say what

Fulton, NY

#1 Sep 26, 2012
St Lawrence county is the third highest unemployment in new York state , were are the jobs were did all the factories go , probably overseas to cheap labor unfair wages , greasy corporations wanting to make more profit an corrupt politions giving tax breaks to the company's to move over seas ...... An then you have this mayor talkin out his butt , saying people need to find non existant jobs an get off welfare . This mayor needs to lose the cushy job he has so he can see just how few jobs there are. Hay Mayer I think mcdonalds is hiring !!
abuse

Auburn, NY

#2 Sep 26, 2012
He is talking about the ones abusing the system that do nothing to help themselves except stick their hands out for their whole lives asking everyone else to support them. Social services is meant to give you a helping hand until you get on your feet. It is not meant to support you your whole life while you never do anything to find a job. I know jobs are slim around here but a lot of these people never even fill out an application and even try to get a job, and that needs to stop. They have money for booze, cigs, drugs, and enough money to feed their pitbulls but not enough to feed their own self or their kids, that is complete BS and that is what the Mayor is talking about. There are plenty of community service jobs they could be doing to earn their welfare check and this would keep high paid town and village employees doing more important jobs. Village and town employees should not be painting fire hydrants, mowing the sides of roads, picking up trash, etc. There are also plenty of senior citizens that could use help with mowing, leaves, tree trimming, painting and general repairs and can't afford to hire someone to have it done. They could volunteer at the salvation army, st vincent de pauls, meals on wheels, neighborhood center, senior citizen center, cemetaries, etc. There are a ton of things these people could be doing in order to earn their welfare benefits, which might also encourage them to look for a real job if they are going to have to work anyway. There is a lot of able bodied young punks in Massena doing absolutely nothing but thinking of ways to scam the system. PUT THEM TO WORK!!!
abuse

Auburn, NY

#3 Sep 26, 2012
How about we round up a bunch of them and have them beautify downtown by sweeping sidewalks, washing windows, painting, etc. Or taking care of springs park, veterans memorial park, wooden playground, etc. why are we paying highly paid village and town employees to do those basic things that anyone can do. Maybe what they saved in salaries to do those mundane jobs they could put toward paving more streets in Massena that desperately need it. Plus the welfare recipients would be gaining job skills and experience and could use that on a job application for a real job. It's no different than prisons putting their populations to work to earn their keep and keep prison costs down. Welfare recipients could also be earning their keep and keeping village and town costs down, they're not doing anything all day anyways, so they're available. And women on welfare with several children could be babysitting so other welfare recipients could be available for work and that way they could earn the keep of their 4 to 6 children.
internet lynch mob

Rome, NY

#4 Sep 26, 2012
Welfare recipients are no better than criminals and should be treated accordingly!

That's what you people sound like.
abuse

Auburn, NY

#5 Sep 26, 2012
internet lynch mob wrote:
Welfare recipients are no better than criminals and should be treated accordingly!
That's what you people sound like.
They should have to earn their keep like everyone else and work for their benefits. If they had to work, like I said above, they would be more eager to go out and get a real job and be a productive member of society instead of being lazy and being a drain on society their whole lives. Remember the biblical saying: give a man a fish feed him for a day teach a man to fish feed him for life. We need to stop coddling these people and make them earn their benefits instead of handing them out for nothing. You would see a lot less welfare recipients that way. Welfare was orginally instituted for widows of the war that had no way to support their kids, now that their husbands were killed at war. It has spiraled way out of control and needs to be reined back in.
localguy12

La Fayette, NY

#6 Sep 26, 2012
I got laid off a while ago. I am still collecting my unemployment, but a stipulation of my unemployment is that I am NOT allowed to volunteer my time to any of the places mentioned above. If I am caught volunteering, I lose a day of UIB for the time I spent there, so for the last 6 months I could have been doing so much good (and wanted to) but I can't live on any less than I am already getting. How much sense does this make???
abuse

Auburn, NY

#7 Sep 26, 2012
localguy12 wrote:
I got laid off a while ago. I am still collecting my unemployment, but a stipulation of my unemployment is that I am NOT allowed to volunteer my time to any of the places mentioned above. If I am caught volunteering, I lose a day of UIB for the time I spent there, so for the last 6 months I could have been doing so much good (and wanted to) but I can't live on any less than I am already getting. How much sense does this make???
We are not talking about unemploymnet, we are talking about welfare. You earned your unemployment benefits and welfare recipients need to earn their benefits also. The reason they don't want you volunteering is to combat fraud, you could say you were volunteering to put your friends roof on for him while actually getting paid for it. You are right though, civic non profit orginizations should not count, and it would be helping the poor and the needy people at the same time. The more help from community volunteers the less the state and county have to pay to help the poor and the needy. Meals on Wheels drivers are all volunteer, if they had to pay them for their time and gas there would not be a Meals on Wheels program and look how many seniors are helped through that program. Volunteering keeps these orginizations' cost down, so they are able to continue providing services. I don't see why welfare recipients could not be working in the kitchen cooking and packaging meals up and cleaning up to earn their benefits and help the community they are draining from. Or how about a community garden solely taken care of by welfare recipients and the produce goes to the poor and the needy. There are a million ideas people could come up with. Let's hear some other ideas, please post them here. Tax payers would not be so upset about paying for welfare if the recipients atleast tried to give back even a little. See, I just thought of another one, how about welfare recipients who have driver's licenses volunteer to drive seniors and disabled veterans to their Dr. appointments, grocery store, pharmacy, bank, etc., using the senior's or disabled veteran's car or get reimbursed for milage from the seniors, disabled veterans, or welfare. Wouldn't you feel better knowing your tax dollars spent on welfare were helping the community instead of hindering it.
abuse

Auburn, NY

#8 Sep 26, 2012
Or how about they go around to needy seniors' or poor people's houses and clean up their properties. Get rid of any junk or trash on the outside, mow, rake, trim trees and bushes, paint, wash windows, seal drive ways, etc. Wouldn't that make the community look a whole lot better and none of this requires a lot of skill only a willingness to earn your keep and be a productive member of your community. Or how about doing janitorial work at all the non profit orginizations. It would prevent them from paying for those services and they could take that money and spend it on helping more people. And trust me, once the welfare recipients realized they were going to have to work anyways they would run right out and get paying jobs. The few weeks or months they did get benefits until they could find a paying job, they could help their community be a better place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ogdensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
J lynch 4 hr Just curious 1
Derek Denny still selling And a fat stripper at... 6 hr Just 2
Haunted locations in the area (Jan '12) 10 hr Love it 48
Did Dawn L have a child? Feb 20 Just 1
News Ogdensburg woman arrested on a warrant in Gouve... Feb 20 GBman86 1
Rapist among SLPC staff Feb 18 lorna 11
The FBI rat (Jun '13) Feb 17 Eman Resu 11

Ogdensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance