Horse killed in Heuvelton car-buggy crash

There are 28 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Jan 10, 2013, titled Horse killed in Heuvelton car-buggy crash. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

The driver of an Amish buggy was injured and his horse killed after the vehicle was struck from behind by a car Thursday evening, firefighters at the scene said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hmm

Lake Placid, NY

#1 Jan 10, 2013
ofc it was dark. damn amish need to get home before nightfall. wah.
law

Hermon, NY

#2 Jan 10, 2013
yes its time the Dam state of new york does somthing i have came so close to hitting one of these also you cant see these buggies at all in the dark, there lights suck. we are here ing more and more accident everyday . come on its time to enforce some laws on these guys or if they dont want to obide then they should be at fault not us.
unknown

Boston, MA

#3 Jan 11, 2013
its funny ppl can go after the amish like with the shit they say at the stores but in the end its just as much the fault of all of us i drive by the amish every day and have no problem seeing there lights wake up and pay attention u cant use the roads as ur personal speedway its like telling the person that gets hit by a car on a bike or walking etc that they shouldnt be out after dark u know how many times in hermon that ive almost hit kids at night on bikes that are riding on the side of the rd the day they do something with the amish they should go give tickets to every parent thats not watching there kids after 8 pm in the winter and 9 in the summer if ur paying attention u can see the amish buggy the min u look away is when things happen
nobody cares

Ogdensburg, NY

#4 Jan 11, 2013
law wrote:
yes its time the Dam state of new york does somthing i have came so close to hitting one of these also you cant see these buggies at all in the dark, there lights suck. we are here ing more and more accident everyday . come on its time to enforce some laws on these guys or if they dont want to obide then they should be at fault not us.
Let's just leave things the way they are. If we hit 4 or 5 more, then I would think that they would want to put better lighting on thier little black buggies. Screw'em, if they don't want to look out for themself's, then we shouldn't look out for them either. This goes both ways. One would think, that the Amish would have thier own meeting and fix thier problem. It is up to the Amish to fix this, not the state.
taxpayer

Bronx, NY

#5 Jan 11, 2013
I'm just going.g go him them and leave just like any other wild animal. They don't pay registration. Insurance. Inspection. Or abide by any traffic rules that we have to. F..k em if they wanna roam the roads at night in a pitch black buggy. Run em down. If they hit you who pays for the damage?
taxpayer

Bronx, NY

#6 Jan 11, 2013
Our money for registration and inspection pays for roads to be built and maintained do the way I see it the have no right to fun those steel wheeled buggys that do so much damage down. roads they don't have s nickel in. Run them down
lila

Ogdensburg, NY

#7 Jan 11, 2013
I cant believe the driver of the car actually got a tixket for following to close. What tickets did the amish drive get for a poorly lit buggy. Or no insurance. Yet we have to hane any atv or snowmobile registered and insured but they dont have to have any thing on a buggy. How does that protect us if they make a turn and we have the right away and we hit them. And we get seriously injured. A bunch of bullshit.
Hoosier boy

Elkhart, IN

#8 Jan 12, 2013
unknown wrote:
its funny ppl can go after the amish like with the shit they say at the stores but in the end its just as much the fault of all of us i drive by the amish every day and have no problem seeing there lights wake up and pay attention u cant use the roads as ur personal speedway its like telling the person that gets hit by a car on a bike or walking etc that they shouldnt be out after dark u know how many times in hermon that ive almost hit kids at night on bikes that are riding on the side of the rd the day they do something with the amish they should go give tickets to every parent thats not watching there kids after 8 pm in the winter and 9 in the summer if ur paying attention u can see the amish buggy the min u look away is when things happen
Yup, the voice of experience!
Hey Intellects

East Syracuse, NY

#9 Jan 12, 2013
The rules that they follow are the same ones you do. The lights are the ones that follow laws here and it was the driver of the CAR that was ticketed, not the Amish.

This is not a case of anyone being at fault but the driver of the car who did not stop and hit the cart. Then left the scene. Then came back and claimed they were hurt. Hmmm....

Perhaps, it should be the drivers who do not pay attention to what is along the road who should not be driving after dark?

And "Nobody cares." Got news for you. If it were your child(friend or other family member) who had ben hit, you would care. In fact, you would probably be running to your lawyer to sue the puppies out of the driver. Funny thing that the Amish driver won't.

Taxpayer- So does theirs. They do pay their property taxes and county land taxes for the same reason you do. If they don't, it gets sold.... Get facts before spouting that garbage. Their money also supports your school when their children do not attend it. AND big news, they do not get so much as a cent of state aide for their school. GEE not even a lunch program. And you sit there complaining about marks left on the surface of th road. Really?

I am so glad that there are people out here who have better things to do and more brain power than to blindly believe people who want nothing more than to create hatred toward one group of people. Wake up. The whole Natzi-Jew thing is over and guess what? Americans learned from the experience.
spam

Buffalo, NY

#10 Jan 12, 2013
spam
one love

Utica, NY

#11 Jan 13, 2013
hit the dumb a$$es and keep driving. they will call the cops from there cell phones because they all have them! its funny how the swindlers all preach about religion and they break their own rules every time they turn around. they deserve to get hit to make up for all of the accidents they have gotten into and out of scott free that were really there fault in the past! what if i made a new religion in wich i dont believe in insuring my vehicle? ha ha good luck to me
nobody cares

Ogdensburg, NY

#12 Jan 14, 2013
And "Nobody cares." Got news for you. If it were your child(friend or other family member) who had ben hit, you would care. In fact, you would probably be running to your lawyer to sue the puppies out of the driver. Funny thing that the Amish driver won't.
Wrong, I would have been smart enough to put a light on something black so that it could be seen at night. I would have taught my kids not to play near the road. If the Amish driver does not want to sue then that is on them, not me. If the amish want to be out in the dark then it is up to them, to make sure they are visiable. That is just common sense. Why should they be allowed to pick and choose what laws they want to enforce and which they do not. I could have tailights on my car that are dim, and I would get a ticket for inaddaquite lights, however the Amish can just put a candle inside of a small lantern, hang it on thier buggies, and say OK, now watch out for me. The Amish have to take responsibilty for thier own actions, and have a meeting and that starts out with " we are dieing like this, we have to do something about it. Let's amend OUR laws and make it so that we can put, at least lots of reflective tape on the back of out buggies, so we can all get home safely. Because it is a so called religion, the the state of NY can not do anything about it. It is thier religion, it is thier laws, it is them that cannot be seen at night, it is them that are getting hit. If they do not want to take responsibly for what they do, then that is on them. And you know what, if I was to hit one of them in the middle of the night, because I couldn't see them, you bet your ass I would sue, because it is something that is easy to fix. I would take thier farm. If you don't like it to bad, it is what I would do. They need to quite hidding behind religion, and do the RIGHT THING. The reason that the Amish won't sue is because they know they are wrong.
I gotta say it

East Syracuse, NY

#13 Jan 16, 2013
I really could give a rat's backside for what you think. My statement was and still is that it is ignorant to sit there and urge people to hurt others to make a point.
I am glad that your biased mentality is not followed by many and at the same time saddened by the fact that it will probably be passed along to your children.
Accusing the Amish of hiding in their religion is funny to me. I think that is a good place to be hiding since, doing that, keeps them from spouting the same type of hate-mongering that I see in this article.
Simply put, you live here. You know the carts that are being driven along the road are legal and that at times, they can be hard to see. Slow down and pay attention while you are driving.
Deer do not come with tail lights. Maybe we ought to make a law for them. So if you hit one of them, maybe since they aren't insured, by your own statement, you should be able to sue the state?
I don't see any anti-deer posts here encouraging people to run them down and kill their fawns. Nope and no "lets kill the skunks" or "run down the coydogs" post either. Just this little "let's target the Amish" post. Leaves me feeling kinda sad. Like I said in my other post, "The whole Natzi-Jew thing is over and guess what? Americans learned from the experience. "
the bottom line

Ogdensburg, NY

#14 Jan 16, 2013
Their beliefs are ok, its how they live. When the buggy wheels hit the blacktop they need to abide by a different set of rules. I buy from Amish and spoke with them on many occasions. They are interesting people. Hard workers to say the least, but, I side with the people who say they need to make the buggies more visible. The really sad thing is this. It will take an accident where a car full of children and the parents are wiped out trying to avoid a accident with a buggy driven by some young kids before the State steps in because of a law suit filed by some other family member. It will eventually happen.
unknown wrote:
Former Heuvelton resident

Pawtucket, RI

#15 Jan 28, 2013
First... who is teaching English in Heuvelton? Not Mrs. Hendee I see. Second... the laws should state religious beliefs do not take precedent over moving vehicle laws. Moving vehicles are not religious and can not claim to be, so anyone driving any vehicle on a road should abide by law!
Danger

Lake Placid, NY

#16 Jan 30, 2013
20 family's just moved up here from penn because they were forced to install septic systems and they don't have to here what a reason to relocate. Then you see them taking taxi rides in ogdensburg ha ha
unknown

Liverpool, NY

#17 Jan 31, 2013
one love wrote:
hit the dumb a$$es and keep driving. they will call the cops from there cell phones because they all have them! its funny how the swindlers all preach about religion and they break their own rules every time they turn around. they deserve to get hit to make up for all of the accidents they have gotten into and out of scott free that were really there fault in the past! what if i made a new religion in wich i dont believe in insuring my vehicle? ha ha good luck to me

as being u think like this but if we hit ur mother or sister/brother father etc we should just keep driving right because there dumb asses shouldnt be going out to get there mail on the side of the rd u would be right on that cell phone calling the cops when its not the amishs fault its the drivers that fuck around in there cars oh lets play with the radio or lets text or call someone with are cell phones lol before u judge someone look in ur back yard look at what u have done
Former Heuvelton resident

Pawtucket, RI

#18 Jan 31, 2013
There is a difference between a walk to a mailbox and a trip down the road on a buggy with unsafe visibility. The state could make sh_tload (seriously) of money if they fined horse owners for each patty or wafer of dung left on the road or roadside!
unknown

Melrose, MA

#19 Feb 3, 2013
Former Heuvelton resident wrote:
There is a difference between a walk to a mailbox and a trip down the road on a buggy with unsafe visibility. The state could make sh_tload (seriously) of money if they fined horse owners for each patty or wafer of dung left on the road or roadside!

that would be like telling farmers that if they have to pass cows across the rd they will be fined if there cow shits on the rd lol u know how many farmers would tell the state to kiss there ass and sell out lolthe amish pay more taxes then we do i know a few that live on 184 that have 60 achers and pay over 6 to 9 thousand in taxes when others in the same area that build new building only pay between 4 to 6 thousand for 60 to 80 acher plots with a new house a garage etc whats wrong with that figure so we go after the amish that if they where to move all are taxes would go up lol i remember last yr a person was hit on 184 2 mils from the town and the person got a good charge where the guy that hit the horse and buggy got hardly nothing where i think thats wron and if ppl want to go after the amish maybe we should do the same with the ones going after the amish next car i see with one head light ill just hit it and say oh i didnt see it lol
ha ha

Kirkville, NY

#20 Feb 4, 2013
the state charges them more taxes for what they do to the road and they use cash for everything! they dont have social security numbers no file tax returns. they would crumble if they had to follow the rules of the common man

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ogdensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The new mix is up! "Michael gets Mad - The Joy ... (Jun '12) 11 hr gofackyeself 4
Hostile Workplace: Everybody Wants to Rule 11 hr gofackyeself 3
News Ogdensburg man accused of neglecting dogs (Dec '13) 14 hr hairpie 9
Queen of Control: World Collapsing ? May 22 Root Cause Analysis 2
Topix Moderator Deleting All Threads? May 22 Reporter 5
Girl, 12, committed suicide after being bullied... May 16 Teacher Abuse 1
More from around the web

Ogdensburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]