First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Crazy O

Saranac Lake, NY

#1 Jan 3, 2013
Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. Whatís the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. Itís no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?
check the numbers

Ogdensburg, NY

#2 Jan 3, 2013
Crazy O wrote:
Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. Whatís the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. Itís no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?
Where did you get your figures, this can not be true. I know of a family, that only gets 362.00 per month. There is something wrong with the math here. 50,000 per year is an lot of money, hell CO's don't make that much money, untill they are ready to retire.
Crazy O

Saranac Lake, NY

#3 Jan 3, 2013
Are you serious? I have two CO friends of mine that make well over $50,000....and they have less than 20 years on. The point is....if you add all of the benefits up...not just cash...people on welfare are doing pretty damn good in this country. And for the record, as stated, these figures are from the Senate Budget Committee for the fiscal year 2011. There is a disconnect in this country now with regards to working for your stuff and getting free stuff from others. It seems to me that most people would rather take the free stuff than to go out and earn an honest living. So sad...
nobody cares

Ogdensburg, NY

#4 Jan 3, 2013
Crazy O wrote:
Are you serious? I have two CO friends of mine that make well over $50,000....and they have less than 20 years on. The point is....if you add all of the benefits up...not just cash...people on welfare are doing pretty damn good in this country. And for the record, as stated, these figures are from the Senate Budget Committee for the fiscal year 2011. There is a disconnect in this country now with regards to working for your stuff and getting free stuff from others. It seems to me that most people would rather take the free stuff than to go out and earn an honest living. So sad...
Well it looks like more people will be quiting there jobs, just so they can get a raise in income. I guess, I can't blame them. I have a very good friend who is a C.O. and he only makes 43.000.
Mikey

Bath, NY

#5 Jan 3, 2013
That's good money for babysitting. Add in the benefits and it's a great job.
nobody cares

Ogdensburg, NY

#6 Jan 3, 2013
Mikey wrote:
That's good money for babysitting. Add in the benefits and it's a great job.
Correct.
Interesting guy

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jan 3, 2013
nobody cares wrote:
<quoted text>Correct.
Friend, he wants you to WORK for your disability check. People like him think you are a free-loading lazy citizen who refuses to work. Friend, it's interesting how you can defend a person who wants to take away your disability checks. People like him would say if you can log onto your PC all day, you can also work as well. In fact, we have allot of citizens up here who feel this way, friend...
Officer Farva

Hammond, NY

#8 Jan 4, 2013
Crazy O wrote:
How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.How about you Ogd scumbags get some jobs.
guy

Utica, NY

#9 Jan 4, 2013
its all obamas fault! he hands out all of the benefits to these leaches. I am 23 yrs old and never collected benefits and dont understand how people use the system. If you need to get wick to pay for your kids milk and baby food then your not a fit parent and should not have a child! simple as that. who the fu*k relies on the govt to pay for there food, rent, medical bills, etc? i know scumb*gs do! dont any of you have pride? how does it feel knowing if the govt wasnt there to rely on you would be a helpless pile living under a bridge starving? the way our money system is any day now these services could crash and you will all be sorry.dont think this will happen?let me put this in dirtb*g language for you. Lets say you front a bunch of drugs from the black man up the street. you refuse to pay him the $1000 you owe him and just try to forget it. one night someone with a mack breaks in and rapes your wife in front of you and kills you both. Right now america is at the try and forget about it stage. all in all i cant wait until the day when things change and the leaches die off and the herd working man will prevail! KEEP WOPRKING FELLOW WORKERS THINGS WILL GET BETTER we just need to let the govt know where we stand. even if we dont make more money when its all said and done hopefully we wont have to watch all of these pices of sh*t live off us for free.
Burt

Middleport, NY

#10 Jan 4, 2013
Blame the politicians. The reason for all of this can be traced back to your leaders.
guy

Utica, NY

#11 Jan 4, 2013
thats what my paragraph is all about burt. duh? you are so smart!
AND

Bath, NY

#12 Jan 4, 2013
You said obama, The problems of today were started along time ago and the political leaders knew exactly what was going to happen. Did you actually think this all just came about within the last couple of years.
Now lets see if you can give a few examples of why things turned out like this.
workfare

Pulaski, NY

#13 Jan 4, 2013
AND wrote:
You said obama, The problems of today were started along time ago and the political leaders knew exactly what was going to happen. Did you actually think this all just came about within the last couple of years.
Now lets see if you can give a few examples of why things turned out like this.
You can't really say that people that do workfare are being freeloaders. They are working for their benefits. I know because I USED to do work fare when i was down and out looking for work. The only ones that leach off the system is the ones that great gramma, gramma mom and dad and the next generation. My greats, gram, mom and dad all worked, in fact own their own business.
I don't feel bad for collecting welfare for the short time i did, because sometimes you have to do what you have to do to raise your child. I took advantage to get my GED, and a great paying job today, haven't been on welfare in over 8 yrs. that makes me proud. I went to classes for GED in the Am and worked work fare in the afternoon. Have a Happy New Year, i know i am
FACT CHECKER

Ogdensburg, NY

#14 Jan 5, 2013
Crazy O-I think the report you're referring to is this one; http://budget.senate.gov/republican/public/in...

1)However, you didn't include everything that was included in what is considered "welfare." It is not just what the government spends on Food Stamps, Medicaid, Cash Assistance & housing assistance as we commonly think of "welfare." The report included 83 programs including many block grants for health care screenings & prevention including family planning services, money for public health centers, HIV screening, maternal & child health programs, and many others.

It also includes educational spending including education grants for adult learning (you know programs to give people job skills so they get off unemployment & state assistance), the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (a grant for undergraduate students who come from poor backgrounds), federal work study (college kids working through college are such "moochers"), Pell grants, educational funding for homeless children, and several other educational programs. Not how I would classify "welfare" which is a replacement term for "charity." Shouldn't these expenditures be grouped with healthcare expenditures & education expenditures respectively?

2) This report also included many programs that working families receive. So this is not $ that is being spent on "moochers" and people who don't work. For instance my father worked his entire adult life, my mother worked most of her except for a few years when we were very little. I recognize several programs on this list especially since all federal financial aid except for loans is considered "welfare" according to this report.

3) This report also includes TAX CREDITS and not actual spending. It includes the additional child tax credit and earned income credit (which you can only get if you work btw.) There are many other tax credits that business & wealthy individuals get and they add up to a lot more than these 2 tax credits.

4) This report also includes monies given not to individuals but to communities & states (like ours) including improving teacher quality state grants, water & waste disposal for rural communities, public works & economic development, community development block grants and several others.

The programs that were included on this list only seem to have one thread in common,$ spent on people not currently making 6 figures a year. And even then I"m sure the water & waste disposal for rural communities program benefits everyone who lives in those communities and surely there are a few upper income brackets.

This report is very misleading and was written this way by the minority party in the Senate (Jeff Sessions a Republican Senator from Alabama)to promote his agenda. Knowledge is valuable but you need to know your sources and the data and draw your own conclusions because people will skew numbers to make you believe what they want you to believe.

So don't go crying that people who don't work make more money than people who do because they don't. I know people who are unemployed and wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
FACT CHECKER

Ogdensburg, NY

#15 Jan 5, 2013
Also, it should be pointed out the $168 includes all costs incurred by the federal government to deliver benefits, including administrative costs.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/201...
FACT CHECKER

Ogdensburg, NY

#16 Jan 5, 2013
Also I'd like to point out that people who work probably do so to support themselves and seek the job with the highest pay that they are qualified for, which goes against the idea of "mooching." The facts are this a high school graduate in the 1970s was able to secure a job that met the cost of living and needed little to no public assistance to get by. Today in 2012 a high school graduate with a family who works at Wal-Mart requires taxpayer money for healthcare, food, housing, etc. to the average cost of a $2,100 a year. Wal-Mart even pays more than minimum wage but still does not pay a living wage. People are working hard to better themselves and to provide for their families, what more can they do than that? If employers paid a living wage and large corporations stopped being coddled by the government (we are essentially subsidizing their employment costs)then working people wouldn't have to receive money from the government for basic needs.
Interesting guy

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jan 5, 2013
Well, if you sell illicit drugs you will make more than someone who works making 10 per hour. However, you will also land in jail or prison and will have to put down your criminal history when applying for that Walmart job you turned down to sell drugs....

"Waterville, NY"... This is where "nobody cares" hunts for low self-esteem women and trolls in his mother's basement.

I suspect this is our good friend with a different name and has used MS Word spell-checker compared to his other posts.

Good points to defend people living on disability. Hey friend, you have a supporter in me who does not complain about those living off of food stamps, disability, etc.

As human beings we fall down and I am fortunate NYS cares about its citizens enough to have shelters, decent social service agencies, and other things to help those in need compared to other states.

Nobody cares, you don't have to defend yourself. Live healthy and happy. You are my favorite troll.
FACT CHECKER

Ogdensburg, NY

#18 Jan 5, 2013
I'm not nobody cares. Nobody cares accused me of being somebody else on the "Doctor Harris AND lagobo" thread, ask him! I'm the same person as "it is everywhere." Waterville, NY comes up because I'm using the 3G network to post, perhaps nobody cares does as well. I change my name and don't use my real name because I'm passionate about issues and love discussing them. Only rarely do I comment on threads about individuals and only then to defend family and loved ones. On a forum like this one people attack people when they can't attack their ideas so I hide my identity like many others. I only post because sometimes you can find people like yourself "interesting guy" that can you can discuss issues with. I've tried to lead a good life but have made mistakes in my youth that I don't want all over the internet for future employers to read nor do I want my family & loved ones to get attacked.
guy

Utica, NY

#19 Jan 5, 2013
fact checker you look like a huge dirtb*g trying to rationalize why benefits are good. if someone works at walmart and cant afford everything maby they should get another job! its not the taxpayers ordeal to worry about you a$$! get a life and stop thinking anyone owes you because they dont!dirtb*g!
guy

Utica, NY

#20 Jan 5, 2013
reply to "AND". obama is totally at fault he has lied to the american people about everything! he passes unconstitional executive orders while we are sleeping at night. also he has made the fony war on terror much bigger and has continued to drive us into the ground! there are my most simple examples for you no give me and example where he has not lied? how about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ogdensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Micro(chip)Management 3 hr The Has Bens 7
Who is cheating at Acco? 6 hr Curious 1
Who is cheating at Ansen? 6 hr Curious 1
Employee Morale Tue Critical Care Less 4
Dear Topix Moderator Mon Editor got fired 9
Workplace Gaslighting Mar 28 Supervised Sabotage 3
Narcissistic Personality Disorder, The Dark Triad Mar 26 Revolves Around Them 1
Ogdensburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web