Massena mayor: It's time to reform so...

Massena mayor: It's time to reform social services benefits

There are 44 comments on the Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal story from Sep 22, 2012, titled Massena mayor: It's time to reform social services benefits. In it, Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal reports that:

Massena Mayor James F. Hidy said he thinks the county could cut some of its costs by providing social services benefits only to the people who need it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
beeroclock

Massena, NY

#1 Sep 22, 2012
how many jobs have come to massena? good paying jobs? NONE! thats what is wrong with massena thats why we have crime and people walking the streets and on drugs and drunk all the time. never mind the dog poop hidy get some decent paying jobs in this town!
puhleeese

Massena, NY

#2 Sep 22, 2012
Hidy sounds like just another suburban redneck: willing to bitch about the problem but unwilling to do any work to fix it.
talkthetalk

New York, NY

#4 Sep 22, 2012
Theres jobs out there people just dont want to work for their keep anymore they.d rather have handouts. Jobs dont come knocking on your door you have to go and apply . Its that easy.
Agreed

Utica, NY

#6 Sep 22, 2012
I agree...there ARE jobs out there. Might not be everything you wanted...but its something to support your family and to gain a little self respect rather than living off the system. Most ppl just don't want to work, they want the freebies and complain when they don't get enough of them.

As far as people committing crime and on drugs, I am SO SICK of hearing about this and that its from lack of jobs and things to do. NO!, It's due to scumbag idiots choosing to do the wrong thing. We ALL have a choice, I chose to work and not be on welfare, I also chose to stay off drugs and not commit any crimes. There's the same amount of things to do for me as everyone else using this excuse, yet I CHOOSE NOT to do any of those bad things. And if you don't like the area....simple solution....GET OUT! Otherwise, make the best of it....WORK, DONT DO THE CRIME and STAY OFF DRUGS.
yes

Rome, NY

#7 Sep 22, 2012
Agreed wrote:
I agree...there ARE jobs out there. Might not be everything you wanted...but its something to support your family and to gain a little self respect rather than living off the system. Most ppl just don't want to work, they want the freebies and complain when they don't get enough of them.

As far as people committing crime and on drugs, I am SO SICK of hearing about this and that its from lack of jobs and things to do. NO!, It's due to scumbag idiots choosing to do the wrong thing. We ALL have a choice, I chose to work and not be on welfare, I also chose to stay off drugs and not commit any crimes. There's the same amount of things to do for me as everyone else using this excuse, yet I CHOOSE NOT to do any of those bad things. And if you don't like the area....simple solution....GET OUT! Otherwise, make the best of it....WORK, DONT DO THE CRIME and STAY OFF DRUGS.
Amen!
Honestly

Marietta, NY

#8 Sep 23, 2012
There really aren't too many jobs out there! I agree something needs to be done, but we need to create jobs first, there is nothing here. Wouldn't it be great to work at McDonald's and have to maintain a vehicle and pay for gas also. Hmm...sounds like you will still need government assistance.
totally

Auburn, NY

#9 Sep 23, 2012
i agree with you there are some jobs but not nearly enough creating jobs should be a prioriy then you will see less need for social service programs
lazy asses

Raymond, NH

#10 Sep 23, 2012
If u don't wanna work at mcdonalds then go do some yard work. I was 13 going door to door asking if people needed any yard work done. My father raised 3 kids and a stay at home wife who took care of them kids. We never used the system. I wanted money so I worked n got it. You people bitch about no work its easy to sit att home n cry. Instead of sitting there crying go out look for a job. Mcdonalds is a start. Atleast u will get a weekly cash flow
I pay for you

Sauquoit, NY

#11 Sep 23, 2012
No ambition, free loading, scumbags who pass the tradition on down to their 12 kids.... so sick of you welfare f#@%$ counting on my income to pay for your beer, cigarettes, iPhones and drugs. I am fine with the people and families that really need it, as the American way is to help our brothers and sisters in need. But lack of even attempting to get a job, no matter where or what it may be is disgusting. Buttttt, none of you scummers have any pride so I am just wasting my energy posting this....... I hope they start drug testing you s&#@ bags.... enjoy your benefits that I pay for......losers...
Honestly

Marietta, NY

#12 Sep 23, 2012
lazy asses wrote:
If u don't wanna work at mcdonalds then go do some yard work. I was 13 going door to door asking if people needed any yard work done. My father raised 3 kids and a stay at home wife who took care of them kids. We never used the system. I wanted money so I worked n got it. You people bitch about no work its easy to sit att home n cry. Instead of sitting there crying go out look for a job. Mcdonalds is a start. Atleast u will get a weekly cash flow
For one you don't have any idea who posted, so maybe you should not assume...I have worked since I was 13, have a good job with 18 years in toward retirement, and have also worked 2 jobs since 2000, sometimes 3. I have raised my two kids by myself! When I was 16 I even worked at McDonald's, so shut the hell up...people can't maintain a life on minimum wage at McDonald's ...Be friggin real! Yes people need to work, but they also need to eat, so working a McDonald's is not going to solve the welfare problem. We need jobs created. And as far as instilling integrity in people...good luck..they are who they are!
I pay for you

Sauquoit, NY

#13 Sep 23, 2012
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
For one you don't have any idea who posted, so maybe you should not assume...I have worked since I was 13, have a good job with 18 years in toward retirement, and have also worked 2 jobs since 2000, sometimes 3. I have raised my two kids by myself! When I was 16 I even worked at McDonald's, so shut the hell up...people can't maintain a life on minimum wage at McDonald's ...Be friggin real! Yes people need to work, but they also need to eat, so working a McDonald's is not going to solve the welfare problem. We need jobs created. And as far as instilling integrity in people...good luck..they are who they are!
Classic excuse, a job at McDonald's is better than the "I won't make enough at McDonald's so public assistance is better" excuse. Give me a break. A job is a job,$7 an hour or $70, live within your means and make the effort to support your family. Look for a better job while gaining work experience. Use public ASSISTANCE as exactly that, assistance..... don't rely on others to fit the bill. I'm surprised that someone who claims to work and have a good job would excuse people from working. You must make a ton of money to not give a crap about paying for freeloaders.
mayordickhead12

Massena, NY

#15 Sep 23, 2012
i love getting free money to sit on my ass while all you fff people work to support me ,, i love it i love it ya baby, i was at the mayor bar last night drinking with my well fair money mmmm good ,if you can get free money take it ,, lot better than working ,, all week,, lol lol lol lol lol lol lol food stamps ya love it , oh mayor dick head,an his fat bar in massena,. sits on his ass doning shit,
lazy asses

Raymond, NH

#16 Sep 23, 2012
Just goes to show y massena people blow. Get a fukn job whatever it pays u can live. From what I hear mcds has full benefits that accompany the hourly wages they give to non lazy scum bags. I c tons of adds for employment go apply for one n work unlike your shitty ass parents tht gave u no work ethics. U r the reason why we hire illegals to do the work. They do a better job
Reality

Syracuse, NY

#17 Sep 23, 2012
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
But... That job at McDonald's should lessen the need between what you have and need to make ends meet, bettering the bottom line for welfar programs
Honestly

Marietta, NY

#18 Sep 23, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
But... That job at McDonald's should lessen the need between what you have and need to make ends meet, bettering the bottom line for welfar programs
Yes...but it will not fix the problem with welfare. And McDonald's cannot employ a third or more of St. Lawrence County either. I know people with college educations who can't get a job in this area!
sick

Fulton, NY

#19 Sep 23, 2012
people are on social benafits because they have to be stupid !!!, you people are so dumb saying , not on my dime , or get a job at mcdonalds , how many jobs do you think mcdonalds has stupid , there are no jobs up here !! were are all the jobs , or how about a livable wadge , ya what about that !!!!!! masenna needs a new mayor !!!!!!!
lazy asses

Raymond, NH

#20 Sep 23, 2012
Massena needs less lazy ass people blow there are several fast food restaurants in the area also sver other establishments in the area. Dozens of stores that need help grocery stores and gas stations. The rez had a 100 places to work. Alcoa. Many construction jobs during the summer which grant u the right to unemployment on off seasons. You people are so lazy that people out of town get the job u bitch about not having. As far a college education should have a job if its not here your education n talent can get u a job elsewhere
Agree

Massena, NY

#21 Sep 23, 2012
This brings me to another point....STAY IN FRIGGING SCHOOL and get an education! wow
sick wrote:
people are on social benafits because they have to be stupid !!!, you people are so dumb saying , not on my dime , or get a job at mcdonalds , how many jobs do you think mcdonalds has stupid , there are no jobs up here !! were are all the jobs , or how about a livable wadge , ya what about that !!!!!! masenna needs a new mayor !!!!!!!
I pay for you

Sauquoit, NY

#22 Sep 23, 2012
You just can't win arguing with people who are content on doing nothing and living off public assistance. Just keep making babies and being scum, I'll pay to raise your 12 kids and buy your cigarettes and beer, oh yeah, and your iPhone bill. If it's legit and you need help I understand. The one thing people do not understand is that these scumbags pass on this way of life to their kids, creating a multi-generation drain on society. This is like beating a dead horse, until we start drug testing these scummers and weeding them out the economy and state of this nation is screwed. Sleep tight s$#@ bags
LetsBeReal

Massena, NY

#23 Sep 23, 2012
Let's get real people. Saying there's no jobs in Massena is just a joke. Mcdonald's isn't the only place to work, though it may be the only place you know of. Look around, we have TONS of places within WALKING distance so you can't complain about a minimum wage job and not being able to afford a car and gasoline. Go green, get a bike. You people use poor excuses in order to make yourselves look like the government is doing you a favor. Most jobs require drug tests, so if y'all would get off your couches, stop doing so many prescription pills and heroin, clean up your act, maybe you'd be able to get a decent job. The people that are fed by the government make me sick. Massena might not be the best place to live, but it's gone downhill in the last 10 years due to people who don't have any ambition. It's life, enjoy it while it lasts, make the best of it or kill yourselves. It's that simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ogdensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe lynch 3 hr NoOneCares 4
Psych Center Perv Exposed yet Topix Caves to Hi... Sun We Will Not Go Away 1
News Ogdensburg monument vandal turns out to be girl... (Jun '16) Sat chuck 4
News Retired priests benefit from generosity of Cath... Jan 1 Alter-boy 3
News Ogdensburg man indicted with possessing forged ... Dec 29 garymatthie 1

Ogdensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ogdensburg Mortgages