Feedback: Amish Appear In Court On Co...

Feedback: Amish Appear In Court On Code Violation Charges

There are 10 comments on the WWNY-TV Watertown story from Oct 12, 2007, titled Feedback: Amish Appear In Court On Code Violation Charges. In it, WWNY-TV Watertown reports that:

The first of eight Amish men accused of building without a permit appeared in Morristown Town Court Friday morning. via WWNY-TV Watertown

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWNY-TV Watertown.

Charles La Shombe

Little Valley, NY

#1 Jan 12, 2008
Hi: I have been a friend of the Amish for many years. I use to transport them to their school with our local School bus in our district. They were all very friendly and hard workers with very strong family values.

I understand that Towns want buildings that are safe I have no problem with that but on the other hand we do live in a country that was based on freedom of Religion and traditions, It's even been said with true meaning give me liberty or give me death. Because as in the past many people were arrested or killed for not complying to laws that went against there beliefs and for this they were willing to die. I hope that our country has not gone so backwards that this has to be a choice anymore. Why can't the law makers and code Officers work with the Amish on Codes directed to comply to their beliefs and live in harmony instead of dictating to them, the way they feel they must live. I know they have ways of building that are from the past that have been handed down to them over time. Time tells what truely works and with time comes wisdom. Are our Engineers and law Officers so closed minded they can't take in to consideration that the Amish way of building may be as safe as theirs, even though they may have the Education to back them. The Amish have History of what works and don't work with Buildings.
I just believe if we were more willing to work with them instead of against them these problems could be resolved with out making a mockery of our court system.
Thank You for allowing us this forum
Kenneth Moore

Mannsville, NY

#2 Jan 20, 2008
As your arguements for religious freedoms may well be accurate, justified, and frankly supported by myself, I don't believe you're getting the "point" of this case. I am not trying to offend you, or any supporter of the Amish community in Northern New York, I am however going to try to explain the situation as I see it. I was raised in the village of Morristown, and now reside in Ogdensburg. I am familiar with the Amish ways of life, as my in-laws are nieghbors with, and sold a farm to, an Amish family. Of course their building practices work, and are safe for them. But, the situation with the Amish and the building codes could be compared to the millions of cancer patients who use cannabis to medicate their ailments. Of course, the possession of cannabis is illegal in the United States, but some jurisdictions have allowed it for this particular use. Now as this method of medicating is supported and used by people, it is not always legal. So, when it is found that someone has broken the law by using cannabis for this reason, they are still held to the same charges as any other person not in a cancer situation. They must pay fines, surcharges, attorneys, and may even face jail time as required. Now, if someone, Amish or not, is found to be in violation of local building codes, or course they're going to be fined, surcharged, lawyered, jailed, what have you. It is the way it is. The building codes, mind you, are not going to have a devastating affect on the way the Amish build. And in most cases now, when an Amish family buys land, they are acquiring a "normal" house, and "converting" it to suite their lifestyle. The building codes are not set to infringe upon anyone's rights, they are set to ensure the safety of not only the inhabitants, but also of anyone else that may enter the given structure today, tomorrow, or ten, twenty, thirty years from now. Who's to say that a given Amish home will remain an Amish home for the rest of time?

Now what does offend me is the amount of taxpayers' money being spent on un-needed translators for this group. Any public defender would be able to communicate to given party their situation. That is the essential role of any attorney is it not?- to explain to the "layman" the language used by the courts. Amish are familiar with basic American English. I feel this group is exploiting the taxpayers' resources simply because they feel they are being harassed, which to that I would argue, Why can't I get away with not having a building permit?
Burg dude

Long Eddy, NY

#3 Mar 18, 2013
Blast from past i think chucky is a dumb €ucky
FBI

Seattle, WA

#6 Mar 19, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
Not a fan of the Amish. They tear up the roads with their steel wheeled buggies. They don't pay sales tax on their lumber,baskets & crafts. Their horses litter the streets and roads with horse maneur. They hog up back roads with poorly lit Buggies. They don't pay income tax. They don't even have social security numbers. They are a neusance to society. They harvest fish and deer out of season illegally. If we did any of this we would be getting fined or in jail. Why are they above the law
Your just jealous. They have a better life than you and they do not need a SS# to be happy. They know how to live, which is something people from "Da Burg" need to learn.
FBI

Seattle, WA

#7 Mar 19, 2013
Kenneth Moore wrote:
As your arguements for religious freedoms may well be accurate, justified, and frankly supported by myself, I don't believe you're getting the "point" of this case. I am not trying to offend you, or any supporter of the Amish community in Northern New York, I am however going to try to explain the situation as I see it. I was raised in the village of Morristown, and now reside in Ogdensburg. I am familiar with the Amish ways of life, as my in-laws are nieghbors with, and sold a farm to, an Amish family. Of course their building practices work, and are safe for them. But, the situation with the Amish and the building codes could be compared to the millions of cancer patients who use cannabis to medicate their ailments. Of course, the possession of cannabis is illegal in the United States, but some jurisdictions have allowed it for this particular use. Now as this method of medicating is supported and used by people, it is not always legal. So, when it is found that someone has broken the law by using cannabis for this reason, they are still held to the same charges as any other person not in a cancer situation. They must pay fines, surcharges, attorneys, and may even face jail time as required. Now, if someone, Amish or not, is found to be in violation of local building codes, or course they're going to be fined, surcharged, lawyered, jailed, what have you. It is the way it is. The building codes, mind you, are not going to have a devastating affect on the way the Amish build. And in most cases now, when an Amish family buys land, they are acquiring a "normal" house, and "converting" it to suite their lifestyle. The building codes are not set to infringe upon anyone's rights, they are set to ensure the safety of not only the inhabitants, but also of anyone else that may enter the given structure today, tomorrow, or ten, twenty, thirty years from now. Who's to say that a given Amish home will remain an Amish home for the rest of time?
Now what does offend me is the amount of taxpayers' money being spent on un-needed translators for this group. Any public defender would be able to communicate to given party their situation. That is the essential role of any attorney is it not?- to explain to the "layman" the language used by the courts. Amish are familiar with basic American English. I feel this group is exploiting the taxpayers' resources simply because they feel they are being harassed, which to that I would argue, Why can't I get away with not having a building permit?
Bull Crap. You can't find enough ways to squeeze money from people, now you are preying on the Amish. Like they do not know how to build a Barn without the help of Bums like you.
Lucy

Ransomville, NY

#8 Mar 19, 2013
Should the amish be allowed to built things for others. They don't claim it as income.
Some own guns, so I guess they are exempt from the gun laws.
FBI

Seattle, WA

#9 Mar 20, 2013
Lucy wrote:
Should the amish be allowed to built things for others. They don't claim it as income.
Some own guns, so I guess they are exempt from the gun laws.
Yes, some have guns. Old, old, very old shotguns if anything. This kind of thing is not about building someone a storage shed or a garage or a piece of furniture. This is all about government bums fearing they are losing out on afew nickels and dimes to fuel their free ride.
Any Branch of the US Gov't is not about the Taxpayer or Homeowner who pays the Taxes. The US Gov't has proven itself to be incompetent. Infastrcture that is falling down or rotting in the ground,(cost of 3 1/2 Trillion to repair). 17 Trillion in Debt. Do you realize that every person in the US owes 53K to the Feds because of their incompetence. Taxes on people that is literally taking food off our tables. Makin life miserable for people in so many way that I do not have the time to type it all. They have or are ruining our water supply.
Where has the money gone? Where does approx.%25 of your paycheck go? Where is the Stimulus Projects. Why do our children go from High School to Jail? Why have people resorted to drugs and Alcohol? Why is life drained from people. Why do Americans start wars that are Unconstitutional?
Someday the same people that have been making life miserable for so many will be needing help. Good luck finding it.
By the way, I will be hiring the Amish and I will be paying in Cash.
Lucy

Ransomville, NY

#10 Mar 20, 2013
Things are the way they are because that's how the government wants it.
As far as the Amish.... they want to live by their rules but don't mind riding in our vehicles, at one time they were getting free healthcare from the local hospital along with perks. Why should they be allowed to sell things when we cannot.
Etc.
Indiana Amish

Elkhart, IN

#11 Mar 25, 2013
FBI wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, some have guns. Old, old, very old shotguns if anything. This kind of thing is not about building someone a storage shed or a garage or a piece of furniture. This is all about government bums fearing they are losing out on afew nickels and dimes to fuel their free ride.
Any Branch of the US Gov't is not about the Taxpayer or Homeowner who pays the Taxes. The US Gov't has proven itself to be incompetent. Infastrcture that is falling down or rotting in the ground,(cost of 3 1/2 Trillion to repair). 17 Trillion in Debt. Do you realize that every person in the US owes 53K to the Feds because of their incompetence. Taxes on people that is literally taking food off our tables. Makin life miserable for people in so many way that I do not have the time to type it all. They have or are ruining our water supply.
Where has the money gone? Where does approx.%25 of your paycheck go? Where is the Stimulus Projects. Why do our children go from High School to Jail? Why have people resorted to drugs and Alcohol? Why is life drained from people. Why do Americans start wars that are Unconstitutional?
Someday the same people that have been making life miserable for so many will be needing help. Good luck finding it.
By the way, I will be hiring the Amish and I will be paying in Cash.
Its clearly obvious you know little of what you write about!
local

Chalfont, PA

#12 Mar 29, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
Not a fan of the Amish. They tear up the roads with their steel wheeled buggies. They don't pay sales tax on their lumber,baskets & crafts. Their horses litter the streets and roads with horse maneur. They hog up back roads with poorly lit Buggies. They don't pay income tax. They don't even have social security numbers. They are a neusance to society. They harvest fish and deer out of season illegally. If we did any of this we would be getting fined or in jail. Why are they above the law
. It's about time you do some research because you are more wrong then right. Amish people pay income tax, they have social security numbers, they pay taxes on lumber baskets an crafts. Amish people atleast don't put the government in debt by living off of food stamps!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ogdensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Norfolk woman accused of stealing TV from Canto... (Dec '12) Jul 17 xxx 34

Ogdensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ogdensburg Mortgages