JCP&L is overcharging customers

Posted in the Ogdensburg Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Hamburg_Resd

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 8, 2010
 
In the past 5 years I have reported JCP&L to the FTC for their rates being too high as opposed to other companies. What I have come to understand is it takes more than just one complaint. There needs to be several complaints to make a dent. 12.5 cents per kwh and a delivery charge of 7 cents kwh is insane. They are no where as large as PSE&G and do not share the same overhead. The FTC will investigate but one complaint doesn't push the issue. JCP&L is really First Energy the company responsible for the Northeastern Black out in 2003. Let's face it their service is not worth what we are paying them.

“Listen”

Since: Jun 09

Sussex County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 9, 2010
 
I feel the same, every month I get a bill for about $170 -$200. I've had my electric inspected and serviced, it all adds up to the same problem JCP&L's rates are way to high in Sussex County. They know they are they only legit outfit here and they are taking us to the bank.
Kathleen Ann Bianco

Stanhope, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 2, 2011
 
I just got my bill which listed that JCP&L is charging me $38 just to have a connection to the house I am renting...my bill ran me $145!!!!! I keep all the lights out, unplug everything in sight when I am not home and my bill was still unbelievably high! This is ridiculous! I work for Walmart and I do collect SS now...my entire check goes to pay the rent, electric bill, water bill, very, very high car insurance, gas for my car...I sometimes find a few bucks to buy food. Appalling!!!!! I tried to get a discount due to my low salary and age but guess what...JCP&L says I earn too much money!!!!! I never have3 a dime left after paying all the extras! What a ripoff JCP&L is!!!!!!!
RuthinkinG

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 13, 2011
 
Kathleen Ann Bianco wrote:
I just got my bill which listed that JCP&L is charging me $38 just to have a connection to the house I am renting...my bill ran me $145!!!!! I keep all the lights out, unplug everything in sight when I am not home and my bill was still unbelievably high! This is ridiculous! I work for Walmart and I do collect SS now...my entire check goes to pay the rent, electric bill, water bill, very, very high car insurance, gas for my car...I sometimes find a few bucks to buy food. Appalling!!!!! I tried to get a discount due to my low salary and age but guess what...JCP&L says I earn too much money!!!!! I never have3 a dime left after paying all the extras! What a ripoff JCP&L is!!!!!!!
Notify the FTC www.ftc.gov , send them copies of your bills and file a complaint. Their rates are high because they know they are the only suppliers in town. These small energy companies like Viridian and Glacial buy energy from them and resell it. The only savings that you get ia maybe 1/2 or a 3rd of what your rate is now which adds up to cents maybe a total of $4-5 dollars. Call the FTC
Smitty

Maple Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 16, 2011
 
What about Sussex Rural? I understand they are half the price of JCP&L, no?
Burny

Wayne, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 22, 2011
 
It's not just the rates in this apartment complex I'm in.

Over the years I've suspected artificial climbs in KWH. The apartment complex that I live in has JCP&L. This past winter I was able to prove a point by not using "thermostatic" electric heat. The bills were outrageous for this less than 600 sq ft place.

I wrote in a "complaint form" to the state board of utilities. They apparently sent the complaint to JCP&L. JCP&L is doing their own investigation.

This has to be wrong on so many levels. I do not trust this system. I see that the FTC states that they will not do individual claims. I'm not sure where to go now.
Jim B

Union, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 17, 2012
 
Hamburg_Resd wrote:
In the past 5 years I have reported JCP&L to the FTC for their rates being too high as opposed to other companies. What I have come to understand is it takes more than just one complaint. There needs to be several complaints to make a dent. 12.5 cents per kwh and a delivery charge of 7 cents kwh is insane. They are no where as large as PSE&G and do not share the same overhead. The FTC will investigate but one complaint doesn't push the issue. JCP&L is really First Energy the company responsible for the Northeastern Black out in 2003. Let's face it their service is not worth what we are paying them.
I was charges delivery 17 cents per KWH for 12,000 kg per year and a reduced price of 8 cents for 12,000 kwh, My total yearly kwh is 24,000
I was wondering how one would go about complaining. I now have a straight 9.8 cents from an alternative company
Ron

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 18, 2012
 
OK, so a bit of a different billing issue, but still a large issue.
I have a photo voltaic solar system, so I produce electricity that can go back to the grid and I am suppose to get a credit for it. Basically sometimes I consume electricity from the grid and I get billed for it and sometimes I produce an excess of my consumption and I get a credit for it (although not at the same rate). I have what is called a time of day bi-directional meter. The problem is that there are more the four meter reading categories on the bill and it is extremely confusing. As someone said to me, they couldn't make it more confusing if they tried.
My bills have been astronomical. I have a small three bed room ranch and my bills have been in excess of $ 800.00 at times. And thats with an expensive solar system that produces electricity.
Months and years of complaining have gotten nowhere. Finger pointing between solar installer and JCP&L, with me in the middle paying these bills. I have come to the conclusion that they are not crediting me for my excess because of the numerous meter reading categories and perhaps even charging me for what should be a credit.
I finally demanded that they install a simpler meter with just two categories and voila my bills are more than cut in half, Problem is they won't admit to any mistake or over charge for all those past bills.
My question is has anyone else had a similar problem?
Live in Vernon fulltime

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 18, 2012
 
No way any month's bill should be $800 unless it is July and you are setting the air conditioner to less than 70 F. Something is very wrong.
Hamburg_Resd

Sparta, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 29, 2012
 
Ron wrote:
OK, so a bit of a different billing issue, but still a large issue.
I have a photo voltaic solar system, so I produce electricity that can go back to the grid and I am suppose to get a credit for it. Basically sometimes I consume electricity from the grid and I get billed for it and sometimes I produce an excess of my consumption and I get a credit for it (although not at the same rate). I have what is called a time of day bi-directional meter. The problem is that there are more the four meter reading categories on the bill and it is extremely confusing. As someone said to me, they couldn't make it more confusing if they tried.
My bills have been astronomical. I have a small three bed room ranch and my bills have been in excess of $ 800.00 at times. And thats with an expensive solar system that produces electricity.
Months and years of complaining have gotten nowhere. Finger pointing between solar installer and JCP&L, with me in the middle paying these bills. I have come to the conclusion that they are not crediting me for my excess because of the numerous meter reading categories and perhaps even charging me for what should be a credit.
I finally demanded that they install a simpler meter with just two categories and voila my bills are more than cut in half, Problem is they won't admit to any mistake or over charge for all those past bills.
My question is has anyone else had a similar problem?
Contact the New Jersey Board of Utilities and present the situation to them. In writing with copies of your invoices from the Solar Company and copies of your bills from JCP&L. Also CC Gov. Christie's office in Trenton. Good Luck best advice I can give you.
Alan Adler

Fords, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 6, 2012
 
Please give customers an option to switch to another electric company. Is really unfair to stuck with these Mickey Mouse company.
disgusted

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 6, 2012
 
Burny wrote:
It's not just the rates in this apartment complex I'm in.
Over the years I've suspected artificial climbs in KWH. The apartment complex that I live in has JCP&L. This past winter I was able to prove a point by not using "thermostatic" electric heat. The bills were outrageous for this less than 600 sq ft place.
I wrote in a "complaint form" to the state board of utilities. They apparently sent the complaint to JCP&L. JCP&L is doing their own investigation.
This has to be wrong on so many levels. I do not trust this system. I see that the FTC states that they will not do individual claims. I'm not sure where to go now.
JCP&L doing their own investigation sounds like conflict of interest to me. Contact the Public Service Commission, they'll do a thorough investigation. That's what they are there for.
MR-Jon

Parlin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 10, 2013
 
I've gotten a bill this fall which is triple my normal usage, but I have seemingly changed nothing to my regular schedule or energy usage, My bills month to month never vary more than about 10%, and then bam, triple the usage? How is that even possible?

Same thing happened to me last year, for a month I was half out of town and using no power. Called JCPL about it, and they gave me the run-around and basically said the meter doesn't lie. I live on an upper floor of an apartment building, could someone stealing my power be even possible?? I strongly suspect something afoul is afoot.
MR-Jon

Parlin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 10, 2013
 
Burny wrote:
It's not just the rates in this apartment complex I'm in.
Over the years I've suspected artificial climbs in KWH. The apartment complex that I live in has JCP&L. This past winter I was able to prove a point by not using "thermostatic" electric heat. The bills were outrageous for this less than 600 sq ft place.
I wrote in a "complaint form" to the state board of utilities. They apparently sent the complaint to JCP&L. JCP&L is doing their own investigation.
This has to be wrong on so many levels. I do not trust this system. I see that the FTC states that they will not do individual claims. I'm not sure where to go now.
Hey, see my post at the bottom of this thread. I live in an apartment (non-electric heat) and got a bill this fall that is triple my usage, when normally it doesn't fluctuate more than about 10% month to month. And the same issue happened to me at a different time last year.

It seems like something is very wrong with this picture. Faulty meter? JCPL doing it on purpose? Who knows.
george lauterbach

Morganville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 9, 2014
 
the rates for our electric is through the roof and it's insane. we own a motel which has no one staying except an occasional 1 night stay. This is winter an off season time and we are being killed with these bills. what's going to happen when the season comes in the bills will be extremely, extremely off the wall that we'll be paying probably triple. someone needs to check our meters. we've gone to the town but not getting anything good from them. please send someone to check our meters a.s.a.p. how can we get someone to do that??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ogdensburg Discussions

Search the Ogdensburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Police: Sussex County man caught with drugs in ... Jul 4 krashing 15
Plainfield, need a little history around 1960 (Feb '08) Jun 24 Will F 126
Lake Rights Still no agreement in lengthy dispu... (Jun '08) Jun 23 John 14
Charge: Illegal alien raped 13-year-old girl in... Jun 18 Rip 7
Embattled North Plainfield Rescue Squad's build... (Feb '13) Jun '14 Concern Citizen 6
Plainfield riots - 1967 (Sep '07) May '14 Elizabeth Gleason LaTorre 77
Geddis sign studio May '14 Windex 3
•••
•••

Ogdensburg News Video

•••
Ogdensburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Ogdensburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ogdensburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ogdensburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ogdensburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••