First Prev
of 8
Next Last
willyp

United States

#1 Sep 9, 2010
I'm looking for info on a woman that lived in Baxley some years back named Edna Hutto. Not trying to stir up anything just wanting some info for a book I'm compiling. It's history I'm primarily interested in.
willyp

United States

#2 Sep 10, 2010
willyp wrote:
I'm looking for info on a woman that lived in Baxley some years back named Edna Hutto. Not trying to stir up anything just wanting some info for a book I'm compiling. It's history I'm primarily interested in.
Surely someone out there remembers this person. Just wanting some background info, not trying to slander anyone, just want to write something on the history of Baxley from a different perspective.
Skynyrd Fan

Baxley, GA

#3 Sep 10, 2010
willyp wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely someone out there remembers this person. Just wanting some background info, not trying to slander anyone, just want to write something on the history of Baxley from a different perspective.
This woman is long dead by @ 25 years or more, she's not around to defend herself!! Merely going by what the older fellows said about her, she was never Citizen Of The Year material!! There's is nothing to gain by talking about her or her memory, so just drop this discussion because when she was alive I never heard ANYONE say a kind word about her!!
willyp

United States

#4 Sep 10, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
<quoted text> This woman is long dead by @ 25 years or more, she's not around to defend herself!! Merely going by what the older fellows said about her, she was never Citizen Of The Year material!! There's is nothing to gain by talking about her or her memory, so just drop this discussion because when she was alive I never heard ANYONE say a kind word about her!!
I figured I might get a response like this. I'm researching the history of this small town & like it or not Mr.Fan she is a part of the history of this community. In any wrtings I would not even use her real name. Grow up Mr. "Skynyrd Fan", is this some kind of closed community that we can't research a little history?
Skynyrd Fan

Baxley, GA

#5 Sep 11, 2010
If you REALLY want to know about Appling County, i urge you to buy a copy of Footprints In Appling County 1818-1978 by the late Ruth Barron.I looked in the index and Edna's name simply isn't there.Appling County has had HUNDREDS of ladies who did things to improve the county through the years and their names are in the index. Edna, although i can't say that i knew her was NOT our most noble citizen of all time!! You'd be better off persuing some lady's memory who started a garden club, a civic club, her volunteered her time to improve the county than someone like Edna, as i said in my firs post, I never heard one soul whether male or female, black or white, young old say anything nice about her.But, nonetheless let her name and memory rest in peace, she's not here anymore to defend herself!!
asdf

United States

#6 Sep 11, 2010
Have you tried calling her descendants and/or extended family? There are many Huttos in Baxley still. Normally if you ask anything on this site, Skynyrd Fan or Yeller jacket will turn the thread into an attack against anything, so your best bet is to look in the phonebook, go to the heritage center, or see if the courthouse has any records pertaining to her.
Skynyrd Fan

Hazlehurst, GA

#7 Sep 11, 2010
asdf wrote:
Have you tried calling her descendants and/or extended family? There are many Huttos in Baxley still. Normally if you ask anything on this site, Skynyrd Fan or Yeller jacket will turn the thread into an attack against anything, so your best bet is to look in the phonebook, go to the heritage center, or see if the courthouse has any records pertaining to her.
IF you can read - I SAID the woman is long dead!!That jerk isn't writing a book anymore than i am about small towns!! He's heard her name from a few people and has come on here trying to stir trouble!!
willyp

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
<quoted text> IF you can read - I SAID the woman is long dead!!That jerk isn't writing a book anymore than i am about small towns!! He's heard her name from a few people and has come on here trying to stir trouble!!
Actuall I am compiling a history of Baxley & I'm working on it with my daughter. Just because you are most probably fairly ignorant(based on your responses) does not mean that everyone around here is. All I want is some birthdates, birthplace & some other details. Yes I've heard her name & I even met her once in the early seventies & I certainly have better things to do than stir up trouble. You speak as if this is your personal forum judging by your declaration that she is long dead,"I SAID the woman is long dead"!! Most people historically interesting are dead. Mr. Skynryd please don't assume everyone is a brain dead redneck, if you can think that deeply.
Skynyrd Fan

Baxley, GA

#9 Sep 12, 2010
willyp wrote:
<quoted text>
Actuall I am compiling a history of Baxley & I'm working on it with my daughter. Just because you are most probably fairly ignorant(based on your responses) does not mean that everyone around here is. All I want is some birthdates, birthplace & some other details. Yes I've heard her name & I even met her once in the early seventies & I certainly have better things to do than stir up trouble. You speak as if this is your personal forum judging by your declaration that she is long dead,"I SAID the woman is long dead"!! Most people historically interesting are dead. Mr. Skynryd please don't assume everyone is a brain dead redneck, if you can think that deeply.
Sure you're writing a book Mr. Hemingway!! if you're REALLY searching info...try Linkpendium.com !!!
willyp

United States

#10 Sep 12, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
<quoted text> Sure you're writing a book Mr. Hemingway!! if you're REALLY searching info...try Linkpendium.com !!!
Look man, My daughter & I want to compile some stories about interesting characters from Baxley & appling County, simple as that. Why do you have to be so close minded & uptight about that? I think Baxley has had many colorful & intersting characters over the years. I'm not a Hemingway, just someone who wants to write little history about some of our colorful characters. Is that so hard to understand? Red Carter, Elijah Tomberlin, etc. were all colorful characters as I like to call them. Think outside the box for one time . It ain't so bad.
Skynyrd Fan

Hazlehurst, GA

#11 Sep 13, 2010
willyp wrote:
<quoted text>
Look man, My daughter & I want to compile some stories about interesting characters from Baxley & appling County, simple as that. Why do you have to be so close minded & uptight about that? I think Baxley has had many colorful & intersting characters over the years. I'm not a Hemingway, just someone who wants to write little history about some of our colorful characters. Is that so hard to understand? Red Carter, Elijah Tomberlin, etc. were all colorful characters as I like to call them. Think outside the box for one time . It ain't so bad.
The people you are referring to were not the kinda people that represents Appling County at all. For the most part, the people here past and present were/are God fearing, law abiding citizens!! Dude, what kind of man are you to even be discussing such things with your daughter??If you want to write about Appling County then i suggest such topics as the Surrency spook light, Moody's swamp, the Altamaha river, the different river landings, Lake Mayers, Lake Tara!! Those people you mentioned aren't worth writing about!!
willyp

United States

#12 Sep 13, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
<quoted text> The people you are referring to were not the kinda people that represents Appling County at all. For the most part, the people here past and present were/are God fearing, law abiding citizens!! Dude, what kind of man are you to even be discussing such things with your daughter??If you want to write about Appling County then i suggest such topics as the Surrency spook light, Moody's swamp, the Altamaha river, the different river landings, Lake Mayers, Lake Tara!! Those people you mentioned aren't worth writing about!!
I/m actually quite a decent man in my late fifties, retired & with a family & my
daughter is a college educated grown woman with a husband & two children. We don't want to write about landmarks, we don't want to write about swamps & lakes though they are very precious resources. We want to write some short stories/vignettes about what we consider interesting & different characters from the past. I guess you have appointed yourself as some kind of moral watchdog for this forum & Appling County in general. I'm not really sure what you are so uptight about. It's just a proposed series of short stories concerning some of the people that have lived here thru the years. It has nothing to do with who represented Appling County in a good or bad way. My project is not up for your approval or subject to your suggestions for subject matter. In closing I must say that I certainly don't understand your anger. Try to relax, maybe have a beer & listen to some Skynyrd. Tuesdays Gone is a relaxing & thoughtful tune.
Just Sayin

United States

#13 Sep 15, 2010
You know willp, I think you are right! Why don't you write about interesting and different "characters" in Appling County. Let's start with the folks who had to "DO WHATEVER IT TOOK TO SURVIVE." Tell us what was their story? Why did Duchey paint signs? Why did Mr. Herman shine shoes?Why the Aarons,Finkelsteins,and Cohens
have to leave town to worship? Why did some families only have moms? Why did some kids only have overalls? I lived here,and these are my people, just leave that chapter out. I feel very strongly that naming names and telling tales, sometimes is hurtful. Don't be hurtful!!!!!
willyp

United States

#14 Sep 16, 2010
Just Sayin wrote:
You know willp, I think you are right! Why don't you write about interesting and different "characters" in Appling County. Let's start with the folks who had to "DO WHATEVER IT TOOK TO SURVIVE." Tell us what was their story? Why did Duchey paint signs? Why did Mr. Herman shine shoes?Why the Aarons,Finkelsteins,and Cohens
have to leave town to worship? Why did some families only have moms? Why did some kids only have overalls? I lived here,and these are my people, just leave that chapter out. I feel very strongly that naming names and telling tales, sometimes is hurtful. Don't be hurtful!!!!!
I knew all those people.
willyp

United States

#15 Sep 21, 2010
It would never fail, after the local drive in theatre ran their Saturday night skin flick, deperately aroused local boys would head to the little house with the red light in the window near the end of Tippins street to relieve their
carnel urges. It was not unusual to find a row of cars parked on the side of the street with good ol boys awaiting their turn. Sad to say but many of these ol boys had no girl friends or lovers, leaving them with little alternative than to visit the notorious little house on Tippins Street. Three dollars was a bargain even in those days and afterwards there would be the usual excuses of having no choices in the matter, "I had to do sumthin about it!" was a typical response to ribbing from their buddies. Undoubtably, little regard was givin to the poor old soul who relieved their frustrations......
willyp

United States

#16 Sep 21, 2010
Elijah jumped around the parking lot in a drunken haze demonstrating various fighting moves he had learned through the years. There was little doubt in his mind that if he was a bit younger he could whip anybodies ass that got in his way. His buddy, J.T., laughed and encouraged Elijah in his drunken silliness, giving notice that nobody should interfere with Elijah's little show. At that point my good friend, Randy, asked Elijah had he been "gettin any" lately. Elijah replied confidently with a nasty growl, "No quicker than I can draw that ass back!"
willyp

United States

#17 Sep 21, 2010
Just Sayin wrote:
You might call me & my friends "characters" also. being the first hippies around Baxley & catching hell from the rednecks made for some intersting incidents & stories.
Dutchy's story is a very interesting one & I talked to him often at the city pool. Mr. Herman shined my Sunday shoes many times. I was close friends with his son & we graduated high school together & shared a bottle of wine or two back in the day. In high school I bought all my cloths from the Finlestiens store, great people & Marvin liked my sense of style. My daddy never let me wear overalls because he said that was all he ever wore till he was a grown man in the Navy during WW2. You see, these are my people too, just as much as they are yours.
Skynyrd Fan

Baxley, GA

#18 Sep 23, 2010
willyp wrote:
<quoted text>You might call me & my friends "characters" also. being the first hippies around Baxley & catching hell from the rednecks made for some intersting incidents & stories.
Dutchy's story is a very interesting one & I talked to him often at the city pool. Mr. Herman shined my Sunday shoes many times. I was close friends with his son & we graduated high school together & shared a bottle of wine or two back in the day. In high school I bought all my cloths from the Finlestiens store, great people & Marvin liked my sense of style. My daddy never let me wear overalls because he said that was all he ever wore till he was a grown man in the Navy during WW2. You see, these are my people too, just as much as they are yours.
Now, tell the part about Elijah aka "Licey" being locked up just about EVERYTIME he got drunk in town!! It was nothing to see him start acting up and the law was called and he was locked up time after time!!The law would slap the handcuffs on him so fast it was amazing to watch just how fast they could do it!! Now, tell the story that WAS in the News Banners back in '83-'84 where he got locked up one night and he was SO drunk, that he quote unquote "defecated on himself" in other words, he did #2 in his pants. A fellow inmate got his hands on a wire coat hanger and beat Licey on his back, when he was released from jail he went to the News Banner and pulled up the back of his shirt and got them to take a picture of it and it was in the next week's issue. I was told he got locked up so many times for drunk and disorderly conduct his fines for the year 1981 was @ 1,800.00. Now, does he sound like someone worth writing about in a book? And just what publishing company would print it? With what you described about Edna is pretty much what we ALL heard for years!! Prostitution is the OLDEST profession known to man and it goes on EVERYWHERE!! But, i dare you to ask any woman you can find to let you have a roll in the hay with her for what Edna was alledge to have accepted and see if she doesn't fry your jaws!!!! The woman had mental problems and should have been placed in a home AWAY from society because she simply wasn't responsible for her actions. Red Carter as sheriff should've take the necessary steps to have her removed from society for her own good!! She WAS the blunt of many jokes back then i.e. "We rode by Edna's house and saw you standing out there waiting in line" Now, does she sound like anyone a publishing company would be interested in?.
slimjim

United States

#19 Sep 23, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Now, tell the part about Elijah aka "Licey" being locked up just about EVERYTIME he got drunk in town!! It was nothing to see him start acting up and the law was called and he was locked up time after time!!The law would slap the handcuffs on him so fast it was amazing to watch just how fast they could do it!! Now, tell the story that WAS in the News Banners back in '83-'84 where he got locked up one night and he was SO drunk, that he quote unquote "defecated on himself" in other words, he did #2 in his pants. A fellow inmate got his hands on a wire coat hanger and beat Licey on his back, when he was released from jail he went to the News Banner and pulled up the back of his shirt and got them to take a picture of it and it was in the next week's issue. I was told he got locked up so many times for drunk and disorderly conduct his fines for the year 1981 was @ 1,800.00. Now, does he sound like someone worth writing about in a book? And just what publishing company would print it? With what you described about Edna is pretty much what we ALL heard for years!! Prostitution is the OLDEST profession known to man and it goes on EVERYWHERE!! But, i dare you to ask any woman you can find to let you have a roll in the hay with her for what Edna was alledge to have accepted and see if she doesn't fry your jaws!!!! The woman had mental problems and should have been placed in a home AWAY from society because she simply wasn't responsible for her actions. Red Carter as sheriff should've take the necessary steps to have her removed from society for her own good!! She WAS the blunt of many jokes back then i.e. "We rode by Edna's house and saw you standing out there waiting in line" Now, does she sound like anyone a publishing company would be interested in?.
No problem with independent publishers. What is the problem Mr. Sweep everything under the rug. Very sanctimonious you are Mr. Skynyrd fan,yeah lets lock away all the people we don't like or who make us look bad. You probably would have made a good nazi back in 1939. Yes Skynyrd fan knows all, he is the moral compass for our little community.
willyp

United States

#20 Sep 23, 2010
Thanks slim, I think that you hit it on the head in your appraisal of Mr. Skeenard fan. Pretty dang full of himself. I know the type, always pissed & grumbling about something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Odum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cop with his pants down 8 hr Tab 2
Local doctor guilty of stealing election signs 10 hr HOKIEFAN 5
So called women going with married men 14 hr Truth hurts 30
How did Kyle Stains die? (Dec '11) Sat natalie scott 6
The Billy Crowder Case (Mar '12) Sat joey88 91
Chris Allen (Apr '11) Oct 15 Chris Allen 10
fired? Oct 15 ClintBassForSheriff 5
Odum Dating
Find my Match

Odum Jobs