120 vases stolen from cemetery

120 vases stolen from cemetery

Posted in the Odessa Forum

what is wrong with people

United States

#1 May 11, 2009
Someone looking to loot some brass apparently thought they could take it from the dead.

Sunset Memorial Gardens reported 120 brass vases were picked from its gravesites. According to a police report filed Thursday, they had a net worth of $35,400.

Sunset general manager Bill Vallie and Odessa police Cpl. Sherrie Carruth said two people were arrested Thursday at a recycling center in Midland County and 109 of the 120 vases were recovered.

Midland County Sheriff Gary Painter said deputies arrested Travis Wayne Todd Jr. and Marretta Kay Todd in connection to the thefts.

Travis Todd was being held on Friday at the Midland County jail on unrelated warrants for two building burglary charges from Randall and Wheeler counties. Marretta Todd posted a $500 bond for an unrelated dangerous-drug warrant.

Vallie said he was not sure if they were taken all in one night or if it was done over time, but he realized Thursday morning that too many of them were missing.

"We found markers that had vases removed, and as we counted up, the numbers just got huge," Vallie said.

What about the 11 vases that were not found?

"Theoretically, we're not responsible for any theft, but we never adhered to that policy. We always replaced them," he said. "We feel obligated to take care of them."

He estimated it would cost the cemetery $3,300 to replace the 11 missing vases.

Carruth said the thefts were not related to Friday's police memorial nor did they affect it. As for the culprit, she said police suspected it was someone looking to cash in on the brass.

Painter said Midland Recycle, along with the recycling center in Odessa, was put on alert Thursday after Sunset reported the thefts. He said Midland Recycles employees called deputies at 11:30 a.m. Thursday when the Todds came there to try to sell the vases, and employees tried to delay the suspects until deputies arrived to arrest them.( link to article below)

http://www.oaoa.com/news/vases-30693-midland-...

what is wrong with people these days? Anyone know anymore info on this story or the people involved.I am sure they are still out steeling.Watch your stuff!!
grow -up

United States

#2 May 11, 2009
this is so crazy. I do not know the names, but I really hope they do not live in my area, if they can take from the dead, i am sure they have no problem going in to peoples homes.
abcd

United States

#3 May 12, 2009
I read this in the paper to. They really need some help. I have heard about teens doing stunts like this, but grown adults.......I hope the courts will get them so good help.They need to learn a BIG lesson,not just a slap on the wrist.
midland mom

United States

#4 May 13, 2009
I hope the families that were effected by this childish crime, will go to court to help make sure they do not get that oh so famous slap on the wrist.
sweetkarma

Long Beach, MS

#5 May 13, 2009
hopefully marretta will finally gets what she desrves. i am a true believer in karma. she made so many false reports to the TABC and to my exboss that i lost my job. unfortunately TABC didnt want to really do their job & investigate. i think her gttn caught is awesome. it was the best mothers day present i could ask for. thank god midland county cops were doing their job. hopefully she goes back to prison because she obviously didnt learn anything the first time. people like her do not deserve to mingle with the free world.
sleestack

Lubbock, TX

#6 Aug 17, 2009
i heard the two thieves moved to lubbock,tx; those of you who know about this situation should inform lubbock cemeteries about this; they can hide, steal, lie, make life difficult for others, but they will have to answer to God; when they think nobody else is looking, God is always watching; hey, what has been done, they can't change it; they will have to live with it the rest of their lives.
sleestack

Lubbock, TX

#7 Aug 17, 2009
sweetkarma wrote:
hopefully marretta will finally gets what she desrves. i am a true believer in karma. she made so many false reports to the TABC and to my exboss that i lost my job. unfortunately TABC didnt want to really do their job & investigate. i think her gttn caught is awesome. it was the best mothers day present i could ask for. thank god midland county cops were doing their job. hopefully she goes back to prison because she obviously didnt learn anything the first time. people like her do not deserve to mingle with the free world.
amen, to that; she's supposed to have moved to lubbock; going to some computer center
Sweeter Karma

Dyersburg, TN

#8 Mar 26, 2013
sweetkarma wrote:
Yeah like you were caught at the park naked smoking meth! Yes Karma is sweet Sabrina!
sweet karma

Odessa, TX

#9 Mar 27, 2013
Sweeter Karma wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah like you were caught at the park naked smoking meth! Yes Karma is sweet Sabrina!
in response to a recent response about a 2009 post....wow. talk about bringing up the past. im sorry you feel like you still have to make up lies about me. ive never been at a park naked. yes I did have a drug problem in the past. when I stopped giving her meth, marretta started her vindictive, false accusations with the TABC, hacked my phone, had sex with my with my boyfriend at the time and that's just what ive found out, im sure theres more shady stuff. I had enough of that trashy lifestyle and decided to change it. ive gotten help, relapsed after a few yrs of sobriety and now I go to my NA meetings daily, talk to my Higher Power all day, found forgiveness for myself and my past. ive also forgiven my past "frenemies" just so I could actually live my life normally.
Marretta

Dyersburg, TN

#10 Apr 1, 2013
Sabrina,
Think what you want, your mental, delusional and bi polar-- drugs were the least of your problem.
Living in the past... no, I just stumbled upon this little blog and decided to speak my peace.
Keep telling lies, I do not care GOD knows what I have done and he knows you too!!
Lets see whos burning on judgment day
Mrs Clean Queen!{:"BAHAHAHA
Neutral observer

United States

#11 Sep 18, 2013
I have never been involved in your drug nor criminal schemes, but had the unfortunate task of having to deal with M. M is all fine and good until her paranoia surfaces then God help the person who receives the wrath of the female Satan. She is delusional, and vindictive.. Willing to throw her own husband under the bus if he had evoked her anger.. My husband is in Odessa law enforcement so I also was given details that never were or will be made public. Yes, God knows what you've done Marretta.. Thank God for you he is a forgiving God or you wouldn't stand a chance. Of course he is also a vengeful God.. So maybe there is a day for all of the people you screwed over cause to celebrate yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Odessa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Single woman wanting spoiled Aug 15 mNc2Society 3
Chasity Brashier (Jan '17) Aug 13 MissPriss815 9
looking 4 women (Apr '13) Aug 13 Bad boy69 2
Jaguars Strip Joint Aug 12 Old Friend 1
Who wants girls phones number for FaceTime? (Sep '14) Aug 10 It buster 80
Chasing rock Aug 6 Madgenius1 1
Sucky sucky Aug 4 BigJ55 1

Odessa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance