21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karin Strasser

Oconomowoc, WI

#21 Jan 22, 2009
Part 1

You outline a very interesting case for your obvious outrage against St. Jerome Parish School in general, and its Pastor in particular.
Based upon your comments, however, one could easily deduce you are not a practicing Catholic – nor Catholic at all. For if you were, you would understand the tenants of your faith and fully support the consequent decision.

For example:

Your attempt to validate immoral behavior by referencing Scripture passages which no longer hold meaning in our modern life, is a flawed argument. To avoid a full analysis of biblical texts and the various forms of writing therein, suffice to say, Catholics do not adhere to the practice of Sola scriptura. Instead, we embrace the 3 pillars upon which our faith is based: Holy Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium. Keep in mind, this is a clear distinction from the beliefs set forth by our Protestant brothers and sisters.

Although we are all encouraged to use our intellects to probe the meaning of Scripture,
It is the Magisterium's task to be the arbiter of whether or not a given theological idea belongs to the Catholic faith. By the Magisterium we mean the teaching office of the Church. It consists of the Pope and Bishops. Christ promised to protect the teaching of the Church : "He who hears you, hears me; he who rejects your rejects me, he who rejects me, rejects Him who sent me" (Luke 10. 16). The teaching of the Magisterium is the prime, God-given means of finding the truth.
Karin Strasser

Oconomowoc, WI

#22 Jan 22, 2009
Part 2
Given this understanding, what then, is the teaching of the Catholic Church regarding homosexuality? Kindly note the following citation taken directly from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms throughout the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on sacred Scripture, which present homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity [Gen. 19:1-29, Rom. 1:24-27, 1 Cor. 6:10, 1Tim. 1:10], tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered [Persona Humana 8]. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complimentarily. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Essentially, practicing Catholics believe homosexual behavior is immoral and sinful; understand those who experience same-sex attractions must consider their tendencies a vice and unite their suffering to Christ; and lastly, live a life of chastity.
Karin Strasser

Oconomowoc, WI

#23 Jan 22, 2009
Part 3

Now, one may vehemently oppose this position – or any other teaching of the Catholic Church – however, public/personal opinion, social mores, and the like - stand outside the realm of Truth – and, despite the inability of non-Catholics to fully comprehend the greater meaning - we follow, we practice, we believe.

With this in mind, the accusations waged against St. Jerome Parish School, Church and its Pastor, are done so without merit. In other words, the decision to deny enrollment was a Pastoral response to a public practice clearly in opposition to the Catholic Church. This was not about exclusion, bigotry, hatred or intolerance – in fact, it was quite the opposite. Father’s decision was congruent with the teachings of the Catholic Faith and the authority entrusted to him by our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Perhaps your anger and frustration have less to do with the couple’s experience at St. Jerome and are more closely linked with precepts Roman Catholics fully accept as inherent and redeeming aspects of their Faith – authority and suffering.

On a final note, it’s important to remember none of us is without sin. We all must face the shortcomings and behaviors that separate us from Christ. Those of us who attend St. Jerome, or any Catholic Church do so with the understanding we are sinners in need of salvation. We fully accept and embrace the teachings of our faith; recognize and support the authority given to our Church leaders and continually work toward communion with God.

I do hope my comments brought clarity to the discussion.
major leager

Muskego, WI

#24 Jan 23, 2009
can't we all get along and respect the differences?
Mike

United States

#25 Feb 1, 2009
The Catholic church does not respect homosexuality and get along with it.
Homosexuals can choose to comply with Roman Catholic Doctrine or they can choose another church.
St.Jerome Parish and Father John Yockey are both wonderful.
only1post

United States

#26 Apr 25, 2009
the homosexual parents should find another church and school where their child would be welcome - that is, if they are truly interested in the childs' well being. Continuing this rage against a church and school is not serving the child's interest. What is the goal - serving the child or USING this child/situation to reverse an entire belief system?
ELS

Janesville, WI

#27 May 5, 2009
Shane from Wauwatosa wrote:
I would love to know how many of their members practice birth control, had children out of wedlock, had pre-marital sex,had abortions, committed adultry, etc, etc. If they want a "sin free" congregation according to the tenets of the Catholic church, they better brace for a lot of empty pews based on an inquisition into "violations". Maybe they feel heterosexual sins are not as serious. What would Christ really do? Banish innocent children from a Catholic education?
The sad thing is, they do "banish" or well I guess a better way to say it would be...they make you no longer feel welcome at their church. I was baptised at St. Jeromes, had my first communion there,went to St. Jeromes for 8 yrs and shortly after turning 18 I got pregnant, they refused to baptize my daughter, then 8 months after my daughter was born I was planning my wedding and as a child, who went to St. Jeromes, always dreamed of being married in that church, they refused to marry me, now they would take my weekly $5.00, and the $100.00 I spent every year on the raffle tickets but made me feel like a complete failure, letdown, disgrace to the church, that I actually turned away from my catholic beliefs, in fact turned away from religion in general...how was it that all the while I was growing up they taught me not to judge, and that the only person who is able to judge is God, and that God LOVES everybody, and accepts everybody that accepts him...I couldn't believe they were doing this to me.
I am not the only person who has had these issues with St. Jeromes, and that is the saddest part of it all.
Good news though, when a door closes...God opens a window, and that window to me is St. Catherines on Hwy P in Oconomowoc, accepted me for who I am and gave me reason to believe again :)
ocon catholic

Madison, WI

#28 May 12, 2009
the Word of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1:27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Leviticus 18:22 You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act.
Leviticus 20:13 If a man has sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman, the two of them have committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves.
There you have it...from God Himself...
Oh for heavens to betsy...GOD said it? How do you know? Because someone wrote it down and said that God said it! It's a good thing most people don't believe what they hear or read or we would all be in serious trouble.
I have a hard time believing that its not okay to be gay but back in "the day" Adam and Eve and such...they had sex with their kids, grandkids, brothers and sisters and that was ok.
I like to believe that GOD loves ALL!!!! No matter what as long as you believe in him, and love him, he accepts you as you do him.
Conversion

Greenwood, IN

#29 May 25, 2009
It is so sad that this child must pay for the sins of the parents;personally, I don't agree with the decision made. We are to hate the sin but love the sinner. Jesus told the woman who was not stoned to turn away from her sin and no longer do it. The Catholic Church does not condone actively practicing homosexuals. Two men cannot procreate. Two women cannot procreate. Marriage is a sacrament, a covenant. A marriage is between one man and one woman; they become one, and nine months later, that one is given a name; that is some of the natural law writen by God in our hearts. St. Paul learned the teachings of Jesus from Jesus Himself during Paul's 3 days of blindness. The apostles were given the gifts of the Holy Spirit before they went out and preached on Pentecost; they did not preach they thought, but what was given to them by God the Holy Spirit. John's Gospel ends Jn 21:25 "There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these things were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written." I'm trying to respond to a few of the things posted earlier. It is so easy to criticize what you do not have knowledge of. Attend and RCIA class to learn of the Catholic faith, then criticize knowledgeably.
Lastly, I don't condemn the entire public school system because hundreds of teachers have abused children over the years. God bless us all!
DWTST

Middleton, WI

#30 Jun 25, 2009
You people are hilarious! As Catholics, you think you are free to condemn anyone who doesn't fit the mold of a good Catholic. That's such a farce. If you were really practicing what you're preaching, you would all be expelled from the Catholic Church. The reason that that won't happen is because then your priests, bishops, cardinals, pope, etc. would have to give up their lavish lifestyles.

As I read through this entire thread, I could only come to one conclusion. If, as Catholics, you are supposed to ignore you homosexual tendencies, then that would lead me to believe that all of your priests are GAY!(Except for the ones who molest boys - they're pedofiles and Gay! Go figure!

I was raised Lutheran - in Oconomowoc - and married a Catholic. We married in my church and invited a priest who was a friend of my husband's family to participate in the service. I did this for my husband's family, not for my husband, because he really didn't care one way or another.

One evening my mother-in-law-to-be and the priest visited my parents house to "ask them questions." Was I baptized - yes, my parents said and then had to prove it with my baptismal certificate. Their answer alone was not sufficient - as non-Catholics they couldn't be trusted to tell the truth! HA!

It was when the priest asked my parents about my future husband and I having children that my parents politely said that this was none of their (my parent's) business (which it wasn't). My parents were not, after all, going to be raising children if we decided to have them, so really it wasn't any of their business.

Then the priest told them to assume that yes, indeed, my husband and I did have children, we would raise them in the Catholic church, right? Again my parents said this was a decision for my husband and me to make, and they would never provide their 2-cents, so to speak.

Of course, then it was my turn for the Catholic inquisition. I knew that whatever I was asked, I would not lie, and that if the Catholic church didn't approve of our marriage, that was their problem, and not mine.

When the priest got to "those" questions, I told him that whether or not we ever had children was a decision that we would make based on what we want. We would never have kids because the Catholic church said we were supposed to. I then told the priest that if we did have children, church would be family affair. Given that my husband's job often had him away for weeks at a time, I would not drop my kids off at a Catholic church, head for the Lutheran church myself, and then pick up my kids after church. I told the priest that I would never become a Catholic myself because there was too much that I could not condone in the Catholic church - their treatment of women, their praying for the dead, and the "sacrafices" they ask of their members based on complete hogwash.(Did you know that the reason you are supposed to eat fish during lent is that thousands of years ago, fisherman were huge financial supporters of the church? The Catholic Church told their members to eat fish on Friday, which meant more money in the pockets of the fishermen, and thus the church. Where did I hear about this? From a Cardinal at your Vatican!)
In closing, I have never met a GOOD Catholic, one who agrees with all the tenants of the Catholic faith. Everyone of you picks and chooses what you want to believe or follow, and then ignores the rest. I can't blame you.

To the couple who were refused access to the Catholic school, you're better off without them. The public schools in Oconomowoc are great, your child will be educated with diversity, and none of you will be judged. Other churches will welcome you. It's not that you don't fit in at St. Jerome's, it's that St. Jerome's doesn't fit in anywhere except amongst closed minded people who will one day have to answer to OUR God.
Ex St Jeromes parishoner

Milwaukee, WI

#31 Jul 20, 2009
WOW...this church never ceases to amaze me. I was raised in this church and I thought they tought me about love and acceptance. Yet the reality is they only choose to love and accept those that fit their perfect little mold and outcast those that don't. Hmmm, how do you think Jesus would respond to this type of behavior? This poor child has done nothing wrong and neither has its parents, except that they are guilty of love. Won't this world be a better place when we can all accept one another for who we are and not the color of our skin or who we love. Shame on you St. Jerome's! This child will be better off not attending your school as you clearly teach judgement and discrimination. No thank you! I learned enough of that while attending your school and church as a child. Keep it up and your flock will surely dissappear.
mackmans747 wrote:
I will be posting information on Topix and other locations regarding St. Jerome's church refusing to allow a child to attend their school. The reason? The child was adopted by parents of the same gender. St. Jerome's has decided to punish the child because of the sexual preferences of the parents.
Even if you and your children meet the social and economic requirements to attend this apparent exclusive (and uninclusive) institution, you should still be disappointed. This church has apparently stopped worshiping Christ and is now only worshiping the Vatican.
This is not an isolated incident. There are numerous accounts of people being rejected by St. Jerome's because they do not fit their mold. Usually however, they only reject people if they live together prior to marriage or refuse to baptize children if the parents aren't married or have been remarried.
More information will follow. If anyone has any information about this or wishes to comment please do. We as Catholics are called to love. This is not love. Its the exclusion of it.
no name

AOL

#32 Jul 27, 2009
Most important thing to do now is to have prayer. the world needs it badly. just rejoice in the lord always. remember, that these are the last days. May God Bless everyone!
Vern Larson

New Berlin, WI

#33 Sep 9, 2011
Are you serious, Clark!!
St. Jerome's is worshipping the Living Bible that teaches that homosexuality is not acceptable. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with the Vatican, as the Vatican is following biblical principles,also.
Other denominations may be folding their tents on biblical values and principles, but St. Jerome's Church and other churches are not. God bless FAther John, St. Jerome's Church and their leadership for standing up for what we believe is right. No one is "punishing" anyone for defending our Christian beliefs.
We will continue to commit ourselves to what the bible teaches us and will not be swayed by human interpretation or deception of these teachings.
Gus

Oconomowoc, WI

#34 Apr 20, 2013
Hooray for St Jerome Church. Those of you who disagree with a CATHOLIC CHURCH practicing Catholic values, are welcome to your opinion. Unfortunately St Jerome Catholic Church doesn't need to heed your opinion. Take good care!!
no name

Watertown, WI

#35 Jul 1, 2013
St. Jerome parish is not a very welcoming parish. Very sad....and I really wish they would stop getting rid of excellent teachers in the middle of the year just because Fr. John doesn't like them...or a parent doesn't like them...no compassion at all..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oconomowoc Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) Thu Aaron Salmon 7,040
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Pro People 2,234
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 31 BOBBY 452
Hotel maid caught me jerking off in room and wa... Jul '14 jerkoffdude 2
homes for unwed mothers in 1957 (May '11) Jul '14 Kaye 6
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
WI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in W... (Oct '10) Apr '14 Tealiban faschists 45
•••
•••
•••

Oconomowoc Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oconomowoc People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Oconomowoc News, Events & Info