Ocilla Star and the schools
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The truth hurts

Perry, GA

#21 Oct 15, 2011
Isn't it time to lay all this garbage to rest? Good, qualified people were hired by the former and current superintedent of schools and board of education...both seem to be doing a great job. Lets put all this crap to rest and allow the folks in our schools to spend their time on trying to operate a school system on a budget that has been gutted by the legislature and former governor of this state.
Let's encourage the disabled (ha ha ha) former EMC employee to find a new job to occupy his time(but oh god please DO NOT ELECT HIM TO THE EMC BOARD)
Kurious

Rincon, GA

#22 Nov 17, 2011
Do you have any idea how many people are employeed at the boe office? Any idea how many are hired in the Ben Hill County and Tift County boe offices? Does Ocilla have more than these larger systems?

Our boe office is top heavy. The super is great. His assistants, what do you think?

Any idea how many assistant superintendents the state allots the system? Anything over that is paid with local money. NO state money.
The truth hurts wrote:
Isn't it time to lay all this garbage to rest? Good, qualified people were hired by the former and current superintedent of schools and board of education...both seem to be doing a great job. Lets put all this crap to rest and allow the folks in our schools to spend their time on trying to operate a school system on a budget that has been gutted by the legislature and former governor of this state.
Let's encourage the disabled (ha ha ha) former EMC employee to find a new job to occupy his time(but oh god please DO NOT ELECT HIM TO THE EMC BOARD)
fish for bass

Nashville, GA

#23 Nov 21, 2011
Check out the salaries online...it's public knowledge that's easy to find on the state website. Why is it that teachers in the irwin county school system have such wide salary gaps? Teachers that are "connected" to certain people make significantly more money than other teachers with higher credentials and more experience. Ever wonder why our property taxes are so high? Because our pathetic leaders want to take from the county citizens and keep it in the family. I say it's high time to protest against the Irwin County Board of Education. They always say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Let's see if we can make enough noise to get some personnel changes in our school system.
Jonah

Ocilla, GA

#24 Nov 23, 2011
fish for bass wrote:
Check out the salaries online...it's public knowledge that's easy to find on the state website. Why is it that teachers in the irwin county school system have such wide salary gaps? Teachers that are "connected" to certain people make significantly more money than other teachers with higher credentials and more experience. Ever wonder why our property taxes are so high? Because our pathetic leaders want to take from the county citizens and keep it in the family. I say it's high time to protest against the Irwin County Board of Education. They always say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Let's see if we can make enough noise to get some personnel changes in our school system.
The reason for differences in salaries are due to tenure and levels of education of the teacher, administrator, etc. The local board, in any county, is at the mercy of the state merit system and any increase set by the state has to be followed on the local level. An increase from the state necessarily means an increase in benefits to the teacher,admin., parapro. Some of the benefits, which are mandated from the state, is picked up on the local level. But, the state does pick up the lion's share of the salary. This is the same for all schools systems in the state. A first year teacher with a masters will not make the same as a 15 year teacher with a doctorate. It has nothing to do with a "squeaky wheel." You are ignorant and choose to be so.
Jonah

Ocilla, GA

#25 Nov 23, 2011
Kurious wrote:
Do you have any idea how many people are employeed at the boe office? Any idea how many are hired in the Ben Hill County and Tift County boe offices? Does Ocilla have more than these larger systems?
Our boe office is top heavy. The super is great. His assistants, what do you think?
Any idea how many assistant superintendents the state allots the system? Anything over that is paid with local money. NO state money.
<quoted text>
I am not sure which system you are asking about since your town states "Chickamauga."
fish for bass

Rebecca, GA

#26 Nov 23, 2011
Sir jonah, please get back in your ark and sail on my friend. You are living in the dark ages. I happen to be a teacher in a neighboring county and know first hand of a teacher down the hall that just started last year with a masters and makes 8200.00 more per year than I do. I have a masters with 15 years tenure. So, explain to everyone again how tenure determines if you make more than someone with the same credentials.
Jonah

Ocilla, GA

#27 Nov 28, 2011
fish for bass wrote:
Sir jonah, please get back in your ark and sail on my friend. You are living in the dark ages. I happen to be a teacher in a neighboring county and know first hand of a teacher down the hall that just started last year with a masters and makes 8200.00 more per year than I do. I have a masters with 15 years tenure. So, explain to everyone again how tenure determines if you make more than someone with the same credentials.
Maybe you need to look at your abilities, also. Why are you so concerned with Irwin Schools if you are in a "neighboring county?" What do you teach and what does the teacher "down the hall" teach? Does the other teacher have any other certifications that you may not know about?
fish for bass

Valdosta, GA

#28 Nov 28, 2011
Exact same credentials but I teach English and the other teaches Math. The two of us are friends and talk all the time so I feel confident I know what the deal is. Maybe it was just a recruiting thing or maybe the person interviewed well.
Citizen

Rincon, GA

#29 Nov 28, 2011
Teachers who teach Math, Science, Special Education, and other subjects with students at risk "at times" get an additional supplement from their counties. The amount of money is not based on who you are, but what you teach. This is part of the No Child Left Behind Act.
fish for bass

Tama, IA

#30 Nov 28, 2011
I understand completely...maybe it's just me but 8200.00 per year seems a little too high for supplemental pay.
Lindsey

Eveleth, MN

#31 Feb 23, 2012
This week's Star had an article about the last boe meeting. Sounded like a lot of people were at the last boe meeting. Wonder whats going on?
star

Douglas, GA

#32 Feb 23, 2012
teachers need to teach and learn kids not have them to give them feet rubs and shoulder masages in school feet is nasty and that is not teaching the kids eudication at irwin county school.that is just not right.
Lindsey

Eveleth, MN

#33 Feb 25, 2012
what in the world
star wrote:
teachers need to teach and learn kids not have them to give them feet rubs and shoulder masages in school feet is nasty and that is not teaching the kids eudication at irwin county school.that is just not right.
Uncle Kracker

Perry, GA

#34 Feb 28, 2012
The citizens should stage a "occupy protest" against the board office. demand an election of new people and kick all the old money hogs out.
Just me

Pavo, GA

#35 Mar 2, 2012
How many of the administrative staff have been asked to take furlough days? Our teachers...those who have direct contact with our children, those who are educating our children, are being told to do so! Oh, they can take it on a planning day...and come in & work for free!!??! And you know what, I won't be surprised if most of them show up. Our teachers care about our kids! Wouldn't it be a nice gesture for the admin. staff to take a pay cut? Put that extra money towards teacher's pay? Not even sure this COULD be done, but there's gotta be something else that could be done.
Lindsey

Eveleth, MN

#36 Mar 3, 2012
In the past when furlough days were assigned, a;most all the teachers went in and worked a regular (for that teacher)) day. That means somewhere between 8-10 or 12 hours.

Teachers have been told the buildings will be locked durng thiese furlough days and that they are not to come in to work at all.
Just me wrote:
How many of the administrative staff have been asked to take furlough days? Our teachers...those who have direct contact with our children, those who are educating our children, are being told to do so! Oh, they can take it on a planning day...and come in & work for free!!??! And you know what, I won't be surprised if most of them show up. Our teachers care about our kids! Wouldn't it be a nice gesture for the admin. staff to take a pay cut? Put that extra money towards teacher's pay? Not even sure this COULD be done, but there's gotta be something else that could be done.
Sam

Moultrie, GA

#37 Jul 11, 2012
The School super should be ELECTED! That way we can throw the bum out! As for the bsahing of the former emc employee, he is straight doing the right thing!
Jonah

Ocilla, GA

#38 Jul 12, 2012
"Sam" from Hahira....bashing, not bsahing. Election of a superintendent means that even you may be eligible to run. We don't know what you do in Hahira, but I am sure you couldn't handle being superintendent. If you really want a mess, elect someone who has never set foot in a classroom other than occupying a desk for 12 (or less!) years, never ran anything but his or her mouth, never set foot in an administrator's office unless they were in trouble at elementary school, or have never seen a school budget much less federal and state rules for running schools. Yes sir, that is why we want an "elected" superintendent.(Sarcasm)
Fitz Hurricane

Moultrie, GA

#39 Jul 27, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Teachers who teach Math, Science, Special Education, and other subjects with students at risk "at times" get an additional supplement from their counties. The amount of money is not based on who you are, but what you teach. This is part of the No Child Left Behind Act.
No, this is not true in all systems. Most teachers get no extra pay regardless of what they teach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wiregrass Georgia Technical College 1 hr The one who knows 1
Donna gandy Wed haha 3
Pretty girls that have got FAT Wed Danny Newnan 12
anyone know a victoria dalton/folsom (Sep '09) Wed Tressa 25
ufo Wed sife 2
Irwin Tue FHS 4
Chad Williamson Jul 24 chris 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ocilla Mortgages