Ocilla Star and the schools

Posted in the Ocilla Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yowzer

Virginia, MN

#1 Jun 30, 2011
anybody see the ocilla star and the articles and letter to the editor anout the schools? whats going on?
fooled in the mountains

Macon, GA

#2 Jul 1, 2011
Just a bunch of people pissed cause they can't get on the board or be hired for a position. Most times in these cases, people don't have a clue what's going on, so they come to their own conclusions.
I am curious

Virginia, MN

#3 Jul 9, 2011
Another letter or two in the paper again this week. Seems to get deeper and deeper. The ones that know the truth can't speak out because they know they will get in trouble, lose their jobs,. Is the new coach English certified? Are you local to Ocilla> where do you get your information? Do you trust your source?Could you share more details?
fooled in the mountains wrote:
Just a bunch of people pissed cause they can't get on the board or be hired for a position. Most times in these cases, people don't have a clue what's going on, so they come to their own conclusions.
Brenda

Eveleth, MN

#4 Jul 12, 2011
Heard there was a crpwd at the Bd of Ed meeting Monday night? What's the reason?
I am curious wrote:
Another letter or two in the paper again this week. Seems to get deeper and deeper. The ones that know the truth can't speak out because they know they will get in trouble, lose their jobs,. Is the new coach English certified? Are you local to Ocilla> where do you get your information? Do you trust your source?Could you share more details?
<quoted text>
Shawn

Canton, GA

#5 Jul 13, 2011
Folks in a small town looking for ghosts when there aren't any. No large crowd at the board meeting. Folks just need something to talk about.
whats going on

United States

#6 Jul 21, 2011
Whats the big stir up about the board
Treated Fairly

Virginia, MN

#7 Jul 24, 2011
I don't know much about this whole stirrup besides of what I've been told, but I do believe if someone steps down from their position, it should be voted on by the public to fill that empty seat. Ocilla is all about who's who and that will never change.
All About The Kids

Perry, GA

#8 Jul 27, 2011
You can bet it is not about someone wanting to get on the board or a job. It is about the kids. When you have a superintendent that steps in and a long time board member that resigns ("so that his daughter would be able to get promotion")then the plan starts coming together. Bobby Conner goes in a superintendent, long time friend and family member John Hudson,who is a farmer (and as we know ALL FARMERS are having a BAD BAD year)steps down from the BOE and slides right into a job as BUS shop supervisor. He also got a slaray of about $20,000.00 more than what the other candidates were told. SEVERAL candidates that have been driving a bus or has amost 20 years experience in bus manufactoring were never considered. Bobby Conner gets the last call of who goes to the board. Plus, when you step down off the board you loose your Insurance Benefits!!! Which would not be good for a farmer who is in FINANCIAL trouble as it is. Then Mr. Hudson's daughter get a NEW position as an adminstrator for the grades 6-12. She was the only candidate out of teachers with 15-20 years in the classroom,PhD's and has no history of personal involvement with highschool students brought to the board. She was the ONLY one that was taken to the board for vote b/c the superintendent has the final call as to who to take to the board to vote. The board was slit in voting and the 3rd vote by the board member that has served with Mr. Hudson for years and took his place as chair of course voted for Mrs. Hudson Sirmans. I could go for two days but the bottom line is Irwin County BOE and Bobby Conner should be ashamed to walk the streets. It is time for the "good ole boy" system to be abruptly put to an end!!! It is so sad that these are the people in charge of your kids education!!! You folks in Irwin County better get busy or rename it Hudson/Conner Private School. "KISS OUR BUTTS, ASK NO QUESTIONS AND YOUR KIDS CAN DO WANT THEY WANT" "DO WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO OR TELL ME YOU ARE GONNA SUE AND DISIPLINE FOR YOUR KID WILL NOT EXSIST"! This is what it will be like!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
run it in the ground

United States

#9 Jul 27, 2011
Sandy...get a job and leave the school system alone. We have survived for a long time without ur input!
Irwin County Native

Winter Garden, FL

#10 Jul 27, 2011
Proud of our schools!!! There are a lot of uninformed people making negative comments regarding our schools and the manner in how hiring, etc. are handled. The Ocilla Star has been a major contributor to causing and supporting and creating a great deal of contoversy in our town, community, county, and schools. Not all of Irwin County agrees with the ones stirring up the trouble in the community about our schools and employees. We are a small agricultural community where a great deal of our citizens earn educational degrees and end up teaching, etc. in our schools. It is a shame there are a few uninformed ignorant people out there that misquote the schools' employees and that have a grudge against our system. What the citizens of Ocilla and Irwin County should be doing is supporting the schools, teachers, coaches, superintendent, board members, bus drivers and all others involved in helping the children of Irwin County achieve success and instill in the kids a sense of pride. Give the bashing a break and realize that the Irwin County school system is an outstanding place for our kids and our employees. Why not recognize the positive things happening; like outstanding test scores, more kids receiving academic and athletic scholarships, and the job satisfaction of the employees. If those one or two disgruntled employees and parents aren't happy, there are several surrounding counties with schools where they can go! Just one more thing.....there are a great deal of parents in surrounding counties trying everything they can to get their kids enrolled in our schools. That speaks very highly of the school system and you disgruntled folks out there should think about what idiots you are making of yourselves! I am sure your own kids wish you would just shut up!!!! THANKS TO OUR SCHOOLS AND ITS EMPLOYEES FOR A GREAT JOB!!!!!
All about the kids

Perry, GA

#11 Jul 27, 2011
Who is Sandy? I think you need to talk to your neighbors! You can not be from Irwin Co. and not see the light! Maybe you are and you need to get a JOB!
run it in the ground wrote:
Sandy...get a job and leave the school system alone. We have survived for a long time without ur input!
run it in the ground

United States

#12 Jul 28, 2011
Please refer to Irwin County Native!!!
local

Valdosta, GA

#13 Jul 28, 2011
If you think it's only in Irwin County you need to check the Technical Schools for the Hudson name. One Vice President hires sister in law in good position and then resigns a year later. Not just local anymore. We will see just how far the Hudson name will get you.
Jonah

Canton, GA

#14 Jul 29, 2011
To "All about the kids." Your comments are based on your own willful ignorance. The shop guy is not making 20 k more than the previous shop person and at least 6-7 more candidates were considered and B C was not super. at the time of his hire. You are wrong on all counts on that issue. Board members do not get any insurance benefits. Zero for four so far, "All about the Kids." As far as the hire for the middle school position: You are wrong there, also. All board members, except one, served with the previous member for years also and there still was a split vote...so your "logic" doesn't hold water on the third vote. A super. does not make a recommendation unless it is recommended by those doing the interviews of all the candidates and you do not know all of the qualifications of any of the candidates unless you somehow sat in on executive sessions which are required by law....how do I know all this? Because I ask those in the know and do not depend on "street talk" or The Ocilla Star.
Jan

Canton, GA

#15 Jul 29, 2011
Treated Fairly wrote:
I don't know much about this whole stirrup besides of what I've been told, but I do believe if someone steps down from their position, it should be voted on by the public to fill that empty seat. Ocilla is all about who's who and that will never change.
It is voted on. Local legislation (the law) states currently that such a position be filled by selection of the local board from candidates who submit their names and are from that district....(and several did submit their names according to the local wrapper). That position will then be voted on the next election cycle for the remainder of the term by that seat's constituents (voters)(if I understand the legislation correctly.) Then, when the regular term of that seat is up for re-election, that seat has to run again (whomever that may be.) If you ask your local board, I will bet they would want the legislation changed so that the district voters could vote immediately for the person they want to represent them. Who's who? Sour grapes....
run it in the ground

United States

#16 Jul 29, 2011
On the quote from the paper about bc asking josh "why are you really here"...the oc didn't say that he was there with a friend who was bidding on lawn care. When the guy didn't get the job he left and josh stayed. That is why he asked him the question. Ocilla Star needs to get their facts straight before they start bashing anybody. They need to report the facts not what their opinion is! Bad,bad Ocilla Star!
All About Kids

Perry, GA

#17 Jul 31, 2011
Jonah wrote:
To "All about the kids." Your comments are based on your own willful ignorance. The shop guy is not making 20 k more than the previous shop person and at least 6-7 more candidates were considered and B C was not super. at the time of his hire. You are wrong on all counts on that issue. Board members do not get any insurance benefits. Zero for four so far, "All about the Kids." As far as the hire for the middle school position: You are wrong there, also. All board members, except one, served with the previous member for years also and there still was a split vote...so your "logic" doesn't hold water on the third vote. A super. does not make a recommendation unless it is recommended by those doing the interviews of all the candidates and you do not know all of the qualifications of any of the candidates unless you somehow sat in on executive sessions which are required by law....how do I know all this? Because I ask those in the know and do not depend on "street talk" or The Ocilla Star.
I really feel sorry for you if you believe that garbage. Maybe You need to do a little more research. You might just be suprised. My information did not come from the Ocilla Star. I am gonna attend the next BOE meeting and just ask th questions myself.How is that?
Jonah

Canton, GA

#18 Aug 1, 2011
All About Kids wrote:
<quoted text>
I really feel sorry for you if you believe that garbage. Maybe You need to do a little more research. You might just be suprised. My information did not come from the Ocilla Star. I am gonna attend the next BOE meeting and just ask th questions myself.How is that?
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”
George Bernard Shaw
Missy

Maysville, GA

#19 Oct 7, 2011
Have heard recently that this is not all over. Anyone else know?
Missy

Maysville, GA

#20 Oct 12, 2011
New hire at the Alt School and Pre-K is a good move. Why anyone would want to work at Alt School is beyond understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Budder 4 hr Wanda W 10
look 4 gf 5 hr devindjboy 3
Divorce attorney 10 hr Sam Leonard 1
Former police officer DUI 11 hr Chief 8
Looking for Mar 27 Suzi 1
Any one know of Mar 27 Suzi 1
Moshay from popcast Mar 27 justme 1

Ocilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance