Senior Homecoming Court

Posted in the Ocilla Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Fed Up

Decatur, GA

#1 Sep 5, 2012
When are people going to get fed up with the joke they call a "vote" for homecoming court?? While one group is busy exchanging messages to vote all "one way" , the other group votes across the board for those that honestly deserve it. Student grades, reputation and lifestyle example should be taken into consideration before allowing a name to be placed on the ballot. Coach Billingsley wants everyone to back him with his attempt to disband the "private" dances that do not exclude ANYONE, but refuses to treat situations like this fairly. Had the "vote" been for an all white court, there would have been an outcry the likes of which this town has never seen. But the real problem isn't the color of the representatives, it is the lack of moral compass and lifestyle several of them exhibit with regularity. Either disband the program or do it right!
Fed Up

United States

#2 Sep 5, 2012
Just to add one more tidbit.... Martin Luther King dreamed that his "children would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"! If we can't even hold to that standard in a simple school vote, what hope is there for our future???
student

Thomasville, GA

#3 Sep 5, 2012
yall are idiot racists.... for the past 5 years the senior court has only had one black girl... no rebellion why is it when your snooty girls dont get it that you go crazy??????? apparently the Senior class has spoken and chosen who they thought should represent them
Anonymous

Birmingham, AL

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Nobody had anything to say when the situation was turned and there was only one black girl on the senior court for the past years. Apparently people of both races voted for those girls because they didn't get in there on there own . All the girls that seem to "deserve" it showed their true colors yesterday after the situation. Seems to me you need to re-evaluate the term "representative" . Those same girls acted totally different yesterday after hearing those results. If it was an all white homecoming court everybody would be fine with it . what's done is done .
Lana

Perry, GA

#5 Sep 5, 2012
Billingsley should be ashamed of him self for letting this senior situation happen. An all black senior court is no representing the whole senior class!!! He needs to remember over half of Irwin co. Pays his salary, & this is white people. Since when is it necessary for the principle to be concerned about the social life, concedering this happened after hour on parents watch. I didn't think school was 24 hours yet. White parents you all need to work together as a group & not let the "hot heads" take over. Billingsley I am ashamed of you & your actions. This is delibatering trying to start trouble. If you didn't want to handle the situation, you should have turned it over to the board & superintendent. This black senior court is wrong, & is going to cause trouble. This stinks!!!!! I am ashamed to be from Irwin County. If this is how you let situations go on. Remember you are appointed by the school board
Irwin co tax paying citiz

Perry, GA

#6 Sep 5, 2012
Why can't there be the equal numbers of. Black & white students on the homecoming court. That takes care of both races
Dontknow

Fitzgerald, GA

#7 Sep 5, 2012
Who are the senior reps?

Which white girls Were on the ballots?
Shannon

Fitzgerald, GA

#8 Sep 5, 2012
What should the qualifications be? I am interested in all opinions.

Straight or lesbian okay? Baptist or agnostic? Or atheist? Skinny? fat?

This should be real interesting.
super cracker

Douglas, GA

#9 Sep 5, 2012
when i was in school not too long ago, it was well divided. i dont know what has happened but if it is all black that is a shame. how many white girls were on the ballot ? and this coach shouldnt have any say so in the private dances. the money for these dances are raised by the ones attending and the school has nothing to do with it. the school doesnt help pay for it nor do they have any governing over it, hence the "private" part of it. it is basically a private party. we didnt fuss about all the tax payers money going to pay for the school dances and us haveing to pay for our own. i do believe the private dances do well on their own and dont ask for anything from the school. if they want to make it fair, keep the taxpayers money and make the ones that go to the school dances raise the money to put them on. i bet there wouldnt be one if it was like that. the coach needs to keep his nose out of the private dances and stick to what he is paid for and that is coaching.. and until the school pays for the private dances they need to keep their noses out of it too..
No money

Fitzgerald, GA

#10 Sep 5, 2012
No taxpayer money is used to pay for the public dance. They raise their own money and use that money.
No money

Fitzgerald, GA

#11 Sep 5, 2012
Snooty girls? Where? And, for heaven's sake, WHY??
student wrote:
yall are idiot racists.... for the past 5 years the senior court has only had one black girl... no rebellion why is it when your snooty girls dont get it that you go crazy??????? apparently the Senior class has spoken and chosen who they thought should represent them
super cracker

Douglas, GA

#12 Sep 5, 2012
taxpayer money was used when i was in school. who do you think pays to have the lights to be on and for the heating/cooling at the school while the dance is going on ? do they also pay rent on the school to have the dance ? wow they must raise alot of money to be able to do that with. and the teachers are required to be there for the public dance, not the private one... so yes the taxpayer does pay for it.. get your facts before posting what you dont know...
Lauren

Ocilla, GA

#13 Sep 6, 2012
What years were you in school?

Lights, cooling/heating are already in the school budget and are there for club meetings, ballgames are played, etc. These expenses are planned for and are no problem. If not, the lights and heating/cooling would not be more than $50 for the 3 or 4 hours that the cafeteria is in use that night. The student group raises money through fund-raisers and class dues to pay all the expenses of the prom. School pays nothing. NOTHING is asked for, nor given, unless a principal (of his own volition) decides to kindly make a donation.

Teachers have Duties and Responsibilities in their contracts. These duties and responsibilities are not set out, they are whatever is assigned by admins. They don't get paid for early duty, late duty, field trips, club conventions, chaperoning dances, parties, etc. No extra money there.

Your argument is not valid.

Have a blessed day.
super cracker wrote:
taxpayer money was used when i was in school. who do you think pays to have the lights to be on and for the heating/cooling at the school while the dance is going on ? do they also pay rent on the school to have the dance ? wow they must raise alot of money to be able to do that with. and the teachers are required to be there for the public dance, not the private one... so yes the taxpayer does pay for it.. get your facts before posting what you dont know...
Ally

Fitzgerald, GA

#14 Sep 6, 2012
My son informed me yesterday that yes all the white boys out of all the grades voted for all the blacks and that it was a harmless joke to all the white stuck up girls..They even had it going around on facebook calling it The Joke Vote....And no I do not agree with what has happened but its just a joke ..Its not gonna make or break the girls that didn't get the vote!!!!
super cracker

United States

#15 Sep 6, 2012
Well shut down the school dances and let them have their own and rent a place to have it on their own. Class dues are paid by every student not just the ones going to the school dance. So take the money out for the ones that do not attend and see what's left. It is in the budget so that the blacks aren't left behind. If they didn't sponser a dance for them it would be racist.. And its in there contract so they can't be called racist. I graduated less that 10 years ago and saw this first hand. Why didn't you comment on them trying to shut down the private dance ? It isn't their contracts to put shame on the students for having a private dance. It is up to the students and I believe they have spoken for all these years and that's why there is still a private dance. And by the way, the school sponsers ALL the same dances as the private ones do. Like I said, shut down the school dance and let each party do their own thing. That's the best way to solve this...
ichs graduate

Whigham, GA

#16 Sep 6, 2012
When I was in school there were two represenatives from each grade one black and one white. Representing the Senior class was four 2 black girls and 2 white girls and the whole high school had a chance to vote for the queen. Also the way they voted then, not sure how now, each grade had a list of the girls two cloumns white and black and you chose one from each. I know it sort of divides color but it was equal.

Since: Sep 12

Forsyth, GA

#17 Sep 6, 2012
When it comes down to this little prejudice town there is not a such thing as equal! It's sad that thus had to happen to see just how racists this town is!!!!!!!!!!
ichs graduate wrote:
When I was in school there were two represenatives from each grade one black and one white. Representing the Senior class was four 2 black girls and 2 white girls and the whole high school had a chance to vote for the queen. Also the way they voted then, not sure how now, each grade had a list of the girls two cloumns white and black and you chose one from each. I know it sort of divides color but it was equal.

Since: Sep 12

Forsyth, GA

#18 Sep 6, 2012
In sadden to even read some of the comments that has been posted here! Being in homecoming court is not going to make you successful or give these girls a scholarship! One comment stated that the white guys voted for these girls as a joke to make a point to there own race. Actually it is kind of funny. Looking at FB & twitter I read comments where girls were calling the school ghetto & they don't want to be part of the school anymore. This has been taken to far! Some parents feel that their daughter deserves it more! If you have children then you know that your child is just as important to you as mine us to me! Who are you to judge and put people down? It's not right & if you believe in heaven & hell then you know there is only ine God! We will not be separated in God's Kingdom!
Fed Up

Douglas, GA

#19 Sep 6, 2012
Now, that ticks me off even more!!! It may be a "harmless joke" to you and your thoughtless son but to these girls it is something they have looked forward to for years! Yes, there are some "snooty" white girls, but there are also some thoughtful, kind, honorable and beautiful ones that deserved to be considered. Some of these girls have watched the pageantry of homecoming night and the crowning of the queen since they were little girls hoping and looking forward to their chance to be on that field. So, NO, it isn't a joke to them that a bunch of jerks thought they would put all the white girls in their place! What if your son was passed over for a well deserved award simply because of the street he lives on, or the color of his hair? Shame on him and on you for not teaching him better. He should do the right thing and come clean about this!
Ally wrote:
My son informed me yesterday that yes all the white boys out of all the grades voted for all the blacks and that it was a harmless joke to all the white stuck up girls..They even had it going around on facebook calling it The Joke Vote....And no I do not agree with what has happened but its just a joke ..Its not gonna make or break the girls that didn't get the vote!!!!
Yo Mama

Fitzgerald, GA

#20 Sep 6, 2012
There are a few really nice girls, black or white, in the senior class at ichs. There are some average ones, then there are the ones you hope your son doesn't bring home, as a joke or not.

I have heard some of the names and was sort of surprised, one I was amazed. Many students voting don't care how the girls conduct themselves. Trashy, classy, good girl or slut.....kids don't care who represents them, in most cases, and as we are finding out, think it is funny.. Too many of them see nothing wrong with being disrespectful, hateful and rude to parents, teachers and classmates.

Homecoming is a joke to many folks at school and in the community. Perhaps these girls who were out campaigning so hard for the spots on the court should check into Toddlers and Tiarras?
Fed Up wrote:
Now, that ticks me off even more!!! It may be a "harmless joke" to you and your thoughtless son but to these girls it is something they have looked forward to for years! Yes, there are some "snooty" white girls, but there are also some thoughtful, kind, honorable and beautiful ones that deserved to be considered. Some of these girls have watched the pageantry of homecoming night and the crowning of the queen since they were little girls hoping and looking forward to their chance to be on that field. So, NO, it isn't a joke to them that a bunch of jerks thought they would put all the white girls in their place! What if your son was passed over for a well deserved award simply because of the street he lives on, or the color of his hair? Shame on him and on you for not teaching him better. He should do the right thing and come clean about this!
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irwin football...nobles play calling losses ano... (Dec '15) 14 min Fan 9
Edd jones Sat Chief 11
Big Andy Sat Biggestloooser 1
Black are racist. Dec 15 Chief 11
Home sweet home Dec 14 Suzanne 2
Horses Dec 13 G-Money 5
News 10 arrested in street drugs probe (Aug '09) Dec 13 Jfox123 18

Ocilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance