3-year-old girl drowns in Hewlett swimming pool

Full story: Newsday 37
A 3-year-old girl drowned in a swimming pool in Hewlett Sunday, Nassau County police said. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AUNT ELVIRA

Chesterfield, MO

#25 Jul 17, 2007
Dirty Sanchez wrote:
Here we go again. What's wrong with parents today?
I guess "Anthony's Law" didn't get passed quickly enough.
Anthony's law was suggested to take the blame off the parents and put it somewhere else....basically all it did was keep his mother from going to jail and taking the responsibility for not watching her son, I am his Aunt and I would never support that law...his mother was sound asleep and he was three houses away, so there was no way she was ever going to hear that alarm. She was a stay home mother with no other responsibilities other then taking care of her son, my brother worked 14 hour days so she could be there. Iím very sorry for this family's loss as I am very sorry for my family's loss...but I'm sorry I will say it again, there is more to this story just like there was more to our story, but trust me you are never going to hear the real facts. They will only tell you what sells papers. believe me I know they never told the truth about the events that surrounded the death of my nephew...god help how much we miss him....my wish is that people can learn from this and take extra precaution when it comes to their children...and if you really want to pass a law make a law that holds parents responsible for their children.... As a mother, I would be first in line to support that law.....God Bless you Chloe, I hope you and Anthony find each other in HEAVENÖ
PoconoWeeze

Lebanon, PA

#26 Jul 19, 2007
AUNT ELVIRA wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony's law was suggested to take the blame off the parents and put it somewhere else....basically all it did was keep his mother from going to jail and taking the responsibility for not watching her son, I am his Aunt and I would never support that law...his mother was sound asleep and he was three houses away, so there was no way she was ever going to hear that alarm. She was a stay home mother with no other responsibilities other then taking care of her son, my brother worked 14 hour days so she could be there. Iím very sorry for this family's loss as I am very sorry for my family's loss...but I'm sorry I will say it again, there is more to this story just like there was more to our story, but trust me you are never going to hear the real facts. They will only tell you what sells papers. believe me I know they never told the truth about the events that surrounded the death of my nephew...god help how much we miss him....my wish is that people can learn from this and take extra precaution when it comes to their children...and if you really want to pass a law make a law that holds parents responsible for their children.... As a mother, I would be first in line to support that law.....God Bless you Chloe, I hope you and Anthony find each other in HEAVENÖ
Know what? I had a pool and 3 kids they never went in till I was there watching them and a few friends. Never lost one, even when I took them to the beach, I'd put my chair right by the water and had another friend with us. Again never lost one. The burden is on the parents. Unfortunatly some parents don't parent or maybe have other problems like a drug habit or somethingelse. It is up to the people who gave birth to the kids to watch over them.
Margaret ONeill

Freehold, NJ

#27 Jul 21, 2007
I am a relative of the Marcinanis family and have just returned from the funeral of baby Chloe. While I am a private person, I feel that I cannot sit here and read (or hear) the way this story has been covered.
Chloe's death was a tragic accident, but it was just that: an accident. I am so angry and frustrated at the one sided portrayal of my cousins as monsters. I must admit that had I not known these people, I probably would have believed the "facts" as they appeared in the story.
There are two sides to every story. Maybe Newday is upset that my cousins have been too grief stricken to speak with them. I also thought it was cruel that they had a reporter standing outside of the funeral home, asking my family if we wanted to comment about the story.
We have all suffered a tragedy at the loss of Chloe, but I can not even begin to imagine the horror of having to look at my own child lying in a casket. My cousins are inconsolable and don't need your blame because they blame themselves, as any loving parent would. Also, to set the record straight, my cousin never said that he was busy "doing his own thing".
I pray that none of you ever have to experience what these poor people have been going through.
In my opinion, Newsday is no better than the Star or the Enquirer. Lies make better stories.

For those of you who believe that you are above tragedy, there is a saying: "There but for the Grace of God go I. Don't be so quick to judge, especially when you don't know these people or have all of the facts.

I love my family and the thought of their other children having to read some of these cruel comments makes me sick to my stomach.
Finally

Jericho, NY

#28 Jul 21, 2007
Ms. Oneill,

I am sorry that the family of this girl has to go through the pain of a loss at such a young age, knowing her own parents could have but didn't prevent her death poses a difficult situation for extended family. In addition to the article there has been another alleged family memeber defending these parents on these boards. She/He says the parents weren't negligient, they only were lulled into a false sense of security because the child feared the pool so they didn't think she'd wind up in it. There are accidents and there are accidents waiting to happen. There were 2 parents in the household at the time of this child's death, do you dispute that?
There was a pool connected to the house by a deck, do you dispute that?
By virtue of the child ending up in the pool, some have surmised that access to the deck leading to the pool was not properly secured, do you dispute that?
The father admitted, however poorly worded, that neither he nor the mother of this child were looking after her, do you dispute that?

Yes accidents do happen, even when basic precautions are taken, so what in God's name did these parents think would happen when virtually none were taken? They should blame themselves, because it is their fault. If it makes you feel better to say "accidents do happen", then you have to get through this however you can. As I have stated in previous posts, parents know we can not keep an eye on our children 24/7, and most parents prepare for that. We do not leave our children's safety up to the will of the Gods. It is not by "accident" that most children do NOT drown in their backyard pools, it is because proper measures are taken to prevent it. It is not LUCK, it is not being a "perfect" parent. It is being responsible because we know that even with precautions in place, terrible things can happen. Am I wrong? Were there layers of security that this child broke through to get to the pool? Was the other family member wrong about the child's fear of the pool being the main safeguard these parents relied upon? What are the facts that you know that would make us all understand how this tragedy happened? What facts are being left out that would stop people from looking at your cousin's with disgust? Please do tell us, maybe some of us can learn about safety precautions that don't work so we don't rely on them? Will you tell us? Can you tell us? Or is there nothing to tell?

Margaret ONeill

AOL

#29 Jul 22, 2007
If it makes you feel better to pontificate, then so be it. I don't have the time or energy for your cross examination, nor do I need to explain anything to you. I notice that you enjoy making comments in an anonymous fashion. You might try focusing on your own life instead of spending your days commenting on others. How about attending law school? It must be nice living in a world where you can sit in judgment of others. God Bless You, you need it.
Finally

Jericho, NY

#30 Jul 22, 2007
Margaret ONeill wrote:
If it makes you feel better to pontificate, then so be it. I don't have the time or energy for your cross examination, nor do I need to explain anything to you. I notice that you enjoy making comments in an anonymous fashion. You might try focusing on your own life instead of spending your days commenting on others. How about attending law school? It must be nice living in a world where you can sit in judgment of others. God Bless You, you need it.
I completely expected the "I do not have to explain..." answer because you can't can you? They did what was said and there is no explanation, is there? I do hope that the 11 y/o can overcome the horror that he will have to endure (also thanks to mom and dad), that is where my pity lies, with him and also with extended family members who now have to suffer the loss and try to excuse to themselves and others the pain that Chloe's parents have caused through their negligience.
Samantha Botte

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Jul 24, 2007
I cant belive she is gone. I miss her so much. It was lke just yesterday I was at her Bday party when she was in her lepard liatard<3 she came to my brother birthday/halloween party as a litte angel hopeful she rest in peace. ILU CLOE<3
Samantha Botte

Brooklyn, NY

#32 Jul 24, 2007
Margaret ONeill wrote:
I am a relative of the Marcinanis family and have just returned from the funeral of baby Chloe. While I am a private person, I feel that I cannot sit here and read (or hear) the way this story has been covered.
Chloe's death was a tragic accident, but it was just that: an accident. I am so angry and frustrated at the one sided portrayal of my cousins as monsters. I must admit that had I not known these people, I probably would have believed the "facts" as they appeared in the story.
There are two sides to every story. Maybe Newday is upset that my cousins have been too grief stricken to speak with them. I also thought it was cruel that they had a reporter standing outside of the funeral home, asking my family if we wanted to comment about the story.
We have all suffered a tragedy at the loss of Chloe, but I can not even begin to imagine the horror of having to look at my own child lying in a casket. My cousins are inconsolable and don't need your blame because they blame themselves, as any loving parent would. Also, to set the record straight, my cousin never said that he was busy "doing his own thing".
I pray that none of you ever have to experience what these poor people have been going through.
In my opinion, Newsday is no better than the Star or the Enquirer. Lies make better stories.
For those of you who believe that you are above tragedy, there is a saying: "There but for the Grace of God go I. Don't be so quick to judge, especially when you don't know these people or have all of the facts.
I love my family and the thought of their other children having to read some of these cruel comments makes me sick to my stomach.
Well im very sorry about your loss ii loved her so much. She was so cute<3. She came to my brother halloween party as a little angel<3 she was so cute the hole party adored her so much. RIP
Skye family member

Las Vegas, NV

#33 Feb 6, 2008
PoconoWeeze wrote:
<quoted text> Know what? I had a pool and 3 kids they never went in till I was there watching them and a few friends. Never lost one, even when I took them to the beach, I'd put my chair right by the water and had another friend with us. Again never lost one. The burden is on the parents. Unfortunatly some parents don't parent or maybe have other problems like a drug habit or somethingelse. It is up to the people who gave birth to the kids to watch over them.
WOW WOW WOW back the frick up right there! You are one of the many resons people are getting Chloes story all twisted up, Her parents where not "drug dealers" They dont smoke nor drink, There kids get the best, One of there sons are in collage and the other straight A's! These girls where treated like princess. Very happy family, Very loveing and suportive. Seven moths have went by since Chloes death, there parents are STILL heart stricken as the day she died. Go wiggle your fingures else where. Where are you children right now? Do you know they are there for fact? Chloe wasnt, it only took a second.
I love you Chloe.
kokaine kudlow

New York, NY

#34 Feb 19, 2008
what happened to the poor deli owner who got arrested when the NCPD blocked off broadway in order to try and save the kid.. I hope he was able to get an apology from the people involved, after all, he lost over an hours worth of business. can he apply for a tax break?
need to know

New York, NY

#35 May 5, 2008
what happened to the poor deli owner who got arrested when the NCPD blocked off broadway in order to try and save the kid.. I hope he was able to get an apology from the people involved, after all, he lost over an hours worth of business. can he apply for a tax break? Can we take up a collection for him....
Crazy

Dover, NJ

#36 May 5, 2008
need to know wrote:
what happened to the poor deli owner who got arrested when the NCPD blocked off broadway in order to try and save the kid.. I hope he was able to get an apology from the people involved, after all, he lost over an hours worth of business. can he apply for a tax break? Can we take up a collection for him....
Wow, poor, hard working guys always get the brunt of things.
america today

New York, NY

#37 May 6, 2008
maybe he can lobby bush for a tax break, with any luck, they go to the same Bill W. meeting....
obama

New York, NY

#38 Feb 2, 2009
Will that poor deli owner be part of the stimulus plan? can he get back the monies he lost for the hour he was closed....
Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, poor, hard working guys always get the brunt of things.
whatever happened

South Ozone Park, NY

#39 Mar 8, 2010
to that poor deli owner who lost three hours woth of business when the police made him close the area for the drowning investigation. I hope he got restitution. He was the guy that almost got arrested for making a scene.
i believe

South Ozone Park, NY

#40 Dec 15, 2011
does anybody know if the deli/coffee shop owner who was forced to close his shop for three hours was provided restitution. after all he may be a 1%er. I hope he is OK.
A Rich Tightwad

Ridgewood, NY

#41 Feb 13, 2014
i believe wrote:
does anybody know if the deli/coffee shop owner who was forced to close his shop for three hours was provided restitution. after all he may be a 1%er. I hope he is OK.
Any word on this? Was the owner able to get some money for his loss of business or at least some sympathy ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
women would you castrate you husbands? Fri della 3
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Thu Jlevine 10
An Evening with Kal Penn at Adelphi University Jan 29 Adelphi University 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Bayside (Dec '13) Jan 28 Sandy L 19
The two faces of Harvey Finkelstein (Dec '07) Jan 28 steveshake 60
Two shot in head after fight breaks out in Quee... Jan 27 Holotta Wytrache 3
Snow storm Jan 27 Hornymonkey 2

Winter Storm Watch for Nassau County was issued at January 31 at 3:50PM EST

Oceanside News Video

Oceanside Dating