How To Write A Best Seller ...

How To Write A Best Seller

Posted in the Oceanside Forum

Thankful Strother

Vista, CA

#1 Mar 11, 2013
ALIEN IN THE DELTA is currently on Amazon.com Best Seller Books List in the categories of Rural-Life-Humor-Entertainment

I decided one day to write a book "Alien in the Delta," in which I write about my life growing up in rural Southeast Arkansas between 1949 and 1961 as well as my later adult life in the military and corporate America.

Written more as personal memoir than conventional autobiography going by the pen name Thankful Strother, I share with the reader both a personal narrative of facts and feelings in a concise and credible 200-page work.

Six years in the making, now retired in San Diego County I was inspired to write after some light nudging by my daughter, Christine, who regularly listened to the stories about my life as she grew up.

She kept telling me that I ought to be writing this down, that I ought to write a book, so about six years ago, I started going out to the Tamarack Beach with a personal tape recorder and dictating one story at a time.

About 14 tapes later, I was ready to commit to writing, and it all came together.

The project morphed into its present form. My original vision for it was an autobiography, but along the way, more commentary became associated with it. I wanted to leave a legacy, not just a collection of facts.

The time line comes against the familiar backdrop of recent American post-World War II history, including the segregation, prejudice and inequality that was synonymous with the times and growing up in the Arkansas Delta.

I don’t solely focus on the hardness of the times I grew up in. I share in equal part my feelings of amusement, happiness, and sense of humor, and my rises above stereotypical thinking, reflective, but never bitter about adversity I faced.

Alien in the Delta narrative brings the contrast of the rural South to experiences I had later in life, such as living in Germany in the 1960s and later being in the corporate world, where I worked for such tech giants as NCR and AT&T.

I am not really trying to be anything to anyone; I just wanted to tell these stories of things I experienced, and I feel that in itself in a wonderful accomplishment. There was excitement, humor and history with those times.

http://thankfulst.blogspot.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aliso Viejo eliminated at sub-divisional Jul 28 marg 1
Help me get dripping wet I dare you (; (Jan '15) Jul 27 Rebel Fighter 7
News Fake Uber driver cruises Oceanside and Carlsbad... Jul 27 RIGHTEOUS CBAD RE... 2
2003 Chevy Trailblazer-CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND R... (Dec '11) Jul 25 The genius 248
News Showered with nothing Jul 24 obummer451 1
News Oceanside is stepping up its game to attract to... Jul 18 obummer451 1
Medical Health "Not Covered or Will Not Covered Jul 17 Csurvivor06 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oceanside Mortgages